Spring Ball 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Spring Ball 2022

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:46 am

Spring ball schedule is out. It includes a Pro Day on April 4th.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball 2022

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:13 am

That was fast. I guess playing into January is why.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:34 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:13 am
It can’t get here fast enough! We need things to discuss!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:52 am

ND0479 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:34 am
TomCat88 wrote:
I see the pro day and Spring game are open to the public. Does anyone know if the practices are open to the public as well? I loved getting reports from each practice like we used to, but spring ball has gotten kind of boring once they closed practices and no one knew what was going on.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:28 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:52 am
ND0479 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I see the pro day and Spring game are open to the public. Does anyone know if the practices are open to the public as well? I loved getting reports from each practice like we used to, but spring ball has gotten kind of boring once they closed practices and no one knew what was going on.
Here’s my pre-spring report: I’m not sure if MSU is as good as it was rolling into the national championship game, but they’re definitely better than they were going into spring ball and better than they were during the regular season.

Check back for updates.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:24 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:28 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Here’s my pre-spring report: I’m not sure if MSU is as good as it was rolling into the national championship game, but they’re definitely better than they were going into spring ball and better than they were during the regular season.

Check back for updates.
The thing that really gives me hope for next year is that our offense will be better, more dynamic. Our offense under McKay was just good enough most of the year and bad at the end. The defense carried the team a lot, but they won't have to next year as much I hope, which is good because I struggle to see how we don't take a step back defensively. So an improved offense should more than offset any regression on the defensive side of the ball.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:44 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:24 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Check back for updates.
The thing that really gives me hope for next year is that our offense will be better, more dynamic. Our offense under McKay was just good enough most of the year and bad at the end. The defense carried the team a lot, but they won't have to next year as much I hope, which is good because I struggle to see how we don't take a step back defensively. So an improved offense should more than offset any regression on the defensive side of the ball.
I am optimistic for 2022. I have 2 concerns: O-Line (lost 3 best starters) and D-Tackle (we do not have the size or depth currently).

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:04 am

Any of you fortunate enough to be able to attend the not open to the public practices?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:11 am

gtapp wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:44 pm
CelticCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Check back for updates.
I am optimistic for 2022. I have 2 concerns: O-Line (lost 3 best starters) and D-Tackle (we do not have the size or depth currently).
I share your concerns about the O-Line. I believe we have the talent to put it together but I'm still fairly certain they are looking for a drop-down to complete/start at one of the tackle spots. If not, it will be a battle between starters from last year in TJ Session & Rush Reimer and talented but oft-injured redshirt freshman Jacob Kettels. The 2021 transfer from Canada, Cole Snyder, also will factor into that mix. At guard, we return Justus Perkins at center for sure as well as Cole Sain at one of the guard spots. Joe McElroy received a start against Eastern at RG last year. Younger players such as Holden Sampson, JT Reed, and Jack Harlow will compete as well. Kettels could also factor into a guard spot too. Regardless, we are going to be VERY young on the offensive line all of a sudden.

As for D-Tackle, it was obvious what hurt us the most against NDSU in...every game we've played against them these past four years. The absence of Chase Benson was noticeable in the title game as the Bison Oline damaged our defensive front all game. Sebastian Valdez, Blake Hehl, and Blake Schmidt received the most playing time last year and earned valuable experience in the playoffs. It appears Kyle Rygg is going to give it a go one more time which really helps. Redshirt freshman Paul Brott will be that much bigger next year and I'm projecting him as the 5th interior lineman in the rotation. I agree with your depth worry as I'm not sure Paul Brott is ready but I disagree with the size issue. Why? NDSU's defensive line averages about 280 and that isn't abnormal for them. They rotate a lot of guys and play with incredible technique and discipline. Sure we all wish everyone was Jordan Davis from Georgia (350 lbs. who runs a 4.8 40) but that just doesn't happen often at the FCS level. Schmidt and Rygg are already over 280 with Hehl hovering around that number and Valdez will be close entering his 3rd year in the program now that he's established himself as an interior lineman. Brott has really added the weight as well this past year. Mostly just need to keep getting stronger and better and I 100% know they have been looking to add 1 more body to compete.

My biggest concern is 100% the offensive line right now. A lot of question marks and young men needing more strength development. Will they get their before next fall? Maybe but it will be the first year we won't have a for sure All-Big Sky player up-front in a long while.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:13 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:11 am
gtapp wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Check back for updates.
I share your concerns about the O-Line. I believe we have the talent to put it together but I'm still fairly certain they are looking for a drop-down to complete/start at one of the tackle spots. If not, it will be a battle between starters from last year in TJ Session & Rush Reimer and talented but oft-injured redshirt freshman Jacob Kettels. The 2021 transfer from Canada, Cole Snyder, also will factor into that mix. At guard, we return Justus Perkins at center for sure as well as Cole Sain at one of the guard spots. Joe McElroy received a start against Eastern at RG last year. Younger players such as Holden Sampson, JT Reed, and Jack Harlow will compete as well. Kettels could also factor into a guard spot too. Regardless, we are going to be VERY young on the offensive line all of a sudden.

As for D-Tackle, it was obvious what hurt us the most against NDSU in...every game we've played against them these past four years. The absence of Chase Benson was noticeable in the title game as the Bison Oline damaged our defensive front all game. Sebastian Valdez, Blake Hehl, and Blake Schmidt received the most playing time last year and earned valuable experience in the playoffs. It appears Kyle Rygg is going to give it a go one more time which really helps. Redshirt freshman Paul Brott will be that much bigger next year and I'm projecting him as the 5th interior lineman in the rotation. I agree with your depth worry as I'm not sure Paul Brott is ready but I disagree with the size issue. Why? NDSU's defensive line averages about 280 and that isn't abnormal for them. They rotate a lot of guys and play with incredible technique and discipline. Sure we all wish everyone was Jordan Davis from Georgia (350 lbs. who runs a 4.8 40) but that just doesn't happen often at the FCS level. Schmidt and Rygg are already over 280 with Hehl hovering around that number and Valdez will be close entering his 3rd year in the program now that he's established himself as an interior lineman. Brott has really added the weight as well this past year. Mostly just need to keep getting stronger and better and I 100% know they have been looking to add 1 more body to compete.

My biggest concern is 100% the offensive line right now. A lot of question marks and young men needing more strength development. Will they get their before next fall? Maybe but it will be the first year we won't have a for sure All-Big Sky player up-front in a long while.
I think the OL is a question mark, but I don’t think it’s a concern. There were two open spots last season and I thought Perkins and Session played well. I expect they will be better this season. No one was going to beat out Tuiasosopo or Kidd so it’s hard to say that the players behind those two aren’t good. I think Reimer, Kettles and others came in with as good, if not better, expectations as some of the recent starters. There’s definitely competition across the board and they all got a first hand look at the ndsu OL, which is a great template.

The DL is going to be very good again. Valdez is a different style of player than Benson, but he could be just as effective. No one’s as strong, but Valdez is very quick for a DT. He’s a cornerback in a DTs body.

Nonetheless the coaches will be looking for transfers and considering how well the Bobcats did last season and the number of players in the portal I’d be very surprised if they don’t bring a few.

toM StUber

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:11 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Check back for updates.

Very sharp analysis as usual. I agree with the OL analysis and hope, like prior years, 2 or 3 guys step up and make a big difference. Tui and Kidd are big losses, especially if we look at the Mellott situation with blocking.

Re: Portal - I can see programs like the Pancake Factory/Horns with Heart NIL program really hurting the ability to hit the portal and grab dropdowns if it hits many more FBS programs. This one benefits charities as well as athletes - I think the UT program is alloted for 16 players, which I assume is every OL on the active roster. $50k is too nice of a block of cheese for most athletes to pass up.

It was mentioned before but updates from those of you still in the Bozone is greatly appreciated!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:21 am

PortlandCat90 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:11 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Check back for updates.

Very sharp analysis as usual. I agree with the OL analysis and hope, like prior years, 2 or 3 guys step up and make a big difference. Tui and Kidd are big losses, especially if we look at the Mellott situation with blocking.

Re: Portal - I can see programs like the Pancake Factory/Horns with Heart NIL program really hurting the ability to hit the portal and grab dropdowns if it hits many more FBS programs. This one benefits charities as well as athletes - I think the UT program is alloted for 16 players, which I assume is every OL on the active roster. $50k is too nice of a block of cheese for most athletes to pass up.

It was mentioned before but updates from those of you still in the Bozone is greatly appreciated!
The Mellott situation with blocking? What’s the situation with that?

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:35 pm

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:40 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:35 pm
Tommy "Man of Steel" Mellott

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:01 pm

Ifanse being out should really give the coaches an idea of who else can carry the ball even if important times of the game.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:11 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:01 pm
Ifanse being out should really give the coaches an idea of who else can carry the ball even if important times of the game.
Also keep in mind they still want to add a RB transfer as well before next season.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:11 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:00 pm

He's gonna be a great coach for the defense

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:55 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:07 pm