Major Givens Commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

profisme
Member # Retired

Re: Major Givens Commits

Post by profisme » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:29 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:24 am
Reading about Major, reminds me of when we signed Infanse. That has worked out pretty well for us!
A little bit maybe. Ifanse averaged 10.1 ypc in high school. Givens is at 5.5. Could be due to several factors, but I don’t think he’s another Ifanse at this point. I don’t like the amount of carries Givens had last year. That’s a lot of wear and tear.
Pretty sure Shawn Johnson also averaged over 10 ypc his senior year of HS. I like Givens makeup. He is patient, waits for his blocks to develop and then accelerates. That is often something that has to be learned at the collegiate level, if ever. Looks like a great addition.

-Elias P. Harmon-

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:06 am

profisme wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:12 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:29 pm
superbobcat wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:24 am
Reading about Major, reminds me of when we signed Infanse. That has worked out pretty well for us!
A little bit maybe. Ifanse averaged 10.1 ypc in high school. Givens is at 5.5. Could be due to several factors, but I don’t think he’s another Ifanse at this point. I don’t like the amount of carries Givens had last year. That’s a lot of wear and tear.
Pretty sure Shawn Johnson also averaged over 10 ypc his senior year of HS. I like Givens makeup. He is patient, waits for his blocks to develop and then accelerates. That is often something that has to be learned at the collegiate level, if ever. Looks like a great addition.
Johnson averaged over 10 ypc his senior year. He was an All America returner as a junior and averaged 6.7 ypc his senior year at MSU. He ran for over 1,400 yards and averaged over 6 ypc for his career despite playing behind Cody Kirk his sophomore and junior years.

Nick LaSane averaged around 8 ypc. Brekke 7.4 ypc.

Typically, good running backs average a lot in high school. It’s nothing set in stone because it somewhat depends on the system and the players around them.

Givens team ran him a ton last year. 25 carries per game on average. Considering 12 minute quarters that works out to 30+ in a college game. So high school teams have been keying on him.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:27 am

Givens got some love at the ESPN 300 Elite Underclassmen Camp:

https://247sports.com/Article/Top-Perfo ... 187861713/

NEXT FIVE OFFENSE

Major Givens, RB, Spring Valley (Calif.) Steele Canyon

Givens is a player we've liked at a number of camps this spring, and he plays with great energy and takes as many reps as he can. In the 1on1s with the linebackers, he showed a suddenness and elusiveness in cutting, leaving a linebacker lunging then effortlessly reeling the pass in. He's well put together but with room to add some muscle. All three service academies have offered and so has FCS runner-up Montana State among others.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:31 am

FTG- GO CATS GO!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:34 am

Speed. But also strength to break those tackles

Sports is not bigger than life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:27 am

11-224-3

That’ll bump up his average. 🤣

20 yards a pop.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:49 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:31 am
This guy looks nuts!

https://twitter.com/kusippr/status/1560 ... XTelSxdmjQ
Damn, he looks fast as hell!

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:03 am

can't wait to see him in Blue and Gold. Great speed and power.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:55 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:02 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:55 pm
Decommitted.

https://twitter.com/MajorGivens2/status ... 8406047745
Well that’s a bummer

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:08 am

Most likely the reason they took another RB commit.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:39 pm

Or the new RB commit was reason he decommited

Sports is not bigger than life

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:52 pm

When it comes to recruiting RBs, you have to wonder sometimes if our current "running QB" offense doesn't turn some these potential recruits off. Especially when we have two "running QBs". This young man clearly looks like a stud, and if I were him, I'm thinking I want to be in an offense that showcases my skills. I want to carry the rock 20-25 times a game, maybe more.

Does the thought of being used as a blocker instead of a ball carrier, potentially the majority of snaps, make some these RB studs look at MSU and decide to go in a different direction? I realize that we know it's a little different since we are in-tune with the program, and we know how the offense looks and works. But for a young man who is from the outside looking in, maybe all they see is the highlights of Tommy and Sean running and scoring most of the TDs, and that doesn't look appealing for a running back.

Just spit balling....

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:02 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:52 pm
When it comes to recruiting RBs, you have to wonder sometimes if our current "running QB" offense doesn't turn some these potential recruits off. Especially when we have two "running QBs". This young man clearly looks like a stud, and if I were him, I'm thinking I want to be in an offense that showcases my skills. I want to carry the rock 20-25 times a game, maybe more.

Does the thought of being used as a blocker instead of a ball carrier, potentially the majority of snaps, make some these RB studs look at MSU and decide to go in a different direction? I realize that we know it's a little different since we are in-tune with the program, and we know how the offense looks and works. But for a young man who is from the outside looking in, maybe all they see is the highlights of Tommy and Sean running and scoring most of the TDs, and that doesn't look appealing for a running back.

Just spit balling....
In the games where we’ve been able to use the RB’s normally without worry for injury the lead back has averaged 18.5 carries per game. Usage is not an issue.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:06 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:02 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:

Just spit balling....
In the games where we’ve been able to use the RB’s normally without worry for injury the lead back has averaged 18.5 carries per game. Usage is not an issue.
That's my point, though. We know that because we're fans. Rabid fans, so we know. But if you're someone on the outside, all you see is Tommy and Sean running and scoring, so the perspective is that we are a running QB offense...

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:09 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:06 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Just spit balling....
That's my point, though. We know that because we're fans. Rabid fans, so we know. But if you're someone on the outside, all you see is Tommy and Sean running and scoring, so the perspective is that we are a running QB offense...
Yeah I get it, but these guys are having lots of conversations with coaches and they're not just making a decision based off looking at a few box scores. Just last season we were all concerned at the overuse of Ifanse. You don't have to look far to see MSU will give a worthy RB plenty of touches.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:26 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:09 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Just spit balling....
Yeah I get it, but these guys are having lots of conversations with coaches and they're not just making a decision based off looking at a few box scores. Just last season we were all concerned at the overuse of Ifanse. You don't have to look far to see MSU will give a worthy RB plenty of touches.
The coaches can definitely explain how we're running our offense this year and point to the fact that the RBs are still used a ton (when healthy). It might be a little harder to ease their concerns about the fact that only 1 of our 21 rushing TDs was scored by a running back.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:34 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Just spit balling....
I promise the recruits are much more knowledgeable about what we’re running, why we’re running, and how we’re running, any scheme than we as fans are. They can talk to the coaches whenever. I understand your concern, I just think it’s misguided/overthinking it. Kids de-commit for a plethora of reasons, but it’s very unlikely this was because of lack of RB touches.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:45 pm

coloradocat wrote: The coaches can definitely explain how we're running our offense this year and point to the fact that the RBs are still used a ton (when healthy). It might be a little harder to ease their concerns about the fact that only 1 of our 21 rushing TDs was scored by a running back.
Nailed it.