Pinch Me

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Pinch Me

Post by bob12 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:01 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:35 am
I was thinking about this amazing run for bobcat athletics. I wonder if it just happened to be a perfect storm and it will be a generation before we see a year like this again, or is the dept so strong that this will become a regular occurrence?

If the second part is true, what is/was the turning point? Leon sure has his fingerprint on a lot of this success.
All roads lead to Waded. Without her maybe we see the great influx in undergrad enrollment, monetary donations the likes that we have never seen before, and the steps forward in athletics that we are all reveling in currently; but I doubt it. Yeah, Leon is also a great addition to the University, but he is a by-product of President Cruzado as well. Most thanks and admiration should go to her "vision" and execution. Remembering former administrators, I am very happy to not have them around currently.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:03 am

wbtfg wrote:
I was thinking about this amazing run for bobcat athletics. I wonder if it just happened to be a perfect storm and it will be a generation before we see a year like this again, or is the dept so strong that this will become a regular occurrence?

If the second part is true, what is/was the turning point? Leon sure has his fingerprint on a lot of this success.
I think we can expect continued success as long as MSU can keep the people in place that it currently has. President Cruzado and Coach Binford look to be pretty entrenched in Bozeman at this point but it seems like it could be only a matter of time before Costello and Sprinkle are lured away by bigger schools with much deeper pockets than MSU. The big question with football is if Coach Vigen and staff can recruit as well as Coach Choate did to keep their success going.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:32 am

bob12 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:01 am
wbtfg wrote:

All roads lead to Waded. Without her maybe we see the great influx in undergrad enrollment, monetary donations the likes that we have never seen before, and the steps forward in athletics that we are all reveling in currently; but I doubt it. Yeah, Leon is also a great addition to the University, but he is a by-product of President Cruzado as well. Most thanks and admiration should go to her "vision" and execution. Remembering former administrators, I am very happy to not have them around currently.
I agree it all starts with Waded, no doubt about it. That said she's been president for 12 years. And while the university as a whole has been on an upward trend for her entire tenure, I feel like athletics really has taken a big step forward over the past 2-3 years.

I think moving from Peter Fields to Leon Costello is a massive upgrade that cannot be understated. Leon has really been able to galvanize the department, and it sure seems like all the programs are working together and helping/supporting each other. No doubt hiring Choate and Danny have been huge for each of the programs. And a massive credit to Vigen and his staff for stepping right in and taking the football program to the next level.

Additionally throughout football, and men's/women's basketball, especially down the stretch runs, I felt like we were the most fit, well conditioned teams. So a huge credit also goes to Sean Herrin and the S&C staff. Huge credit to the nutritionist and the nutrition program. And obviously to all of the supporters who were able to provide funding for all of these amazing recourses to give us that competitive advantage.

It's a great time to be a Bobcat!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:48 am

Yeah its amazing what happens when the administration is interested in improving and not just maintaining. I think we are seeing what MSU should be given our many advantages. I've been asking for 20 years why teams like EWU and UNC can thrive in marquis sports given the lack of support. Why can UM do it right over the hill? No we just need to keep building and not get complacent. Great time to be a Cat!!!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:36 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:32 am
bob12 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I agree it all starts with Waded, no doubt about it. That said she's been president for 12 years. And while the university as a whole has been on an upward trend for her entire tenure, I feel like athletics really has taken a big step forward over the past 2-3 years.

I think moving from Peter Fields to Leon Costello is a massive upgrade that cannot be understated. Leon has really been able to galvanize the department, and it sure seems like all the programs are working together and helping/supporting each other. No doubt hiring Choate and Danny have been huge for each of the programs. And a massive credit to Vigen and his staff for stepping right in and taking the football program to the next level.

Additionally throughout football, and men's/women's basketball, especially down the stretch runs, I felt like we were the most fit, well conditioned teams. So a huge credit also goes to Sean Herrin and the S&C staff. Huge credit to the nutritionist and the nutrition program. And obviously to all of the supporters who were able to provide funding for all of these amazing recourses to give us that competitive advantage.

I agree with this. Waded has been great for the university but people often are too eager to fall all over themselves giving her credit for every good thing that happens at MSU. She gets credit for hiring Leon but she's not the one running the athletics department every day, he is. The overall growth of the university (in size and stature) has definitely benefited athletics (and vice versa) but it seems like that department is just much more focused and well run than it has been in the past. It feels like every sport is on the rise too, not just football or basketball!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:28 pm

wbtfg wrote:

They may not do it again, but there won't be the precipitous drop offs that you've seen in the past. Next year's teams are all contenders. They may not finish 2-1-1 in the BSC again, but there's no reason (barring a plethora of injuries) to think that at least one of them won't win a regular season title and/or a tourney title. In year's past there have been teams win the league but fall to the middle of the pack the next season or two seasons later.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 pm

The Bobcat domination continues with tonight's Jeopardy champion. She currently resides in North Carolina but work at Montana State in the library for many years.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:45 pm

vike_king wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 pm
The Bobcat domination continues with tonight's Jeopardy champion. She currently resides in North Carolina but work at Montana State in the library for many years.
That’s funny. I heard her say Gallatin roller derby but rewound it and she didn’t say she was from Montana so I assumed it was another “Gallatin”!

That’s awesome. =D^

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:24 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:45 pm
vike_king wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:35 pm
That’s funny. I heard her say Gallatin roller derby but rewound it and she didn’t say she was from Montana so I assumed it was another “Gallatin”!

That’s awesome. =D^
I heard the same thing so I found the Jeopardy website that had her biography.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:14 am

I'm curious how donations have increased to the athletic department since Costello came. I would guess there's a significant uptick in contributions to the Bobcat Club, QB Club etc, on top of increased ticket sales and donors writing checks to the facilities plan. It seems success on the field success leads to more contributions, which leads to more success on the field, which leads to more contributions....and on and on.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:06 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:14 am
I'm curious how donations have increased to the athletic department since Costello came. I would guess there's a significant uptick in contributions to the Bobcat Club, QB Club etc, on top of increased ticket sales and donors writing checks to the facilities plan. It seems success on the field success leads to more contributions, which leads to more success on the field, which leads to more contributions....and on and on.
I asked this in another thread but it didnt receive any replies, has anyone heard anything about the new videoboard that has been rumored to be installed before the 2022 season?

Hating the griz since 02.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:22 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:28 pm
wbtfg wrote:

They may not do it again, but there won't be the precipitous drop offs that you've seen in the past. Next year's teams are all contenders. They may not finish 2-1-1 in the BSC again, but there's no reason (barring a plethora of injuries) to think that at least one of them won't win a regular season title and/or a tourney title. In year's past there have been teams win the league but fall to the middle of the pack the next season or two seasons later.
Agree. I think there's a decent chance the football team makes it back to Frisco this next season. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:49 am

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:06 am
Catfanatic84 wrote:

I asked this in another thread but it didnt receive any replies, has anyone heard anything about the new videoboard that has been rumored to be installed before the 2022 season?
I thought I saw something earlier on BN that we get an upgrade this year on the video board.
If so perhaps the existing one can somehow replace the south end zone scoreboard?

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:12 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
:lol: :lol:
Right after someone mentions that MSU has a contestant on Jeopardy, you bring up donations! Subliminal.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:09 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:36 am
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:32 am
bob12 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I agree with this. Waded has been great for the university but people often are too eager to fall all over themselves giving her credit for every good thing that happens at MSU. She gets credit for hiring Leon but she's not the one running the athletics department every day, he is. The overall growth of the university (in size and stature) has definitely benefited athletics (and vice versa) but it seems like that department is just much more focused and well run than it has been in the past. It feels like every sport is on the rise too, not just football or basketball!
It is the whole TEAM that is making MSU great! Attendance, athletics, grants, donations, local community and State support. Montana State University is the unquestioned flagship University in the Northern Rockies region. It is indeed a great time to be a Bobcat! =D^

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:06 am

Received an email from the Bobcat Club celebrating the "Year of the Bobcat". Quite a list of accomplishments, both athletically and academically. It ended with an appeal to consider a gift to the Bobcat Club. Is this the best place to donate? Or should it be to the facilities plan or 6th man club, QB club etc? I don't have a lot to give, but want to make it as effective as possible.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:05 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:06 am
Received an email from the Bobcat Club celebrating the "Year of the Bobcat". Quite a list of accomplishments, both athletically and academically. It ended with an appeal to consider a gift to the Bobcat Club. Is this the best place to donate? Or should it be to the facilities plan or 6th man club, QB club etc? I don't have a lot to give, but want to make it as effective as possible.
Pick what’s best for you and what you are most passionate about. Bobcat Club does benefit all scholarship sports.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:46 am

I think Im going to try and make mini banners for my office. Id be awesome of the Bookstore could put something together. Basically replicate the Fieldhouse but a bit more consolidated and obviously much smaller.

Hating the griz since 02.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:02 pm

Even got recognized in the Wall Street Journal in Friday paper. I was working the WSJ crossword puzzle on Friday and the clue for #3 down was “Montana State Athlete”. Now I will tell you I am NOT a crossword aficionado…….but I got that one right!!

Alright alright…..so maybe that wasn’t a “Pinch Me” worthy item….but fun to see!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:39 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:02 pm
Even got recognized in the Wall Street Journal in Friday paper. I was working the WSJ crossword puzzle on Friday and the clue for #3 down was “Montana State Athlete”. Now I will tell you I am NOT a crossword aficionado…….but I got that one right!!

Alright alright…..so maybe that wasn’t a “Pinch Me” worthy item….but fun to see!
At first, I was going for an individual athlete (Andersen doesn't fit) and then my brain cells kicked in.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter