Spring Ball 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: Spring Ball 2022

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:08 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:16 am
As an FYI....espn+ will carry the spring game. Good news for those of us who live outside the SWX coverage area.
I looked at ESPN+ today and I didn't see it listed on Saturday. Can anyone confirm where it will be shown outside of the SWX coverage area?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:13 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:08 pm
Catfanatic84 wrote:
As an FYI....espn+ will carry the spring game. Good news for those of us who live outside the SWX coverage area.
I looked at ESPN+ today and I didn't see it listed on Saturday. Can anyone confirm where it will be shown outside of the SWX coverage area?
I see it on my app when I search for Montana State in the upcoming section.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:27 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:13 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Ok thank you! I found it. Don't want to miss it!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:55 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:27 pm
CelticCat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Ahh the spring game. Where fans think the future at quarterback should play safety and the guys they think are qb1 and qb2 both end up in the transfer portal. ✋ (1/3) 👊🏿🤣

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:35 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:55 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:27 pm
CelticCat wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:
Ahh the spring game. Where fans think the future at quarterback should play safety and the guys they think are qb1 and qb2 both end up in the transfer portal. ✋ (1/3) 👊🏿🤣
Sorry tomcat, that is the reality this year of the pink game west of us. Their fans are usually delusional but this year there are scared they don't have an online and expect to start 3 or 4 redshift freshmen on oline. And they only are expecting to beat MSU by 10 points instead of the normal expectation of 77.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:35 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Awesome! Thanks for mentioning this. 😀

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:44 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:53 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:21 pm

I’m going to make it to the spring game. What can I expect? Lots of backups is my assumption.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:08 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:21 pm
I’m going to make it to the spring game. What can I expect? Lots of backups is my assumption.
It feels more like a practice than a game but I still enjoy it.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:43 am

94VegasCat wrote:
To get wet and possibly snowed on. Love springtime in MT.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:47 am

kmax wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:43 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Don't forget sunburned and windy.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:47 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:47 am
kmax wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:43 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Don't forget sunburned and windy.
And hopefully a good buzz!

AZBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by AZBobcat » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:14 pm

Coming from AZ for Spring game. Talk to me on what we should bring for warmth. Thanks

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm

AZBobcat wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:14 pm
Coming from AZ for Spring game. Talk to me on what we should bring for warmth. Thanks
A high of 44 with snow turning to rain is expected, so dress accordingly.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:38 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm
AZBobcat wrote:
Queue the passing stat haters bringing up the poor passing stats from the game without any mention of the conditions...

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:12 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:33 pm
AZBobcat wrote:
Queue the passing stat haters bringing up the poor passing stats from the game without any mention of the conditions...
I believe they call those people Gris fans.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:22 pm

Keep in mind, my players to watch are just players I want to see compete as I've heard good things about them this spring. Even though we've seen some of these players play already for MSU (Thomas, Hosey, the receivers), they need to continue to show where they fit in with this new coaching staff one year in. I didn't list the QB position because its basically a question of who will be the #3 (Reed or Austin). Also didn't list the safeties or tight ends because those groups are basically set.

My Top 5 questions going into Sonny Holland Spring Game:

1) Who will not only make up our starting oline but two-deep?

Armstrong likes to have 8-9 guys ready to play on the offensive line during the year. We said goodbye to three multi-year starters last year. Players with experience starting experience returning are Justus Perkins, Cole Sain, TJ Session, Rush Reimer, and Joe McElroy. Players who have a legitimate chance of pushing for starting jobs are Jacob Kettels, JT Reed, Holden Sampson, Cole Snyder, Jack Harlow, and Marcus Wehr (yes Marcus has added good weight and is competing well at guard this spring). Players still on the outside looking in are Titan Fleischmann, Aaron Richards, Trey Yates (converted from DT) and Conor Reitler. My estimation is that two or three of these players (maybe more) are on the roster bubble since we have five-seven true freshman offensive lineman coming to fall camp in 2022. Commonly we carry about 18-20 offensive lineman on the roster.

