2022 Regular Season Predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

2022 Regular Season Predictions

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:24 pm

We're 80 days away from Gold Rush! We still won't have a lot to talk about until the BSC media days which are a monthish away, or fall camp which is 6ish weeks away. Outside another transfer or two coming on, it seems our roster is pretty set. Let us now pretend we can see the future and predict how the regular season will shake out.

I don't see this team being any worse than 9-2 with Tommy under center and a very good D. I know we still have a few questions about the D and O lines but I think we will be in great shape. On the D line we have Rygg, Seabass, Hehl and Schmidt as our top 4. Rygg was going to be a major contributor before going down in game one against Wyoming last year. Seabass, Schmidt and Hehl all played a large amount of snaps in 2021 and were a big reason our D was so good. Would it be nice to have another interior DL guy? Sure. But I feel like those top 4 guys are going to do very well. Grebe is going to wreck O lines and QBs all year. I expect us to have one of the best secondaries in the conference, and perhaps even the nation. Woodard is going to be an All-American sooner than later. Okada is one of the best tacklers in the country. Our D is going to be lights out again. The O line had a lot of inexperience last year, and by year's end was a solid unit. I'm not at all concerned about them.

With that here are my game by game predictions.

Vs. Mcneese State - W - They lost their staring QB to graduation but add an FBS dropdown at the position. Their offense might improve this year, but they weren't good on offense last year. They had a solid D in a bad conference. I expect a big win, though not a blowout.

Vs. Morehead State - W - This is a mediocre ish team in an even worse conference. I expect this game to be similar to last year's OOC FCS games against San Diego and Drake. Blowout

@ Oregon State - L - Oregon State is working it's way up from the PAC12 cellar and has been putting a decent team together the last couple years. They had some big wins last year against USC ad PAC12 champ Utah. They can run the ball. We have 2 things going for us in this game though. The game is in Portland, and they play USC in the conference opener the following week. I think we lose by 2-3 scores but keep it respectable most of the game.

@ Eastern Washington - W - At some point Eastern has to stop having All-American QBs every year... right? I don't see this team being better than last year's team. They never have better than a decent D and their new QB isn't going to be Barriere. 2 score win.

Vs. UC Davis - W - There's a decent chance Davis is 1-3 coming into this game with losses to Cal, SDSU and Weber. Even if they are 2-2 this will be a HUGE game for them. They've shown they aren't just a flash in the pan the last few years and outside of Weber then the Cats their schedule looks real nice until the Sac State game. I feel like this will be a tighter, tougher game than EWU, but ultimately we win by 2 scores.

Vs. Idaho State - W - Get em at home 2 years in a row. I expect this one to be a lot different than last year. Big win

@ Northern Colorado - W - Not much to say about this joke of a program. Blowout win

Vs. Weber State - W I think being at home will make the big difference in this game. Weber is going to come back this year angry, and they return a lot of guys. They play the other top 5 teams in the conference in their 1st 6 conference games. Ouch. Nail biter but ultimately a win.

@ Northern Arizona - W - Playing in Flagstaff always seems to be tough. Their OOC schedule is rough with games @ Arizona State and Sam Houston, and a home game against UND. There's a good chance they are out of the playoff conversation come November 5th so they may be looking to play spoiler. 2 score win.

@ Cal Poly - W - Baldwin is going to have this team playing a lot better this year, especially offensively. I don't see them making big enough strides on D to be really good just yet. Medium sized win, 17-20 points.

Vs. Montana - W - I expect the Gris to have no more than 2 losses at this point. Tough 2 game trip to Sac State and Weber to end October but they should win at least 1 of those. I wouldn't be surprised if they are undefeated and ranked #1 or #2 heading in to Cat/Griz either. More than likely this game will be the so called Conference Championship game. Last year the Cats played the absolute worst game they possibly could have in Cat/Griz and lost by 19. That won't happen again, and even if the D gives up 24-30 points our offense is going to be a different animal this year. 7-10 point win. Conference Champs.

Call me crazy but I expect this team, as long as they stay relatively healthy especially at QB to grab a top 2 seed. I think NDSU will be #1 regardless of the outcome in their game against SDSU as I think they beat Arizona in September. I don't have as much faith in SDSU making it through the rest of the MVFC schedule unscathed.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: 2022 Regular Season Predictions

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:38 pm

And our First Home Game Victim for the Playoffs is UIW

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:47 pm

I’m thinking the Cats will falter at least once in league play, probably against a team they should beat. I’m guessing NAU or UCD.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:47 pm
I’m thinking the Cats will falter at least once in league play, probably against a team they should beat. I’m guessing NAU or UCD.
I'm excited for the coming thread about how hard it is to play in Flagstaff. We've lost our last 3 games there (last win was in 2008).

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:50 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:54 pm
AFCAT wrote:
I'm excited for the coming thread about how hard it is to play in Flagstaff. We've lost our last 3 games there (last win was in 2008).
Not going to happen. It's one of two games I'll going to besides Frisco!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:09 pm

I think the BSC is weak this year and MSU should do well in league play. I am very concerned with the O-line and think this may be a problem in the Playoffs. I also think the D will be fine. 9-2 is doable.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:20 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:50 pm
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Better start stocking away for those plane tickets now! Bought my flights last night from DFW for Gold Rush and cheapest flight was $700. Thought it was probably because of the holiday weekend but it’s not much better for flights to the other home games.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:28 am

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:20 am
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:50 pm
coloradocat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Better start stocking away for those plane tickets now! Bought my flights last night from DFW for Gold Rush and cheapest flight was $700. Thought it was probably because of the holiday weekend but it’s not much better for flights to the other home games.
I drove this year and will next year.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:16 pm

