Injuries?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Injuries?

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:35 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:24 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:06 am
gtapp wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:54 am
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:07 pm
Is it just me, or is the spate of injuries last year and this a little out of the usual? We’ve had plenty of players both years not even make it out of camp and to the games. Lots and lots of surgeries. I know strength and conditioning has a lot to do with it and we pretty quietly (it seemed) turned over that department awhile back. And what of over-use? Is all this “double-repping” along with which are said to be more physical practices simply wearing our guys out? I’m just trying to understand why we’re continuing to maintain the rate of pretty serious injuries.
For strength and conditioning to be effective 2 things have to be present: 1) Eating the right kinds of food and the right amount of food that fit your goals and 2) Working out with INTENSITY. We used to define intensity as throwing up or passing out. Well I am not saying you need to do either but you have to push your body near it's limits to get any benefit. When you do that 3 things can happen: 1) You move closer to your goals (faster, stronger, bigger, quicker), 2) you get injured or 3) you fatigue the muscle, joint, tendon, etc. It's this last one that becomes a concern because you can't tell it is happening. You feel good and then one wrong move in practice, a game, walking to class and bang something goes. I think there are 105 players on the football team. It is impossible to design a workout(s) to put everyone in a position to get better. Every single body is different and sometimes that means a player will get hurt and it could be directly or indirectly related to his workout. That is what makes this job so hard to do. I trust our strength and conditioning staff because I believe the new head trainer came from Dane Fletchers gym and I know Dane knows his stuff (especially as it relates to football). Injuries are such a crap shoot. They come in waves and I am not sure any program has figured out how to prevent them.
I know at least a couple guys are going to a place called Stretch Lab in Bozeman to focus on flexibility in addition to their strength. It seems like that's been a big part of Tom Brady's ability to stay healthy. But you're right...it is a total crapshoot. I'm sure there are things that some programs do that lead to more injuries, but even in the NFL where they have the best training staffs and strength staffs, you see guys going down all the time. It's just nice for them that they have practice squads to draw from and can pick somebody up off waivers to fill spots.
Nobody will every convince me that Tom Brady isn't on some expensive cocktail drugs that can't be detected yet. That just isn't normal at all.
Yeah I think that's fair. I know they've changed the rules a lot to protect quarterbacks and I know he's a freak about his health, but you'd have to think in 23 seasons he'd have been a little more beat up.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:37 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:37 am
How many did the Gris lose last year? 3? 4?
Not in week 2...

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:48 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:35 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Is it just me, or is the spate of injuries last year and this a little out of the usual? We’ve had plenty of players both years not even make it out of camp and to the games. Lots and lots of surgeries. I know strength and conditioning has a lot to do with it and we pretty quietly (it seemed) turned over that department awhile back. And what of over-use? Is all this “double-repping” along with which are said to be more physical practices simply wearing our guys out? I’m just trying to understand why we’re continuing to maintain the rate of pretty serious injuries.
For strength and conditioning to be effective 2 things have to be present: 1) Eating the right kinds of food and the right amount of food that fit your goals and 2) Working out with INTENSITY. We used to define intensity as throwing up or passing out. Well I am not saying you need to do either but you have to push your body near it's limits to get any benefit. When you do that 3 things can happen: 1) You move closer to your goals (faster, stronger, bigger, quicker), 2) you get injured or 3) you fatigue the muscle, joint, tendon, etc. It's this last one that becomes a concern because you can't tell it is happening. You feel good and then one wrong move in practice, a game, walking to class and bang something goes. I think there are 105 players on the football team. It is impossible to design a workout(s) to put everyone in a position to get better. Every single body is different and sometimes that means a player will get hurt and it could be directly or indirectly related to his workout. That is what makes this job so hard to do. I trust our strength and conditioning staff because I believe the new head trainer came from Dane Fletchers gym and I know Dane knows his stuff (especially as it relates to football). Injuries are such a crap shoot. They come in waves and I am not sure any program has figured out how to prevent them.
I know at least a couple guys are going to a place called Stretch Lab in Bozeman to focus on flexibility in addition to their strength. It seems like that's been a big part of Tom Brady's ability to stay healthy. But you're right...it is a total crapshoot. I'm sure there are things that some programs do that lead to more injuries, but even in the NFL where they have the best training staffs and strength staffs, you see guys going down all the time. It's just nice for them that they have practice squads to draw from and can pick somebody up off waivers to fill spots.
Nobody will every convince me that Tom Brady isn't on some expensive cocktail drugs that can't be detected yet. That just isn't normal at all.
Yeah I think that's fair. I know they've changed the rules a lot to protect quarterbacks and I know he's a freak about his health, but you'd have to think in 23 seasons he'd have been a little more beat up.

