Bozeman and the football program

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bozeman and the football program

Post by The Butcher » Fri May 06, 2022 7:45 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:53 am
Now I work remotely for my employer based in Bozeman.

Truth be told I’m glad we left Bozeman, because it isn’t Montana anymore and I prefer the Montana feel and blue collar attitude of an actual Montana town versus a resort/transplant town.
Most blue collar folks don't have the luxury to work remotely. :wink:

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri May 06, 2022 8:01 am

I think this could be a HUGE reason that the only night game is Gold Rush. Thankfully there are cheaper motel options within two hours of Bozeman basically any direction (except south to West Yellowstone) for the afternoon games.

Hating the griz since 02.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 am

I find this entire thread to be a rant against market economies.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 06, 2022 9:08 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 am
Some of it sure, but it is an issue where it's fair or not. How big, I do not know and what can be done about it, I also do not know but I do worry it is going to eventually cause issues with hiring and retaining lower level staff - we have big city FBS housing prices with mediocre FCS level pay. If some fans can no longer afford to go that also is a concern but like others have said more lodging is being built so I suspect it'll come down some eventually, but considering season tickets are likely going to sell out again it seems there are enough people with money to be able to afford at least the ticket side of it, even if they don't go to every game. Honestly you see this at all levels of sports across the country, attending a sporting event is getting more and more expensive every year, pricing out local fans who just can't afford to drop that kind of money.

As others have said, Bozeman lost the basketball tournaments because of the unaffordable lodging so the problem is very real for your average Montanan wanting to stay a night or two in Bozeman.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri May 06, 2022 9:12 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:50 pm
gtapp wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:46 pm
I don't buy the argument out of towners are being priced out. It is 6-8 weekends per year. You really only need to stay one night unless you are flying in. You can bring food or eat at Pickle Barrell. It just doesn't cost that much. I have been flying in from either MN or San Diego since 1999. Just like your season tickets you have to plan and budget for football. If you can afford the season tickets you can afford a night or 2 in Bozeman.
This post it’s precisely the issue. People moving into Bozeman think it’s cheap compared to where they came from. Montana people want to enjoy something that they have been enjoying for generations and the outside money is making that tough. This is exactly the problem, the outside money don’t think it’s an issue, while 99.9% of the average joes don’t think it’s an issue, they know it’s an issue. If Bobcat football wasn’t something I enjoy and I wasn’t required to go to Bozeman for my job, I would never step foot in the city again.
That's an odd dynamic, hating the town and the culture of the town that your favorite college football team resides in.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:28 am

This is an interesting thread to read for several reasons. Clearly Bozeman is on a “growth” curve and it’s not stopping any time soon. It might be time to just get used to it. I read today that Hyundai is coming to town and setting up shop for another R&D project. Good for them and those who can make the move.

Last summer I was in Montana for our vaccinations and we tried to travel through Bozeman for a night. It was too expensive to stay so we headed down to Sun Valley and stayed instead as we were visiting family. We caught it coming back and enjoyed the day in the town, but it certainly wasn’t the town way back in ‘76! That said, I didn’t like it any less, and in fact applauded the community for being on the upside of growth. So, I can’t spend the night, or, better I chose not to, but that doesn’t diminish the enjoyment I have every time I am in the town. Bozeman was, is, and will always be a special place. Now, if I can only get to a game…ha!

Montanans are a people who like their cake and want to eat it too!

I read this week that Montana is #8 on the top 10 states who need Federal funding to balance their books. A little over 50% of the State coffers are filled with out of state funding from the Feds. YET, the State votes Red! Hmmm, we are all for “smaller government” after we get our hands out of the cookie jar. Enjoy the benefits MSU and the Cats have, and forget about wishing for “yesterday”…(prices… etc), I used to bounce at the George…and it’s gone. Probably a good thing…but I enjoyed my time there at the time!

The free market will balance the scales, probably not as soon as some would like and to the degree that they would, but hey…it’s not 1976 anymore!

AZBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by AZBobcat » Fri May 06, 2022 10:18 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:28 am
This is an interesting thread to read for several reasons. Clearly Bozeman is on a “growth” curve and it’s not stopping any time soon. It might be time to just get used to it. I read today that Hyundai is coming to town and setting up shop for another R&D project. Good for them and those who can make the move.

Last summer I was in Montana for our vaccinations and we tried to travel through Bozeman for a night. It was too expensive to stay so we headed down to Sun Valley and stayed instead as we were visiting family. We caught it coming back and enjoyed the day in the town, but it certainly wasn’t the town way back in ‘76! That said, I didn’t like it any less, and in fact applauded the community for being on the upside of growth. So, I can’t spend the night, or, better I chose not to, but that doesn’t diminish the enjoyment I have every time I am in the town. Bozeman was, is, and will always be a special place. Now, if I can only get to a game…ha!

