Separating FBS from FCS

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Separating FBS from FCS

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:44 am

The article talks about the FBS governing their own football programs and leaving the NCAA, in the process also separating the FBS from the FCS. Lots of implications here but of course my main concern is what does that do for MSU?

https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2374759

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Separating FBS from FCS

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:51 am

I wonder if it would have any impact on the FCS at all. Currently, FBS teams don't have to play FCS teams, in the same way we don't have to play D2 teams. They do because it's a (nearly) guaranteed home win. I don't think that would change unless the new governing body limited/eliminated games outside of the FBS. If they did stop playing FCS teams that would probably accelerate the decline of many programs barely hanging on financially. I could see EWU and UNCU dropping down a level almost immediately.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:00 pm

Only thing NCAA does right now is discipline bad players in the arena of coaching and corruption. The problem is with the new rules for likeness and image, they don't know how to define bribery and corruption in college sports. So they don't want to be bothered by that sh😭t.
They want to do away with big brother

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:10 pm

I continue to think the most logical long-term endpoint for MSU is in a division that is below a separate "Power 5" division, but would include a lot of current FBS schools. We could even have our own national championship bracket for those concerned about that.

We are one of two major land-grand universities in a state that I believe is going to be growing rapidly. We're a top-tier national research University (Carniegie R1-- one of only 117 in the country). Our home belongs ultimately with other regional major land-grant research universities, and not some of the "directional schools" currently in the Big Sky that are ultimately not really comparable schools overall to MSU.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:46 am

Travelingcat wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:10 pm
I continue to think the most logical long-term endpoint for MSU is in a division that is below a separate "Power 5" division, but would include a lot of current FBS schools. We could even have our own national championship bracket for those concerned about that.

We are one of two major land-grand universities in a state that I believe is going to be growing rapidly. We're a top-tier national research University (Carniegie R1-- one of only 117 in the country). Our home belongs ultimately with other regional major land-grant research universities, and not some of the "directional schools" currently in the Big Sky that are ultimately not really comparable schools overall to MSU.
What other land grant university is in this state?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:04 am

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:51 am
I wonder if it would have any impact on the FCS at all. Currently, FBS teams don't have to play FCS teams, in the same way we don't have to play D2 teams. They do because it's a (nearly) guaranteed home win. I don't think that would change unless the new governing body limited/eliminated games outside of the FBS. If they did stop playing FCS teams that would probably accelerate the decline of many programs barely hanging on financially. I could see EWU and UNCU dropping down a level almost immediately.
Both Idaho schools are pretty dependent on FBS cash to keep their programs afloat too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:34 pm

seataccat wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:46 am
Travelingcat wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:10 pm

What other land grant university is in this state?
Ugh, sorry-- misstatement. Just meant major research universities. Actually the tribal colleges are technically land-grand but they are not about to challenge us on the football field. . . .