What's the real scoop on the QB situation?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

What's the real scoop on the QB situation?

Post by catatac » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:28 pm

Listening to some of the interviews, it sounds like there might actually be a true competition going on between Mellott and Chambers for QB1? Yes, they're usually going to say it's an open competition and all positions are open if someone better comes along, but is there a real chance Chambers beats out Mellott for the starting position? Or, is there a real chance we run with somewhat of a 2 QB system? Crazy to think about - that Mellott is the pre season all conference QB in the Big Sky and he might not be the best QB on our team. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: What's the real scoop on the QB situation?

Post by Cataholic » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 pm

There is no need to manufacture some type of controversy. Posts like this with absolutely no backing do nothing for the fan base or the team. The spring game where Chambers threw a number of interceptions and made multiple bad throws/decisions did nothing to show that he is anywhere near challenging for the starting gig. Heck, do you think MSU brought Tommy down to the Big Sky kickoff because he is going to sit?

Sorry for the terse post, but quit manufacturing controversy unless you have something of substance to back it up.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:03 pm

Tommy is QB1. However, the plan isn't to run him 35 times like he did against SDSU so be ready to see a heavy dose of Sean Chambers running the ball this year. And no...it won't be the Travis Jonsen "fake toss that doesn't ever actually turn into a toss" play. Sean can spin it and he took shots in the spring game. Anyway, Tommy is the captain of the offense and Chambers will be part of the offense in some capacity as well.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 pm
There is no need to manufacture some type of controversy. Posts like this with absolutely no backing do nothing for the fan base or the team. The spring game where Chambers threw a number of interceptions and made multiple bad throws/decisions did nothing to show that he is anywhere near challenging for the starting gig. Heck, do you think MSU brought Tommy down to the Big Sky kickoff because he is going to sit?

Sorry for the terse post, but quit manufacturing controversy unless you have something of substance to back it up.
How is discussing this creating controversy? This is a fan page for fans to discuss things we are curious about. Do you really think any of this speculation and fan talk means anything to the actual decisions about who starts for the bobcats? It's like telling fans not to focus ahead of the schedule because we have a team to take care of this week.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:33 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:28 pm
Listening to some of the interviews, it sounds like there might actually be a true competition going on between Mellott and Chambers for QB1? Yes, they're usually going to say it's an open competition and all positions are open if someone better comes along, but is there a real chance Chambers beats out Mellott for the starting position? Or, is there a real chance we run with somewhat of a 2 QB system? Crazy to think about - that Mellott is the pre season all conference QB in the Big Sky and he might not be the best QB on our team. 8)
If one researches Coach Vigen's history at NDSU and Wyoming, I think you answered your question. The kid who performs the best in practice is going to be the one on the field to start the game and there will be plenty of opportunities during the game for a number of different kids to play each and every game, not just the quarterbacks.

This time last year, who would have thought a freshman would be the starting center or that Sessions would start most of the season, again a freshman. Two freshman OL on a team that made it to Frisco? In fact, didn't Mellot get his first start the Cat's first playoff game???? Who would have thought MSU would have a coach pull the same bold move like NDSU does year after year?

Bet there's another kid on the roster who will get significant play time at quarterback before the year is over?

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:38 pm

My take is it vigen wants to have two quarterbacks that are starting capable that can go in and take the charge of the offense and run it. He does not want to have a case of the championship game where next person up hasn't had a play. Not this last year, Tucker had many chances to play and did well but he wants to have two quarterbacks that can be ready to go at a moment's notice. Also wants to develop the whole quarterback room, and the whole team, so that when one player is out, there is no drop in quality. I like who he brought in, I like who's in the room, and I want to see it get developed. Started to build more depth and competition, and I think vigen is going to increase the depth to where second or third string can be stars any given day.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:57 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:03 pm
Tommy is QB1. However, the plan isn't to run him 35 times like he did against SDSU so be ready to see a heavy dose of Sean Chambers running the ball this year. And no...it won't be the Travis Jonsen "fake toss that doesn't ever actually turn into a toss" play. Sean can spin it and he took shots in the spring game. Anyway, Tommy is the captain of the offense and Chambers will be part of the offense in some capacity as well.
I’ve been told by experts here that running a QB 35 times a game instead of 15 doesn’t increase the chance of injury.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:28 am

Cataholic wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 pm

You should probably have a stickied post that lets people know what is appropriate to discuss, and what is not. That way we won’t get any more tersely worded posts for running afoul of your positivity only section.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 am

It will be fun watching Chambers and Mellott in the game at the same time. I'll guess that Mellott has at least 4 receiving TD's this year. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:44 am

Keep an eye on Jordan Reed too. He is getting a lot of reps too.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 am

I also think the "real scoop" is Housewright saying Tommy is 5'8."

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:50 am

Welp… we were clearly heading back to the Natty and then you had to go and post this catastrophic thread.

3-8, miss the playoffs, Bobcat Stadium burns down, at least one player loses a limb.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:01 am

PapaG wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:57 am
VimSince03 wrote:
I’ve been told by experts here that running a QB 35 times a game instead of 15 doesn’t increase the chance of injury.
Didn't an expert get on here and say that only people that played sports at a high level would understand how you couldn't possibly make Tommy Mellot the starter at QB? You would lose all respect from the rest of the players.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:24 am

What a thread

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:25 am

seataccat wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:01 am
PapaG wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:57 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Didn't an expert get on here and say that only people that played sports at a high level would understand how you couldn't possibly make Tommy Mellot the starter at QB? You would lose all respect from the rest of the players.
All I know is that the Cats are thanking their lucky stars that Elon isn’t on the schedule this year. They’d get trounced!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:35 am

My post was an overreaction. Apologies to Catatac. In reality, I was reacting to all the wild speculation that seems to get posted here everyday. The only thing this will do is provide fuel to Gris idiots that Tommy isn’t a QB. I realize that Chambers getting touches is more about system and protecting Tommy, but it is not a true QB competition for number 1 as Catatac stated.

I don’t know about some of you, but seems like more Grizidiots seem to lurk at this site than ever. The more success we have, the more they tend to look for chinks in the armor (we had an easy draw for the playoffs, etc). It is like they just played in the national championship- not us. I am f@&cking tired of dealing with them.

Sorry again to Catatac.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:48 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:35 am
My post was an overreaction. Apologies to Catatac. In reality, I was reacting to all the wild speculation that seems to get posted here everyday. The only thing this will do is provide fuel to Gris idiots that Tommy isn’t a QB. I realize that Chambers getting touches is more about system and protecting Tommy, but it is not a true QB competition for number 1 as Catatac stated.

I don’t know about some of you, but seems like more Grizidiots seem to lurk at this site than ever. The more success we have, the more they tend to look for chinks in the armor (we had an easy draw for the playoffs, etc). It is like they just played in the national championship- not us. I am f@&cking tired of dealing with them.

Sorry again to Catatac.
That’s big of you.

My 2 cents— you should feel zero compulsion to argue with Griz trolls. They’re not going to debate you in good faith. They’re here just to get a rise out of you. Ignore them or clown them.

I mean, who really cares what they say about Tommy? If they’re spending time on a Cat forum trying to speak it into existence that he’s not good, what does that tell you?

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:43 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:59 am
I also think the "real scoop" is Housewright saying Tommy is 5'8."
Lol
House sandbagging already. Nice.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:46 am

Cataholic wrote:

Sorry again to Catatac.
Hey buddy, absolutely no reason for you to apologize, and after re reading my post last night I completely understand your point! I should have worded that post differently, because it didn't convey what I was trying to convey. My main point here was to emphasize how frigging cool is it that we have a phenom like Tommy Mellott, first team all conference in the Big Sky... watch list for best offensive player in the FCS, and (according so some), there's a chance he might not even be the best all around QB on the roster? Obviously that last part is totally debatable but Sean Chambers is a legit FBS QB and an outstanding leader, multi year team captain (Chosen as team captain by his teammates as a 19 year old Freshman). I do agree TM is QB1 and the job is his to lose..... but if the unexpected happened and he actually did lose the starting job it certainly wouldn't be because he regressed at all, it would mean that Chambers was a better QB. Then of course it would mean figuring out how to use Tommy because like TA... he's not coming off the field. It's a really good thing we have going here. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:

Sorry again to Catatac.
I've had a much more enjoyable time here since I began using the "Add Foe" feature to mute those Griz fans who just come here to troll and get everyone riled up. Let them have their fun on eGriz making up cute nicknames, there's no need to let it affect your experience here.