I read this week that Montana is #8 on the top 10 states who need Federal funding to balance their books. A little over 50% of the State coffers are filled with out of state funding from the Feds. YET, the State votes Red! Hmmm, we are all for “smaller government” after we get our hands out of the cookie jar. Enjoy the benefits MSU and the Cats have, and forget about wishing for “yesterday”…(prices… etc), I used to bounce at the George…and it’s gone. Probably a good thing…but I enjoyed my time there at the time!

The free market will balance the scales, probably not as soon as some would like and to the degree that they would, but hey…it’s not 1976 anymore!

https://balancingeverything.com/most-fe ... recipients.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri May 06, 2022 11:02 am

CelticCat wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 9:12 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:50 pm
gtapp wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:46 pm
I don't buy the argument out of towners are being priced out. It is 6-8 weekends per year. You really only need to stay one night unless you are flying in. You can bring food or eat at Pickle Barrell. It just doesn't cost that much. I have been flying in from either MN or San Diego since 1999. Just like your season tickets you have to plan and budget for football. If you can afford the season tickets you can afford a night or 2 in Bozeman.
This post it’s precisely the issue. People moving into Bozeman think it’s cheap compared to where they came from. Montana people want to enjoy something that they have been enjoying for generations and the outside money is making that tough. This is exactly the problem, the outside money don’t think it’s an issue, while 99.9% of the average joes don’t think it’s an issue, they know it’s an issue. If Bobcat football wasn’t something I enjoy and I wasn’t required to go to Bozeman for my job, I would never step foot in the city again.
That's an odd dynamic, hating the town and the culture of the town that your favorite college football team resides in.
It's odd, but I don't think it's unreasonable. I still love Bozeman, but I don't love it like I did 25 years ago. I'm somewhere in the middle of liking the growth of Montana and wanting it to be like 50 years ago. I like good restaurants, more options for flights, and the fact that my house is worth a lot of money (even though it doesn't do me any good if I want to buy something else). But I find myself thinking I'd give all that up to not pay a ton, to have less traffic, to be able to get into Glacier Park any time I want, etc. There are plenty of great people who would be perfectly happy eating at 4B's, not flying anywhere, and not having their net worth mostly defined by their home value. Bozeman used to be this cool cowboy/ski/college town. Now it's a trendy, expensive, resort/college town. Sometimes that's fun for me, other times I find myself in a place like White Sulphur Springs thinking "this is awesome". And I also think it's reasonable for a person to not like the politics of a place even if I don't agree with them. I'd think there are progressives and conservatives who have places they don't enjoy that maybe they once did...or who still like some things about an area but can't stand the rest of it. I'd bet there are lots of progressives from Florida who hate the red wave that has overtaken that state but still love their universities or something else they grew up with and love dearly.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Fri May 06, 2022 11:13 am

catsrback76 wrote:

You are right, the free market will eventually balance the scales most likely at a much higher level. However, what is the impact in the interim going to be on the football program as far as fans, recruiting, players themselves, attendance at summer camps and coaches. The suggestion on here that the athletic dept. do some surveys to try to get a handle on the impacts, is a good one.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 06, 2022 11:37 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 11:13 am
catsrback76 wrote:

You are right, the free market will eventually balance the scales most likely at a much higher level. However, what is the impact in the interim going to be on the football program as far as fans, recruiting, players themselves, attendance at summer camps and coaches. The suggestion on here that the athletic dept. do some surveys to try to get a handle on the impacts, is a good one.
You are correct in one thing, the % return may be correct.
But the Total returned is not mentioned.
https://www.moneygeek.com/living/states ... 8c93a2d359

And where does most of the money come back to?
I think this chart is much more telling of Federal spending goes. Montana is 0.28 % of the total.
https://www.usaspending.gov/state

Choose the statistics that you think are relevant.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Fri May 06, 2022 11:46 am

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:24 am
I think there is a difference between a rant and recognizing an issue and showing concern for it.

Yes, this is the free market at play, Bozeman is booming and prices are reflecting that.

But by and large, the transplants in Bozeman are not the hardcore, season ticket holding Bobcat fans. Those are more of your traditional Montanans. A lot of which don’t live in Bozeman, but within a few hours of Bozeman and make a Saturday or weekend trip to Bozeman in the fall a part of their life. If those people continue to get priced out of that experience, it COULD lead to a drop in attendance at games.
It also might not have any noticeable affect on game attendance, maybe the growing student body and/or transplants scoop up those tickets and we continue to see sellouts every game.
The point is, it’s a very real topic and one that has a lot of people concerned.
If you’re not seeing the concern, the price increases don’t affect you, you live in Bozeman already and don’t travel to games, etc, then you’re not necessarily the “target audience” if you will, to this topic.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri May 06, 2022 12:50 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I agree, there are things to be done for sure! Those must be investigated, but the days of wine are roses are over… who is the next whale to fund our IPF?

