Lack of Portal Grabs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

4thecats
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Lack of Portal Grabs

Post by 4thecats » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am

The portal genre is new and quickly evolving. Strategies are still trying to be figured out and trends will eventually show in the future.
I have not seen MSU grab any significant interest or signees from the portal, and I see others taking advantage and filling spots with proven game changers.

Did MSU playing in the Championship put us behind in the portal grab? Of course, this is a great problem to have and I wouldn't trade places with anyone.

Os there a trend when the portal slows down, a date when most teams grab the best players and after a certain date, the pickings are far and few between?

I'm not complaining at all, just seeing the griz getting some great talent and the Cats not making many moves.
I am just curious about the recruiting process and wondering if this is a normal trend.

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Lack of Portal Grabs

Post by Clinton T » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:38 am

My take - our coaches are being strategic in who they bring in. Picky might be a better word. We have established a culture of being team first and hard working. If they can find a guy who fits the mould of what it is to be a bobcat, especially in an area of need, you can bet you a$$ they will try to get them. I do feel we are at a point where we have depth at all positions. Guys will develop and be ready for the fall. I am comfortable with our roster if we don't land anyone else in the portal.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:44 am

Clinton T wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:38 am
My take - our coaches are being strategic in who they bring in. Picky might be a better word. We have established a culture of being team first and hard working. If they can find a guy who fits the mould of what it is to be a bobcat, especially in an area of need, you can bet you a$$ they will try to get them. I do feel we are at a point where we have depth at all positions. Guys will develop and be ready for the fall. I am comfortable with our roster if we don't land anyone else in the portal.
I’m back and forth on this one. I’m not convinced we get better on the offensive and defensive lines without bringing in some dudes. It might be we have the guys we needed to bring our team to the next level… just might be two years away and this is a rebuilding year.

But, I’ve been wrong before…..

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:23 am

4thecats wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:24 am
The portal genre is new and quickly evolving. Strategies are still trying to be figured out and trends will eventually show in the future.
I have not seen MSU grab any significant interest or signees from the portal, and I see others taking advantage and filling spots with proven game changers.

Did MSU playing in the Championship put us behind in the portal grab? Of course, this is a great problem to have and I wouldn't trade places with anyone.

Os there a trend when the portal slows down, a date when most teams grab the best players and after a certain date, the pickings are far and few between?

I'm not complaining at all, just seeing the griz getting some great talent and the Cats not making many moves.
I am just curious about the recruiting process and wondering if this is a normal trend.
Unless I'm missing something, MSU has two committed transfers (Polidore from Air Force and Chambers from Wyoming) and UM has three. Not exactly a huge discrepancy there. The best way to build a consistently top-level program is to recruit and develop talented high school players and fill in gaps here and there with transfers who are too good to pass up or who fill a position of immediate need. I'd be more concerned if MSU was going after a bunch of transfers as that would suggest a lack of talent among its freshmen and sophomores who will be stepping up to replace the seniors from this year.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:41 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:23 am
4thecats wrote:

Unless I'm missing something, MSU has two committed transfers (Polidore from Air Force and Chambers from Wyoming) and UM has three. Not exactly a huge discrepancy there. The best way to build a consistently top-level program is to recruit and develop talented high school players and fill in gaps here and there with transfers who are too good to pass up or who fill a position of immediate need. I'd be more concerned if MSU was going after a bunch of transfers as that would suggest a lack of talent among its freshmen and sophomores who will be stepping up to replace the seniors from this year.
Whose the other transfer for the griz? All I remember is the qb transfer from SDSU and the WR from UW

Bobcatsinmso

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:38 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:41 pm
MSU01 wrote:
4thecats wrote:

Whose the other transfer for the griz? All I remember is the qb transfer from SDSU and the WR from UW
A DB grad transfer from Idaho State, Jayden Dawson recently committed to gris.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

4thecats

Post by 4thecats » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:12 pm

MSU01 wrote:
4thecats wrote:

Kind of my point exactly. Bringing in Chambers doesn't seem like a power grab. He was nothing special on a Poor FBS team. He may be a descent backup QB but it's not like he is something that gets you excited about.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm

4thecats wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:12 pm
MSU01 wrote:
4thecats wrote:

Kind of my point exactly. Bringing in Chambers doesn't seem like a power grab. He was nothing special on a Poor FBS team. He may be a descent backup QB but it's not like he is something that gets you excited about.
why are you thinking the QB the Gris signed is outstanding.

Sports is not bigger than life

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:42 pm

There has to be a couple big DT floating around out there....

Like 6’3”, 300 lbs, athletic, former 3 or 4 star recruits, with a couple years experience under their belts... looking to join a national contender....

Is it really too much to ask? :)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:52 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:42 pm
There has to be a couple big DT floating around out there....

Like 6’3”, 300 lbs, athletic, former 3 or 4 star recruits, with a couple years experience under their belts... looking to join a national contender....

Is it really too much to ask? :)

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:09 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm
4thecats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
4thecats wrote:

He's not and if he plays at all then they are in real trouble in Missoula.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:11 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm
4thecats wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
4thecats wrote:

He may not be outstanding but on paper it looks more appealing grabbing a starting qb from a team that finished 12-2 than a qb from a team that finished 7-6. As a fan you’d feel better knowing the possible replacement for Humphrey is coming off of a successful season and who threw over 300 yards in his last game, than grabbing a qb that you faced this season and didn’t necessarily wow you when you played them.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:16 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:44 am
Clinton T wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:38 am
I’m back and forth on this one. I’m not convinced we get better on the offensive and defensive lines without bringing in some dudes. It might be we have the guys we needed to bring our team to the next level… just might be two years away and this is a rebuilding year.

But, I’ve been wrong before…..
My take as well. I just don’t see us being better in 2022 without the likes of Lewis Kidd, Chase Benson, etc.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:30 pm

Odd thought: It feels like the portal is currently full of players hoping to move up the ranks with FBS teams as the target (or from an FBS team to a better FBS team). As time goes by, these players may become more realistic about the landscape and the opportunties if not selected by FBS teams. If true, this could work in favor of FCS teams with top tier teams like MSU having an advantage. So the longer good players sit in the portal, the better for MSU (maybe?).

This is not to say that MSU shouldn't pursue players where there is a need and I'm betting that the current staff understands both the need and landscape of the portal and transfers better than I...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm

I agree it feels like we have holes to plug, big bunch of great seniors we're losing. I think portal recruiting has to be very selective. Teams that consistently win at this level do so through high school recruiting and player development. You can fill gaps with portal guys, as we've done before and are doing again. I think perhaps the most important portal recruiting for elite fcs teams is recruiting your own players to keep them out of the portal.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:46 pm

Of course the top priority has to be on developing high school kids. There are exceptions though- this Dru Polidore for example, he still has 4 years eligibility. So it’s not much different then signing a high school kid.

You could almost argue that in his case it’s even better... as he was able to get 1 year training and experience with a higher level program instead of coming here straight outta high school.

Just some random thoughts...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:44 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:46 pm
Of course the top priority has to be on developing high school kids. There are exceptions though- this Dru Polidore for example, he still has 4 years eligibility. So it’s not much different then signing a high school kid.

You could almost argue that in his case it’s even better... as he was able to get 1 year training and experience with a higher level program instead of coming here straight outta high school.

Just some random thoughts...
Right, seems like a good fit. Chambers also, in that he's similar in style to our starter and can run the offense this spring without much adjustment.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:21 pm

There will also be a lot of activity after spring ball when guys see where they stand on their depth-charts..... I think that is when we "may" see more dropdowns...

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:54 pm

MSU01 wrote:
4thecats wrote:

You right. We can always get better but going and hitting the portal for a bunch of over-hyped, over recruited players that left a program because they didn’t win the starting position their freshman year. The portal is loaded with players w inflated sense of self worth and/or trouble kids that are bad for any program. Yes, there are exceptions - I’d be happy if we brought in a grad transfer for the younger position groups, i.e. Nate Stewart, or someone the coaches have previously recruited. But idgaf about getting a kid that was a 3, 4, or even 5* that is looking for a home because he couldn’t beat out his competition. Gimme a HS stud that we can indoctrinate into the program!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:39 pm

Scholarship allocation. It’s an issue on what you can offer a portal drop-down seeing as the 63 scholarships can be partials. Can’t just bring in 10 guys and promise them all full rides, especially for upper-tier FCS programs who recruit well from the HS pool.

Some people just need to complain.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride