QB #1

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

1catz
BobcatNation Redshirt

QB #1

Post by 1catz » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:40 pm

I don't want to start a controversy but it is obviously a question now. Chambers performed above and beyond my expectations and Tommy was our hero last year. What do you guys think we should do moving forward? It's a tossup for me. I expect Coach Vigen will go with the two headed monster but I would prefer that he picks one QB. Not sure what the right decision is but curious what others are thinking?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB #1

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:43 pm

I'd personally start Chambers and have Tommy be the change up for now. But here is your answer.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 2d769.html

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:52 pm

1catz wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:40 pm
I don't want to start a controversy but it is obviously a question now. Chambers performed above and beyond my expectations and Tommy was our hero last year. What do you guys think we should do moving forward? It's a tossup for me. I expect Coach Vigen will go with the two headed monster but I would prefer that he picks one QB. Not sure what the right decision is but curious what others are thinking?
Like I said on another thread, Tommy’s been hurt once every four games. He’s obviously a threat and a player you don’t want to keep on the sidelines, but I just don’t know how long his career will last at this rate at being the primary QB1. He is the more versatile QB out of the two so unless Chambers completely falls apart, I wouldn’t mind seeing Chambers as the QB1 and taking the majority of the snaps/hits and using Tommy as a WR, getting some fly sweeps and the random QB touches, etc and lessening the amount of hits he takes as long as we still get good production from Chambers.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:55 pm

1catz wrote:
Go away gris troll.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

1catz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 1catz » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:58 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:52 pm
1catz wrote:
Like I said on another thread, Tommy’s been hurt once every four games. He’s obviously a threat and a player you don’t want to keep on the sidelines, but I just don’t know how long his career will last at this rate at being the primary QB1. He is the more versatile QB out of the two so unless Chambers completely falls apart, I wouldn’t mind seeing Chambers as the QB1 and taking the majority of the snaps/hits and using Tommy as a WR, getting some fly sweeps and the random QB touches, etc and lessening the amount of hits he takes as long as we still get good production from Chambers.
Thanks for your reply. Who do you think is the better passer? I used to think it was Tommy now I think they are about the same. Chambers throws a great deep ball but might not be as adept at quick slants as Tommy

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:04 pm

1catz wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:58 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
1catz wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Who do you think is the better passer? I used to think it was Tommy now I think they are about the same. Chambers throws a great deep ball but might not be as adept at quick slants as Tommy
Sean might be better right now but he's also a redshirt junior compared to Tommy as a true sophomore. I just think we know Chamber's ceiling but Tommy's is still TBD. I also think both are going to have to play every game this year to maximize the teams potential and keep each other healthy.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:05 pm

1catz wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:58 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
1catz wrote:
I think they’re both about the same, but last night Chambers looked very good passing, but it’s too early to tell if that was a fluke or not, either way I don’t think one is noticeably better than the other. Obviously both QBs are somewhat injury prone athletes, but I just feel just on his built and stature, Chambers is more reliable to sustain the hits that the QB1 will take over the QB1A.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:47 am

That’s like saying “not to get political but”

However, I’ll bite. This is a great situation to have. They are very similar but also different in how they approach the run and passing game. Teams will have to prepare each week for those two styles. That’s a lot of film. This is very much a QB1 a/b scenario.
Last edited by GeauxCats41 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:49 am

Good problem to have since we run the ball so much out of that position. I'm comfortable with either back there.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:49 am

I've been curious about this since Saturday night but if Chambers does take QB1 and run away with it, we obviously have to get Tommy on the field one way or another. What position would you like to see him in in the future (remember, this is just a hypothetical) I think the two obvious choices are WR or S and I think he'd be a really good replacement for Manning at FS next year. Thoughts?

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:08 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:49 am
I've been curious about this since Saturday night but if Chambers does take QB1 and run away with it, we obviously have to get Tommy on the field one way or another. What position would you like to see him in in the future (remember, this is just a hypothetical) I think the two obvious choices are WR or S and I think he'd be a really good replacement for Manning at FS next year. Thoughts?
We have so many in the safety pool who have a couple years under their belts. That will develop fine.

Who’s going to partner with Sean back there if we move Tommy?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:12 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
I don't see Tommy playing anywhere but offense the remainder of his career. He'll be QB1A at worst the rest of this season and if some of the freshmen surpass him next offseason he'll slide back into the "Tommy" utility role (WR/RB/QB3). We lose essentially all of our WR production to graduation/eligibility so there will be plenty of opportunity at that position if that's how things fall out.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:34 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:08 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
We have so many in the safety pool who have a couple years under their belts. That will develop fine.

Good point and I didn't clarify but I meant starting next season. I'm hoping that Jordan Reed will be recovered and be a solid QB2 if not better so I was thinking we need to get Tommy on the field somehow. The other post had a good point about losing a lot of our starting WR's this year so we'd definitely need to look into that. Whatever the coaches decide to do, I trust that they'll make the right decision. All of the position switches they've made since they've been here (Troy from OLB to MLB, Hardy from OLB to DE, Wehr from DL to OL) seem to have paid huge dividends for the team so I'll trust that they'll get it right. I just wanted to know what some of you think would be Tommy's best position if he (hypothetically, of course) isn't our QB anymore. I'll make that my Golden Coolie question this week!

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:53 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:34 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:08 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Good point and I didn't clarify but I meant starting next season. I'm hoping that Jordan Reed will be recovered and be a solid QB2 if not better so I was thinking we need to get Tommy on the field somehow. The other post had a good point about losing a lot of our starting WR's this year so we'd definitely need to look into that. Whatever the coaches decide to do, I trust that they'll make the right decision. All of the position switches they've made since they've been here (Troy from OLB to MLB, Hardy from OLB to DE, Wehr from DL to OL) seem to have paid huge dividends for the team so I'll trust that they'll get it right. I just wanted to know what some of you think would be Tommy's best position if he (hypothetically, of course) isn't our QB anymore. I'll make that my Golden Coolie question this week!
Absolutely, I think your sentiment, along with others is that Tommy is too good of an athlete to NOT be on the field. I will 100% admit he would make a great defensive player… QB’s have great minds. I believe we have a few ex-QB’s on defense. Tommy would be able to pick up schemes so easily. But tackling and tackling correctly is a huge skill set that sometimes takes awhile. I also think we have a great depth there coming up with some redshirt guys. Tommy is best suited on offense. I still think at QB. Tommy is better than QB3-5 by a little ways. Sean also isn’t indestructible, that’s why most of us are fans of this system. We can split the Carries 3-4 ways between 2 QB and 2 RB and run the ball 50 times a game. QB1a/b is imperative for their health.

Sorry for the long winded post, something to also consider is while it might be Tommy’s BEST secondary position, does it help the team noticeably? Example: what if he’s an amazing LB and only a step above the current player? Or is he best suited at slot where it’s not the most natural but he’s much much better than the alternative and it helps the team way more going forward.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:04 am

As much as I'd like to see a clear, consistent QB1, I think MSU needs to use both. QB is such a streaky position and guys play out of their mind or lose their mojo. Sean said the other night the game slowed down for him. I think when that happens in any sport, you have just gotten to a new level of success as an individual athlete. I don't think that always lasts forever though, and when you put in the next guy and the next guy hasn't been seeing meaningful, significant game reps, he's not going to have much success.

Before Saturday night, the expectation when Chambers came in the game was that it would be a QB run, or at least a read where it was 50/50 that the QB was going to keep it. Now teams have to worry about both guys throwing and running. If both are on the field, defenses have to have personnel that can handle anything. Based on that, MSU can make some pre-snap calls to take advantage of weaknesses.

Both QBs have fairly significant injury history, so I think you have to keep both ready. If Chambers hadn't been playing regularly, he might not have had as much success against EWU when Mellott went down.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am

Tommy is the QB and he’s not moving from it. Good grief, talk about short memories.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:24 pm

Thank you.

First, you should never lose your job due to injuries. Otherwise, players will hide injuries from the coaching staff. If you don't think this is an issue, you really DO have a short memory.

Second, I saw a superstar FCS QB emerge in the playoffs last year. I love that Chambers is here to take pressure off of TM - especially on the ground - but some of you have rose-colored glasses on with respect to Chambers' passing ability. Don't get me wrong, he can make some amazing throws, but I also seem to remember an awful throw against Davis that a defender thankfully dropped.

To put things in perspective, Chambers' rating this week was just over 180. A fantastic week throwing the football. Mellott has two games last season with a ranking over 240. The first was at Sam Houston and the 2nd vs. South Dakota State University. Mellott ran for 2 TD in both games. Against SDSU, he had 155 rushing yards. SDSU!

So before you create a QB controversy in your head that will never be realized, at least account for your recency bias. TM has done it better, and against better defenses. Chambers is phenomenal as a backup QB that would likely start for every other Big Sky team. He is also unbelievable as a 2nd QB/RB in the same backfield as the QB that I believe will bring something to Bozeman that hasn't been there since 1984.

Housewright and Vigen have built what might be the best FCS offense (with all weapons healthy) out of good o-line play, a tremendous running game, and a game plan that stretches the field vertically and from sideline-to-sideline. The brilliance of Housewright is that he builds gameplans around the players he has and the defenses MSU will face. His adaptability allows both players to not only coexist, but also both significantly impact the outcome of the game.

This brings us back to the first point. The worst offensive performance last year happened when a game plan was built around a very important player rumored to be keeping the extent of their injury quiet in the hopes of keeping their starting job.

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am
Tommy is the QB and he’s not moving from it. Good grief, talk about short memories.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:29 pm

The designation of "QB1" is irrelevant for this team. Tommy and Sean are two of the most talented players MSU has on offense, and when healthy both will play a lot. Which one takes the first snap of the game...who cares.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:46 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:29 pm
The designation of "QB1" is irrelevant for this team. Tommy and Sean are two of the most talented players MSU has on offense, and when healthy both will play a lot. Which one takes the first snap of the game...who cares.
My feelings exactly.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:45 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:46 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:29 pm
My feelings exactly.
100% agree. If you're an NFL team and you have Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen (I just couldn't get myself to type Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady lol) on the same team, you play them both.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!