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri May 06, 2022 1:05 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:50 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I agree, there are things to be done for sure! Those must be investigated, but the days of wine are roses are over… who is the next whale to fund our IPF?
I was kind of getting to this in my earlier post on this thread. There are people making fortunes in Montana one way or another. Maybe they owned a ranch that's worth $100M now, or maybe they owned 100 acres out in Four Corners that was worth $75k in 1985 and now it's worth $30M. Or maybe they own a couple of hotels in the Bozeman area. I'm hopeful that the next "whale" is just some semi-regular person who rode the wave and suddenly has an eight or nine-figure net worth and loves the Bobcats.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri May 06, 2022 1:07 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:45 am
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Truth be told I’m glad we left Bozeman, because it isn’t Montana anymore and I prefer the Montana feel and blue collar attitude of an actual Montana town versus a resort/transplant town.
In my eyes, a staff accountant is blue collar wouldn’t you say?

If your left, you aren’t right.

Bobcat80
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat80 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:29 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:07 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

My family left Bozeman because it priced us out. That was 8 years ago. I am very blue collar and I work remotely. It's not a matter of job status.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 06, 2022 1:51 pm

catsrback76 wrote:

I would guess the funding is similar in other large geographic states with small populations. Montana is the 4th largest state, but 45th in population.
Montana generally votes red for president, but otherwise its more of a purple state. Before Gianforte, we had 16 consecutive years of democrat governors, and 1 of our 2 senators (Tester) is a 3rd term democrat.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon May 09, 2022 7:54 am

Bobcat80 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:29 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

My family left Bozeman because it priced us out. That was 8 years ago. I am very blue collar and I work remotely. It's not a matter of job status.
I am VERY curious what some folks on here think a 'blue collar job" is. :shock:
I would guess if a person working remotely in their home office told a construction worker they are also a blue collar worker like them they might get a pretty serious eye roll. :lol:
But then again, I guess some accountants swing hammer at those balance sheets. :lol:

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Mon May 09, 2022 9:20 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:54 am
Bobcat80 wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 1:29 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

I am VERY curious what some folks on here think a 'blue collar job" is. :shock:
I would guess if a person working remotely in their home office told a construction worker they are also a blue collar worker like them they might get a pretty serious eye roll. :lol:
But then again, I guess some accountants swing hammer at those balance sheets. :lol:
I always thought Blue Collar/White Collar referred to the typical shirt color or type of uniform a worker wore.....not necessarily an indication of managerial status or salary level.

Blue Collar would be primarily manual or labor intensive careers (manufacturing, construction, agriculture, maintenance, nurses, preschool teachers, mortuary techs, aviation mechanics, chef/cook, etc.) while White Collar meant office/tech/paper type careers (university professor, lawyer, accountant, design engineer, car rental sales clerk).

Basically, any job where you might be expected to wear a white button up shirt & it would stay relatively clean at the end of a day = White Collar. So yes....a remote working, from your home office, staff accountant does = white collar.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:07 am

Interesting discussion. I think everyone should look at past Montana history. I like seeing all the growth and change in Bozeman. It’s good change IMO. Unlike a lot of towns that have been hit by economic downfall or drug problems, etc.

Butte in the Copper King Era, Helena post gold rush, Glasgow AFB, Virginia City, Bannack are all good stories of rapid growth and change.

Also look at all the casinos/gambling around the state. The meth problem. Again, I’ll take the change in Bozeman over that.

I’m from Hinsdale and that town has changed a lot, too, relatively speaking.

I currently live in Helena and have been here since 1972. I rarely see anyone I know or even recognize. I’m indifferent about it. Sometimes it sucks to run into anyone I know.

I actually like Montana to have more diversity. Be it financial*, racial or whatever.

*not including impoverished.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon May 09, 2022 11:13 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:07 am
Interesting discussion. I think everyone should look at past Montana history. I like seeing all the growth and change in Bozeman. It’s good change IMO. Unlike a lot of towns that have been hit by economic downfall or drug problems, etc.

Butte in the Copper King Era, Helena post gold rush, Glasgow AFB, Virginia City, Bannack are all good stories of rapid growth and change.

Also look at all the casinos/gambling around the state. The meth problem. Again, I’ll take the change in Bozeman over that.

I’m from Hinsdale and that town has changed a lot, too, relatively speaking.

I currently live in Helena and have been here since 1972. I rarely see anyone I know or even recognize. I’m indifferent about it. Sometimes it sucks to run into anyone I know.

I actually like Montana to have more diversity. Be it financial*, racial or whatever.

*not including impoverished.
Tom, I really think most people that live in Bozeman would say the opposite. While growth can be good, the extremely rapid growth in Bozeman has a huge downside. The average person cannot afford to live there. There are people living in campers and tents all over town. Many small businesses have to close or drastically limit hours they are open, because they cannot find workers. Hotels are so expensive, people that are traveling are avoiding Bozeman. The State basketball tournament is a good example. Families from around Montana could not attend because of the expense. Now, Bozeman will probably not get any future tournaments. Families cannot afford to send their kids to the Bobcat football and basketball Summer camps. And, fans cannot afford to stay overnight for weekend home football games. The list goes on and on and it is starting to have a very real negative effect on MSU.