Spring Ball 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Spring Ball 2022

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:49 am

Anyone know if the spring game will be televised on ESPN+?

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:38 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:13 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:34 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:56 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:37 pm
I would love to use them like NDSU used their two QBs. Tommy starts and is the day to day and Chambers gets 10-15 snaps a game as a big bruiser QB, who can make you pay if you think he is only in there to run. There is no doubt that Chambers will play, because you know he wasn’t told before he transferred here “you will have to out work the other QBs to see the field”. That just wouldn’t make sense for a QB to transfer down and not play, especially since he was a starter last year at Wyoming.

For me it’s simple, you play the best player at each position whomever that is, but we all know politics is still a big play even in college football.
I don’t really look at the chambers deal in the same light. He started for a while at Wyoming (who in the end just wasn’t very good) and he lost that starting job. His stat line was pretty rough, too. I don’t think just because a guy started for a lowly FBS program automatically puts him in a better spot to come in and start over what we saw was a pretty electric QB who got some awesome wins down the stretch. I like your idea of dual QB when it makes sense. But chambers was done at WY whether he wanted to be or not so he had to go somewhere and he and Vigen have a past.
Dunniway at SAC and Martinez are good, but MSU might just have the best two QBs in the BSC this year. I can't think of anyone besides Dunniway and Martinez that are returning.
I believe UC Davis had a Jr at QB but your point is still valid. Davis QB was serviceable but isn't a game changer like what Sac, NAU, and MSU have.

The others I will be interested in watching is seeing what EWU has behind EB3. He was the best in the country at this level so they could have a stud waiting that we know nothing about because the starter was so good. What does Baldwin have down a CP. I know they were terrible but would it be surprising that he develops a legit QB after what he did time and again at EWU?
I'm hard pressed to remember a time Eastern Washington didn't have a quarterback who wasn't among the best, if not the best quarterback in the conference/nation. We'll likely see the next one up in the fall.
Coach Baldwin inherited a wishbone and it will take him a few seasonS to install his offense. I figure in a couple of seasons CP could be formadible.
He has one of the best coaching staffs in the FCS.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:33 pm

Ryan Weese promoted/changed to General Manager. Have no idea how that changes his job, just found it interesting.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:30 pm

FYI wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:38 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I would love to use them like NDSU used their two QBs. Tommy starts and is the day to day and Chambers gets 10-15 snaps a game as a big bruiser QB, who can make you pay if you think he is only in there to run. There is no doubt that Chambers will play, because you know he wasn’t told before he transferred here “you will have to out work the other QBs to see the field”. That just wouldn’t make sense for a QB to transfer down and not play, especially since he was a starter last year at Wyoming.

For me it’s simple, you play the best player at each position whomever that is, but we all know politics is still a big play even in college football.
I don’t really look at the chambers deal in the same light. He started for a while at Wyoming (who in the end just wasn’t very good) and he lost that starting job. His stat line was pretty rough, too. I don’t think just because a guy started for a lowly FBS program automatically puts him in a better spot to come in and start over what we saw was a pretty electric QB who got some awesome wins down the stretch. I like your idea of dual QB when it makes sense. But chambers was done at WY whether he wanted to be or not so he had to go somewhere and he and Vigen have a past.
Dunniway at SAC and Martinez are good, but MSU might just have the best two QBs in the BSC this year. I can't think of anyone besides Dunniway and Martinez that are returning.
I believe UC Davis had a Jr at QB but your point is still valid. Davis QB was serviceable but isn't a game changer like what Sac, NAU, and MSU have.

The others I will be interested in watching is seeing what EWU has behind EB3. He was the best in the country at this level so they could have a stud waiting that we know nothing about because the starter was so good. What does Baldwin have down a CP. I know they were terrible but would it be surprising that he develops a legit QB after what he did time and again at EWU?
I'm hard pressed to remember a time Eastern Washington didn't have a quarterback who wasn't among the best, if not the best quarterback in the conference/nation. We'll likely see the next one up in the fall.
Coach Baldwin inherited a wishbone and it will take him a few seasonS to install his offense. I figure in a couple of seasons CP could be formadible.
Me either. I challenge someone to name the last average quarterback at EWU. Maybe they do have another stud, but you also need to keep in mind that they run an offense that, if the players around the QB are good, will put up big numbers. I’m not one to give someone credit for their stats. A lot of good players in every team sport are benefactors of the players around them and the system.

