TJ Session in portal.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: TJ Session in portal.

Post by Cataholic » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:58 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:35 pm
I'm a selfish fan but I really don't understand the transfer if he only goes to a non-competitive MW school or other group of 5 program. If he wants higher competition for better pro development but only moves up to a school like Hawaii? Not sure that translates to better options in the future compared to what he could develop into at MSU. Lewis Kidd is getting draft buzz because he performed well at MSU. Actually, really good FCS lineman are getting picked in round 2 annually now...with round 1 buzz.

Good luck to the kid if he ends up going the Connor Wood route (Power 5 transfer). But if it's lower tier FBS transfer, I just don't see how that increases his odds of getting into the NFL.

If the kid just wants a change of scenery, Hawaii would be a cool experience I would say that.
OL from Northern Iowa is expected to go in the first round this year. If you are good, they will find you. And the exposure MSU kids are getting this year is crazy.

Is Connor Wood getting any NFL looks? Would he have been better off staying and dominating at MSU?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:05 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
I'm a selfish fan but I really don't understand the transfer if he only goes to a non-competitive MW school or other group of 5 program. If he wants higher competition for better pro development but only moves up to a school like Hawaii? Not sure that translates to better options in the future compared to what he could develop into at MSU. Lewis Kidd is getting draft buzz because he performed well at MSU. Actually, really good FCS lineman are getting picked in round 2 annually now...with round 1 buzz.

Good luck to the kid if he ends up going the Connor Wood route (Power 5 transfer). But if it's lower tier FBS transfer, I just don't see how that increases his odds of getting into the NFL.

If the kid just wants a change of scenery, Hawaii would be a cool experience I would say that.
Is better pro development the goal? I'd guess that for most portal entries it's either a) take a lateral move or a step down to get a better chance for starting/playing time because you aren't cutting it on your current team or b) leverage a good season or two into getting to experience an FBS program.

Even for the guys that move up for pro development I wonder if it makes any difference (either they would have made it anyway or they wouldn't regardless of what team they were on).

For TJ's sake I hope he gets a better offer than that dumpster fire with a beach view.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:10 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:58 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

OL from Northern Iowa is expected to go in the first round this year. If you are good, they will find you. And the exposure MSU kids are getting this year is crazy.

Is Connor Wood getting any NFL looks? Would he have been better off staying and dominating at MSU?
Yes

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:55 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:21 pm
gtapp wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:16 pm
That's 4 of 5 starters from last years team on the O-Line. Not sure how we recover from this. Maybe by 2023 but a bunch of guys with no experience and unproven will be tough to overcome.
Justus Perkins and Cole Sain have plenty of experience. Rush basically had the equivalent experience to TJ and I truly believe he will be a solid LT in the fall. I liked what I saw out of Marcus Wehr and JT Reed in the spring game. We definitely will struggle in drop back situations where we have to protect but our top 2 QBs are excellent runners so that helps. The current group definitely doesn't struggle run blocking I can tell you that much.

Denarius' junior season we started freshman and sophomores and ended up being one of the better teams in the FCS. Let the kids grow into their roles and see what you get come fall.
From what I’ve grown to understand and seen, OL play is just as much about continuity of the unit as it is experience in games. You need a) good players and b) development (reps) as a group.

For instance, if you have 4 of 5 returning starters and cruise into the season in tact from spring ball through preseason camp, but then lose the new guy and another starter just before the season or in the first couple games you’re in worse shape than you would be with only one or no returning starters but you cruise into the season and suffer no losses or spread a couple losses out throughout the year.

MSU double reps it’s practices. There are two full units practicing at all times. All the players get a lot of reps to apply the talent and skills toward.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:33 am

Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

Connor wanted to play SEC ball while getting a grad school scholarship for two years. Hard to argue with that transfer.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:15 am

Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I believe Connor played, but didn’t start at Missouri. Sounds like he’ll start this year.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:53 am

I think it's interesting that MSU had 20 NFL teams represented at Pro Day and yet, some of these kids think a mediocre G5 school is going to get them more exposure. It's a possibility, but I think the FCS in general is getting more exposure, especially with the ESPN+ deal and increase impressions on social media.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:53 am
I think it's interesting that MSU had 20 NFL teams represented at Pro Day and yet, some of these kids think a mediocre G5 school is going to get them more exposure. It's a possibility, but I think the FCS in general is getting more exposure, especially with the ESPN+ deal and increase impressions on social media.
MSU had 20 pro scouts because one of the greatest players in program history (and is a physical freak with intelligence) happened to be from a small town in Montana and didn’t get the FBS offers he would received had he played at a larger school and was in the summer camp circuit.

Let’s not pretend that 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. That’s an unrealistic expectation.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:30 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:15 am
Cataholic wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I believe Connor played, but didn’t start at Missouri. Sounds like he’ll start this year.
He started at right guard the last 5 or 6 games of the year. He was barried on the depth chart at tackle but they must have seen something to move him to starter at guard.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:16 am

Well, that stinks. I recently read an article regarding FBS players in the transfer portal and only about 54% received a scholarship to play at another school. It’s not always a greener pasture.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:26 am

PapaG wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:28 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:53 am
MSU had 20 pro scouts because one of the greatest players in program history (and is a physical freak with intelligence) happened to be from a small town in Montana and didn’t get the FBS offers he would received had he played at a larger school and was in the summer camp circuit.

Let’s not pretend that 20 teams will be represented every year in Bozeman. That’s an unrealistic expectation.
I doubt we get over a dozen scouts again until Tommy's career is complete. Even Ifanse is unlikely to pull in more than that.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:16 am

VimSince03 wrote:

The scenery might be nice but it remains to be seen on the football side. That program was an absolute dumpster fire last year with Todd Graham ultimately resigning.

I think Sam posted a stat that only something like 36% of FCS players in the portal end up getting offers elsewhere. There are over 1300 players currently in the portal. I don't believe for a minute that Sessions is one of those that doesn't get picked up but there needs to be some sort of "Are you sure" training or education to these kids. Grass is rarely greener.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:17 am

I’d imagine this will become more common with OL. Even the larger programs can struggle to find good OL, and there’s a lot of late bloomers. MSU does a fantastic job of finding and developing OL. We’re in better shape that a lot of G5 schools in that regard.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:19 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:16 am
VimSince03 wrote:

The scenery might be nice but it remains to be seen on the football side. That program was an absolute dumpster fire last year with Todd Graham ultimately resigning.

I think Sam posted a stat that only something like 36% of FCS players in the portal end up getting offers elsewhere. There are over 1300 players currently in the portal. I don't believe for a minute that Sessions is one of those that doesn't get picked up but there needs to be some sort of "Are you sure" training or education to these kids. Grass is rarely greener.
This is something we’ll have to get used to, that even Charles Brown was a highly touted FCS recruit. We’re one of the top dogs at the moment, so there’s a lot of schools that will take the scholarship players we have that aren’t cracking the depth chart. Even Cole Snyder is getting offers and he never touched the field. Just like how a lot of teams would be happy with NDSU’s depth players as starters.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:24 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:15 pm
CatBlitz wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:10 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:55 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:52 pm
So to me this indicates he has a FBS offer.
South Alabama.
:thumbdown:
Yep, never understood "moving up" to a crappy G5 conference. Especially because USA is a long way from California. Just about as far away as Montana is from California.

See what I did there? :lol:
Using your 1 transfer portal opportunity to go to a middle of the pack G5 team seems like a lateral move from MSU. If you are going to Cincinnati, UCF or BYU I could understand the move in respect to 'exposure', but Hawaii or South Alabama would be a head scratcher. I guess if you haven't developed strong connections to the community and team it doesn't matter, but I would have thought Sessions was a leader on the OL if not the team.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:29 am

There are a myriad of reasons why Session might have decided to transfer, and most of them have absolutely nothing to do with NFL exposure. I think it's very easy to overanalyze this, and from a highly biased perspective no less. For all we know it's as simple as that he just hates the winters in Montana and wants to be somewhere warmer. Hopefully his change of scenery works out for him!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 am

MSU01 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:29 am
There are a myriad of reasons why Session might have decided to transfer, and most of them have absolutely nothing to do with NFL exposure. I think it's very easy to overanalyze this, and from a highly biased perspective no less. For all we know it's as simple as that he just hates the winters in Montana and wants to be somewhere warmer. Hopefully his change of scenery works out for him!
Excellent post.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:45 am
MSU01 wrote:
Excellent post.
Selfishly I want him to be a starting offensive lineman for MSU. What TJ decides to do with his remaining college years and football career is 100% none of my business. Best of luck to him!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:55 am

I don’t know that it’s happening in TJ’s case, but I’m sure we’ll see high profile FCS players leave for NIL deals from FBS programs. That scene is bonkers right now.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:59 am

MSU01 wrote:
Most of the time we aren't going to know the reason a kid wants to transfer, and I'm of the belief we are not entitled to know either. If they share, great, but their reasons are theirs and theirs alone if they so choose. I'm as curious as anyone about why a guy like TJ would transfer who was likely looking at starting for the next 3 years for MSU but he has his reasons.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast