Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Post by Catsrgrood » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:50 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:52 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:41 pm
Thanks for posting these. Is there any shot of Amandre... or any other BOBCAT not named Troy Andersen getting drafted this year?
I don't think so. Best bet would probably be Daniel Hardy or Lewis Kidd but I don't see either happening.
I think Hardy has an outside chance at sneaking into the 7th round, but I’m not about to put a bunch of money down on that.

I do think Hardy, Kidd and McCutcheon have very real chances at being picked up as undrafted free agents and at least getting a shot in a fall camp though.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:38 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:50 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:52 pm
catatac wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:41 pm
Thanks for posting these. Is there any shot of Amandre... or any other BOBCAT not named Troy Andersen getting drafted this year?
I don't think so. Best bet would probably be Daniel Hardy or Lewis Kidd but I don't see either happening.
I think Hardy has an outside chance at sneaking into the 7th round, but I’m not about to put a bunch of money down on that.

I do think Hardy, Kidd and McCutcheon have very real chances at being picked up as undrafted free agents and at least getting a shot in a fall camp though.
Pro Day on April 4th could be big...

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:04 pm

Troy is the only one who gets a legit shot in the NFL. The other guys might get a chance in Canada, or maybe even the XFL.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:43 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:04 pm
Troy is the only one who gets a legit shot in the NFL. The other guys might get a chance in Canada, or maybe even the XFL.
I disagree, but we'll see what happens. I don't think any other player gets drafted, but I do think we'll see legit shots\tryouts via FA. That doesn't mean they make a squad (I have a hunch one of them will), but I do think we'll see a legit shot.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:29 pm

[url][

Honestly, I should be used to it but guys like Haley drive me crazy. I don't understand this love affair with the gris. You think the Cat's have questions on the O-line, woof... They lost their top playmaker on offense, none of their RB's have shown they have the ability to be difference makers. Oh yeah, pretty sure they have a HUGE ? at the most important position. They haven't been the top team in the state for some time now and won't be again next year. They have a couple guys coming back on DEF and that's enough for the hard on from CH. Just BS.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:35 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:29 pm
[url][

Honestly, I should be used to it but guys like Haley drive me crazy. I don't understand this love affair with the gris. You think the Cat's have questions on the O-line, woof... They lost their top playmaker on offense, none of their RB's have shown they have the ability to be difference makers. Oh yeah, pretty sure they have a HUGE ? at the most important position. They haven't been the top team in the state for some time now and won't be again next year. They have a couple guys coming back on DEF and that's enough for the hard on from CH. Just BS.
I opened the article before I read your post and was going to say the same thing... Haley can't help himself from putting the gris dick in his mouth... Christ Craig, it's getting a little old. We know you wet your panties for Booby.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:53 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:35 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:29 pm
[url][

I opened the article before I read your post and was going to say the same thing... Haley can't help himself from putting the gris dick in his mouth... Christ Craig, it's getting a little old. We know you wet your panties for Booby.
Written exactly like you would expect from someone who's career started back when the gris were still relevant, hasn't watched a BSC game in years and skims the preseason/postseason standings for 2 minutes prior to writing an article.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:32 am

Don't have an issue with it. Griz were a good football team last year and pounded us head to head. I fully expect us to be #1 and #2 in the league in either order. It's just a guys opinion and talking fodder. Guys still gotta play, coaches still gotta coach. I wouldn't be shocked if the griz are champs, and certainly wouldn't be surprised if the Cats are.

Personally I don't care. One of us will win the league. However, I'm more concerned with someone stepping up and beating NDSU. I'm not sure either team has that ability, but we have nearly a year to figure it out.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:35 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:32 am
Don't have an issue with it. Griz were a good football team last year and pounded us head to head. I fully expect us to be #1 and #2 in the league in either order. It's just a guys opinion and talking fodder. Guys still gotta play, coaches still gotta coach. I wouldn't be shocked if the griz are champs, and certainly wouldn't be surprised if the Cats are.

Personally I don't care. One of us will win the league. However, I'm more concerned with someone stepping up and beating NDSU. I'm not sure either team has that ability, but we have nearly a year to figure it out.
I'm with you. I do think there's a love fest that I sometimes don't understand with the gris, especially when they have a lot of question marks, but it doesn't matter that much. Obviously we've seen that it's not vital to win the BSC and still get a good seed, so if both teams are in the top five it's a little bit of a moot point. And maybe it helps to keep playing the disrespect card. Choate capitalized on it all the time. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is better than playing as a front runner, IMO.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:15 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:35 am
ilovethecats wrote:

I'm with you. I do think there's a love fest that I sometimes don't understand with the gris, especially when they have a lot of question marks, but it doesn't matter that much. Obviously we've seen that it's not vital to win the BSC and still get a good seed, so if both teams are in the top five it's a little bit of a moot point. And maybe it helps to keep playing the disrespect card. Choate capitalized on it all the time. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is better than playing as a front runner, IMO.
Ya, I agree 100%. I hate them as much as the next guy but they beat the Huskies as a relatively healthy team, then thumped EWU and the CATS, and got beat by a damn tough JMU team... and I know the fan base is all about whining about injuries but they did get hit pretty hard with the injury bug. Make no mistake, Bobby will have them competing at a high level come Fall. Vigen has to prove he can beat the bitter rival Griz, and thankfully in 2022 we get them in our place and I predict an atmosphere like Cat\Griz in 2019, or SDSU last year and that should propel the Cats over the top.

But no, neither team can compete with NDSU currently.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:58 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:15 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Ya, I agree 100%. I hate them as much as the next guy but they beat the Huskies as a relatively healthy team, then thumped EWU and the CATS, and got beat by a damn tough JMU team... and I know the fan base is all about whining about injuries but they did get hit pretty hard with the injury bug. Make no mistake, Bobby will have them competing at a high level come Fall. Vigen has to prove he can beat the bitter rival Griz, and thankfully in 2022 we get them in our place and I predict an atmosphere like Cat\Griz in 2019, or SDSU last year and that should propel the Cats over the top.

I couldn’t disagree more.
A) Injuries: gris have poor depth.
B) Beat UW: UW sucked balls. One of their worst teams in history.
C) Beat EWU: also lost to EWU. (MSU beat EWU in Cheney)
D) Beat MSU: in the pre-Mellott Era.
E) lost to SAC: (a weak side of the bracket team) at home.
F) barely beat SUU: (arguably the worst team in the BSC) at home.
G) Robby is a senior: Bobby will retire after this season - unfortunately for the rest of the BSC.
H) no quarterback: again.
I) MSU can compete with NDSU: gris cannot.

For all the love some on here some give Hauck he still has zero depth, hasn’t won the BSC since returning, no QB, seems to have only returned to ensure his kid plays, struggles to win at home, runs a gimmick defense that only excels against bad offenses.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:53 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:58 am
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

G) Robby is a senior: Bobby will retire after this season - unfortunately for the rest of the BSC.

For all the love some on here some give Hauck he still has zero depth, hasn’t won the BSC since returning, no QB, seems to have only returned to ensure his kid plays, struggles to win at home, runs a gimmick defense that only excels against bad offenses.
This is a slippery slope as I always feel a bit dirty defending the griz. But I think nearly all of your points could be logically argued.

A) I don't know their roster top to bottom. But I haven't heard anyone question their depth. With all of the injuries they had last season, in my eyes they got kids valuable time, and had a good season. I assume that will bode well for them this year just like it will the Cats.
B)A win is a win against FBS in my eyes. Especially on the road. Had we beaten Wyoming I would have been ecstatic.
C) Lost to EWU, but beat them when it mattered. Again, if the tables were turned and the Cats did that I'd be singing their praises.
D) Mellott era, not Mellott era, I don't care. They beat our asses that day. If the Cats are as good as I thought they were last year, beating us in the manner they did was impressive.
E) I agree with this. No matter how many times griz fans say it, Sac just wasn't that good. Hence them getting killed the first round in the playoffs to a team the Cats later beat. Tired of hearing how good that team was. They weren't.
F) Agree with this too. But we barely beat Idaho too. It happens. Even to solid football teams.
G) I have no insight on this whatsoever, but I don't see Bobby leaving just because his son graduates. He's a god in Missoula. If he feels he has there program on the cusp like I happen to think he does, I don't see him going anywhere. That guy could go winless and wouldn't be on the hot seat. He's the 2nd coming and will only leave when he wants to leave.
H) As a Cat fan, I will never, EVER; call out another team for their QB situation and how they handle it. We were excited about our dropdown last season, and they are excited for theirs this season. No reason they shouldn't be. Doesn't guarantee success as we know, but to already write him off before he takes a snap doesn't fly in my personal opinion. They just may have a great QB. Who knows?
I) When the Cats compete with NDSU even one time, I'll start believing it. As of this moment the griz have beaten a very good NDSU team, and the Cats have gotten rolled by very good NDSU teams.

That's all I have. Going to go take a shower....

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:33 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:53 am
iaafan wrote:
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

This is a slippery slope as I always feel a bit dirty defending the griz. But I think nearly all of your points could be logically argued.

A) I don't know their roster top to bottom. But I haven't heard anyone question their depth. With all of the injuries they had last season, in my eyes they got kids valuable time, and had a good season. I assume that will bode well for them this year just like it will the Cats.
B)A win is a win against FBS in my eyes. Especially on the road. Had we beaten Wyoming I would have been ecstatic.
C) Lost to EWU, but beat them when it mattered. Again, if the tables were turned and the Cats did that I'd be singing their praises.
D) Mellott era, not Mellott era, I don't care. They beat our asses that day. If the Cats are as good as I thought they were last year, beating us in the manner they did was impressive.
E) I agree with this. No matter how many times griz fans say it, Sac just wasn't that good. Hence them getting killed the first round in the playoffs to a team the Cats later beat. Tired of hearing how good that team was. They weren't.
F) Agree with this too. But we barely beat Idaho too. It happens. Even to solid football teams.
G) I have no insight on this whatsoever, but I don't see Bobby leaving just because his son graduates. He's a god in Missoula. If he feels he has there program on the cusp like I happen to think he does, I don't see him going anywhere. That guy could go winless and wouldn't be on the hot seat. He's the 2nd coming and will only leave when he wants to leave.
H) As a Cat fan, I will never, EVER; call out another team for their QB situation and how they handle it. We were excited about our dropdown last season, and they are excited for theirs this season. No reason they shouldn't be. Doesn't guarantee success as we know, but to already write him off before he takes a snap doesn't fly in my personal opinion. They just may have a great QB. Who knows?
I) When the Cats compete with NDSU even one time, I'll start believing it. As of this moment the griz have beaten a very good NDSU team, and the Cats have gotten rolled by very good NDSU teams.

Excellent defense of your position…but may I suggest for that shower to use a good antibacterial soap. Dry thoroughly and liberally apply antifungal powder. Get to the doctor for a rabies test. Start a suite of antibiotics/steroids and you should be OK in about a week…at least non contagious. 😎

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:33 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Excellent defense of your position…but may I suggest for that shower to use a good antibacterial soap. Dry thoroughly and liberally apply antifungal powder. Get to the doctor for a rabies test. Start a suite of antibiotics/steroids and you should be OK in about a week…at least non contagious. 😎
Huh? Robbie doesn't go to the raiders as a first round draft pick? 😊😊😊 And daddy follows him as defensive coordinator! Isn't that how it is supposed to go according to griz nation?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:36 am

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:13 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:33 am
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Huh? Robbie doesn't go to the raiders as a first round draft pick? 😊😊😊 And daddy follows him as defensive coordinator! Isn't that how it is supposed to go according to griz nation?
The Raiders won't have a top 5 pick. He's not going there.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:38 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

a) if you're claiming injuries have sidetracked your season, then you must not have very good depth. It's not like they were injured into their third backup. MSU had a lot of injuries to key players but kept on rolling. Ifanse, Benson, Rygg, Session, Sumner, Andersen, O'Reilly, Campbell, Okada, ...

