TJ Session in portal.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: TJ Session in portal.

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:33 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:59 am
MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:29 am
There are a myriad of reasons why Session might have decided to transfer, and most of them have absolutely nothing to do with NFL exposure. I think it's very easy to overanalyze this, and from a highly biased perspective no less. For all we know it's as simple as that he just hates the winters in Montana and wants to be somewhere warmer. Hopefully his change of scenery works out for him!
Most of the time we aren't going to know the reason a kid wants to transfer, and I'm of the belief we are not entitled to know either. If they share, great, but their reasons are theirs and theirs alone if they so choose. I'm as curious as anyone about why a guy like TJ would transfer who was likely looking at starting for the next 3 years for MSU but he has his reasons.
I agree, he has his reasons and those reasons are none of our business. But if he transfers from MSU to a low-level FBS program like South Alabama or Hawaii it isn't some kind of slight to MSU or automatically a bad decision as some on here seem to want to make it out to be. Ultimately it's about TJ Session and where he'll be happiest living, attending school, and playing football for the next three years. If that's in Hawaii or Alabama instead of in Montana, so be it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:37 am

Just remember. We have a starting center, the rest is TBD, and our O-line will still be better than the gris.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:55 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:37 am
Just remember. We have a starting center, the rest is TBD, and our O-line will still be better than the gris.
I second this. Rush Reimer is going to be a good left tackle next year everyone. Solid play can be found on the interior between JT Reed, Marcus Wehr (blew me away how good he looked in the spring game), Cole Sain, and Joe McElroy. If Jacob Kettels is healthy by the fall, he is 100% a plug and play right tackle.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:37 pm

How many of the returning OL players got game time in 21/22

Sports is not bigger than life

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:43 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:37 pm
How many of the returning OL players got game time in 21/22
Justus Perkins, Cole Sain, Rush Reimer, Joe McElroy

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:51 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:53 am
I think it's interesting that MSU had 20 NFL teams represented at Pro Day and yet, some of these kids think a mediocre G5 school is going to get them more exposure. It's a possibility, but I think the FCS in general is getting more exposure, especially with the ESPN+ deal and increase impressions on social media.
MSU had 20 pro scouts because one of the greatest players in program history (and is a physical freak with intelligence) happened to be from a small town in Montana and didn’t get the FBS offers he would received had he played at a larger school and was in the summer camp circuit.

Let’s not pretend that 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. That’s an unrealistic expectation.
He didn't say 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. The point is valid, and I've brought this up on the board numerous times. I'm all for these guys doing what's best for them but if they're slated to start for the MSU Bobcats and help them get back to Frisco, and they leave for a mid level FBS program hoping for a starting spot to maybe make it to a meaningless bowl game... in order to boost their draft stock, that's a mistake. I'd be willing to bet that Troy Andersen would net be getting drafted any higher this weekend had he played FBS football.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:16 pm

That sucks. The cold weather is not for everyone. Best of luck to TJ.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:37 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:55 am
Hawks86 wrote:
I second this. Rush Reimer is going to be a good left tackle next year everyone. Solid play can be found on the interior between JT Reed, Marcus Wehr (blew me away how good he looked in the spring game), Cole Sain, and Joe McElroy. If Jacob Kettels is healthy by the fall, he is 100% a plug and play right tackle.
All true statements, but.... we can't lose guys like this and compete with NDSU. In order to compete with NDSU we need to find a way to keep these guys. I have been looking for a while but can't find any significant transfers from the NDSU Program. Have any significant contributors at NDSU left for a bigger program? Honest question, I really can't remember one.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:38 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:37 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
All true statements, but.... we can't lose guys like this and compete with NDSU. In order to compete with NDSU we need to find a way to keep these guys. I have been looking for a while but can't find any significant transfers from the NDSU Program. Have any significant contributors at NDSU left for a bigger program? Honest question, I really can't remember one.
Jabril Cox - LSU

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:46 pm

Definitely unexpected, but if he's able to get a bigger offer, then I guess that's what the NCAA looks like these days.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:49 pm

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:49 pm
NOW its starting to make more sense. You better be recruiting 4-5 offensive lineman a year and have guys ready.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:
These have to be walk-on offers right? Even so, they may help get scholarship offers from more G5 schools.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:18 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:51 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:53 am
I think it's interesting that MSU had 20 NFL teams represented at Pro Day and yet, some of these kids think a mediocre G5 school is going to get them more exposure. It's a possibility, but I think the FCS in general is getting more exposure, especially with the ESPN+ deal and increase impressions on social media.
MSU had 20 pro scouts because one of the greatest players in program history (and is a physical freak with intelligence) happened to be from a small town in Montana and didn’t get the FBS offers he would received had he played at a larger school and was in the summer camp circuit.

Let’s not pretend that 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. That’s an unrealistic expectation.
He didn't say 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. The point is valid, and I've brought this up on the board numerous times. I'm all for these guys doing what's best for them but if they're slated to start for the MSU Bobcats and help them get back to Frisco, and they leave for a mid level FBS program hoping for a starting spot to maybe make it to a meaningless bowl game... in order to boost their draft stock, that's a mistake. I'd be willing to bet that Troy Andersen would net be getting drafted any higher this weekend had he played FBS football.
Yeah, he most likely would have. He probably would’ve been able to play 4 years at LB and focus on one position. Regardless, he’ll still get drafted high.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:47 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:05 pm
CelticCat wrote:
These have to be walk-on offers right? Even so, they may help get scholarship offers from more G5 schools.
Nope. Full-rides. Just like Connor Wood last year. Kids aren't going to enter the transfer portal for PWO offers.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:57 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
NDSU and SDSU are almost identical on the OL. In fact, SDSU had more all-MVFC OL than NDSU.

But never mind all that. Missouri State could be the best team in the MVFC in 2022.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:06 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
We had a coaching change, plus several new assistants — NDSU did not. I don’t know how academics compare but that can take a toll as well.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:07 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:38 pm
bobcatfan123 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Jabril Cox - LSU
Trey Lance left way early for a bigger program. San Francisco 49ers.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:14 pm

Many people said the portal or NIL would not affect FCS. It is doing exactly what I had predicted: turned FCS into a development league. Starters transferring to FBS will become a regular occurrence.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:09 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:07 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:38 pm
bobcatfan123 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Jabril Cox - LSU
Trey Lance left way early for a bigger program. San Francisco 49ers.
And look what happened to him: stuck on the bench all year. :wink:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!