2023 recruiting. 127 known offers - 38 known Bobcat commits/walk-ons - 85 elsewhere

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2023 recruiting. 57 known offers

Post by Cat Grad » Thu May 19, 2022 10:27 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:41 pm

Very athletic player.

21.79 200 meters. You-know-who ran it in 22.34 at state. And you-know-who-else was 22.65 (jr year).

He has a boatload of offers.

Sounds promising.

But his dad knows vigen!! 3*** goes to 5 stars on the bobcat roster.
Probably one of the main reasons he'll be here.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2023 recruiting. 58 known offers

Post by Team10 » Fri May 20, 2022 8:19 am

Is this method of offering opportunities the Spray and Pray model? Can't quite wrap my head around what they're going for here. I guess this is the leave no stone unturned method...it seems like every school a coach visits there is at least one kid that gets an offer. When these offers would pop up on my twitter feed I was always curious to look at their players highlights. Now with so many offers being sent out I don't even bother looking anymore.

Anyone else have thoughts on the number of offers?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 20, 2022 8:35 am

Team10 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:19 am
Is this method of offering opportunities the Spray and Pray model? Can't quite wrap my head around what they're going for here. I guess this is the leave no stone unturned method...it seems like every school a coach visits there is at least one kid that gets an offer. When these offers would pop up on my twitter feed I was always curious to look at their players highlights. Now with so many offers being sent out I don't even bother looking anymore.

I am a bit perplexed by some of the offers but that’s coming from a guy who knows little about what goes into recruiting players. I guess time will tell. 8-[

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Fri May 20, 2022 9:12 am

Not fully understanding the process, it feels as if words 'offer' and 'committed' are simply acknowledgements of interest in the recruitment process and that a letter of intent is where something of substance materializes (maybe ?).

For instance, what if 20 of these young men pulled the trigger on their MSU offer today. Is MSU committed and done recruiting? What if a stud comes along later?

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 8:35 am
Team10 wrote:

I am a bit perplexed by some of the offers but that’s coming from a guy who knows little about what goes into recruiting players. I guess time will tell. 8-[
Like AFCAT I really don’t know inner workings of recruiting process and strategy employed by different schools. I wonder what percent of offers they typically expect to sign and which strategy works the best…..but then I have to believe the coaches know what has worked best for them.

One thought I had though was around the future. The transfer portal is certainly creating some changes in the way players move about in their careers. The portal is still relatively new…but let’s say a kid makes a choice to play at XYZ University and finds it not to be a good fit….does the fact he or she had a great trip to MSU, developed a relationship with a coach and received an offer……does that make it easier for the kid to contact and reconsider MSU if exploring going into portal sometime down the road? 🤷‍♂️ I do know of one specific example in the basketball world where that did happen and that was pre portal….

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri May 20, 2022 10:01 am

Wonder if this will impact us?

The D-I Council also approved a Football Oversight Committee recommendation meant to aid with roster management, lifting the yearly scholarship cap of 25.

While the maximum of 25 so-called initial counters will be waived for the next two years, the overall scholarship limit of 85 per team in the Bowl Subdivision and 63 in the Championship Subdivision will remain in place. The change, backed by the American Football Coaches’ Association, is aimed at helping teams replenish rosters that have been thinned by transfers.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:13 am
AFCAT wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Like AFCAT I really don’t know inner workings of recruiting process and strategy employed by different schools. I wonder what percent of offers they typically expect to sign and which strategy works the best…..but then I have to believe the coaches know what has worked best for them.

One thought I had though was around the future. The transfer portal is certainly creating some changes in the way players move about in their careers. The portal is still relatively new…but let’s say a kid makes a choice to play at XYZ University and finds it not to be a good fit….does the fact he or she had a great trip to MSU, developed a relationship with a coach and received an offer……does that make it easier for the kid to contact and reconsider MSU if exploring going into portal sometime down the road? 🤷‍♂️ I do know of one specific example in the basketball world where that did happen and that was pre portal….
I think the prior relationship aspect is certainly true to a point. After all, the Cats have signed a few transfers (Chambers, Aigbedion, Polidore) this year that had prior relationships with the coaches. I’m not sure that the coaches put out all these offers in the hope for a future transfer but it certainly doesn’t hurt and is possibly a small part of the plan. There is probably a zillion reasons why they do this, a few of which are: Marketing - get the brand out to big recruits and schools. Relationship building. Hope for a miracle, etc. :D

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:19 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:06 am
BobcatDel wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Team10 wrote:

I think the prior relationship aspect is certainly true to a point. After all, the Cats have signed a few transfers (Chambers, Aigbedion, Polidore) this year that had prior relationships with the coaches. I’m not sure that the coaches put out all these offers in the hope for a future transfer but it certainly doesn’t hurt and is possibly a small part of the plan. There is probably a zillion reasons why they do this, a few of which are: Marketing - get the brand out to big recruits and schools. Relationship building. Hope for a miracle, etc. :D
It's probably just kids letting the world know that they got offers. Recruiting is now more about getting yourself recruited than it is about schools finding you. The more offers you have the better, I guess. MSU probably offered just as many players in prior years, but players didn't always post it.

If you have five players you like for one position, you offer all five feeling that any one of them is a good get. Once one commits, the others are pulled. An offer may also be contingent on other things, so players can say they got offered, but aren't able to commit.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 20, 2022 11:35 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:19 am
AFCAT wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Team10 wrote:

It's probably just kids letting the world know that they got offers. Recruiting is now more about getting yourself recruited than it is about schools finding you. The more offers you have the better, I guess. MSU probably offered just as many players in prior years, but players didn't always post it.

If you have five players you like for one position, you offer all five feeling that any one of them is a good get. Once one commits, the others are pulled. An offer may also be contingent on other things, so players can say they got offered, but aren't able to commit.
I know that’s all part of the process. I just can’t remember having this many offers out this early in the game. It just seems unusual, but it may not be. The final numbers of offers over the past few years seem to be fairly accurate from what we can tell from Twitter and other sources. After all, we pretty much know who has been committed to the Cats before signing day. There has been the odd surprise gain or loss but not many. BN intel collection ops have been pretty good. I know not everyone posts offers though. Time will tell if this ends up being a higher number or on par with prior years.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:53 am

AFCAT wrote:

With the transfer portal playing such a huge role now in college athletics, I think it's a very important move to build relationships with some of these high school players, coaches, and programs even if some of the guys you're offering now are very unlikely to initially commit to MSU or the FCS level. A couple years down the road if the player is a little lower on the depth chart than he'd like at his school, now MSU becomes more of an option if and when the player decides to move on. I don't see any reason to doubt that Coach Vigen and his staff understand how the process works and are are going about this in a measured and strategic way.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:43 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:53 am
AFCAT wrote:

With the transfer portal playing such a huge role now in college athletics, I think it's a very important move to build relationships with some of these high school players, coaches, and programs even if some of the guys you're offering now are very unlikely to initially commit to MSU or the FCS level. A couple years down the road if the player is a little lower on the depth chart than he'd like at his school, now MSU becomes more of an option if and when the player decides to move on. I don't see any reason to doubt that Coach Vigen and his staff understand how the process works and are are going about this in a measured and strategic way.
Excellent point.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri May 20, 2022 1:25 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 11:19 am
AFCAT wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Team10 wrote:

Right. Not all offers are committable and a kid can even have his offer pulled after he’s committed. Nobody is held to anything until the paper is signed.

Like Tom said, kids have to get themselves recruited these days. The Twitter stuff is just marketing themselves to coaches. Once a kid posts a D1 offer, his DM’s and follower counts blow up from other coaches playing the copycat game.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri May 20, 2022 7:39 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 9:12 am
Not fully understanding the process, it feels as if words 'offer' and 'committed' are simply acknowledgements of interest in the recruitment process and that a letter of intent is where something of substance materializes (maybe ?).

For instance, what if 20 of these young men pulled the trigger on their MSU offer today. Is MSU committed and done recruiting? What if a stud comes along later?
If you’ve got 20 kids that you feel are a similar talent, at the same position, you offer all 20 in this hypothetical situation, and say you’re only taking 3 or 4 guys at this position, so if you want in, better to join up sooner than later. This offer might not be there if we fill our spots. Now, if there’s a player that you really want, they’ll save a spot for him.

You can’t go out there and offer 20 kids if you have 20 spots. The volume is a necessity, and the offers are conditional on a few things (performance, injuries, grades, staying out of trouble). I’ve seen plenty of times where a kid committed, didn’t improve like they thought he would, and the coaches encouraged him to go elsewhere. I think there was a LB from MN that we did that to a few years back.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:01 am
Wonder if this will impact us?

The D-I Council also approved a Football Oversight Committee recommendation meant to aid with roster management, lifting the yearly scholarship cap of 25.

While the maximum of 25 so-called initial counters will be waived for the next two years, the overall scholarship limit of 85 per team in the Bowl Subdivision and 63 in the Championship Subdivision will remain in place. The change, backed by the American Football Coaches’ Association, is aimed at helping teams replenish rosters that have been thinned by transfers.
It really means if a coach wants to clear out his roster fast, he can. Bump out some players who aren’t performing like expected and replace.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 20, 2022 9:52 pm

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat May 21, 2022 7:12 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:39 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:

If you’ve got 20 kids that you feel are a similar talent, at the same position, you offer all 20 in this hypothetical situation, and say you’re only taking 3 or 4 guys at this position, so if you want in, better to join up sooner than later. This offer might not be there if we fill our spots. Now, if there’s a player that you really want, they’ll save a spot for him.

You can’t go out there and offer 20 kids if you have 20 spots. The volume is a necessity, and the offers are conditional on a few things (performance, injuries, grades, staying out of trouble). I’ve seen plenty of times where a kid committed, didn’t improve like they thought he would, and the coaches encouraged him to go elsewhere. I think there was a LB from MN that we did that to a few years back.
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/05 ... cer-visit/

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat May 21, 2022 11:10 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 7:12 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:39 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/2022/05 ... cer-visit/
Okay?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2023 recruiting. 59 known offers

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 23, 2022 11:48 am

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2023 recruiting. 60 known offers

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 23, 2022 5:19 pm

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2023 recruiting. 61 known offers

Post by AFCAT » Mon May 23, 2022 8:00 pm

He has already committed to Nevada but I’ll add this on here anyway.