Goodbye ROOT, Hello... Scripps

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Goodbye ROOT, Hello... Scripps

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 20, 2022 4:56 pm

nodak651 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:45 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:46 pm
The big question is if we have to share the money with the conference. The BSC was promoting the deal but it's really only for two schools so hopefully none of the money leaves the state.

If other schools want traditional tv money they can try to get their own deals and see how that works out for them. Montana might be a small market in general but MSU and Missoula football have to be bigger advertising draws than any of the other schools, regardless of where they are on the map.
UND has RFP's out for new TV and Radio deals so this announcement by the Big Sky surprised me, because it seems like they hijacked what should be your local tv deal (think NDSU with WDAY and UND with Midco). Now, if the scripps games will be simulcast nationally on something like ION television, that would make more sense to me, as ION television is available nation wide with rabbit ears (similar to how Stadium takes over networks to air football games) https://www.groundedreason.com/how-to-w ... _Available IMO, the Big Sky should only be negotiating national tv deals and they should leave local deals up the the individual schools. I don't see any reason why CBSSN couldn't air some Montana or Montana State games either, would maybe require some scheduling flexibility but if they air Ivy games and college hockey I don't see how a game in Montana would be out of the question.

Montanta and Montana State should be allowed to negotiate their own local TV deals and you could probably get a better deal with Root if they weren't forced to air non Montana school Big Sky games.
You make a good point, although the relationship between the Big Sky and ESPN(+) may have had some bearing on the deal. Did ROOT ever carry games that didn’t involve one of the Montana schools? That coverage went through so many iterations with Fox Sports Northwest (FSN) and even Altitude that I don’t remember who carried what when or where.

nodak651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nodak651 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:20 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:56 pm
nodak651 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
The big question is if we have to share the money with the conference. The BSC was promoting the deal but it's really only for two schools so hopefully none of the money leaves the state.

If other schools want traditional tv money they can try to get their own deals and see how that works out for them. Montana might be a small market in general but MSU and Missoula football have to be bigger advertising draws than any of the other schools, regardless of where they are on the map.
UND has RFP's out for new TV and Radio deals so this announcement by the Big Sky surprised me, because it seems like they hijacked what should be your local tv deal (think NDSU with WDAY and UND with Midco). Now, if the scripps games will be simulcast nationally on something like ION television, that would make more sense to me, as ION television is available nation wide with rabbit ears (similar to how Stadium takes over networks to air football games) https://www.groundedreason.com/how-to-w ... _Available IMO, the Big Sky should only be negotiating national tv deals and they should leave local deals up the the individual schools. I don't see any reason why CBSSN couldn't air some Montana or Montana State games either, would maybe require some scheduling flexibility but if they air Ivy games and college hockey I don't see how a game in Montana would be out of the question.

Montanta and Montana State should be allowed to negotiate their own local TV deals and you could probably get a better deal with Root if they weren't forced to air non Montana school Big Sky games.
You make a good point, although the relationship between the Big Sky and ESPN(+) may have had some bearing on the deal. Did ROOT ever carry games that didn’t involve one of the Montana schools? That coverage went through so many iterations with Fox Sports Northwest (FSN) and even Altitude that I don’t remember who carried what when or where.
When UND was in the conference, yes, there were select games on Root that did not include the Montana schools, but I feel like two thirds or more did. I believe Altitude would simulcast Root games, as they were and maybe still are part of the same company, but I don't think there was any relationship between Root and Fox Sports, but I may be wrong about that. When games were aired on the Fox Sports regional networks it was because of local TV deals that NAU and UND had with their local Fox Sports regional network. I believe Root technically had 1st tier rights, I think Fox Sports SW or Arizona had NAU's 2nd tier rights, and some of UND's games that weren't picked up by Midco who had 2nd tier rights were aired on Fox Sports North (3rd tier rights). I believe UND just paid for the air time on FSN for those games. Occasionally, the same game (typically between UND/NAU) would be carried on two Fox Sports regional networks at the same time if there were not other games going on.

In regard to the ESPN+ part of the equation, a conference can have exclusive rights to streaming (such as espn+) while at the same time allowing schools to sign their own TV deals. For example, in UND's situation, our hockey conference has exclusive hockey streaming rights and UND sold TV rights to Midco for everything else (except CBSSN has 1st tier hockey rights). Since the hockey conference has exclusive streaming rights, Midco can only televise hockey games while at the same time hockey is streamed exclusively through the league at NCHC.TV. Midco also has their own version of ESPN+ for their Midco Sports networks, and all non hockey games that Midco airs are also available there, in addition to whatever is on ESPN's streamings servicez. Most games are on both midco and espn's streaming service but I don't think UND is getting money from ESPN or Midco for streaming. The summit doesn't currently have a TV deal or streaming deal as far as I am aware of. MVFC games are all on ESPN3/+ but midco still shows all football games that it broadcasts on its streaming platform despite whatever deal is in place between MVFC and ESPN.

