One positive, one question:

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MountainCat
BobcatNation Letterman

One positive, one question:

Post by MountainCat » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:15 pm

It’s quiet time in the college football world, one of the hardest times to be a fan. Some players we were banking on have left and a few new faces are coming in which overall leaves a lot of questions for those of us the aren’t 5 month fans. We know we have a great roster and a lot of potential but the transfer portal definitely had its way with us this Spring along with graduation. So far the NFL draft and UDFA signings have proven that we had some great talent on the previous roster. Now, there are a LOT of question marks heading into the 2022 season. In my opinion the coaching staff will have the opportunity a to display what their “system and continuity” will look like for the future since so much talent from the previous coaching regime is now gone. We as fans are going to learn a lot this coming season about the vision of Montana State Football under Coach Vigen, I thought that it might be fun for each of us to share 1 factor we see as a positive moving into the Fall season and one question mark we see moving into the season.

Positive: Our team (of starters) will be as a whole relatively young this season.

Question mark: Our team (of starters) will be as a whole relatively young this season.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: One positive, one question:

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:43 pm

Positive- the secondary should be exceptional. One of the best we have had in years.

Question- besides the obvious OL question mark…. I’m curious to see how Tommy has developed his passing game in the off season.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:50 pm

Positive - Touchdown Tommy is going into his Sophomore year.

Question - Will he live up to his legendary status and expectations as a full season full-time starting QB, and if not does he revert to his Freshman (regular season) role or more of a pure QB2 role (ala Tucker Rovig)?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:34 pm

Positive: The energy and outlook about the program is amazing.

Question: Have we closed the gap between us and NDSU or has the gap widened?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:06 pm

Positive. Are we getting a better passing game?

Question are the receivers leaving because of coaching?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:17 am

Positive: Coach Vigen, in less than a year, his first year, took a team of exceptional players with no proven QB to the Chipper, their first time in 38 years. Would a coach with a less than superior organizational skill have taken them that far? I don't think so.

Question: With the present portal situation and "free aqency" can anyone match the needed talent level to go that far without NIL?

2024 Resume dominance

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:46 am

Positive: Coach Vigen has shown that he's pretty darn good as an organizational head coach, an x's and o's head coach, and a pretty motivator as a head coach (his locker room talks that went on twitter, etc were pretty fiery and I really enjoyed them. Plus, I'm not sure a coach that can't motivate could've led any team to a National Championship game, let alone a team that was used to fiery Choate speeches).

Question: This is more of a question for the future 2-3 years than this year alone but last year Vigen showed that he can win with a team of majority Choate players and Choate recruits. Can he win once the team starts to become more his recruits and his players?

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:43 am

Positives: We have a very talented team all around, that now knows what it takes to get to the chipper...

Question: Will the price of Bozeman living, and hotels, cost us fan support, and very good assistant coaches?

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:55 am

SACCAT wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:43 am
Positives: We have a very talented team all around, that now knows what it takes to get to the chipper...

Question: Will the price of Bozeman living, and hotels, cost us fan support, and very good assistant coaches?
You nailed my biggest concern in the long run.

Positive: I think we'll see just how deep this team has been, and how little drop-off there is even losing so much talent.

Everybody should remember that other than TJ Session, everybody who left in the portal was basically asked/encouraged to leave. Teams have bloated rosters because of the free covid year and have to offload players.

So my short-term question is whether the O and D lines are going to be up to snuff with the rest of the team.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:29 am

Positive: Tommy’s work ethic all but guarantees that we are set at the most critical position.

Question: line play on both sides of the ball

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:58 pm

Mine sort of echo what others' have stated.

Positive: I really believe this is a very strong PROGRAM right now... with Choate getting us almost there and Vigen leading us to the chipper. He inherited a lot of talent, and more importantly the culture it takes to be a championship program was more or less already created. He understands exactly what it takes to become elite like NDSU.

Question: O Line. Still anticipating a couple transfers here so we'll see. I have no doubt we will have good\solid O Line play that will allow us to be a great team with good balance rushing and passing attack. Will this OL be absolutely dominant? I have my doubts on that but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

saintcat40
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by saintcat40 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:17 pm

Positive: Great depth across the board at almost every position.

Question: Defensive line. I actually think our O-line will be fine barring some major injuries, but I am very concerned with our interior D line without some transfers.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:36 pm

Positive: Lots of good running backs and solid OL returning.

Question: Many freshmen started last year. We lost two in Sessions and Smith. Who are going to be impact players this year as either redshirt frosh or true freshmen?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:49 pm

P: depth
Q:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 pm

The positives are being built right now.

I have no question.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 pm

I have no question.

Clay Bignell was a certified menace when healthy.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:41 am

CatBot wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:07 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:15 pm

I have no question.

Clay Bignell was a certified menace when healthy.
Damn Conner was good at what he did! Just better than everyone else