TJ Session in portal.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: TJ Session in portal.

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue May 03, 2022 3:24 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:18 pm
I was very humbled by the TJ Sessions 406 article. The idea that the cold and dark of Bozeman would affect somebody so much would never have occurred to me in a million years. Good for TJ to recognize that and look for a solution. Godspeed young man.
If you’re raised in the sunshine Bozeman can be rough in the winter, although there are much worse places in the Northwest. Bozeman has become cloudier with the warmer winters. Surgery can play on your mind, too. I’m a born and raised Hawk and Bobcat Bozeman native, but after I had a very poorly done hip replacement winters became intolerable being stuck in the house. And for sure the Covid year had to weigh on those players heavily. I was surprised how many stuck it out and got better at football. I spent some winter workshop times at Arizona St., and If he goes to ASU that Tempe winter weather is hard to beat. I surely didn’t want to leave there in February when the oranges were ripening. Long story short, we had hoped to snowbird after retiring, but with my lack of mobility we bought a desert home and moved permanently a year later. I can say, at least for us, it was 100% the correct decision. Best of luck TJ — enjoy playing again, stay safe, and come back for a Gold Rush game. 💙 💛 😺

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by RICO CAT » Tue May 03, 2022 8:17 pm

I’m glad he is looking out for his mental health. His exit will create an opportunity for someone else and hopefully, he will find his opportunity elsewhere.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue May 03, 2022 8:40 pm

The great circle of transfers. This comment was posted by a Craig S. as a comment to an article in The Athletic about NIL and the plight of the Arizona State football team which has lost a lot of feature players to transfer. Very interesting.
Craig S. 5:52 AM wrote: "A source familiar with the transfers said third-party reps from other schools have reached out to Arizona State players, often through social media, informing them what they could earn in NIL dollars should they transfer."

How is this even legal? It's well on its way to destroying college athletics.

"Arizona State right now feels like a feeder system, developing players for better-supported programs across the country."

Absolutely correct. Either find the money to compete or scratch ASU major sports.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Tue May 03, 2022 9:05 pm

I guess what stuck out most to me in his interview was the fact of all his "brothers in arms" were moving on. A lot of these guys, who came in as Choate recruits, have been here a while. I can see where maybe he feels alone, with all the seniors we are losing. While not a senior himself, he's been in Bozeman for several years and it may feel lonely with that many other guys moving on.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu May 05, 2022 8:40 am

CelticCat wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:02 am
I honestly wondered if the loss of some key senior leadership might have factored into some of their decisions:
"All the guys that transferred, I can try to speak for them, we all really looked up to those older guys: Troy Andersen, Lewis Kidd, Taylor Tuiasosopo, (Zach) Redd, Daniel Hardy, Amandre (Williams), all those guys, those were really our group. Everybody’s left."
I understand his point, but going to a new team would result in the same issue; he wouldn't know ANYONE there.

Also, being from the Midwest; if you think Bozeman is cold and dark, you sure the hell don't want to go to Michigan State! :no:

Either way, next man up for the Cats.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat May 07, 2022 4:11 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:05 pm
I guess what stuck out most to me in his interview was the fact of all his "brothers in arms" were moving on. A lot of these guys, who came in as Choate recruits, have been here a while. I can see where maybe he feels alone, with all the seniors we are losing. While not a senior himself, he's been in Bozeman for several years and it may feel lonely with that many other guys moving on.
He's been with his offensive line mates since they all got here the same year as well as several other position players from his recruiting class. Also, you can feel alone even if you are surrounded by your best friends 24/7. I feel for TJ here and Bozeman winters can be long during that spring semester...especially if you are going through an injury or pandemic!

As for the "non-recruitment prior to entering the portal" side of this, he can talk about the "leap of faith" stuff from his interview all day but offers from Power5 schools came through the door a day or two after entering the portal. That doesn't just happen without prior inklings from those schools that they want him. Same situation happened with Connor Wood last summer. TJ by no means was a freshman phenom either (solid player but still really struggles in pass pro as Brody and Ben handled him off the edge all Spring game) and these Power 5 schools still wanted to offer a full ride. It will be very hard to keep talent together for four years going forward and it will almost be paramount to bring in 4 freshman and 1/2 transfer lineman a year to combat attrition.

In my opinion, the real leap of faith TJ is taking here is hoping his mental health will improve in a familiar climate...and I truly hope it does. That gloominess feeling is a bastard and can be hard to shake. As far as him getting to play football at a higher division for a few more years, that path was laid out to him prior to entering the portal. I'm willing to be proven wrong too. Not any fault of TJ here either as why not take a shot at the highest level in college? Connor did it and he'll now likely be a starter for Mizzou his senior year. I'm mostly just bullish on this perceived "lack of recruitment from Power 5 programs" prior to entering the portal. Every other player from MSU who entered the portal got beat out and wanted a change of scenery except for TJ (notice how those players aren't getting Power5 offers). I mean at this point why not just have an open recruitment period for FCS players post spring semester and through summer? Then the stuff FBS schools are already doing can be out in the open.

Again just so it's clear, I root for players when they transfer from here as all of that loyalty stuff is way overblown and mostly just a fan creation. Cam Sutton went to Fresno State after Choate got here and ended up getting a NFL shot. Demonte King went to Arizona State and balled out.
What I don't root for is how phony the transfer portal is in terms of teams following the recruitment rules within it. I'm all for making it easier for the player to transfer (see my point on open recruitment) but just want the red tape that doesn't actually stop anything to go away.

Alright...take complete.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun May 08, 2022 11:20 am

TJ has committed to Cal. Best of luck to him!

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Sun May 08, 2022 11:55 am

It will be fun to watch him play there.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun May 08, 2022 12:06 pm

TJ has a tackle body but in a different scheme, he could make a decent guard...especially one that gets to be athletic in space. He is a plus run blocker already and I wish him the best!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun May 08, 2022 12:28 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:06 pm
TJ has a tackle body but in a different scheme, he could make a decent guard...especially one that gets to be athletic in space. He is a plus run blocker already and I wish him the best!
So would TJ have started for MSU for the next 3 years? Would he have started this year?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun May 08, 2022 12:44 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:28 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
So would TJ have started for MSU for the next 3 years? Would he have started this year?
Yes. Was the right tackle for the next three years. Was the only player who entered the portal for MSU who was the presumptive starter at his position next fall.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon May 09, 2022 10:50 am

gtapp wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Didn't he start at RT last season?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 09, 2022 10:53 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:50 am
gtapp wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Didn't he start at RT last season?
Every game up until his injury before halftime of the Idaho game.

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Mon May 09, 2022 2:45 pm

60 and sunny in GF.

Get to bozo and 30’s and snow

I feel ya TJ.

Best of luck.

Have a wonderful day!!

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon May 09, 2022 7:36 pm

Cal is a very good school. You can take the BART into SF. Way nicer weather than Bozeman. I wish you good health and luck TJ. And you'll need it. You're going to get your ass worked for three year by USC. Go Trojans!