I didn't intend to make this thread about UND. Rather, I think the Big Sky is screwing you, as you should be able to leverage your own local TV rights unless the Big SKy can sign a league-wide TV deal that evenly distributes games throughout the whole conference beyond your local markets. In other words, the Big Sky TV deal should be better than what you can accomplished by yourself.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri May 20, 2022 6:37 pm

nodak651 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:20 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
nodak651 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

When UND was in the conference, yes, there were select games on Root that did not include the Montana schools, but I feel like two thirds or more did. I believe Altitude would simulcast Root games, as they were and maybe still are part of the same company, but I don't think there was any relationship between Root and Fox Sports, but I may be wrong about that. When games were aired on the Fox Sports regional networks it was because of local TV deals that NAU and UND had with their local Fox Sports regional network. I believe Root technically had 1st tier rights, I think Fox Sports SW or Arizona had NAU's 2nd tier rights, and some of UND's games that weren't picked up by Midco who had 2nd tier rights were aired on Fox Sports North (3rd tier rights). I believe UND just paid for the air time on FSN for those games. Occasionally, the same game (typically between UND/NAU) would be carried on two Fox Sports regional networks at the same time if there were not other games going on.

In regard to the ESPN+ part of the equation, a conference can have exclusive rights to streaming (such as espn+) while at the same time allowing schools to sign their own TV deals. For example, in UND's situation, our hockey conference has exclusive hockey streaming rights and UND sold TV rights to Midco for everything else (except CBSSN has 1st tier hockey rights). Since the hockey conference has exclusive streaming rights, Midco can only televise hockey games while at the same time hockey is streamed exclusively through the league at NCHC.TV. Midco also has their own version of ESPN+ for their Midco Sports networks, and all non hockey games that Midco airs are also available there, in addition to whatever is on ESPN's streamings servicez. Most games are on both midco and espn's streaming service but I don't think UND is getting money from ESPN or Midco for streaming. The summit doesn't currently have a TV deal or streaming deal as far as I am aware of. MVFC games are all on ESPN3/+ but midco still shows all football games that it broadcasts on its streaming platform despite whatever deal is in place between MVFC and ESPN.

I didn't intend to make this thread about UND. Rather, I think the Big Sky is screwing you, as you should be able to leverage your own local TV rights unless the Big SKy can sign a league-wide TV deal that evenly distributes games throughout the whole conference beyond your local markets. In other words, the Big Sky TV deal should be better than what you can accomplished by yourself.
What ought to be obvious to everyone who frequents this site is that Montana is going to have to steal some more Dakota administrators. As a Harry Wong trained educator (saw the man six times in person!) I firmly believe that portion of his presentations that he said you steal the best and always surround yourself with those who are better than you are. Lessons learned and applied.

Nodak, you ought to contact Dr. Cruzado. Like Dr. Hertz said, Montana is short-sleeved shirt weather in the winter compared to North Dakota.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri May 20, 2022 7:42 pm

nodak651 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:20 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
nodak651 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

You've got the ROOT/FSN an Altitude/FSN relationships crossed up. Altitude has never been affiliated with FSN. ROOT sports Northwest and ROOT sports Rocky Mountain used to be Fox Sports Northwest and Fox Sports Rocky Mountain. Now one is ROOT and the other is AT&T Sportsnet. See below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Sports_Northwest

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_ ... y_Mountain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitud ... ertainment

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:56 am

I think the conference has negotiating rights for all conference games, they get input from the individual teams. The scripps deal assures that MSU & um games are available across Montana broadcast markets. The ESPN deal assures nationwide coverage for all BSC games. With the size of the markets in Montana this is about the best we can can get. I will miss the production quality of Root, but have hopes that scrips will do a decent job. I think SWX could have been better but they must have had a lower bid.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat May 21, 2022 2:04 pm

Well shoot, that leaves out Idaho. Guessing it cannot be streamed without having Scripps as a provider.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun May 22, 2022 10:35 am

RickRund wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 2:04 pm
Well shoot, that leaves out Idaho. Guessing it cannot be streamed without having Scripps as a provider.
ESPN+ should get you every conference game this year. I'm not 100% sure on OOC yet.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast