Montana Recruits 2023

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

jdevries
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Montana Recruits 2023

Post by jdevries » Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:11 pm

All I care about are the big boys..... guys who can move and carry a 300# load around. That's it. The rest of the players are irrelevant to me.....🤣

Football games are won at the LOS

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 pm

You need to get Aidan Martin from Gallatin on your recruiting list. Dominant player from what has been the best defense in MT AA at Gallatin High this year (49 points allowed in 5 games having already played most of the best competition in the Eastern Division.) Had three sacks tonight against Great Falls, one of which (unfortunately) was so vicious it knocked Great Falls' QB out, probably for the season and another one that knocked Reed Harris at least out of the game (and possibly more) late.

He's got at least 14 TFL and 6 sacks through the first 5 games.

He is undersized for DE at 6' 200LBS so I don't know what his college position is, but he is just a football player.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:55 am

Travelingcat wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:59 pm
You need to get Aidan Martin from Gallatin on your recruiting list. Dominant player from what has been the best defense in MT AA at Gallatin High this year (49 points allowed in 5 games having already played most of the best competition in the Eastern Division.) Had three sacks tonight against Great Falls, one of which (unfortunately) was so vicious it knocked Great Falls' QB out, probably for the season and another one that knocked Reed Harris at least out of the game (and possibly more) late.

He is undersized for DE at 6' 200LBS so I don't know what his college position is, but he is just a football player.
Is Rees Harris not playing QB this year?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:58 am

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:55 am
Travelingcat wrote:

Moving him around. Playing WR and wildcat QB at times. In my opinion its a mess. But BC recruited him as a WR so might not be a bad thing for him.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:02 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:58 am
RobertCats wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:55 am
Travelingcat wrote:

Moving him around. Playing WR and wildcat QB at times. In my opinion its a mess. But BC recruited him as a WR so might not be a bad thing for him.
Gotcha, thanks for that! I saw fairly low points scored by GFH over the last few seasons and thought a talent like Reed should be able to take over and dominate at this level. But maybe there isn't that much talent around him?

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:56 pm

Travelingcat wrote:

Ashton Platt is hands down a way better QB than Reed Harris is. I think Harris will be in the transfer portal after his first year at BC.

Punters are people too!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:47 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:56 pm
Travelingcat wrote:

Ashton Platt is hands down a way better QB than Reed Harris is. I think Harris will be in the transfer portal after his first year at BC.
Harris isn’t being recruited as a QB, so I don’t see how it matters.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:59 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:47 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

GoCats18 has stated that Harris is overrated earlier this year so take that into account. Unnecessary to even state the above bolded statement.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:59 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:47 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Travelingcat wrote:

GoCats18 has stated that Harris is overrated earlier this year so take that into account. Unnecessary to even state the above bolded statement.
Reed Harris will be a huge stud at BC. I saw him almost kill a kid on defense this year. When he was QB, I don’t think he took any snaps on defense. I do like the new QB though and Reed has been effective at WR. Harris is one of the best athletes to come out of Montana in the past 20 years. He is big, fast and smart.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:02 pm

Say what you want. It’s one thing to be an absolute standout player, it’s another to be a legacy athlete. I have coworkers whose kids played last year at GFH that told me straight up, that if his last name wasn’t Harris, he wouldn’t have any FBS offers. I watched him play both basketball and football the last two seasons, and I wasn’t impressed. There is way better talent in this class that won’t get the kind of offers he did simply because their dads didn’t play pro sports. That’s all I am saying.

Punters are people too!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:48 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:02 pm
Say what you want. It’s one thing to be an absolute standout player, it’s another to be a legacy athlete. I have coworkers whose kids played last year at GFH that told me straight up, that if his last name wasn’t Harris, he wouldn’t have any FBS offers. I watched him play both basketball and football the last two seasons, and I wasn’t impressed. There is way better talent in this class that won’t get the kind of offers he did simply because their dads didn’t play pro sports. That’s all I am saying.
Do you understand what a legacy athlete is? He would be a legacy at Minnesota, not anywhere else.