b) go ahead be ecstatic, I will, too, but history shows that beating an FBS team doesn't always mean much.

c) is this just about what we would do if we won? I don't see how it's relevant. My points are that beating EWU (and these other points that catatac brought up and losing to EWU one season isn't anything to write home about. MSU was 1-0 (and statistically trounced EWU); gris were 1-1. 1-0 is better. I'm confident that if MSU played EWU again at home in the playoffs it would win and be 2-0.

d) Beating MSU with McKay in vs Mellott just isn't the same. Beat our asses that day or not, I'm very confident they wouldn't have beat us if Mellot was playing. And I wouldn't be too confident if MSU had beaten UM, then they brought in Dave Dickenson and went to the national title game. Taht would most certainly dampen my spirits.

g) I don't think he's on the hot seat. I just don't think he's all that inspired and when his son is gone, I don't see him sticking around.

h) they didn't have a qb last year and don't appear to have one this year. It doens't matter what MSU's or EWU's or NDSU's history is.

i) MSU can compete with NDSU. They would have if Mellott and Benson aren't out last year (we didn't have enough depth in that game) and they will this year if they play. I don't think UM in its current state can compete with NDSU. They just don't have the personnel and that defense would get annihilated. I don't see how UM beating NDSU almost a decade ago makes anyone think that applies to today.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:05 pm

Sans NDSU and Alabama you just never know about college football. Some teams will come out of nowhere and be good next year. Some will fall off the ledge.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:46 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:38 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

a) if you're claiming injuries have sidetracked your season, then you must not have very good depth. It's not like they were injured into their third backup. MSU had a lot of injuries to key players but kept on rolling. Ifanse, Benson, Rygg, Session, Sumner, Andersen, O'Reilly, Campbell, Okada, ...

b) go ahead be ecstatic, I will, too, but history shows that beating an FBS team doesn't always mean much.

c) is this just about what we would do if we won? I don't see how it's relevant. My points are that beating EWU (and these other points that catatac brought up and losing to EWU one season isn't anything to write home about. MSU was 1-0 (and statistically trounced EWU); gris were 1-1. 1-0 is better. I'm confident that if MSU played EWU again at home in the playoffs it would win and be 2-0.

d) Beating MSU with McKay in vs Mellott just isn't the same. Beat our asses that day or not, I'm very confident they wouldn't have beat us if Mellot was playing. And I wouldn't be too confident if MSU had beaten UM, then they brought in Dave Dickenson and went to the national title game. Taht would most certainly dampen my spirits.

g) I don't think he's on the hot seat. I just don't think he's all that inspired and when his son is gone, I don't see him sticking around.

h) they didn't have a qb last year and don't appear to have one this year. It doens't matter what MSU's or EWU's or NDSU's history is.

i) MSU can compete with NDSU. They would have if Mellott and Benson aren't out last year (we didn't have enough depth in that game) and they will this year if they play. I don't think UM in its current state can compete with NDSU. They just don't have the personnel and that defense would get annihilated. I don't see how UM beating NDSU almost a decade ago makes anyone think that applies to today.
Now this gets really confusing. In your point A above, you go on about UM injuries and how they must not have any depth because they lost to JMU (best team behind NDSU last season) when their QB and WR went down.

But then in same breath, you claimed in point i that MSU would have competed against NDSU if Mellott and Benson didn’t go down. Isn’t that an equal comparison? You are admitting injuries to key players make a huge difference?

You also said it’s not like they were into their 3rd string or something. It was actually worse, they were into their 4th and 5th string RBs for the entire season who were true freshman. They did pretty damn well given all that.

And they downright destroyed us in a head to head match up. So if they are so bad, we must be in really rough shape?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:51 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:46 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Now this gets really confusing. In your point A above, you go on about UM injuries and how they must not have any depth because they lost to JMU (best team behind NDSU last season) when their QB and WR went down.

But then in same breath, you claimed in point i that MSU would have competed against NDSU if Mellott and Benson didn’t go down. Isn’t that an equal comparison? You are admitting injuries to key players make a huge difference?

You also said it’s not like they were into their 3rd string or something. It was actually worse, they were into their 4th and 5th string RBs for the entire season who were true freshman. They did pretty damn well given all that.

And they downright destroyed us in a head to head match up. So if they are so bad, we must be in really rough shape?
Not at all. I put in parenthesis that MSU didn't have enough depth in those areas...just like UM. I was just being consistent. You can't blame injuries, you can blame depth and by doing so you admit that you're not prepared well enough.

The gris may have been down to their fourth string at one position, but it's not like they were depleted that far down everywhere. MSU was down two of the best players in the country among others yet continued to march on. UM doesn't have the overall depth to compete week in and week out. This is why they lost to SAC at home and nearly lost to SUU at home and lost to an average EWU team...average compared to their other teams.

UM downright destroyed MSU's offense with McKay at QB. Their offense didn't do much, but they have a great day on STs. Do you think UM beats MSU this year or next or the year after with Mellott at QB? I don't. Teams have their days on any given Saturday. MSU had a day like that against SHSU. I don't think MSU would beat SHSU that bad again even if they played them ten more times.

A lot of sports fans think that one game explains it all. This is true at the NCAA basketball tourneys, too. If teams play a best of 7, you get a truer champion. I don't think St. Peters would beat Kentucky in a best of 7, but maybe that's just me. If MSU had beaten Stanford or TT I wouldn't be saying we're better. I don't think MSU was better than SDSU in football. SDSU was very, very good. Just about as good as NDSU. Everyone talked about how great the NDSU line was, but SDSU had more OL on the All-MVFC team than NDSU.

People try to bend over backward to show their objectivity about UM, but they're over-doing it IMO. You don't have to build them up into something they're not just to show your objectivity.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:30 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:51 pm
ibleedblue wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:46 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
catatac wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:

Not at all. I put in parenthesis that MSU didn't have enough depth in those areas...just like UM. I was just being consistent. You can't blame injuries, you can blame depth and by doing so you admit that you're not prepared well enough.

The gris may have been down to their fourth string at one position, but it's not like they were depleted that far down everywhere. MSU was down two of the best players in the country among others yet continued to march on. UM doesn't have the overall depth to compete week in and week out. This is why they lost to SAC at home and nearly lost to SUU at home and lost to an average EWU team...average compared to their other teams.

UM downright destroyed MSU's offense with McKay at QB. Their offense didn't do much, but they have a great day on STs. Do you think UM beats MSU this year or next or the year after with Mellott at QB? I don't. Teams have their days on any given Saturday. MSU had a day like that against SHSU. I don't think MSU would beat SHSU that bad again even if they played them ten more times.

A lot of sports fans think that one game explains it all. This is true at the NCAA basketball tourneys, too. If teams play a best of 7, you get a truer champion. I don't think St. Peters would beat Kentucky in a best of 7, but maybe that's just me. If MSU had beaten Stanford or TT I wouldn't be saying we're better. I don't think MSU was better than SDSU in football. SDSU was very, very good. Just about as good as NDSU. Everyone talked about how great the NDSU line was, but SDSU had more OL on the All-MVFC team than NDSU.

People try to bend over backward to show their objectivity about UM, but they're over-doing it IMO. You don't have to build them up into something they're not just to show your objectivity.
This (bolded) is so, so true.

The best thing I heard from Vigen during his presser the other day was that the main goal was building depth. If your main goal is building depth that means you've got the starters and main role players well defined. Building depth is all about getting buy-in from the players and then getting them quality reps. Vigen is great to listen to once you get past his monotone ways. After having Choate here that's a big change in gears. Vigen is a very smart, well spoken, respectful coach.

The worst thing I heard him say was that MSU was back at it two weeks(?) after the title game, but NDSU was back at it a week ahead of MSU. (...or something like that). However, there were a lot of good things in his comments.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber