TJ Session in portal.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: TJ Session in portal.

Post by coloradocat » Mon May 02, 2022 7:48 pm

It will be interesting to see where he lands.

Also, I think we may have gotten a little insight into why Flores has a negative slant in his articles from time to time. Hopefully he finds a job somewhere else he'd rather be in the near future.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon May 02, 2022 7:50 pm

Like I said before. The weather in Montana is not for everyone. Not being able to go to class in shorts. Not being able to just go outside and enjoy the day. JT being stuck inside, being stuck in his room. It can wear on a kid. I wish him the best. I'm sure sorry to see him go.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon May 02, 2022 7:55 pm

Guess the only thing to do in Bozeman is ski, snowboard, ranch, or be copped up in your room :lol:

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Mon May 02, 2022 8:05 pm

That article shows also that we (bobcatnation.com) folks really need to watch what is said here. He read this thread. I made my earlier post in this thread not knowing a single thing about TJ or his story. I’ve never as much as met the young man. These journeys for are so difficult for so many kids, especially when far from home. I am SUPER proud of this guy, for recognizing where he was at and making a good decision for him, as a person. Wins in life are always secondary to wins in athletics.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon May 02, 2022 8:09 pm

Good interview. Glad he is doing what’s best for him (on a personal/mental health level).

Still bummed he is leaving…. future all American for a national championship caliber team (in my humble opinion).

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon May 02, 2022 8:23 pm

I love the honesty and I get it. The things that make me (and most of us on this forum) love Montana aren’t always mutual. Some people love the city, some hate it. Some love isolation and some hate it.

Thanks to TJ for what he did for Bobcat football and wish you luck. I’ll be rooting for you wherever you decide to go.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon May 02, 2022 8:26 pm

tdub wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:05 pm
That article shows also that we (bobcatnation.com) folks really need to watch what is said here. He read this thread. I made my earlier post in this thread not knowing a single thing about TJ or his story. I’ve never as much as met the young man. These journeys for are so difficult for so many kids, especially when far from home. I am SUPER proud of this guy, for recognizing where he was at and making a good decision for him, as a person. Wins in life are always secondary to wins in athletics.
Agree 100%. As a fan I’m bummed he’s leaving because he was clearly going to be a starter for the next 3 years.
But I can understand where he’s coming from and completely respect that he made that decision for himself. Montana isn’t for everyone, no hard feelings on that front.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon May 02, 2022 9:18 pm

I was very humbled by the TJ Sessions 406 article. The idea that the cold and dark of Bozeman would affect somebody so much would never have occurred to me in a million years. Good for TJ to recognize that and look for a solution. Godspeed young man.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Mon May 02, 2022 10:14 pm

It seems in that article that about half the questions are aiming for throwing shade and stirring controversy at MSU.
Then, every answer from TJ is nope. You are wrong. No controversy. MSU is not the problem.
Then, as if seeing the biased slant of the "sports writer's" questions, TJ finishes with a strong Go Cats Go, FTG!
Good for TJ. That's a hard decision to make for sure.
...Even without a crummy sports writer trying to use his situatiion to conjure up a crummy article and try to drum up a fake controversy

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Mon May 02, 2022 10:53 pm

Maybe this guy should call up sulser and ask him the same questions:

406: You kind of touched on it, but is there anything more you can say to some of these rumors or worries that all these transfers say something about where Montana is as a program

egris would be grabbing pitchforks and torches

Post by 083190 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:45 am

If he strives to reach the highest level...Seattle, Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo, New York, New England and the northern cities with domes and cold, gloomy weather may not be options. Roughly about a quarter of the teams.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 am

083190 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:45 am
If he strives to reach the highest level...Seattle, Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo, New York, New England and the northern cities with domes and cold, gloomy weather may not be options. Roughly about a quarter of the teams.
Odd comment. So are you saying he should have stayed at MSU in a place where he wasn't happy based on the astronomically small chance that he may be drafted by Green Bay or Buffalo in a few years?

Post by 083190 » Tue May 03, 2022 8:20 am

MSU01 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 am
083190 wrote:
Odd comment. So are you saying he should have stayed at MSU in a place where he wasn't happy based on the astronomically small chance that he may be drafted by Green Bay or Buffalo in a few years?
Interesting take on the post. Don't read between the lines. There's nothing there. The young man said that he aspires to the highest level. At the highest level many cities have cold, gloomy weather. If cold, gloomy weather affects his psyche in Bozeman, wouldn't it stand to affect him elsewhere? If so, that may preclude a positive environment in those cities.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue May 03, 2022 8:50 am

083190 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:20 am
MSU01 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 7:59 am
083190 wrote:
Interesting take on the post. Don't read between the lines. There's nothing there. The young man said that he aspires to the highest level. At the highest level many cities have cold, gloomy weather. If cold, gloomy weather affects his psyche in Bozeman, wouldn't it stand to affect him elsewhere? If so, that may preclude a positive environment in those cities.
I think when you are making NFL money, you can find ways to deal with the gloom just a bit better.

