Jaden Smith Entered The Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

duelalumnicat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Jaden Smith Entered The Transfer Portal

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun May 08, 2022 7:39 pm

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 9770e.html

I was surprised to read this. Unlike Charles Brown and Jamahd Monroe, Jaden Smith actually started the first eleven games last year for the Bobcats. Given his size and blocking ability, I thought his future with the Bobcats looked bright. I did not follow spring ball closely. Does anybody have any insight into why Jaden Smith decided to leave?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jaden Smith Entered The Transfer Portal

Post by AFCAT » Sun May 08, 2022 8:12 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

duelalumnicat

Post by duelalumnicat » Sun May 08, 2022 9:00 pm

Thanks, AFCAT. I missed the original thread.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun May 08, 2022 9:55 pm

Rats.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat May 21, 2022 10:03 am

Tarleton football.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun May 22, 2022 10:36 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:03 am
Tarleton football.

Small word - https://tarletonsports.com/sports/footb ... easley/507

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun May 22, 2022 2:46 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:36 am
AFCAT wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 10:03 am
Tarleton football.

Small word - https://tarletonsports.com/sports/footb ... easley/507
He’s uh…put on a pound or two.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:57 am

Pecos24

Post by Pecos24 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:21 am

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:57 am
Incredible catch by Jaden!

https://twitter.com/tarletonfb/status/1 ... 9yUs-_vepA
He had himself a night…11 catches for 95 yards and 3 TDs.

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:56 am

Still don’t get why he left, as he would have been the go to receiver this year on a team contending for a national title…?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:25 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:56 am
Still don’t get why he left, as he would have been the go to receiver this year on a team contending for a national title…?
His new school being less than 100 miles from his hometown would seem to be a glaring reason for potentially making that move. Kids need to do what's best for them and if that means moving back closer to family then best of luck to them. His playing time also dwindled away to nothing as the season progressed last year, so I can see some potential dissatisfaction there too.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:46 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:56 am
Because for a guy who's game was built around making contested catches, he made remarkably few contested catches.

Smith had the potential to be good, but he wasn't yet. He's definitely not better than Ravi.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 am

Tons of talent; something just always seemed to be missing.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:55 am

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 am

I guess I just wish more players could be more like Lance.

You could say the same thing about him his first couple years- super athletic with lots of potential, but it wasn’t really clicking….. but he put in his time, kept developing, had an all time great senior year (and now is in the nfl).

Too many players have the mentality where “if I’m not playing as a freshman or sophomore then I’m leaving”…. I don’t know, it’s obviously their choice to do whatever makes them happy, but it just bugs me.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:41 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:55 am
superbobcat wrote:

You could say the same thing about him his first couple years- super athletic with lots of potential, but it wasn’t really clicking….. but he put in his time, kept developing, had an all time great senior year (and now is in the nfl).

Too many players have the mentality where “if I’m not playing as a freshman or sophomore then I’m leaving”…. I don’t know, it’s obviously their choice to do whatever makes them happy, but it just bugs me.
Lance is not the best comparison. He's from Bozeman. If he didn't like his playing time he'd have to leave his home, not return to it. I'd say Kevin Kassis is a better comparison. He came in from out of state and switched positions, was saddled with "less than stellar" QBs and had a head coach that was happy to drag teams into deep water rather than developing a balanced attack.

With the freedom to transfer comes the allure to always find greener grass (or field turf :D). It's not like we haven't benefited from it. It's tough to see guys come in and leave before their time is up but overall I think everyone benefits. Maybe not individually but at a system level.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:12 am

mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Willie Patterson is an excellent example. Had a great season in 2018, but then struggled the following year. Had a tough time running routes and several dropped balls. He really turned things around last year and became a key cog in the receiving corps, especially late in the season. He's been one of my favorite players since arriving in Bozeman, and I really think we are gonna see big things from Willie this year.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:29 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:41 am
mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

Lance is not the best comparison. He's from Bozeman. If he didn't like his playing time he'd have to leave his home, not return to it. I'd say Kevin Kassis is a better comparison. He came in from out of state and switched positions, was saddled with "less than stellar" QBs and had a head coach that was happy to drag teams into deep water rather than developing a balanced attack.

With the freedom to transfer comes the allure to always find greener grass (or field turf :D). It's not like we haven't benefited from it. It's tough to see guys come in and leave before their time is up but overall I think everyone benefits. Maybe not individually but at a system level.
Kassis didn't switch positions. He played WR in HS.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:35 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:29 am
coloradocat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

I thought he backed up the guy that went to Notre Dame but maybe he just caught passes from him. Either way, I think he's a good example of sticking it out through a less than favorable situation.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:50 am

mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

There are just so many reasons a guy might leave. Sometimes it's the program's fault, sometimes it's the player's fault. But I do think part of the draw for these kids from places like Texas is that they think it's a step down from what they MIGHT be able to do and they feel like they can be THE GUY at MSU. I have no doubt the coaches say "you're going to have to come in here and earn it", and the players hear that, but they think they're a little better than the rest. I even think MSU has recruited that way...come in here and make a difference or go somewhere else and get lost in the shuffle. At some point that overall talent level increases and guys blend in that would've stood out 10 years ago.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:20 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:35 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:29 am
coloradocat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
superbobcat wrote:

I thought he backed up the guy that went to Notre Dame but maybe he just caught passes from him. Either way, I think he's a good example of sticking it out through a less than favorable situation.
I know he played some QB, but his primary position was WR.