Oh, come on!

https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/inj ... -brady/753

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... uccaneers/

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:52 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
It's not even the injuries for me. His arm is performing as well at 45 as it did at 25. That's just not natural, and I don't believe that stretching is responsible for that. With that said, I also believe few players are as diligent as Brady is with his body.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:57 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:48 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Oh, come on!

I've had that many injuries mowing my lawn in the last 23 years!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:05 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:57 am
Cat Grad wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Oh, come on!

Don't spend all day at the Sitting Duck or the old bowling alley that's been converted before getting on the riding mower then! Those yards can be a bit tricky where some of the houses are built!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:07 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:05 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Oh, come on!

Don't spend all day at the Sitting Duck or the old bowling alley that's been converted before getting on the riding mower then! Those yards can be a bit tricky where some of the houses are built!
Shockingly accurate. That's good advice!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:15 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:07 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:05 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:

Oh, come on!

Shockingly accurate. That's good advice!

In actuality, I've been amazed at how tough some people are (pain tolerance level?) such as some distance runners especially and as those two articles demonstarte, Tom Brady. Garrison Hearst blew a knee out in high school, played all through college and several years in the NFL before having surgery. Lots of examples. Paul Shafer. Chip Hobbs.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:34 am

Vigen made it official that Williams is done, tough break for the kid.
Jared White's injury is "serious" but they'll know more. I assume he's out for at least a month.

I'm guessing the coaching staff is working 1-2 guys out at RB this week that aren't listed at RB. They gave Tayvian Williams a go against Morehead State. I'm guessing there is one or two other guys on the roster that no one expects that will get some reps in practice this week.

Looking through the roster:
Miles Jackson played RB in high school, 152 carries for 1,254 yards and 17 touchdowns
Aiden Parks ran the ball 111 times in high school

bleh
Last edited by CelticCat on Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:34 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:22 am
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:00 am
onceacat wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:29 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:35 am
This RB situation is crazy. I can’t remember a position group ever having this bad of luck for an ENTIRE SEASON, let alone the first 2 games….

Unbelievable.

I hope garret coon is ready to go this week.
The DL in about 2014 or 2015.

The OL in about 2011.

But, yeah. Its ugly for sure.
Except the "DL" and "OL" are not 1 position. Imagine losing 4 Nose tackles, or 4 centers, and you have our situation at RB.
Losing Valdez, and then someone almost as good, then another almost as good, then another almost as good, Is a wild thought.
Knock on wood.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:46 am

I am curious in regards to the injury bug about nutrition. I know we have nutrition stations and I know that the coaching staff is well pleased with the strength training. What I am referring to is nutrition for bones and tendons such as Collagen’s and the like. Not an expert. But at my age I’ve definitely noticed a difference since I’ve improved my nutrition in those areas. My job is very physical

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:02 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:34 am
Jared White's injury is "serious" but they'll know more. I assume he's out for at least a month.

I'm guessing the coaching staff is working 1-2 guys out at RB this week that aren't listed at RB. They gave Tayvian Williams a go against Morehead State. I'm guessing there is one or two other guys on the roster that no one expects that will get some reps in practice this week.

Miles Jackson played RB in high school, 152 carries for 1,254 yards and 17 touchdowns

bleh
Pretty sure White broke his leg.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:21 pm

Is it too late to call anyone back from this:

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcats_FB/statu ... 1185112067

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:23 pm

I wish Hosey would've stayed.

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by duelalumnicat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:27 pm

Did Coach Vigen say that Garrett Coon is not available? Is that due to injury? Or academics? Will he be available later in the season?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:29 pm

Coon is available, sounds like he had been nursing something but should be good for Oregon State.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:07 pm

Per Vigen's presser today:
Coon practiced today and will be available.
Lane Sumner still hurt, will not play this week.
Jared White will be out a minimum of 2 months, possibly the season.
Simeon Woodard will be back this week.

Last edited by 91catAlum on Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:07 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:02 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:34 am

bleh
Pretty sure White broke his leg.
Jesus...

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:18 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:52 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
It's not even the injuries for me. His arm is performing as well at 45 as it did at 25. That's just not natural, and I don't believe that stretching is responsible for that. With that said, I also believe few players are as diligent as Brady is with his body.
Argumentive, what do you suppose Branch Brady or Tom Ferch is doing?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:37 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:07 pm
Per Vigen's presser today:
Coon practiced today and will be available.
Lane Sumner still hurt, will not play this week.
Jared White will be out a minimum of 2 months, possibly the season.
Simeon Woodard will be back this week.

Yeah I guess the silver lining with White is that we now get to redshirt him.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."