2022-23 Brawl Series

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2022-23 Brawl Series

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:12 am

How many Brawl of the Wild series have we won in a row now? THE STREAK!!!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:12 am
2016 was the last time the gris won.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:57 pm

What's the over under for points we get this season? I'm asking we get at least 7 more. So let's put the over under at 14. I'm calling 14-3.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:07 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:57 pm
What's the over under for points we get this season? I'm asking we get at least 7 more. So let's put the over under at 14. I'm calling 14-3.
I'd guess either 14-3 or 13-4. MSU should get at least one more basketball point and all four T&F points which puts them at 11 or 12. The other sports are M/W tennis and W golf, which I don't follow closely enough to be able to predict.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:59 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:24 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
I don't mean to pick on Colter, but I thought I would mention some history. Back with Bobcat Beat, Colter wrote a long post on here after dUMb won another Brawl Series. He talked about all the reasons why dUMb just takes athletics more seriously and invests more than MSU, and MSU may never win one again. At the time it pissed me off pretty bad.

Since that post, MSU has never lost. So there you go.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:29 pm

This shows the history and what events are left. GO CATS!!

https://msubobcats.com/sports/2014/2/17 ... 41119.aspx

Punters are people too!!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:11 pm

CatBot wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:59 pm
Cledus wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
I don't mean to pick on Colter, but I thought I would mention some history. Back with Bobcat Beat, Colter wrote a long post on here after dUMb won another Brawl Series. He talked about all the reasons why dUMb just takes athletics more seriously and invests more than MSU, and MSU may never win one again. At the time it pissed me off pretty bad.

At that time, Colter probably wasn't wrong to write that story. I remember being incredibly frustrated with MSU's lack of success in direct competition against UM in most sports. In the Spring of 2016, MSU had just fired its football coach and was on a 3-game losing streak to UM. Men's basketball was mired in mediocrity under Brian Fish while Travis DeCuire was contending yearly for championships, and women's basketball under Coach Binford was improving but still hadn't won its first championship yet - Robin Selvig retired in 2016 and most (wrongly it turned out) assumed they'd continue their success under Shannon Schweyen. MSU volleyball had made a series of bad coaching hires and was a perennial bottom-dweller in the Big Sky.

Since then, MSU has made good hire after good hire (Jeff Choate, Leon Costello, Danny Sprinkle, Brent Vigen) while UM has stagnated or gotten worse in all of the major sports. Now we're at a spot where the media could easily write the same story in the opposite direction!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:57 pm

While "Colter Naunez hates my team" just doesn't roll off the tongue like "Sam Herder hates my team" maybe Colter is missing an opportunity for a Big Sky Conference version.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:16 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:57 pm
While "Colter Naunez hates my team" just doesn't roll off the tongue like "Sam Herder hates my team" maybe Colter is missing an opportunity for a Big Sky Conference version.
:lol: :lol: That’s true. The “hates my team” rolling off the tongue part.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:40 am

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:11 pm
CatBot wrote:
Cledus wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

At that time, Colter probably wasn't wrong to write that story. I remember being incredibly frustrated with MSU's lack of success in direct competition against UM in most sports. In the Spring of 2016, MSU had just fired its football coach and was on a 3-game losing streak to UM. Men's basketball was mired in mediocrity under Brian Fish while Travis DeCuire was contending yearly for championships, and women's basketball under Coach Binford was improving but still hadn't won its first championship yet - Robin Selvig retired in 2016 and most (wrongly it turned out) assumed they'd continue their success under Shannon Schweyen. MSU volleyball had made a series of bad coaching hires and was a perennial bottom-dweller in the Big Sky.

Since then, MSU has made good hire after good hire (Jeff Choate, Leon Costello, Danny Sprinkle, Brent Vigen) while UM has stagnated or gotten worse in all of the major sports. Now we're at a spot where the media could easily write the same story in the opposite direction!
There was a couple of articles like that a week or so after this last Cat/gris football beatdown, and if I remember correctly even Coulter had one :shock: that said that MSU was in firm control right now.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 am

Montana State is beating Montana in every conceivable way. Even internet, parking spots, media seating, in game concessions, water….

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:03 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:57 am
Montana State is beating Montana in every conceivable way. Even internet, parking spots, media seating, in game concessions, water….
And book sales.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:13 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:03 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And book sales.
UM isn't even ahead in coaches named Hauck(Houk) anymore!

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:24 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

I'm not sure about the water part. I used the water bottle fill stations at the stadium this year a couple times and it was awful. Almost tasted like straight bleach. So maybe we give the advantage on water to our friends over the hill. They need to have something to hang their hats on!

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 am

MSU01 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Cledus wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Yea I think we have some short memories here. The mid 2010s were not a pretty time in MSU athletics (but not awful). Football had that nice run from 2010-2013, but it wasn't until Choate that we started beating the Griz and then making the playoffs in 2018. Men's basketball was stuck in the .400s and hadn't even sniffed the tournament championship since Huse's squad lost to Portland State in 2009, and the Griz were running the Big Sky and MSU. Women's basketball was doing fairly well under Binford but was still losing to the Griz 4 times out of 5 and wasn't until 2017 that the Cats would go dancing, literally the 1st year after Rovin Selvig retired. Hate to say it but that was the turning point for the Ladies, Selvig's retirement.

But since I'd say about 2017 it's been mostly MSU not only in the rivalry but in the Big Sky and nationally. And it seems like that trend is only growing. For perhaps the first time in my adult fandom as a Cat fan I can say without any bias that MSU is the better athletic program, top to bottom, across nearly every single sport.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:24 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
LOL!!!

I'm not sure about the water part. I used the water bottle fill stations at the stadium this year a couple times and it was awful. Almost tasted like straight bleach. So maybe we give the advantage on water to our friends over the hill. They need to have something to hang their hats on!
DumB leads the Cats in coaches that look like Beavis.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:14 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Heard on 'ice' as well due to the fact that UM's graduating senior took the recipe with them...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:16 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 am
MSU01 wrote:
CatBot wrote:
Cledus wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Yea I think we have some short memories here. The mid 2010s were not a pretty time in MSU athletics (but not awful). Football had that nice run from 2010-2013, but it wasn't until Choate that we started beating the Griz and then making the playoffs in 2018. Men's basketball was stuck in the .400s and hadn't even sniffed the tournament championship since Huse's squad lost to Portland State in 2009, and the Griz were running the Big Sky and MSU. Women's basketball was doing fairly well under Binford but was still losing to the Griz 4 times out of 5 and wasn't until 2017 that the Cats would go dancing, literally the 1st year after Rovin Selvig retired. Hate to say it but that was the turning point for the Ladies, Selvig's retirement.

But since I'd say about 2017 it's been mostly MSU not only in the rivalry but in the Big Sky and nationally. And it seems like that trend is only growing. For perhaps the first time in my adult fandom as a Cat fan I can say without any bias that MSU is the better athletic program, top to bottom, across nearly every single sport. And acedemic institution!
FIFY

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:08 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And book sales.
We’re any of us even alive the last time the griz won the canned food drive?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:29 pm

Cledus wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:08 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
And book sales.
We’re any of us even alive the last time the griz won the canned food drive?
Truth be told most um grads are on food stamps working at McDonald's and need support from the bobcat food drive.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back