When you can contrast things, it makes it easier to identify good players. For example: when you replace a player with another player and he/she either crashes or lifts the entire team…then you know either the previous player was pretty good or bad.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:38 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:45 pm
I would like to see at least three QB's get a lot of playing time. We have put too much emphasis on one qb, or lack of a QB, over the last 6 years. It is too long a season and too brutal for one QB to get to the nati.
Build depth.
Wait, we do that at all positions except qb?
Depth is great but make no mistake, if Tommy is healthy he’s taking every meaningful snap.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:03 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:38 am
Montanabob wrote:
I would like to see at least three QB's get a lot of playing time. We have put too much emphasis on one qb, or lack of a QB, over the last 6 years. It is too long a season and too brutal for one QB to get to the nati.
Build depth.
Depth is great but make no mistake, if Tommy is healthy he’s taking every meaningful snap.
I am hoping that a combination of offensive output and defensive dominance lead to a large number of non-meaningful snaps.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:17 am

utucats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Build depth.
I can absolutely get on board with building depth. Especially at runningback. However, I have no desire for us to rotate two, let alone three QBs. Most successful teams have their QB1 that takes most if not all the snaps. Sure, we can put Chambers in to run a wildcat or some other designed run. But, whoever the starter is (Tommy) should be take most if not all the meaningful snaps.

Hating the griz since 02.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:27 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:41 am

CodyCat wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:17 am
utucats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Build depth.
I can absolutely get on board with building depth. Especially at runningback. However, I have no desire for us to rotate two, let alone three QBs. Most successful teams have their QB1 that takes most if not all the snaps. Sure, we can put Chambers in to run a wildcat or some other designed run. But, whoever the starter is (Tommy) should be take most if not all the meaningful snaps.
No reason we can’t rotate like what NDSU did.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:07 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:41 am
CodyCat wrote:
utucats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Build depth.
Which I believe was the first time they’ve ran a two QB system.

Hating the griz since 02.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:43 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:41 am
CodyCat wrote:
utucats wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Build depth.
You can do about anything you want with NDSU's O-line, that doesn't mean we'll have success at it.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:44 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:27 am
Nice! I still think Ty is one of the surest tacklers on the team. Right spot, right time, right technique!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:45 pm

Has anyone taken a stab at a two deep yet?

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:51 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:45 pm
Has anyone taken a stab at a two deep yet?
We should have a two-deep relay. I'll start a thread for that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:24 pm

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:31 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:30 pm
FYI wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:38 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ibleedblue wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

Me either. I challenge someone to name the last average quarterback at EWU. Maybe they do have another stud, but you also need to keep in mind that they run an offense that, if the players around the QB are good, will put up big numbers. I’m not one to give someone credit for their stats. A lot of good players in every team sport are benefactors of the players around them and the system.

When you can contrast things, it makes it easier to identify good players. For example: when you replace a player with another player and he/she either crashes or lifts the entire team…then you know either the previous player was pretty good or bad.
Challenge accepted. I submit the name of Kyle Padron. He started a few games before giving way to Vernon Adams Jr. I thought Kyle was average at best (at least for an EWU quality starting QB) Agree? Disagree?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:29 am

Ravi Alston can catch the ball. Very impressive today.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:38 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:29 am
That's good news. While I think Mellott is going to raise everyone's production, MSU still needs to replace McCutcheon's production. Regardless of QB Lance put up the numbers.

McKay to McCutcheon: 50-861-6
Mellott to McCutcheon: 10-232-2
Rovig to McCutcheon: 3-83-1
Last edited by TomCat88 on Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

toM StUber

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:45 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:29 am
I'm glad the WR can catch the ball \:D/

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:19 am

Rylan Ortt is a lot faster than I thought. Just ran down Lane Sumner.