Players to watch in the Spring Game: JT Reed, Jacob Kettels, and Marcus Wehr (these three are pushing the hardest for starting spots or to finalize their spot in the 8-deep)

2) Who's going to join the "above the line" threshold on the defensive line?

Vigen and Banks stated last year they only play players that meet the "above the line" threshold based on their standards for play. Mostly means they just don't play 10 players because they have a 10-player max they lock in every year. If they only have 8, they'll play 8. In 2022, the following defensive line rotation has these players from last year: Brody Grebe (DE), Sebastian Valdez (DT), Blake Hehl (DT), Blake Schmidt (DT), Ben Seymour (DE), and David Alston (DE). Players who have played snaps in the past but were injured in 2021: Kyle Rygg (DT) and Tyson Regimbal (DE/DT). They'll also add Kadren Johnson as a DE/DT so that leaves us with 9 and the coaches like 10. Young guys who I think are still on the outside looking in: Zach Black (DT), Aaron Gerle (DT), and Luke Fedyk (DE).

Players to watch in the Spring Game: Paul Brott (DT), Kenneth Eiden IV (DE), and Hunter Parsons (DE) (was told to watch for Parsons on Saturday)

3) Who will fill out the outside receiver depth?

Newcomer Ravi Alston (Z) has been awesome so far this spring and looks to be a smooth transition from Lance McCutcheon. Jaden Smith (X) has continued to progress so these two look to be the starting outside receivers. The contenders for the two deep at Z and X are as follows: Cam Gardner, Andrew Patterson, Charles Brown, Jamahd Monroe, and Aidan Garrigan. The slot cats are basically set with Willie P. and Coy Steel so I didn't include that position. Also, didn't include Tanner Trafton (injury recovery), Noah Smith (freshman), and Tayvian Williams (competition).

Players to watch in the Spring Game: Andrew Patterson, Charles Brown, and Aidan Garrigan (don't sleep on Garrigan I've been told)

4) Will the real Demarius Hosey please stand up?

Going from the #3 back as a true freshman in 2019 to a rarely used depth piece in 2021, I'm curious to see how Hosey runs the ball in the spring game. Once again, he isn't the #3 back as Lane Sumner has gotten the #1 carries this spring as Isaiah and Elijah recover from injuries. Garrett Coon has pushed for reps as well but the coaches are challenging Hosey to beat out guys like Sumner and even Elliot. With the addition of Williams and if Ifanse recovers this fall, it may look like Hosey is the #5 back again if he doesn't beat out Lane this spring. Also throw in the fact they aren't afraid to use Jaharie as a running back as well in situations.

Players to watch in the Spring Game: Demarius Hosey and Garrett Coon (we know what we have in Lane and we thought we knew what we had in Hosey so I'm intrigued to watch Hosey and Coon compete on Saturday)

5) Who makes up the depth chart at outside corner?

We are basically set at nickel as Ty Okada and Rylan Ortt have shown they can compete at the highest stage at the position (Ortt was fantastic against SDSU). Can pencil in Simeon Woodard at one of the corner spots but who lines up on the opposite side now that Zambrano has moved back to safety presumably to start alongside Jeffrey Manning? Tyrel Thomas is an obvious answer but Air Force transfer Dru Polidore, 2021 starter James Campbell, and up-&-comer Miles Jackson all are pushing for time. Level Price Jr. can also fill in on the outside. Younger players like Devin Davis and Jackson Harmon are still developing. Highly touted recruit Takhari Carr will also join the squad this fall but this is as talented/deep we've been at the corner position for some time.

Players to watch in the Spring Game: Dru Polidore, Miles Jackson, and Tyrel Thomas (Polidore has looked great this spring, Jackson was a star of last year's spring game, and it will be nice to see Tyrel back on the gridiron again)

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:30 pm

Trey Yates was moved to the oline? That’s interesting.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:30 pm
Trey Yates was moved to the oline? That’s interesting.
Competing at center this spring. Now #51.