My prediction is that regardless of our record at the end of the season we'll be placed in the same side of the bracket as NDSU so that we meet them before Frisco. I don't think the committee is going to want to give us a chance to make it back there without beating them along the way. Going 0-3 in 3 years where none of the games were close will be a disadvantage when seedings are determined.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:13 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:16 pm
My prediction is that regardless of our record at the end of the season we'll be placed in the same side of the bracket as NDSU so that we meet them before Frisco. I don't think the committee is going to want to give us a chance to make it back there without beating them along the way. Going 0-3 in 3 years where none of the games were close will be a disadvantage when seedings are determined.
Honestly I want this but for a different reason. Say Cats go 10-1 with only a close loss to PAC 12 OSU. NDSU goes 10-1 but loses to SDSU who for once in their history play up to their talent and go undefeated or lose a close one to Iowa. SDSU is the #1, Cats are the #2, NDSU is the #3. If we ever have a shot beating the Bison it's in Bozeman.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:58 pm

I’m going with 9-2 but will take anything more and accept nothing less! :)

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:24 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:13 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Honestly I want this but for a different reason. Say Cats go 10-1 with only a close loss to PAC 12 OSU. NDSU goes 10-1 but loses to SDSU who for once in their history play up to their talent and go undefeated or lose a close one to Iowa. SDSU is the #1, Cats are the #2, NDSU is the #3. If we ever have a shot beating the Bison it's in Bozeman.
I think because of our history with NDSU, if we go into seeding both at 10-1, they will be seeded above us.

Hating the griz since 02.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:24 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:24 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
I think because of our history with NDSU, if we go into seeding both at 10-1, they will be seeded above us.
That's probably true, but would be complete B.S. Our schedule is waaaaay more challenging.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:54 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:24 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
I don't think so. In my scenario NDSU would have an FCS loss and we wouldn't. They seeded SHSU last year #1 because they were undefeated even though their schedule was a cakewalk. There was serious consideration of the Cats being #1 or #2 before losing the last game of the regular season last year. Your record this year matters. The seasons before do not.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:44 pm

I feel like we have built a ton of depth and like others have said, that depth will show just how stacked we are. Overall gut feelings: Our offense will be better than we've been recently and our D will not be as good as it was last year. I know that we have a young O Line but I think they will develop and be just fine. I think the loss of Banks is monumental. I've never seen a D Coordinator in Bozeman that was as good as he was. And finally, you just don't replace Troy and his loss of production will be noticed.

Vs. McNeese State - W - As their fans have stated, they are rebuilding and this is probably a perfect home opener for the Cats.

Vs. Morehead State - W - New to the FCS, should be an easy win but a great match up for our untested kids to get better and still come out on top.

@ Oregon State - L - OSU has improved drastically. This will be a loss but a huge W for Bobcat fans with the games location.

@ Eastern Washington - W - Big time early road test. If you didn't know better you would say Eastern will be down after losing Eric. But as you all know, they just reload with better QBs.

Vs. UC Davis - W - Finally, we get a really good opponent at home. Going on the road to EWU and then Davis at home, we will know a lot about our team by the end of this game.

Vs. Idaho State - W - Death and destruction for ISU

@ Northern Colorado - W - We typically struggle in Greeley and with how last years game turned out with clipboards and skinny jeans, I suppose anything is possible.

Vs. Weber State - W - Big Time game! I think Weber will be right back in the mix for a conference title. Hopefully the weather holds out and we can pack Bobcat Stadium.

@ Northern Arizona - W - This could be a really tough game. NAU seems like they are close to breaking out.

@ Cal Poly - W - It'll be a battle but thankfully Baldwin wont have this team cranking yet.

Vs. Montana - W - Nothing to say here.

10-1 seems possible but probably unlikely. The gris game is a toss up and we could easily stumble at NAU. Somewhere between 8-3 and 10-1. For all the momentum with this program and University its time to capture a darn Big Sky title.

Hating the griz since 02.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:37 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:44 pm
Vs. Morehead State - W - New to the FCS, should be an easy win but a great match up for our untested kids to get better and still come out on top.
Morehead State is by no means new to the FCS, they were actually one of the founding members of the new I-AA Division back in 1978.

Loving the optimism here, MSU has the potential to get back to Frisco but to me the key is going to be finding a way to have a more balanced offensive attack that doesn't run Mellott and/or Ifanse into the ground by the playoffs. Injuries can obviously happen to anyone but there needs to be a plan to keep both of those guys fresh and healthy all season long this year.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:50 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:37 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:44 pm
Morehead State is by no means new to the FCS, they were actually one of the founding members of the new I-AA Division back in 1978.

Loving the optimism here, MSU has the potential to get back to Frisco but to me the key is going to be finding a way to have a more balanced offensive attack that doesn't run Mellott and/or Ifanse into the ground by the playoffs. Injuries can obviously happen to anyone but there needs to be a plan to keep both of those guys fresh and healthy all season long this year.
They’ll be more balanced. I think the big Q is whether or not the improvements on offense and STs will outweigh the downturn on defense.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm

I’ll go out on a limb and say that if we have the same squad returning punts as last year, we’ll be in the bottom quarter of ST stats in that category.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:29 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm
I’ll go out on a limb and say that if we have the same squad returning punts as last year, we’ll be in the bottom quarter of ST stats in that category.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
That's kind of like saying if we suck, it'll be bad

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:29 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:29 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:23 pm

That's kind of like saying if we suck, it'll be bad
Our punt return team SUCKED last season but things worked out ok. If we can gain 5 yards more per return, it’ll be a world of improvement.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO