Zac Crews…

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Zac Crews…

Post by wapiti » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:59 am

I say let the kid play. and if he is good enough to have a scholarship let him have one.

Give the kid a chance. We have recruited kids with a much worse background and let them play.

Just go look to the Kramer years.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:32 am

Rich K wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:09 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:41 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:15 pm
Just remember, you can only use the n word if you are a comedian, politician, or black.
Was this Necessary? It wasn't funny.
It's not funny. It wasn't meant to be. It was serious and it was the truth. Why would you think it was supposed to be funny? Only a moron would try to find humor in this situation.
Haha these three comments hilarious. All the griz could hope for out of this situation. Instead of injecting our own ideals, how about letting the team decide who they want playing next to them. Nobody needs to be throwing their own crazy political/social views on this team for them. They have their own views on this situation I'm pretty sure. I think they'll be ok deciding their own future without the individuals on bobcat nation interjecting their own personal political/social views on them. No need to turn this into self serving politics

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:36 am

wapiti wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:59 am
I say let the kid play. and if he is good enough to have a scholarship let him have one.

Give the kid a chance. We have recruited kids with a much worse background and let them play.

I love Kramer for all he did for the program, but the program took a pretty big hit due to some of those players.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:39 am

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:36 am
wapiti wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:59 am

I love Kramer for all he did for the program, but the program took a pretty big hit due to some of those players.
Yea not sure that's the comparison you want to make here. #-o

I'm fine with whatever the team, players, coaches, and top ranking officials in the program go with. Everyone should deserve a second chance but it may be harder to get one for young Mr. Crews in the State of Montana, fair or not.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:46 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:28 am
Two comments after reading this thread:

1. From the coaching staff’s perspective; is the risk worth it? Every player that comes into the program was a stud and one of the best from their high school. Do all of those players pan out? Of course not. Now is the backlash really worth the risk when you probably can find a player just as good without the baggage?

2. There is no way a coaching staff would sit down an entire team to listen to Zac tell his side of the story or apologize. If he was already on the team I could see that happening, but he was never part of the team… This was NEVER a real option, guaranteed.
I had mentioned it on the College forum; I would have thought the JC route would have been a better choice than going part time. If he has a good season he could find another team outside of Montana that would put him on their roster.
I don't see any big meetings for the team to make a decision on this but here is how I see this playing out.

Zac enrolls as a part time student, gets to know a few team members on a one to one basis. Eventually the coaching staff may also get to know him some too. Eventually the staff forms an opinion on how this would affect the team and if Zac would be a distraction to the current culture or not. I'm sure input would be looked at from players that have gotten to know him and team leaders. Staff will make the decision of his future at MSU.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:05 am

The Butcher wrote:

1. From the coaching staff’s perspective; is the risk worth it? Every player that comes into the program was a stud and one of the best from their high school. Do all of those players pan out? Of course not. Now is the backlash really worth the risk when you probably can find a player just as good without the baggage?

2. There is no way a coaching staff would sit down an entire team to listen to Zac tell his side of the story or apologize. If he was already on the team I could see that happening, but he was never part of the team… This was NEVER a real option, guaranteed.
I had mentioned it on the College forum; I would have thought the JC route would have been a better choice than going part time. If he has a good season he could find another team outside of Montana that would put him on their roster.
All signs point to him grey shirting and being on the team in the Spring.

As the article states, he and his family had conversations with multiple teams to discuss the situation and all ended up with the same answer more or less.

He’s enrolled at the rival school that they’re admittedly upset with for jerking him along.

He’s enrolled part time so his athletic eligibility clock doesn’t start ticking.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:19 am

A 4.0 student enrolling part time just screams of gray shirt. If he has decided not to play football, I doubt he'd be part time right now. Based on some testimonials on Facebook from families that have known Zac his whole life, and considering I trust and value these individuals to give a testimony on character, I'm in support of giving the kid a chance in Bozeman.

As for the whole "short leash" idea, something tells me Zac would be the kid you would worry about the least. Well, maybe Tommy would beat him in this category, but you get the point. I have no doubt this kid would be straight on the line the rest of the way through.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:24 am

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:05 am
The Butcher wrote:

As the article states, he and his family had conversations with multiple teams to discuss the situation and all ended up with the same answer more or less.

He’s enrolled at the rival school that they’re admittedly upset with for jerking him along.

He’s enrolled part time so his athletic eligibility clock doesn’t start ticking.
If this team thinks he deserves a second chance, I couldn't agree more. If this team thinks he doesn't deserve a second chance, I couldn't agree more

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 am

Another poster mentioned players posts on egriz so I visited last night to see what he was taking about. I found an 8 page thread with about three quarters disappointed with how Bobby handled the situation by just hoping it would go away and Crews could play.

One item of interest was that one poster pulled some social media posts from former Griz players Akem and Curran. They were very vocal about Crews but they themselves had an interesting history of less than politically correct posts about race and women. It also sounded like someone from the school newspaper Kaimin was helping those players erase those indiscretions from their social media. Strange when the Kaimin was doing a lot to make sure Crews never played for the Griz, but went to lengths to protect the football players. I would provide a link for those posts at egriz, but I think the thread was locked up this morning and must have been DELETED. Usually they get locked up and you can still read it, but not this one…

While none of this changes that Crews made a dumb mistake, it does appear that Crews did not get a fair chance at UM. Seems people were working against this kid to make a political statement.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:19 am

Rich K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Just remember, you can only use the n word if you are a comedian, politician, or black.
It's not funny. It wasn't meant to be. It was serious and it was the truth. Why would you think it was supposed to be funny? Only a moron would try to find humor in this situation.
Only a Moron would try to explain this as ok.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:22 am

Dmsubrew wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:32 am
Rich K wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Haha these three comments hilarious. All the griz could hope for out of this situation. Instead of injecting our own ideals, how about letting the team decide who they want playing next to them. Nobody needs to be throwing their own crazy political/social views on this team for them. They have their own views on this situation I'm pretty sure. I think they'll be ok deciding their own future without the individuals on bobcat nation interjecting their own personal political/social views on them. No need to turn this into self serving politics
I think you are my new best friend.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:45 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 am
Another poster mentioned players posts on egriz so I visited last night to see what he was taking about. I found an 8 page thread with about three quarters disappointed with how Bobby handled the situation by just hoping it would go away and Crews could play.

One item of interest was that one poster pulled some social media posts from former Griz players Akem and Curran. They were very vocal about Crews but they themselves had an interesting history of less than politically correct posts about race and women. It also sounded like someone from the school newspaper Kaimin was helping those players erase those indiscretions from their social media. Strange when the Kaimin was doing a lot to make sure Crews never played for the Griz, but went to lengths to protect the football players. I would provide a link for those posts at egriz, but I think the thread was locked up this morning and must have been DELETED. Usually they get locked up and you can still read it, but not this one…

While none of this changes that Crews made a dumb mistake, it does appear that Crews did not get a fair chance at UM. Seems people were working against this kid to make a political statement.
Its locked and hidden, but seems you can still get to it
https://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtop ... 2#p1532962

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:49 am

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:45 am
Cataholic wrote:

sweeping it under the rug and hoping it will blow over seems to be a trend in grizzville....haha.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:47 pm

Will Hauck be calling the Gris football team together to determine if Akem will be allowed to stay on the team? That was some truly awful stuff.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:57 pm

Dmsubrew wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:24 am
ND0479 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:05 am
The Butcher wrote:

If this team thinks he deserves a second chance, I couldn't agree more. If this team thinks he doesn't deserve a second chance, I couldn't agree more
I doubt it is a 'second chance thing' as much of the potential distraction it could be to a team.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:02 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:45 am
Cataholic wrote:

I think you need a username and password to access. I won’t register at that cesspool.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:15 pm

If somebody does have access to those posts that would be very interesting for inquiring minds

theblackgecko
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by theblackgecko » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:22 pm

@Dmsubrew , to offer a random Internet commenter's opinion...
"So to conclude this point — nothing about this was authentic." - A commenter on another board
Not sure if there are any heroes in this whole mess, but there are plenty of villains.

"Great shot kid, don't get cocky."

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:27 pm

theblackgecko wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:22 pm
@Dmsubrew , to offer a random Internet commenter's opinion...
"So to conclude this point — nothing about this was authentic." - A commenter on another board
Not sure if there are any heroes in this whole mess, but there are plenty of villains.
Haha typical egiz. Ok not missing anything

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:20 am

This should 100% be something the team decides. Not coaches, not fans……players only.

Punters are people too!!