I admit, I get a little butthurt when kids leave because I love it here. But I don't begrudge anyone finding a place they are more comfortable. I think the hard part is we just don't know with half of them. TJ thanks for your time here, good luck!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue May 03, 2022 9:02 am

I honestly wondered if the loss of some key senior leadership might have factored into some of their decisions:
"All the guys that transferred, I can try to speak for them, we all really looked up to those older guys: Troy Andersen, Lewis Kidd, Taylor Tuiasosopo, (Zach) Redd, Daniel Hardy, Amandre (Williams), all those guys, those were really our group. Everybody’s left."

Sounds like TJ is a bit depressed in Bozeman, so hopefully he can find a better fit somewhere else. He re-iterated it has nothing to do with MSU the program, coaches, or any of that.

Also, just another reminder that some of these kids do read BN:

"I can tell you for sure, I was reading the BobcatNation(.com) posts, and it has nothing to do with NIL deals. I see news reports and stuff of people transferring because of NIL deals, and I had no idea about all that money stuff. No, I just want to go somewhere to play and be happy, honestly."

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue May 03, 2022 9:15 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:02 am
I honestly wondered if the loss of some key senior leadership might have factored into some of their decisions:
"All the guys that transferred, I can try to speak for them, we all really looked up to those older guys: Troy Andersen, Lewis Kidd, Taylor Tuiasosopo, (Zach) Redd, Daniel Hardy, Amandre (Williams), all those guys, those were really our group. Everybody’s left."

Sounds like TJ is a bit depressed in Bozeman, so hopefully he can find a better fit somewhere else. He re-iterated it has nothing to do with MSU the program, coaches, or any of that.

Also, just another reminder that some of these kids do read BN:

"I can tell you for sure, I was reading the BobcatNation(.com) posts, and it has nothing to do with NIL deals. I see news reports and stuff of people transferring because of NIL deals, and I had no idea about all that money stuff. No, I just want to go somewhere to play and be happy, honestly."
Wish him all the best. Football is supposed to be fun. If you're not happy where you're at, why not go someplace where you feel you'll be happy?

Hell, I've lived in Bozeman my entire life and love things about it and hate things about it. Lately it's more of the latter with the crazy influx of people and the 9 month winters seem to be getting to me. I can totally relate. Hope he goes somewhere warm and sunny, maybe close to family, and has all the success in the world. =D^

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue May 03, 2022 11:00 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:18 pm
I was very humbled by the TJ Sessions 406 article. The idea that the cold and dark of Bozeman would affect somebody so much would never have occurred to me in a million years. Good for TJ to recognize that and look for a solution. Godspeed young man.
I went to UM my first year of college when the mill was still pumping out pulp smoke and it seemed the sun rarely was out in the winter and it stunk even on campus of the mill. I left after two quarters in part because I couldn’t stand the darkness and transferred to MSU the next fall. Growing up in mostly sunny Billings and moving to Missoula was a much bigger change than I thought it would be and the climate completely affected my mental state of being.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue May 03, 2022 11:03 am

083190 wrote:
Seems obvious, but the difference is it is his choice where he wants to go to college and spend these years.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Post by 083190 » Tue May 03, 2022 1:14 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:03 am
083190 wrote:
Seems obvious, but the difference is it is his choice where he wants to go to college and spend these years.
100% true. He has the right to make a choice that he feels is best for him. The choice of "where" may not happen if he earns a shot at the next level. His departure hurts the depth of our program. But that's the world we live in now. Wish him all the best and hope he flourishes wherever he decides to go.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue May 03, 2022 1:42 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:18 pm
catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:51 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:53 am
I think it's interesting that MSU had 20 NFL teams represented at Pro Day and yet, some of these kids think a mediocre G5 school is going to get them more exposure. It's a possibility, but I think the FCS in general is getting more exposure, especially with the ESPN+ deal and increase impressions on social media.
MSU had 20 pro scouts because one of the greatest players in program history (and is a physical freak with intelligence) happened to be from a small town in Montana and didn’t get the FBS offers he would received had he played at a larger school and was in the summer camp circuit.

Let’s not pretend that 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. That’s an unrealistic expectation.
He didn't say 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. The point is valid, and I've brought this up on the board numerous times. I'm all for these guys doing what's best for them but if they're slated to start for the MSU Bobcats and help them get back to Frisco, and they leave for a mid level FBS program hoping for a starting spot to maybe make it to a meaningless bowl game... in order to boost their draft stock, that's a mistake. I'd be willing to bet that Troy Andersen would net be getting drafted any higher this weekend had he played FBS football.
Yeah, he most likely would have. He probably would’ve been able to play 4 years at LB and focus on one position. Regardless, he’ll still get drafted high.
IMO the fact that he played other positions really showcased his crazy athleticism and understanding of football... which IMO caused him to be drafted at #58. Agree to disagree - and let's get this thread back to TJ. After reading the interview I am super happy for the kid. It's not easy to admit and talk about depression and mental health issues. Good for him.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!