Who does NDSU beat next year in Frisco?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who does NDSU beat next year in Frisco?

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:32 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:20 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm
85CatGrad wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:56 pm
Whatever dude. I will stand by my position that losing Tommy was the biggest factor. You can stand on your position that losing in the trenches was the biggest factor.

Your mom is calling... Time for supper. :)
Man I wish she could. Passed away last year. Weird comment.

But yes, to your other point that’s what I’ve been saying for two weeks. I just don’t get pissed at other peoples opinions. You think losing Tommy is what lost us the game. I think we could have had Tom Brady playing qb and if the play on the lines was the same, we still lose. Never seen an OL dominate us like that before.
You must've been switching channels when we had the ball, because our OL didn't play as poorly as you're implying. Either that or you're so distraught with how their OL dominated our defense, that you're remembering our OL the same by osmosis. :)
I was at the game so no switching channels.

My comment above said I’ve never seen an OL dominate US like that before. Meaning the NDSU offensive line dominated us all game.

As far as our OL against them, I have said it wasn’t as bad as the other side of the ball. I conceded they did ok. If I had to pick either their DL or our OL, I’d probably still give their DL the slight edge in that game. But it was nothing like the dominance they displayed on the OL all game.

But I assume you misread my comments because what you quoted and responded to didn’t make sense based on what I said. :-k

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:04 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:32 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
Whatever dude. I will stand by my position that losing Tommy was the biggest factor. You can stand on your position that losing in the trenches was the biggest factor.

But yes, to your other point that’s what I’ve been saying for two weeks. I just don’t get pissed at other peoples opinions. You think losing Tommy is what lost us the game. I think we could have had Tom Brady playing qb and if the play on the lines was the same, we still lose. Never seen an OL dominate us like that before.
You must've been switching channels when we had the ball, because our OL didn't play as poorly as you're implying. Either that or you're so distraught with how their OL dominated our defense, that you're remembering our OL the same by osmosis. :)

My comment above said I’ve never seen an OL dominate US like that before. Meaning the NDSU offensive line dominated us all game.

As far as our OL against them, I have said it wasn’t as bad as the other side of the ball. I conceded they did ok. If I had to pick either their DL or our OL, I’d probably still give their DL the slight edge in that game. But it was nothing like the dominance they displayed on the OL all game.

But I assume you misread my comments because what you quoted and responded to didn’t make sense based on what I said. :-k
Must've been the Tom Brady line that threw me off. I thought since you mentioned him, that you were also talking about the MSU OL.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:35 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:04 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:32 pm
iaafan wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

Must've been the Tom Brady line that threw me off. I thought since you mentioned him, that you were also talking about the MSU OL.
Nope. Just that in the way they dominated the game and were scoring at will, winning 35-0 at one point, I don’t know that any qb would have overcome that. Sorry for the confusion.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:06 pm

Speaking of the DL:

MSU allowed 20 points (24 below average) to the No. 2 scoring team (EWU) in the nation, 19 points (22 below average) to the No. 3 scoring team (SHSU) in the nation, and 17 points to the No. 10 scoring team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 38 (4 above average) to the No. 12 scoring team (NDSU) in the nation.

MSU allowed 79 yards (149 below avg./2.3 ypc) to the No. 6 rushing team (SHSU) in the nation, 124 (88 below avg./3.8') to the the No. 9 rushing team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 380 (100 over average; 7.6) to the No. 2 rushing team (NDSU) in the nation.

Yeah, yeah, I know NDSU has an awesome offensive line, but are they really that much better than SDSU and SHSU. The SDSU line was pretty imposing looking and they seemed to be having their way early. Shut down SHSU all game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:21 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:06 pm
Speaking of the DL:

MSU allowed 20 points (24 below average) to the No. 2 scoring team (EWU) in the nation, 19 points (22 below average) to the No. 3 scoring team (SHSU) in the nation, and 17 points to the No. 10 scoring team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 38 (4 above average) to the No. 12 scoring team (NDSU) in the nation.

MSU allowed 79 yards (149 below avg./2.3 ypc) to the No. 6 rushing team (SHSU) in the nation, 124 (88 below avg./3.8') to the the No. 9 rushing team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 380 (100 over average; 7.6) to the No. 2 rushing team (NDSU) in the nation.

Yeah, yeah, I know NDSU has an awesome offensive line, but are they really that much better than SDSU and SHSU. The SDSU line was pretty imposing looking and they seemed to be having their way early. Shut down SHSU all game.
Ya, tough to say exactly why they were so dominant... but being there in person and watching the line play closely, it was just flat out domination, and tough to watch.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:21 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Speaking of the DL:

Ya, tough to say exactly why they were so dominant... but being there in person and watching the line play closely, it was just flat out domination, and tough to watch.
Exactly.

Scheme? Matchups? Figured out something the others didn't?

No one moved the ball remotely close to as well as NDSU did, yet MSU played some offenses with more firepower. NDSU had five TDs in 35 minutes; only two teams had three in a game. The rest two or less. Still blows my mind. NDSU had nine games under 38 points this season. NDSU only had more than 28 points at halftime twice all season and never had 35 points as fast as it did against MSU, except for a it's game against Valpo.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:09 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:32 pm
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Speaking of the DL:

Exactly.

No one moved the ball remotely close to as well as NDSU did, yet MSU played some offenses with more firepower. NDSU had five TDs in 35 minutes; only two teams had three in a game. The rest two or less. Still blows my mind. NDSU had nine games under 38 points this season. NDSU only had more than 28 points at halftime twice all season and never had 35 points as fast as it did against MSU, except for a it's game against Valpo.
I just think momentum matters so much in sports. You jump on a team and make the gap between the two teams look bigger than it is. I've said this many times and will continue to until I'm blue in the face. Again, I don't think MSU (without TA) was 34 points better than the gris in 2019. I think the Cats were better, sure, but not 34 points better. I think NDSU was better, but not 28 points better.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 am

TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Speaking of the DL:

Exactly.

Could it be possible that a slick playing surface is a huge advantage to a line with size that simply needs to block straight downfield and a huge disadvantage for a defense that is attempting to use athleticism and stunts up front to neutralize the size advantage? :-k

I suppose the more reasonable answer is that the BI - son pretend to be beatable in the spring and against South Dakota State just to get our hopes up ](*,)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:04 am

utucats wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:56 am
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Speaking of the DL:

Exactly.

Could it be possible that a slick playing surface is a huge advantage to a line with size that simply needs to block straight downfield and a huge disadvantage for a defense that is attempting to use athleticism and stunts up front to neutralize the size advantage? :-k

I suppose the more reasonable answer is that the BI - son pretend to be beatable in the spring and against South Dakota State just to get our hopes up ](*,)
Please elaborate. Did MSU try to do anything else besides using its athleticism and stunts to neutralize NDSU's size?

toM StUber

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:44 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:04 am
utucats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Speaking of the DL:

Exactly.

Please elaborate. Did MSU try to do anything else besides using its athleticism and stunts to neutralize NDSU's size?
I believe firmly that our defense was affected by the field. I think it's at much the phenomena we saw against SDSU in 2014 in the snow, where the offense knows where they're going and it's harder, slower for the D to react, than anything specific to our scheme. The reason i say that is because when you go watch many of their long runs, especially the ones Patterson hit us on, they're pulling and moving laterally always 1, usually 2 linemen. And those pullers never missed their block. It was an unbelievable performance.
I have come to the realization that a number of factors (Tommy's injury, field, first time there, etc) led to us having one of our worst days of the season, while they had schemed us up and hit almost everything early in the game which got them going (which is a credit to their team) and led to them playing as well as they had in awhile. They're a tremendous team, i don't know how many times we win if we play them 10 times, but nobody can convince me the gap is as big as it looked that day.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:38 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:44 am
TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Speaking of the DL:

Exactly.

I believe firmly that our defense was affected by the field. I think it's at much the phenomena we saw against SDSU in 2014 in the snow, where the offense knows where they're going and it's harder, slower for the D to react, than anything specific to our scheme. The reason i say that is because when you go watch many of their long runs, especially the ones Patterson hit us on, they're pulling and moving laterally always 1, usually 2 linemen. And those pullers never missed their block. It was an unbelievable performance.
I have come to the realization that a number of factors (Tommy's injury, field, first time there, etc) led to us having one of our worst days of the season, while they had schemed us up and hit almost everything early in the game which got them going (which is a credit to their team) and led to them playing as well as they had in awhile. They're a tremendous team, i don't know how many times we win if we play them 10 times, but nobody can convince me the gap is as big as it looked that day.
That could be true, but I always take it back to the fact that both teams played on the same field. Sure field conditions can impact things based on O and D schemes, tendencies, etc... so elite teams adjust for things and never make excuses, regardless of how many cards are stacked against them. WE can throw excuses out there all day long as fans, as long as the program doesn't, and thankfully Vigen knows what it takes to be a championship team and excuses have no part of that.

One other thing I'll throw out there in terms of why they were able to dominate us. I honestly believe they come into that game with extra juice, and I have no idea how they are able to do that. I mean sure, every team that makes it to the last game of the season brings some extra juice, but they play on a different level. Keep in mind - they have literally NEVER LOST a game there. They own the town, the stadium, and the game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:51 am

catatac wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:38 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
utucats wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
catatac wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Speaking of the DL:

Exactly.

That could be true, but I always take it back to the fact that both teams played on the same field. Sure field conditions can impact things based on O and D schemes, tendencies, etc... so elite teams adjust for things and never make excuses, regardless of how many cards are stacked against them. WE can throw excuses out there all day long as fans, as long as the program doesn't, and thankfully Vigen knows what it takes to be a championship team and excuses have no part of that.

One other thing I'll throw out there in terms of why they were able to dominate us. I honestly believe they come into that game with extra juice, and I have no idea how they are able to do that. I mean sure, every team that makes it to the last game of the season brings some extra juice, but they play on a different level. Keep in mind - they have literally NEVER LOST a game there. They own the town, the stadium, and the game.
Agree with the second part, and maybe i didn't explain well on the first, but my point was they were able to do things laterally on both offense and defense on the same surface, where we couldn't. I think when you're a team that needs to have a really good day to win a particular game, something like a poor surface that may exacerbate the differences in certain position groups doesn't help, but didn't cause us to lose.
I've been thinking about your second point a lot. They clearly built their own momentum over the 3 weeks, and that's the part of the process that us, sdsu, um, Kennesaw and whomever else that become their consistent challengers down there have to master, how to sustain a hot streak over that layoff.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:22 pm

I dont see the field issue as an excuse. It's a reason that we have to face and overcome. Like many have said, we played on the same field but I don't think acknowledging that conditions may have affected our style more than theirs takes anything away from the win. Just means we know to be prepared for that scenario and not hoping to make halftime adjustments because the game might be out of reach by then.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:52 pm

technoCat wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:22 pm
I dont see the field issue as an excuse. It's a reason that we have to face and overcome. Like many have said, we played on the same field but I don't think acknowledging that conditions may have affected our style more than theirs takes anything away from the win. Just means we know to be prepared for that scenario and not hoping to make halftime adjustments because the game might be out of reach by then.
Thanks for using the Reason vs Excuse rationale.
An excuse is reasonably avoidable: “if I would’ve worn my seatbelt, I wouldn’t have been hurt so bad.” Not wearing a seatbelt is inexcusable.
A reason isn’t excusably avoidable: “I don’t have any money because I was just robbed at gun point.” That’s a good reason since any attempt to retain your money might cost you your life.

That’s a good reason, you’re excused.

toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:22 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:

That's exactly how I see it as well.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 pm
Sam knows the FCS pretty well.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-ear ... itle-bzbz/
The only national writer I actually pay attention to.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Bizun 86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bizun 86 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:11 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:08 pm
NDSU caught us in a perfect storm. They didn’t look all that great against JMU. They aren’t that far ahead and at this point their reputation is making them tougher to beat.

Reminds me of Tyson, rolling over opponents just cause of fear until someone like Buster Douglas comes along after losing his mother and decides to throw all chips on the table. Then we all find out that he’s just a bully and can’t take getting punched back. Holyfield completely exposed him.

Not saying that NDSU can’t handle the punches but some of the problem is everyone is acting like they are unbeatable. If the field surface wasn’t slick and Tommy didn’t get hurt, I think we are right in that game.
Just stop

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:00 am

Bizun 86 wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:11 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:08 pm
NDSU caught us in a perfect storm. They didn’t look all that great against JMU. They aren’t that far ahead and at this point their reputation is making them tougher to beat.

Reminds me of Tyson, rolling over opponents just cause of fear until someone like Buster Douglas comes along after losing his mother and decides to throw all chips on the table. Then we all find out that he’s just a bully and can’t take getting punched back. Holyfield completely exposed him.

Not saying that NDSU can’t handle the punches but some of the problem is everyone is acting like they are unbeatable. If the field surface wasn’t slick and Tommy didn’t get hurt, I think we are right in that game.
Just stop
Agreed

Hating the griz since 02.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:59 pm

I am convinced the only way to beat NDSU is through the systematic use of steroids and hyper dosing caffeine before games.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:14 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:59 pm
I am convinced the only way to beat NDSU is through the systematic use of steroids and hyper dosing caffeine before games.
Whatever happened with the kid failed a drug test for doping a couple years ago?(@unds)