Spring Ball 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Spring Ball 2022

Post by AFCAT » Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:37 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:30 pm
Trey Yates was moved to the oline? That’s interesting.
Competing at center this spring. Now #51.
For some reason, I never envisioned him playing the oline. I guess I just see him as a dlineman. I’m sure he will do fine.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:10 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:37 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:36 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:30 pm
Trey Yates was moved to the oline? That’s interesting.
Competing at center this spring. Now #51.
For some reason, I never envisioned him playing the oline. I guess I just see him as a dlineman. I’m sure he will do fine.
Wasn't working out on the dline. He actually was a better olineman than his brother in high school.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:25 pm

I guess he's about the same body type as Redd. They do however like taller O'linemen, Centers notwithstanding.

2024 Resume dominance

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:55 pm

All that sounds like the typical Spring Game. 🤣🤣

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by topshelfthepuck » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:22 pm

4) Will the real Demarius Hosey please stand up?

Going from the #3 back as a true freshman in 2019 to a rarely used depth piece in 2021, I'm curious to see how Hosey runs the ball in the spring game. Once again, he isn't the #3 back as Lane Sumner has gotten the #1 carries this spring as Isaiah and Elijah recover from injuries. Garrett Coon has pushed for reps as well but the coaches are challenging Hosey to beat out guys like Sumner and even Elliot. With the addition of Williams and if Ifanse recovers this fall, it may look like Hosey is the #5 back again if he doesn't beat out Lane this spring. Also throw in the fact they aren't afraid to use Jaharie as a running back as well in situations.

Vim, a question for you regarding the above BOLDED statement from your previous post. Ever since the NC Game I ponder if we have a similar Hunter Luepke on our roster, so what are your thoughts Jaharie being that type of back? He seems to absolutely love contact and isn't afraid of engaging, extremely highlighted by simply watching him on kickoff's last season. I realize we do not run the same style of offense as NDSU and the Luepke kid is special but rather than trying to continually finding the next Ifanse could MSU bring in a bruiser like Martin then also use Elliot in his speed skill set the relieve Ifanse and reduce carries? Hammering defenders early in the game with Jaharie may really set up Ifanse later in the game to be more effective with less touches.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:51 am

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am
VimSince03 wrote:

Going from the #3 back as a true freshman in 2019 to a rarely used depth piece in 2021, I'm curious to see how Hosey runs the ball in the spring game. Once again, he isn't the #3 back as Lane Sumner has gotten the #1 carries this spring as Isaiah and Elijah recover from injuries. Garrett Coon has pushed for reps as well but the coaches are challenging Hosey to beat out guys like Sumner and even Elliot. With the addition of Williams and if Ifanse recovers this fall, it may look like Hosey is the #5 back again if he doesn't beat out Lane this spring. Also throw in the fact they aren't afraid to use Jaharie as a running back as well in situations.

Vim, a question for you regarding the above BOLDED statement from your previous post. Ever since the NC Game I ponder if we have a similar Hunter Luepke on our roster, so what are your thoughts Jaharie being that type of back? He seems to absolutely love contact and isn't afraid of engaging, extremely highlighted by simply watching him on kickoff's last season. I realize we do not run the same style of offense as NDSU and the Luepke kid is special but rather than trying to continually finding the next Ifanse could MSU bring in a bruiser like Martin then also use Elliot in his speed skill set the relieve Ifanse and reduce carries? Hammering defenders early in the game with Jaharie may really set up Ifanse later in the game to be more effective with less touches.
I know Hunter is a good back. And I dont watch any NDSU football other than when we play them. But, based off of the National Championship game I couldnt tell if he was that good or not. Now, I cannot and have never been able to hit as hard as he can. But, even I could of scored a few TDs through the holes the o line opened up. :D

Hating the griz since 02.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:30 am

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 am
VimSince03 wrote:

That brings up a very good point and concept. We have a pretty bruising backfield where multiple backs can be used to deliver those body blows early without leaning on Ifanse. Particularly Sumner and Martin. I think Sumner is quite underrated. In my opinion, first half use of the stable of backs (including the QB’s toting the rock) keeps Ifanse’s legs fresh for the 4th quarter punches when he routinely is getting 5-8 yards a pop. If you could reduce the hits on him by 60-70%, a 15-16 game season is suddenly manageable. A season where your best back is allowed to take over the 4th quarter of games because his body is able to do it.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:27 pm

Callahan, Nolan, Danny U, and Alex Johnson make up the two-deep. A very solid group of four. Behind them is a battle between McCade O'Reilly, Jory Choate, Cooper Thomas, and Jace Fitzgerald. Neil Daily is currently out with an injury it looks like but he can factor into that group as well.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:26 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:27 pm

Callahan, Nolan, Danny U, and Alex Johnson make up the two-deep. A very solid group of four. Behind them is a battle between McCade O'Reilly, Jory Choate, Cooper Thomas, and Jace Fitzgerald. Neil Daily is currently out with an injury it looks like but he can factor into that group as well.
Actually, Neil Daily played in the scrimmage last Saturday and had a couple of outstanding plays in a row. The defensive players on the sidelines were jacked and were calling out his name. I believe he was No. 19. He has good size and sure looks the part.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:08 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:26 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Actually, Neil Daily played in the scrimmage last Saturday and had a couple of outstanding plays in a row. The defensive players on the sidelines were jacked and were calling out his name. I believe he was No. 19. He has good size and sure looks the part.
Shoot...I was given wrong information then. Apologies to Neil. But I'll follow up with saying Neil is definitely a player to circle as a kid who could factor into the LB group sooner than later. He's going to be Troy's size here soon and he's a great athlete.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:29 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:08 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:26 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Shoot...I was given wrong information then. Apologies to Neil. But I'll follow up with saying Neil is definitely a player to circle as a kid who could factor into the LB group sooner than later. He's going to be Troy's size here soon and he's a great athlete.
No problem. I saw him on the sidelines and kept wondering who he was (as I said, he sure looks the part). But when he made a couple of big plays in a row, I heard his name and then confirmed on a roster someone had. I think he could be a real good one!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:13 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Food for thought. What would it take for MSU to make this spring game a big event. Get 10K+ fans in attendance. Does anybody think thats possible? Try to create a new tradition for the spring game.

Hating the griz since 02.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:03 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:32 pm
Food for thought. What would it take for MSU to make this spring game a big event. Get 10K+ fans in attendance. Does anybody think thats possible? Try to create a new tradition for the spring game.
They would have to play someone else. If they brought in Western or Tech I think you would certainly raise interest. But I don't think they'll ever get 10k to a spring game.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:23 pm

Team10 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:03 pm
CodyCat wrote:
They would have to play someone else. If they brought in Western or Tech I think you would certainly raise interest. But I don't think they'll ever get 10k to a spring game.
Well wasn't that the Great falls scrimmage that was cancelled? Won't happen because Choate and Vigen want to down play the spring schedule. Unless you had a full contact game with say Portland like griz did, you aren't getting more that a 2000 fans and that won't happen because they don't want the injury risk. I am just happy if they actually broadcast the game or tape delay it.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:31 pm

CodyCat wrote:
I don't know what goes on at the spring game besides the game but I think you'd need some other activities/events.

Have an alumni game during "halftime". Kids flag football games before/after the game. Concert with local MT bands. Brew fest. Live auction of game worn jerseys from previous season.

In short, make the spring game about more than the game.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:10 pm

Saturday's 1st Team Oline:

LT: Rush Reimer
LG: JT Reed
C: Justus Perkins
RG: Marcus Wehr
RT: TJ Session

Reed has been taking 1st reps at LG basically all camp and Marcus Wehr has quickly acclimated back to Oline and added some good weight to get 1st reps at RG. Guys like Holden Sampson and Jacob Kettels will get looks at several spots as well.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:23 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:10 pm

Reed has been taking 1st reps at LG basically all camp and Marcus Wehr has quickly acclimated back to Oline and added some good weight to get 1st reps at RG. Guys like Holden Sampson and Jacob Kettels will get looks at several spots as well.
Surprised Sain isn't at one of the guard spots

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:24 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:23 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

I'm thinking him and McElroy are recovering from injuries or something? Someone can correct me too. Won't truly know the 1 unit until Saturday.

PortlandCat90
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by PortlandCat90 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:26 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:24 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:23 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

I'm thinking him and McElroy are recovering from injuries or something? Someone can correct me too. Won't truly know the 1 unit until Saturday.
McElroy had a basic clean up surgery from a trusted source. Nothing long term and will be ready to go in Fall.