Harris isn’t getting FBS offers because of who his dad is. He’s getting offers because he has great size and athleticism, and is raw as hell. They can mold him into whatever they want. Will it work? Who knows, might or might not…but the idea that he got offers from quite a few FBS schools because his dad played college football is just plain stupid. If it worked that way, Grant Collins would have had FBS offers too.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:13 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:48 pm
GoCats18 wrote:
Do you understand what a legacy athlete is? He would be a legacy at Minnesota, not anywhere else.

Harris isn’t getting FBS offers because of who his dad is. He’s getting offers because he has great size and athleticism, and is raw as hell. They can mold him into whatever they want. Will it work? Who knows, might or might not…but the idea that he got offers from quite a few FBS schools because his dad played college football is just plain stupid. If it worked that way, Grant Collins would have had FBS offers too.
The kid also put in the work. He went to FBS camps and performed well...then got offers. That's how it works. Will he be great at the highest level? Who knows but we should be cheering on any MT kid that gets to play at a Power 5 school. That's a cool deal and only helps other MT kids in the future to get more notice.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:30 am

GoCats18 wrote:
I am sorry, but you and your co-workers are not being objective. Maybe they have a relative on the roster that was beat out by Harris? The kid has all the measurables and physical tools to succeed. That is undeniable at his size and speed. As for his performance on the field and on the court, those physical tools are evident. I saw him take a pitch around the end for 80 yards. He was the biggest kid on the field who looked like the fastest kid on the field while everyone on defense was in slow motion. In that same game, he played defense and just about killed an opponent with a vicious hit. I will say that how GF used him the past couple years was strange. He was not a true QB and I never seen him play defense till this year.

As for basketball, he was no all-state player, but once again, his physical tools were on display. I have never seen any kid in Montana basketball throw a dunk down like him in warmups. He was doing a 360 dunk with ease as a sophomore. And Coach Howard does not strike me as someone who will play a kid because of his last name. And he is not being recruited to the P5 because of his basketball skills. His basketball ability on the court really has nothing to do with getting a P5 offer, but it does showcase his physical tools.

Who is his dad? I never heard he played professionally.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:01 pm

I would love to see any Montana kid that plays at any level have success. I don’t care if they are NAIA or playing for the Griz. I’m just tired of people thinking this kid is the greatest athlete to ever play Montana high school sports just for getting the offers he did and committing to BC. I have watched several high school games the last two years and have seen kids that are far better athletes, that aren’t getting the attention his is. That’s all I am getting at.

Punters are people too!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:55 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:01 pm
I would love to see any Montana kid that plays at any level have success. I don’t care if they are NAIA or playing for the Griz. I’m just tired of people thinking this kid is the greatest athlete to ever play Montana high school sports just for getting the offers he did and committing to BC. I have watched several high school games the last two years and have seen kids that are far better athletes, that aren’t getting the attention his is. That’s all I am getting at.
Nobody has said he’s the greatest ever.

You’re coming off as if you have a personal problem with him, and that’s very unfortunate. It’s possible you’ve seen kids who are more polished, and thus “better” at the moment, I very much doubt you’ve seen any in Montana who’s a better athlete. Size and athleticism will get you places as a recruit, get used to it.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:14 pm

Nothing personal at all. If he kills it at BC, that’s awesome and I will eat my words. Maybe what I have seen is a kid that doesn’t care about playing physical(doesn’t want to get hurt) since he knows he is already committed to an FBS school. Either way, enough of this. Let’s focus on those that could still commit to our program.

Punters are people too!!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:19 am

Any chance anyone with their finger on the pulse of Montana recruits can tell us who the biggest recruit left in Montana is? or maybe top 5 left that the coaching staff may be focusing on?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:07 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:19 am
Any chance anyone with their finger on the pulse of Montana recruits can tell us who the biggest recruit left in Montana is? or maybe top 5 left that the coaching staff may be focusing on?
Bobcats have offers out to the following uncommitted prospects on my board (partial or PWO):

13.) Patrick Duchien (Florence) - 6'2", 200 lbs. - QB/ATH
14.) Hunter Sharbono (Fairview) - 6'2", 230 lbs. - TE/FB/LB/DL
JJ Dolan (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'0", 170 lbs. - CB
Jonathan Luhmman (Florence) - 6'4", 275 lbs. - OL
Luke Smith (Bozeman High) - 6'4", 205 lbs. - TE/DE/LB
Tom Carter (Helena Capital) - 6'1", 170 lbs. - WR/S

Luke and Tom have played their way into higher consideration meaning a bidding war will likely happen for them between UM/MSU. Their offers will likely have to increase as both are on track to be 1st-Team All-Staters and pushing their teams into #1 East/West rankings, respectively. Patrick doesn't have the weapons he had last year but I still think he has an argument as the bet QB recruit in this class. Hunter has had a stellar senior season for Fairview, catching passes, getting carries, and making big hits from his MLB spot. Jonathan played his way into a PWO from MSU as the big fella improved his foot quickness from his junior season.

Prior to the season, the following 3 players made my Top 15 and have yet to receive FCS offers:

6.) Zach Tierney (Butte) - 6'4", 260 lbs. - OL
9.) Kade Boyd (Billings Central) - 6'0", 180 lbs. - RB/S
15.) Josiah Triplett (CMR) - 6'1", 225 lbs. - FB/DL

By all accounts Zach has had a great senior season moving over to the LT spot and playing DT for the Bulldogs. Kade has also been great for BC and had a recent visit to an EWU game. Still think he is being severely under-recruited. Josiah (JJ) Triplett holds offers from NAIA schools but nothing has formalized into an offer with his FCS interest from schools like NDSU and UM.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:17 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:07 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:19 am
Bobcats have offers out to the following uncommitted prospects on my board (partial or PWO):

13.) Patrick Duchien (Florence) - 6'2", 200 lbs. - QB/ATH
14.) Hunter Sharbono (Fairview) - 6'2", 230 lbs. - TE/FB/LB/DL
JJ Dolan (Missoula Sentinel) - 6'0", 170 lbs. - CB
Jonathan Luhmman (Florence) - 6'4", 275 lbs. - OL
Luke Smith (Bozeman High) - 6'4", 205 lbs. - TE/DE/LB
Tom Carter (Helena Capital) - 6'1", 170 lbs. - WR/S

Luke and Tom have played their way into higher consideration meaning a bidding war will likely happen for them between UM/MSU. Their offers will likely have to increase as both are on track to be 1st-Team All-Staters and pushing their teams into #1 East/West rankings, respectively. Patrick doesn't have the weapons he had last year but I still think he has an argument as the bet QB recruit in this class. Hunter has had a stellar senior season for Fairview, catching passes, getting carries, and making big hits from his MLB spot. Jonathan played his way into a PWO from MSU as the big fella improved his foot quickness from his junior season.

Prior to the season, the following 3 players made my Top 15 and have yet to receive FCS offers:

6.) Zach Tierney (Butte) - 6'4", 260 lbs. - OL
9.) Kade Boyd (Billings Central) - 6'0", 180 lbs. - RB/S
15.) Josiah Triplett (CMR) - 6'1", 225 lbs. - FB/DL

By all accounts Zach has had a great senior season moving over to the LT spot and playing DT for the Bulldogs. Kade has also been great for BC and had a recent visit to an EWU game. Still think he is being severely under-recruited. Josiah (JJ) Triplett holds offers from NAIA schools but nothing has formalized into an offer with his FCS interest from schools like NDSU and UM.
Any ideas on why the bottom 3 don't have any offers yet?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:40 am

Tom Carter has had a great senior year. Really hope to see him at msu.