2022 Offensive Line

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

topshelfthepuck
BobcatNation Letterman

2022 Offensive Line

Post by topshelfthepuck » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:24 am

Been a thread going about the new D-Line for 10 days now and so I wanted to start looking at the Offensive side of the ball, especially after hearing Coach Entz comment about how Offensive Lineman are like gods in Fargo. Have to give the big boys as much love as possible!

First, no doubt losing 2 All Americans is never helpful, but you hope they've passed on everything they can to this next generation. Thank you Lewis and Taylor for being awesome Bobcats. I hope they both get a shot at the next level.

Spring Ball Starter Predictions
LT - Rush Reimer (So) Started 4 of the last 5 games this season at RT
LG - Zach Redd (Sr) 3 Year starter and the staple for next seasons line
C - Justus Perkins (So) Started every game in 2021
RG - Cole Sain (Jr) Started 1 Game at RG in 2021 & originally listed as starting C until injury
RT - TJ Sessions (So) Started every game outside of Injury

Behind these guys we will have a ton of Sophomore status players that will have 3 and even 4 years within the program (between redshirts and covid free year). Redd projects to be the only Senior in 2022 and so the Depth, Size and Development everyone is hoping for in matching NDSU has great potential for the future.

The 2022 O-Line will be young but has experience at each and every position. Young guys who have been in the program for some time will certainly be pushing to overtake some of these spots and grab a more significant roll. Looking through all of this, I truly think our line will be one of the top if not the #1 strength of the 2022 team.

Belief in the strength and conditioning program, players waiting for their opportunity while still progressing in their development and creating that depth of 8-9 possible starters is what the aim has been since Choate took the reins. I believe we are right on the edge of having that in 2022.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2022 Offensive Line

Post by gtapp » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:13 am

I have been hearing that Kettles is a very good player and will provide competition to the starters.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:54 am

Vigen has mentioned Titan Fleischmann as really coming along too.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:01 pm

I don't know who TJ Sessions is, but I'd guess TJ SESSION will be the starting RT again.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:13 pm

OL Recruits
Burke Mastel, OL (6-4/290/Fr/Red Lodge, MT--Red Lodge)
Conner Moore, OL (6-5/260/Fr/Millbury, OH--Lake)
Tommy Nilson, OL (6-3/255/Fr/Missoula, MT--Hellgate)
Ethan Abbott - OL/DL (6-3/280/Fr/Florance, MT)
Bear Old - OL (6-5/280/Fr/Tiger, GA-Raburn County HS)

There may be challengers in this group, at least to be in the rotation. Bear Old held offers from at least 3 FBS schools.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:21 pm

JDoub wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:13 pm
OL Recruits

There may be challengers in this group, at least to be in the rotation. Bear Old held offers from at least 3 FBS schools.
Ethan Abbott committed as a DL, but obviously that can change. At least that's what he said on his twitter announcement. I watched him play this season and he was an absolute game wrecker. Granted that was in Class B, but he dominated everybody. His big and has a mean streak, which is a combination a lot of guys that size don't have.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:30 pm

Any chance Holden Sampson fights for a spot? I’m a Helena homer, but I thought I also remembered seeing that he impressed in the Spring

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:53 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:21 pm
JDoub wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:13 pm
OL Recruits

Ethan Abbott committed as a DL, but obviously that can change. At least that's what he said on his twitter announcement. I watched him play this season and he was an absolute game wrecker. Granted that was in Class B, but he dominated everybody. His big and has a mean streak, which is a combination a lot of guys that size don't have.
I wondered about that

but you know, LewisKidd came here as a DL

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:25 pm

Abbott is a DL for sure.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:25 pm

I’d be very surprised if any of the incoming recruits made the two deep on the OL.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:40 pm

topshelfthepuck wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:24 am
Been a thread going about the new D-Line for 10 days now and so I wanted to start looking at the Offensive side of the ball, especially after hearing Coach Entz comment about how Offensive Lineman are like gods in Fargo. Have to give the big boys as much love as possible!

First, no doubt losing 2 All Americans is never helpful, but you hope they've passed on everything they can to this next generation. Thank you Lewis and Taylor for being awesome Bobcats. I hope they both get a shot at the next level.

RG - Cole Sain (Jr) Started 1 Game at RG in 2021 & originally listed as starting C until injury

Behind these guys we will have a ton of Sophomore status players that will have 3 and even 4 years within the program (between redshirts and covid free year). Redd projects to be the only Senior in 2022 and so the Depth, Size and Development everyone is hoping for in matching NDSU has great potential for the future.

The 2022 O-Line will be young but has experience at each and every position. Young guys who have been in the program for some time will certainly be pushing to overtake some of these spots and grab a more significant roll. Looking through all of this, I truly think our line will be one of the top if not the #1 strength of the 2022 team.

Belief in the strength and conditioning program, players waiting for their opportunity while still progressing in their development and creating that depth of 8-9 possible starters is what the aim has been since Choate took the reins. I believe we are right on the edge of having that in 2022.
I agree with others saying there are some young up and comers that could possibly take over and become starters. The only knock I have on the starting five you listed... is that it's not a huge line. There's a 6'0" and a 6'1" in that group. I know size isn't everything and it's more important to have strength, speed, technique... but ideally we have 6'4" and up dudes that have all that. Broken record here but the only way we topple NDSU is with a huge, dominant OL with some future NFL players on it.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:30 pm
Any chance Holden Sampson fights for a spot? I’m a Helena homer, but I thought I also remembered seeing that he impressed in the Spring
Yes - he is a little undersized, but has put on some good weight and is very technically sound. He will compete for a spot in the 2 deep.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:30 pm

Looking at the current roster, there are several undergrad OL not yet mentioned who look to have great potential. Sorry - I don't have the time at the moment to list all players like on the DL thread. Whomever posted that they think this position group is a strength has my second. I really like this group!

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:19 pm

I think OL has been a priority for a few years now. Most of us thought the OL would be the strength of the team this time last year before Wood left and there were a couple injuries. Of course you have to build enough depth that you don't get a drop-off, but I get the sense we will start to see the results of that recruiting effort like we did in 2019 on the OL.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:14 am

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:40 pm
topshelfthepuck wrote:

I agree with others saying there are some young up and comers that could possibly take over and become starters. The only knock I have on the starting five you listed... is that it's not a huge line. There's a 6'0" and a 6'1" in that group. I know size isn't everything and it's more important to have strength, speed, technique... but ideally we have 6'4" and up dudes that have all that. Broken record here but the only way we topple NDSU is with a huge, dominant OL with some future NFL players on it.
Our OLine did a fine job all season. But then got wrecked in the final. I bit my tongue several times at the thought of that small of an interior line. 6’0 and 6’1 bothered me. I want 6’5 315lb road graders across the front. Our last few gents that fit that mold were from the Midwest. Gotta love those stereotypical corn fed boys. Lol.

Our current line was admirable. I’d like to see constantly dominant.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:52 am

I didn't think our 0-line got wrecked in the final. It was our D-line that got wrecked.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:25 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:14 am
catatac wrote:
topshelfthepuck wrote:

Our OLine did a fine job all season. But then got wrecked in the final. I bit my tongue several times at the thought of that small of an interior line. 6’0 and 6’1 bothered me. I want 6’5 315lb road graders across the front. Our last few gents that fit that mold were from the Midwest. Gotta love those stereotypical corn fed boys. Lol.

You realize that a 315# 6-5 OL who can actually do anything is a first day draft pick, right? Even NDSUs All American T weighed in at 301. Lewis Kidd was an all American who bulked up to 311 for his senior year.

Lets be realistic here. I'd love to find guys who fit that mold...but c'mon man. Those guys are getting recruited by teams that have FBS national title aspirations like Oregon, Utah, UW USC, etc.

If MSU can consistently get dudes like Kidd, Tui, Connor Wood (who did in fact hit 315 this year...and got stolen away by an SEC team) I'm 100% happy.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:51 am

onceacat wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:25 am
94VegasCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
topshelfthepuck wrote:

You realize that a 315# 6-5 OL who can actually do anything is a first day draft pick, right? Even NDSUs All American T weighed in at 301. Lewis Kidd was an all American who bulked up to 311 for his senior year.

Lets be realistic here. I'd love to find guys who fit that mold...but c'mon man. Those guys are getting recruited by teams that have FBS national title aspirations like Oregon, Utah, UW USC, etc.

If MSU can consistently get dudes like Kidd, Tui, Connor Wood (who did in fact hit 315 this year...and got stolen away by an SEC team) I'm 100% happy.
Why settle? Aim high. Lol

I’d take 6’4 300 over 6’0 280 all day long.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:35 am

94VegasCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
topshelfthepuck wrote:

Several posters have said that, but the OL didn’t get wrecked in the final. MSU averaged 4.6 ypc. 34-156. Ifanse 18-84; Rovig 8-51. Allowed zero sacks. The lack of scoring was due more to poor execution on special teams and the defense not getting the ball back. McCutcheon had a good game, but didn’t make a couple tough catches on deep balls. MSU would’ve been knocking on 400 yards of offense if gets one of those. Mellott playing the full game probably has MSU around 450.

MSU returns a really good core of OL talent. Five guys with experience. 4-5 players capable of challenging those five.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:06 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:35 am
94VegasCat wrote:
catatac wrote:
topshelfthepuck wrote:

Several posters have said that, but the OL didn’t get wrecked in the final. MSU averaged 4.6 ypc. 34-156. Ifanse 18-84; Rovig 8-51. Allowed zero sacks. The lack of scoring was due more to poor execution on special teams and the defense not getting the ball back. McCutcheon had a good game, but didn’t make a couple tough catches on deep balls. MSU would’ve been knocking on 400 yards of offense if gets one of those. Mellott playing the full game probably has MSU around 450.

MSU returns a really good core of OL talent. Five guys with experience. 4-5 players capable of challenging those five.

👍

Sports is not bigger than life