TJ Session in portal.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: TJ Session in portal.

Post by CatBot » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:45 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:07 pm
HelenaCat95 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:38 pm
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:37 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:55 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:37 am
Just remember. We have a starting center, the rest is TBD, and our O-line will still be better than the gris.
I second this. Rush Reimer is going to be a good left tackle next year everyone. Solid play can be found on the interior between JT Reed, Marcus Wehr (blew me away how good he looked in the spring game), Cole Sain, and Joe McElroy. If Jacob Kettels is healthy by the fall, he is 100% a plug and play right tackle.
All true statements, but.... we can't lose guys like this and compete with NDSU. In order to compete with NDSU we need to find a way to keep these guys. I have been looking for a while but can't find any significant transfers from the NDSU Program. Have any significant contributors at NDSU left for a bigger program? Honest question, I really can't remember one.
Jabril Cox - LSU
Trey Lance left way early for a bigger program. San Francisco 49ers.
Very good point. That's almost as good as leaving for the gris. Both of those teams have a chance to win the super bowl every year.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Since this is where the transfer portal discourse seems to be happening, I'll leave my "old man yells at the clouds" comment. While there is a sh!t show going on with NIL side of things (Doesn't necessarily effect us as much right now, but don't let the door hit you on the way out Emmert). I don't have an issue with student athletes utilizing the portal more. Montana State has done a phenomenal job of bringing in top end FCS talent, and as we all saw coaches can split in the blink of an eye. The spectacle of college sports and "amateurism" is long gone in my mind. University systems make plenty of money on student athletes and regardless of their scholarship status, they deserve the right to change their mind on what school they attend and play for, just like any other student at Montana State.

It certainly is disheartening (not here, I'd say I largely see it on other socials) that players of any school are talked down upon solely based on making a decision for themselves, and being in a position where they must publicize it for the sake of finding a new landing spot. In my mind, the transfer portal is not "out of control", rather we're seeing a successful shift in student athlete empowerment that has been upcoming for the past decade, and this is likely the new reality.

Hope you enjoyed my TED talk. :lol:

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:13 pm

If Session can play in the PAC-12, then good for him. I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same thing if I were him. Play near home in a major conference? Hard to turn that down.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:03 am

As a dad with two current college athletes (not football), there is no reasonable way to look down on any kid looking to change schools. There are a multitude of reasons to transfer that will set these kids on a better path to success in life, far beyond athletics. Mental health was discussed heavily when McKay left. That doesn’t mean alleviating mental illness, but rather optimizing mental health. There is proximity to home. Trust me, as a parent it becomes a much bigger deal than you’d ever think when you don’t have the ability to support your kids in person, or even see them on tv/streaming. There are also legitimate academic reasons. And then, yes, there are athletic-driven reasons too. But there is one common thread to every single transfer out there, 18-24 year old kids looking for a better path for their lives. Some prove to be good decisions, some don’t. It’s just a microcosm of the real world they are prepping themselves for. It’s just too bad that a lot of people can’t see the human behind the athlete.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:39 am

tdub wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:03 am
As a dad with two current college athletes (not football), there is no reasonable way to look down on any kid looking to change schools. There are a multitude of reasons to transfer that will set these kids on a better path to success in life, far beyond athletics. Mental health was discussed heavily when McKay left. That doesn’t mean alleviating mental illness, but rather optimizing mental health. There is proximity to home. Trust me, as a parent it becomes a much bigger deal than you’d ever think when you don’t have the ability to support your kids in person, or even see them on tv/streaming. There are also legitimate academic reasons. And then, yes, there are athletic-driven reasons too. But there is one common thread to every single transfer out there, 18-24 year old kids looking for a better path for their lives. Some prove to be good decisions, some don’t. It’s just a microcosm of the real world they are prepping themselves for. It’s just too bad that a lot of people can’t see the human behind the athlete.
Great post!

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:01 am

I doubt we get over a dozen scouts again until Tommy's career is complete. Even Ifanse is unlikely to pull in more than that.
[/quote]

Although he is among the best at the FCS level I don't see Ifanse in the NFL. Not enough size. Not enough speed.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:27 am

tdub wrote:
=D^

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:37 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:01 am
I doubt we get over a dozen scouts again until Tommy's career is complete. Even Ifanse is unlikely to pull in more than that.
Although he is among the best at the FCS level I don't see Ifanse in the NFL. Not enough size. Not enough speed.
[/quote]

This is getting us off topic but what??? He's the same size as a lot of backs in the NFL. Add 10 pounds and he'd be right on par with a lot more. He's the same size as Aaron Jones, who seems to be pretty good. He's the same size at Pierre Strong Jr. who's being projected as a 4th round pick. He may not run a 4.4 - 4.5 but he isn't slow.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:00 am

tdub wrote:
Excellent post.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:06 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:37 am
84CatGrad wrote:
This is getting us off topic but what??? He's the same size as a lot of backs in the NFL. Add 10 pounds and he'd be right on par with a lot more. He's the same size as Aaron Jones, who seems to be pretty good. He's the same size at Pierre Strong Jr. who's being projected as a 4th round pick. He may not run a 4.4 - 4.5 but he isn't slow.
[/quote]

What he lacks there he makes up for in his ability to break tackles and be tackled. I’m not sure what scouts will make of him simply because there are so few running backs like him. Barring injury someone will give him a shot and if he can still do in training camp against NFL players what he does vs FCS players, then he could make it.

But, yes, this is TJ’s thread.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:09 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
[/quote]

By NFL standards he’s undersized and not fleet of foot. I think he’ll get a chance because he’s been so productive, but it’s a small chance.

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:29 am

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:05 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:49 pm
These have to be walk-on offers right? Even so, they may help get scholarship offers from more G5 schools.
I would guess this all has to do with NIL collective. $$$

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:09 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
By NFL standards he’s undersized and not fleet of foot. I think he’ll get a chance because he’s been so productive, but it’s a small chance.
[/quote]

He is about the same size and speed as David Montgomery who was a 3rd round pick for the Bears. Very similar running style, can be shifty in the hole and rarely taken down by the first guy that makes contact. Montgomery has excellent hands and as of yet, we haven't seen Ifanse catch the ball a bunch. If his knee is healthy, he should get a shot to play on Sundays if he wants.

-Elias P. Harmon-

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:04 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:09 am

I think we're going to see a lot more of this. OL is a position that takes time to develop just because few players are big and strong enough right out of high school. Bigger programs will give a guy 2-3 years to bulk up (and see if they have the right mentality) and offer them more money than the FCS schools can give. Hopefully, like other positions, these spots will be back-filled by guys moving down that couldn't quite hack it in the bigger programs.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:20 am

profisme wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:09 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:
He is about the same size and speed as David Montgomery who was a 3rd round pick for the Bears. Very similar running style, can be shifty in the hole and rarely taken down by the first guy that makes contact. Montgomery has excellent hands and as of yet, we haven't seen Ifanse catch the ball a bunch. If his knee is healthy, he should get a shot to play on Sundays if he wants.
[/quote]

Montgomery is about 20 lbs heavier. I agree the knee will be a big factor.

bobcatozzy

Post by bobcatozzy » Mon May 02, 2022 7:16 pm

Rest In peace dad.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Mon May 02, 2022 7:22 pm

406 MT Sports has a Q&A with TJ where he explains his decision a bit more in depth. Can't get the link to copy. Anyway, wishing all the best to him and hope he can find a place that meets his needs but also where he can have great success meeting theirs!

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Mon May 02, 2022 7:22 pm

Oh, well there it is 😊

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon May 02, 2022 7:26 pm

Like the last sentence. No, LOVE the last sentence.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.