Bozeman and Coaching Retention

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Bozeman and Coaching Retention

Post by coloradocat » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:48 am

If we want coaches to stay maybe we need to set up a financial incentive. Assistant coaches at the FCS level barely make enough to get by in general and that's especially true in Bozeman. We shouldn't be losing coaches (either to another school or a completely different career) because they can't afford to live here. There's nothing wrong with a coach moving on for a better career opportunity but if he leaves for financial reasons that's on the school/boosters.

The idea I came up with is to establish a bonus pool that is awarded the following season. It could be a flat amount or percentage of salary based on level or even an amount per win the previous season. The retention element is that it wouldn't be paid until it's too late for a coach to leave the program (fall camp or week 1).

This seems like something that would be better received by donors than an NIL program. The money is going to professional adults to make up for the shortfall created by the school, not kids that might not have earned it yet and could easily just take the money and run.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bozeman and Coaching Retention

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:57 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:48 am
If we want coaches to stay maybe we need to set up a financial incentive. Assistant coaches at the FCS level barely make enough to get by in general and that's especially true in Bozeman. We shouldn't be losing coaches (either to another school or a completely different career) because they can't afford to live here. There's nothing wrong with a coach moving on for a better career opportunity but if he leaves for financial reasons that's on the school/boosters.

The idea I came up with is to establish a bonus pool that is awarded the following season. It could be a flat amount or percentage of salary based on level or even an amount per win the previous season. The retention element is that it wouldn't be paid until it's too late for a coach to leave the program (fall camp or week 1).

This seems like something that would be better received by donors than an NIL program. The money is going to professional adults to make up for the shortfall created by the school, not kids that might not have earned it yet and could easily just take the money and run.
I think there's already something in place that is funded by the qb club.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:27 am

wbtfg wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:57 am
coloradocat wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:48 am

I think there's already something in place that is funded by the qb club.
Yup, the QB club does a lot, including some coach bonuses. You can donate money to the QB club to help cover these expenses, even if you don’t want to become a member.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:31 am

A significant amount of money raised at the QBC banquet each year goes to the assistant coaches fund. Do bobcat fans need to raise more for them. YES. Join the QBC. I feel this is the best avenue to support all of bobcat football. The QBC has the avenues in place already. No need to muddy the waters and try to find another avenue. The QBC IS the avenue. Check it out.

https://www.bobcatquarterbackclub.com/

RICO CAT

Post by RICO CAT » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:56 am

Standard level membership for the BQC is $1,000.00. Not that bad if you figure how much it comes to a month. (I’m guessing less than most cable bills) Anything that goes into the BQC can be diverted to where it is most needed without delay.
Last edited by RICO CAT on Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

stevo

Post by stevo » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:26 am

$600.00 for a junior level. You have to be under 35 years old.

tagleason
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by tagleason » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:28 pm

Donate your Starbucks coffee costs to the BQC. It’s a great cause and everyone can participate.

AKCat1

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:43 pm

Donate Starbucks money to guy putting up a billboard stating “CA, CT, and NY are beautiful states please stay out of Montana”.

If your left, you aren’t right.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:05 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:43 pm
Donate Starbucks money to guy putting up a billboard stating “CA, CT, and NY are beautiful states please stay out of Montana”.
Yes, I'm sure potential coaches and recruits would love seeing those signs on their visits.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:44 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Don't sweat it dude people are leaving Montana.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:28 pm

seataccat wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:44 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Why do you think that? Montana just picked up another congress-person, because the population is growing not shrinking.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:37 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:28 pm
seataccat wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:44 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Why do you think that? Montana just picked up another congress-person, because the population is growing not shrinking.
I guess you're right. It is gaining in population like pretty much every state. But it is still behind Idaho, Washington and Oregon in population growth. So regionally it seems to be holding off the transplants reasonably well.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:12 pm

Likely isn’t a feasible solution to this problem. Hope to get good young assistants who don’t mind living with roommates for three years, team keeps winning, and then they move on to other jobs.

Also, @seataccat, people aren’t leaving Montana. I know anecdotally three other people moving back here, as I did from Portland two months ago. Selling in Portland, Seattle, or coastal California and buying a place in Billings is one of the best real estate moves in the USA right now. I know from experience.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:01 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:12 pm
Likely isn’t a feasible solution to this problem. Hope to get good young assistants who don’t mind living with roommates for three years, team keeps winning, and then they move on to other jobs.

Also, @seataccat, people aren’t leaving Montana. I know anecdotally three other people moving back here, as I did from Portland two months ago. Selling in Portland, Seattle, or coastal California and buying a place in Billings is one of the best real estate moves in the USA right now. I know from experience.
So glad we bought when we did (December 2020). Market was busy then but it's stupid now.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:31 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:01 pm
PapaG wrote:

So glad we bought when we did (December 2020). Market was busy then but it's stupid now.
The Bozeman housing market is so overvalued now that unless you’re buying a second home and have money to burn on long-term investment, I can’t see how anyone can buy a place at those prices. My first choice was to move back to Bozeman but it made zero sense with two girls in college in Arizona as a place to still work now and then retire in 10-15 years. Billings is still reasonable and Bozeman is a Friday night Portland commute in terms of time away.

It’s insane.

What a ride

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:50 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:31 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
PapaG wrote:

The Bozeman housing market is so overvalued now that unless you’re buying a second home and have money to burn on long-term investment, I can’t see how anyone can buy a place at those prices. My first choice was to move back to Bozeman but it made zero sense with two girls in college in Arizona as a place to still work now and then retire in 10-15 years. Billings is still reasonable and Bozeman is a Friday night Portland commute in terms of time away.

It’s insane.
Hah, realized I didn't specify... We bought in Billings, NOT Bozeman. No way could I afford to buy in Bozeman.

94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:38 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
PapaG wrote:

It’s insane.
Hah, realized I didn't specify... We bought in Billings, NOT Bozeman. No way could I afford to buy in Bozeman.
Still would have been a decent buy in Bozeman 12/2020 compared to now, though! I bought a condo near Dehler Park that was a good value. Downside is it’s like The Walking Dead on N 27th with the Opioid Zombies shuffling around heading to North Park.

What a ride

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:01 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:38 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
PapaG wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
PapaG wrote:

It’s insane.
Still would have been a decent buy in Bozeman 12/2020 compared to now, though! I bought a condo near Dehler Park that was a good value. Downside is it’s like The Walking Dead on N 27th with the Opioid Zombies shuffling around heading to North Park.
Hope you aren't in the area that regularly gets flooded by storm runoff. I know there are some bad spots in that area for runoff.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:20 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:01 pm
PapaG wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:38 pm
grizzh8r wrote:
PapaG wrote:
grizzh8r wrote:
PapaG wrote:

It’s insane.
Hope you aren't in the area that regularly gets flooded by storm runoff. I know there are some bad spots in that area for runoff.
It’s north of Dehler about 5 blocks near the base of the Rims so should be OK. One thing I will miss about Portland is the downtown vibe and I have family in the far west of town so the condo worked and I walk to Dehler and Scary Albertsons. I’ve done enough yardwork in my life.

What a ride