2022-23 Brawl Series

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2022-23 Brawl Series

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:27 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:03 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 am
Montana State is beating Montana in every conceivable way. Even internet, parking spots, media seating, in game concessions, water….
And book sales.
In all fairness; UM keeps buying their athletes books but all they do is eat the covers off the books.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:29 pm

Has anything changed?

https://missoulian.com/news/local/barne ... 43584.html

Someone told me MSU's bookstore had to take over management of UM's bookstore after Barnes and Noble went bankrupt.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:40 pm

The MSU Bookstore runs the M Store, not the UM Bookstore.

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:23 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:24 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Montana State is beating Montana in every conceivable way. Even internet, parking spots, media seating, in game concessions, water….
LOL!!!

I'm not sure about the water part. I used the water bottle fill stations at the stadium this year a couple times and it was awful. Almost tasted like straight bleach. So maybe we give the advantage on water to our friends over the hill. They need to have something to hang their hats on!
I mean...UM DOES have a river...

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:03 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:23 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

I'm not sure about the water part. I used the water bottle fill stations at the stadium this year a couple times and it was awful. Almost tasted like straight bleach. So maybe we give the advantage on water to our friends over the hill. They need to have something to hang their hats on!
and Monte was crushing it the other night as the Cats were beating the Griz.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:40 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:03 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but Monte seems to have lost a step. Also, he's sometimes out of position like during free throws he's no where near as distractive as in past years. I haven't seen Minnie Monte around lately, is he still part of the show?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 am

Cledus wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And book sales.
We’re any of us even alive the last time the griz won the canned food drive?
Ha! Unfortunately I was. Bobcats have won 18 of last 22 canned food drives. I thought I remembered we lost in 2020 so pulled up the article attached…..the Griz contributed more “pounds” of food in 2020 but the Cats contributed more “cash”. Don’t know how they scored that one. I’ll take the cash.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-news/ca ... ompetition

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:35 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:33 am
Cledus wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And book sales.
We’re any of us even alive the last time the griz won the canned food drive?
Ha! Unfortunately I was. Bobcats have won 18 of last 22 canned food drives. I thought I remembered we lost in 2020 so pulled up the article attached…..the Griz contributed more “pounds” of food in 2020 but the Cats contributed more “cash”. Don’t know how they scored that one. I’ll take the cash.

https://www.kbzk.com/news/local-news/ca ... ompetition
Edit: since we won in 2022 the total would be 19 of the last 23 annual food drives.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:40 pm
catatac wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but Monte seems to have lost a step. Also, he's sometimes out of position like during free throws he's no where near as distractive as in past years. I haven't seen Minnie Monte around lately, is he still part of the show?
Maybe with the issues at the CCofM they have had to cut back staff.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:55 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:16 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 am
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:11 pm
CatBot wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:59 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:12 am
How many Brawl of the Wild series have we won in a row now? THE STREAK!!!!
2016 was the last time the gris won.
I don't mean to pick on Colter, but I thought I would mention some history. Back with Bobcat Beat, Colter wrote a long post on here after dUMb won another Brawl Series. He talked about all the reasons why dUMb just takes athletics more seriously and invests more than MSU, and MSU may never win one again. At the time it pissed me off pretty bad.

Since that post, MSU has never lost. So there you go.
At that time, Colter probably wasn't wrong to write that story. I remember being incredibly frustrated with MSU's lack of success in direct competition against UM in most sports. In the Spring of 2016, MSU had just fired its football coach and was on a 3-game losing streak to UM. Men's basketball was mired in mediocrity under Brian Fish while Travis DeCuire was contending yearly for championships, and women's basketball under Coach Binford was improving but still hadn't won its first championship yet - Robin Selvig retired in 2016 and most (wrongly it turned out) assumed they'd continue their success under Shannon Schweyen. MSU volleyball had made a series of bad coaching hires and was a perennial bottom-dweller in the Big Sky.

Since then, MSU has made good hire after good hire (Jeff Choate, Leon Costello, Danny Sprinkle, Brent Vigen) while UM has stagnated or gotten worse in all of the major sports. Now we're at a spot where the media could easily write the same story in the opposite direction!
Yea I think we have some short memories here. The mid 2010s were not a pretty time in MSU athletics (but not awful). Football had that nice run from 2010-2013, but it wasn't until Choate that we started beating the Griz and then making the playoffs in 2018. Men's basketball was stuck in the .400s and hadn't even sniffed the tournament championship since Huse's squad lost to Portland State in 2009, and the Griz were running the Big Sky and MSU. Women's basketball was doing fairly well under Binford but was still losing to the Griz 4 times out of 5 and wasn't until 2017 that the Cats would go dancing, literally the 1st year after Rovin Selvig retired. Hate to say it but that was the turning point for the Ladies, Selvig's retirement.

But since I'd say about 2017 it's been mostly MSU not only in the rivalry but in the Big Sky and nationally. And it seems like that trend is only growing. For perhaps the first time in my adult fandom as a Cat fan I can say without any bias that MSU is the better athletic program, top to bottom, across nearly every single sport. And acedemic institution!
FIFY
You might want to re-FIFY. I'm not the grammar police, but maybe the only word I would ever bring up being misspelled is academic...
😆

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:22 am

lutecat wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:55 am
grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:16 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 am
MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:11 pm
CatBot wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:59 pm
Cledus wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:12 am
How many Brawl of the Wild series have we won in a row now? THE STREAK!!!!
2016 was the last time the gris won.
I don't mean to pick on Colter, but I thought I would mention some history. Back with Bobcat Beat, Colter wrote a long post on here after dUMb won another Brawl Series. He talked about all the reasons why dUMb just takes athletics more seriously and invests more than MSU, and MSU may never win one again. At the time it pissed me off pretty bad.

Since that post, MSU has never lost. So there you go.
At that time, Colter probably wasn't wrong to write that story. I remember being incredibly frustrated with MSU's lack of success in direct competition against UM in most sports. In the Spring of 2016, MSU had just fired its football coach and was on a 3-game losing streak to UM. Men's basketball was mired in mediocrity under Brian Fish while Travis DeCuire was contending yearly for championships, and women's basketball under Coach Binford was improving but still hadn't won its first championship yet - Robin Selvig retired in 2016 and most (wrongly it turned out) assumed they'd continue their success under Shannon Schweyen. MSU volleyball had made a series of bad coaching hires and was a perennial bottom-dweller in the Big Sky.

Since then, MSU has made good hire after good hire (Jeff Choate, Leon Costello, Danny Sprinkle, Brent Vigen) while UM has stagnated or gotten worse in all of the major sports. Now we're at a spot where the media could easily write the same story in the opposite direction!
Yea I think we have some short memories here. The mid 2010s were not a pretty time in MSU athletics (but not awful). Football had that nice run from 2010-2013, but it wasn't until Choate that we started beating the Griz and then making the playoffs in 2018. Men's basketball was stuck in the .400s and hadn't even sniffed the tournament championship since Huse's squad lost to Portland State in 2009, and the Griz were running the Big Sky and MSU. Women's basketball was doing fairly well under Binford but was still losing to the Griz 4 times out of 5 and wasn't until 2017 that the Cats would go dancing, literally the 1st year after Rovin Selvig retired. Hate to say it but that was the turning point for the Ladies, Selvig's retirement.

But since I'd say about 2017 it's been mostly MSU not only in the rivalry but in the Big Sky and nationally. And it seems like that trend is only growing. For perhaps the first time in my adult fandom as a Cat fan I can say without any bias that MSU is the better athletic program, top to bottom, across nearly every single sport. And acedemic institution!
FIFY
You might want to re-FIFY. I'm not the grammar police, but maybe the only word I would ever bring up being misspelled is academic...
😆

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 am

RickRund wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 am
Rich K wrote:
catatac wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

In any event, Champ is clearly superior to Monte.

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:20 am

Rich K wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 am
RickRund wrote:
Rich K wrote:
catatac wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

Oh, please. You guys have a leg up on us in most sports, but not the mascots. Champ has improved over the years but Monte is one of the best in the country still.

And my signature line is better than yours! :lol:

Go Dark Brandon!!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:45 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:20 am
Rich K wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:57 am
RickRund wrote:
Rich K wrote:
catatac wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

Oh, please. You guys have a leg up on us in most sports, but not the mascots. Champ has improved over the years but Monte is one of the best in the country still.

And my signature line is better than yours! :lol:
For a gris fan you are normally fairly level headed, but not in this instance.
Over the years I have consistently stood up for Monte. Just check how many times, on this board, I have proclaimed "They still have Monte..."
However, Monte just doesn't kick it any more and it shows. What used to be a vibrant national champion mascot has become a mere shadow of himself.
Champ is rocking it! He's got it going and kids swarm him as he's molding those future Bobcats into forever fans. It shows up in every way from the classroom to the President's office. Everybody loves Champ!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:00 pm

8 -2

If I heard that correctly. First time the Cats have swept BB,WB,and football the same school year.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:37 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:23 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:00 pm
8 -2

If I heard that correctly. First time the Cats have swept BB,WB,and football the same school year.
Damn. Was just wondering about that leaving the game! There can't have been many BB only sweeps either with how dominant Selvig and the Lady Griz were for so long.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:00 am

One more point and it is ours!

I think it's in the bag now. We are a much better track program so you would have to think at least one of them goes our way.

How sweet would a 15-2 overall series be? Domination!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:46 pm

Hopefully Matt Houk can do something about that 2.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:15 pm

Who’s idea was it to have a Brawl of the Wild annual series?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber