Zac Crews…

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Zac Crews…

Post by mslacatfan » Tue May 31, 2022 9:51 pm

Arguably the top recruit out of MT this last year. But made a huge mistake on social media. It will be interesting to see where this goes…

FTG- GO CATS GO!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: Zac Crews…

Post by The Butcher » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:28 am

Here is an opinion piece from the Kaimin. I think it did a good job summing up the Crews issue. Side note; I have always like the Kaimin because they really get under Bobby's skin.
http://www.montanakaimin.com/opinion/op ... bd444.html

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:33 am

Hopefully we can all stay civil on this, as it's certainly a charged issue.

My opinion is that UM completely botched this. I don't know what the right answer is, but certainly stringing a kid along for months and then dropping him in May wasn't the right way to do it. That said, i'd imagine this was handled above Bobby's head....not sure if it was AD, President, or possibly the Commissioner of Higher Ed level. Either way, I thought they did a terrible job with how they handled it.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:38 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:33 am
Hopefully we can all stay civil on this, as it's certainly a charged issue.

My opinion is that UM completely botched this. I don't know what the right answer is, but certainly stringing a kid along for months and then dropping him in May wasn't the right way to do it. That said, i'd imagine this was handled above Bobby's head....not sure if it was AD, President, or possibly the Commissioner of Higher Ed level. Either way, I thought they did a terrible job with how they handled it.
I'm guessing they hoped it would blow over and they'd still be able to bring him in. Once they finally realized that wasn't going to happen they cut him loose. I assume he'll go the JC route now.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:52 am

Personally, I think he's a kid that wrote something really stupid. I think blow-back and blow-up is warranted but at the same time he's a kid and you really hope he learns something from all this and he should since he's supposedly a really smart kid. He caught the worst case scenario, and it looks like he lost out on his dream college. I believe he deserves a second chance, albeit on a short leash and maybe some sort of outreach program where he can learn about other cultures.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:59 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:52 am
Personally, I think he's a kid that wrote something really stupid. I think blow-back and blow-up is warranted but at the same time he's a kid and you really hope he learns something from all this and he should since he's supposedly a really smart kid. He caught the worst case scenario, and it looks like he lost out on his dream college. I believe he deserves a second chance, albeit on a short leash and maybe some sort of outreach program where he can learn about other cultures.
There is where I stand. Enroll in some sort of class at UM about diversity or whatever, or take some sort of sensitivity training, something.

There should be steps an 18 year old kid can take to learn from it and move forward with their goals.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:25 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:59 am
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
There is where I stand. Enroll in some sort of class at UM about diversity or whatever, or take some sort of sensitivity training, something.

There should be steps an 18 year old kid can take to learn from it and move forward with their goals.
I agree with most of this except the part where 'couldn't he just take a class or something'. Just imagine this rotten egg of a situation was dropped on MSU. We already know that living and playing in Montana can be isolating and a bit of a struggle for POC (see TJ Sessions). What kind of message would we be sending to those on the team if they allowed Crews to "take a class" to be absolved of racism? Talk about ruining your locker room for just one guy. Actions have consequences and Jr college or somewhere else is probably Crews consequences.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:01 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:25 am
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I agree with most of this except the part where 'couldn't he just take a class or something'. Just imagine this rotten egg of a situation was dropped on MSU. We already know that living and playing in Montana can be isolating and a bit of a struggle for POC (see TJ Sessions). What kind of message would we be sending to those on the team if they allowed Crews to "take a class" to be absolved of racism? Talk about ruining your locker room for just one guy. Actions have consequences and Jr college or somewhere else is probably Crews consequences.
I think you're right even though I wish you weren't. I think kids in places like Montana say dumb things because they haven't been exposed to some other cultures. I used to say "​" before I'd ever spent any time with anyone who was developmentally challenged. Now I volunteer with and donate to Special Olympics and will absolutely jump somebody's sh*t if they use that term. I was discriminatory to that population, but all I needed was to be exposed to it. But at my worst, I would never have picked on a person who was developmentally challenged, I just wasn't comfortable around those people and I made dumb comments. My guess is, Zac Crews is not actually a racist person. I think he made an awful post on Venmo. I've made mean comments before but I know I'm not a mean person. We have to believe in second chances, especially for something someone has said. I don't know what the answer is for a university's football program, but I'd argue the court of public opinion should let him off the hook if he shows contrition and an effort to change how he views marginalized communities.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:05 am

CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

He can still do all of those things. He isn’t banned from playing football or attending college, he just isn’t going to be able to go to UM (for this year at least) and play football. That’s called a consequence. Do or say something dumb, and you gotta pay the price. Generally that teaches people better than anything else.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:09 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:25 am
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

I don't think a class would absolve him of anything, but I do feel he needs maybe a broader perspective on the world and perhaps "taking a class" would help with that. He's not first kid to make a dumb mistake, he won't be the last, and if he learns from this he'll be a better person for it. I also think an apology to his future teammates of color and frankly all his future team because ignorant comments like that hurt the whole team. Again, I don't think you give up on someone because they said something stupid. Now you do something like that again, well you completely burned that bridge and no one is going to take you.

justafan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by justafan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:09 am

bring him here...no way he ends at JC.. let our locker room decide if we bring him here...

justafan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by justafan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:11 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:05 am
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

He can still do all of those things. He isn’t banned from playing football or attending college, he just isn’t going to be able to go to UM (for this year at least) and play football. That’s called a consequence. Do or say something dumb, and you gotta pay the price. Generally that teaches people better than anything else.
I dunno guess it depends on who you are...

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:12 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

So missing out on your dream college isn't a price? Nowhere anywhere says crews should just be forgiven and forgotten. You guys read a lot into things that aren't there.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Yes, and his consequence was that he was going to have to walk on instead of getting a full ride. The University strung him along and then told him recently he won't even be allowed to do that.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:20 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Yes, and his consequence was that he was going to have to walk on instead of getting a full ride. The University strung him along and then told him recently he won't even be allowed to do that.
Of course the other angle of that is that the University was going to try and basically "sneak"him onto the team and avoid the media backlash, and then got cold feet.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:34 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:12 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

So missing out on your dream college isn't a price? Nowhere anywhere says crews should just be forgiven and forgotten. You guys read a lot into things that aren't there.
I pretty directly said him not being able to go to UM is his consequence. I.e, the price he pays. Not sure what you’re trying to read into, tbh.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:38 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:15 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Sure, if you say so. I don’t know the details of his enrollment or punishment(s). I’m more just saying I don’t have a problem with it, and I would hope MSU would do the same in this situation.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:51 am

Interesting read:

https://buttesports.com/sentinel-great- ... all-limbo/

He is attending MSU - football future in air . . . Sounds like he got dragged around a bit by UM, but tough situation for any coach.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:50 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:51 am
Interesting read:

He is attending MSU - football future in air . . . Sounds like he got dragged around a bit by UM, but tough situation for any coach.
I'm all for second chances, but this kid better be on a short leash... real short.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:53 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:50 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:51 am
Interesting read:

I'm all for second chances, but this kid better be on a short leash... real short.
From what I gathered from the article, he has owned it and would be more than happy to be on that short leash.