Where Does the Roster Need Help?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Where Does the Roster Need Help?

Post by rivercat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:58 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:54 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 pm
Interior d line and o line, we need to build our team to beat NDSU, the last 3 times we’ve faced them, they’ve been able to slow our run game down and run right at us and gash us for large rushing games. Obviously we can’t just ignore other position groups but those two areas is where we’re lacking the most when we are matched up with NDSU.
Agree 1000%.

I know that most care about the gris more than anything and I understand it. Don't agree but understand it. And I know they beat our asses this year. But if we have any aspirations of winning the whole damn thing, we need to build to beat NDSU. If we do that, the rest of the wins will come. But three in a row of them not just beating us, but dominating us, shows that's where we need to go.

I'm confident Vigen knows this better than anyone and he'll get us there.
Losing to the Griz sucks and having state bragging rights is one thing but when we’ve played NDSU we’re on the national stage for everyone to see and we’re getting humiliated. We’re to the point where it’s a toss up come cat/Griz game and that’s good but come NDSU it’s clearly NDSU.
I'm concerned about what will happen to what seems like at least 50% of Bobcat fans if there isn't a team dominating MSU. I swear these people live for this kind of defeatism. First it was UM and the 16-game losing streak, then it was EWU, now it's NDSU. Will this become a lost tribe? Will they migrate to the Serengeti plain only to be preyed upon by of a barbaric clan of marauders wishing to dismember and mutilate them?
I don't know about the dismembered and mutilated part, but your point is well taken.

"We" didn't get humiliated. There were no fans on the team. The MSU football team got beat by the most dominant dynasty the FCS/1AA has ever seen. It happens and it is not humiliating to be the #2 FCS team in the country.

Beating NDSU will not happen overnight. That program has developed over decades into what they are today. I hope and believe that Bobcats will someday be able to compete and win against the Bison but it will take time.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:44 pm

technoCat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:18 pm
The one glaring need I see is size on the dline. Seems like everyone else can get 1-2 300lb guys to soak up blocks. Why can't we? I think we have guys almost every where else so depth would be nice but not the highest priority.
We got a monster that came in at 400, slimmed down to 350 and by all the reports I heard way back when was a team favorite, kicking ass on the weights, etc..... and yet apparently never panned out. I dunno. Minor point being, size helps - but they have to be super tough, quick, and good. Both Lines. We kicked ass on some teams this year that had 330 pounders all over the O Lines.

I do agree though - regardless of size, we need NFL draft pick players on both lines if we want to compete with NDSU. Huge challenge.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:10 pm

rivercat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
Interior d line and o line, we need to build our team to beat NDSU, the last 3 times we’ve faced them, they’ve been able to slow our run game down and run right at us and gash us for large rushing games. Obviously we can’t just ignore other position groups but those two areas is where we’re lacking the most when we are matched up with NDSU.
Agree 1000%.

I know that most care about the gris more than anything and I understand it. Don't agree but understand it. And I know they beat our asses this year. But if we have any aspirations of winning the whole damn thing, we need to build to beat NDSU. If we do that, the rest of the wins will come. But three in a row of them not just beating us, but dominating us, shows that's where we need to go.

Losing to the Griz sucks and having state bragging rights is one thing but when we’ve played NDSU we’re on the national stage for everyone to see and we’re getting humiliated. We’re to the point where it’s a toss up come cat/Griz game and that’s good but come NDSU it’s clearly NDSU.
I'm concerned about what will happen to what seems like at least 50% of Bobcat fans if there isn't a team dominating MSU. I swear these people live for this kind of defeatism. First it was UM and the 16-game losing streak, then it was EWU, now it's NDSU. Will this become a lost tribe? Will they migrate to the Serengeti plain only to be preyed upon by of a barbaric clan of marauders wishing to dismember and mutilate them?
I don't know about the dismembered and mutilated part, but your point is well taken.

"We" didn't get humiliated. There were no fans on the team. The MSU football team got beat by the most dominant dynasty the FCS/1AA has ever seen. It happens and it is not humiliating to be the #2 FCS team in the country.

Beating NDSU will not happen overnight. That program has developed over decades into what they are today. I hope and believe that Bobcats will someday be able to compete and win against the Bison but it will take time.
Not saying the season was lost by coming up short in the championship. Even though they came up short on every goal they have each season (win the big sky, beat the griz and win the fcs championship), this team was one of the most successful and greatest teams to come through clearly, but the manner in how they lost, was more than humbling. Obviously losing your star qb is a gut punch to say the least, but still coming off a game where the defense shut down the best RB duo in the FCS (minus the long TD run), I thought the defense would put up some resistance to NDSU’s run game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:50 am

TomCat88 wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
Agree 1000%.

Layman’s terms? :-k

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:29 am

technoCat wrote:
The one glaring need I see is size on the dline. Seems like everyone else can get 1-2 300lb guys to soak up blocks. Why can't we? I think we have guys almost every where else so depth would be nice but not the highest priority.
Really hard to find those guys. I would argue we need to get stronger. Yes, bigger usually means stronger but you can get stronger without being a lot bigger. After 3 straight years of getting manhandled by NDSU I am not confident our strength program is where it needs to be. I have no idea what their strength program looks like but it needs to do something different.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:11 am

gtapp wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:29 am
technoCat wrote:
Really hard to find those guys. I would argue we need to get stronger. Yes, bigger usually means stronger but you can get stronger without being a lot bigger. After 3 straight years of getting manhandled by NDSU I am not confident our strength program is where it needs to be. I have no idea what their strength program looks like but it needs to do something different.
But sometimes it just comes down to making the other teams move MASS. On a slick field, it doesn't matter how strong you are if you can't out leverage the other guy because you can't get an angle. I'm not asking for a couple Minters in the middle every year but just guys that can soak blocks and let our athletes at DE and LB (which we seem to be able to find in abundance) to get to the ball carrier without OL getting to them first. Benson did a good job of it when healthy but was he bulked up too much?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 am

Size does not necessarily equate to strength on the field.

At a certain point, more size becomes detrimental.

However, it's also true that guys who can carry 280-305 lbs of good weight tend to be the strongest players at the POA.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:22 am

gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:
I actually thought our S&C was the best it's been in a long time, but that could also been simply because we had an extra year in the weight room. But I mean look at guys like Daniel Hardy and even Lance McCutcheon.

But you are right we need to keep making progress here. NDSU and maybe the first half of SDSU were the only times all year where I felt our DL really got pushed around. But those are probably the two best OLs in the country, and NDSU throws in huge TEs and FBs in the mix.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pm

gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Herrin is new, replacing Alex Wilcox (who if I remember right, you liked).

I think you have to give Herrin more than a year or two to say the strength program isn’t where it should be. Unless you want to apply for the job.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:25 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:25 pm
gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:

I think you have to give Herrin more than a year or two to say the strength program isn’t where it should be. Unless you want to apply for the job.
Herrin and Vigen both. The process may already be underway. I guess I should say, "I hope they have made some changes and we are waiting for those changes to take effect".

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:27 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:

The fact that NDSU returns 4 of their starting offensive lineman and all of their RBs and their FB Luepke, they need to find an answer to their run game or hope they get upset in the playoffs next year. The d line has looked tough against every opponent we’ve faced, not only this year but even in 2018 and 2019, but NDSU has had their way with the cats upfront and has ran all over them each meeting. Even when the cats shut down the best RB duo in the FCS the week prior and it looked like they could at least give them some resistance they run for 380 yards. So not sure if it’s just overall size or just a strength issue or both but find it frustrating that the cats d has had a harder time slowing NDSU down when other teams have had more success in doing so with a lesser talented roster.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:25 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:27 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:

The fact that NDSU returns 4 of their starting offensive lineman and all of their RBs and their FB Luepke, they need to find an answer to their run game or hope they get upset in the playoffs next year. The d line has looked tough against every opponent we’ve faced, not only this year but even in 2018 and 2019, but NDSU has had their way with the cats upfront and has ran all over them each meeting. Even when the cats shut down the best RB duo in the FCS the week prior and it looked like they could at least give them some resistance they run for 380 yards. So not sure if it’s just overall size or just a strength issue or both but find it frustrating that the cats d has had a harder time slowing NDSU down when other teams have had more success in doing so with a lesser talented roster.
Maybe their lineman will go into the portal or declare for the draft..... Fingers double crossed.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:48 pm

Remember when a thread titled like this was about making sure the weights were accurate?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 pm

jgrilley406 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Game day conditions neutralized our DLs strengths and amplified NDSU’s. They have a great line and the touch of bad luck was devastating considering it was already going to be a battle for us

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:24 am

As mentioned: We need more,

1. O Line size and attitude
2. D Line size and attitude
3. Ifanse handcuff/replacement
4. MLB who can develop for 4 years
5. DE's
6. A BIG TE!

Staff: we need a Freddie Banks, a SpTeams Coach who also can develop other position group

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm
There aren’t any areas of desperate need. I think Leighton was either injured or off his game late in the year. That needs to get fixed. Need a special teams coach.
+1 on that, Mr. Tomcat. Hopefully the defense will continue to eliminate the need to receive more than 1-2 kickoffs per game, and with the new rule pretty much what is needed is good judgment and a good fair catch signal. But there were opportunities for big returns at times. Punt returns need to create a problem for the opposing team, not the reverse. Lots of work to be done there, but with the athletes in hand a lot of yards and a few scores are possible.

I remember at least two kickoffs or punts that were returned for touchdowns that were called back for unnecessary penalties on the return. Didn’t Willie house one against Wyoming that would have been the game winner? That is exactly why a quality special teams coach is needed. The guys are there — what if they were coached up like the defense was?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:25 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:

Maybe their lineman will go into the portal or declare for the draft..... Fingers double crossed.
I don't know if that's accurate. When I looked at their roster, I was thinking three of their OL players are seniors, and an NDSU fan told me they're all getting drafted. Not sure how accurate that is and I'm too lazy to research it.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:56 pm

catatac wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 pm
Montanabob wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:

I don't know if that's accurate. When I looked at their roster, I was thinking three of their OL players are seniors, and an NDSU fan told me they're all getting drafted. Not sure how accurate that is and I'm too lazy to research it.
https://247sports.com/college/north-dak ... 71639/Amp/

Idk that’s the article I read. I was confused too because their roster says 3 OL as seniors and their TE but says that they got 4 returning lineman and the TE returning. Then on defense the roster has all 3 LBs as seniors but 2 of the 3 returning same with the secondary, has everyone returning for the secondary but some are listed as seniors on the roster.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:29 am

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:56 pm
catatac wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 pm
Montanabob wrote:
jgrilley406 wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
gtapp wrote:
technoCat wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/north-dak ... 71639/Amp/

Idk that’s the article I read. I was confused too because their roster says 3 OL as seniors and their TE but says that they got 4 returning lineman and the TE returning. Then on defense the roster has all 3 LBs as seniors but 2 of the 3 returning same with the secondary, has everyone returning for the secondary but some are listed as seniors on the roster.
Since they played in the Spring, it's entirely possible that they have some players whose 4th year was in 2021 but can come back for a second senior year in 2022 due to the extra Covid year. Kind of like Bishop, Adamu, and Mohamed on MSU's basketball team.

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:28 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm
There aren’t any areas of desperate need. I think Leighton was either injured or off his game late in the year. That needs to get fixed. Need a special teams coach.
+1 on that, Mr. Tomcat. Hopefully the defense will continue to eliminate the need to receive more than 1-2 kickoffs per game, and with the new rule pretty much what is needed is good judgment and a good fair catch signal. But there were opportunities for big returns at times. Punt returns need to create a problem for the opposing team, not the reverse. Lots of work to be done there, but with the athletes in hand a lot of yards and a few scores are possible.

I remember at least two kickoffs or punts that were returned for touchdowns that were called back for unnecessary penalties on the return. Didn’t Willie house one against Wyoming that would have been the game winner? That is exactly why a quality special teams coach is needed. The guys are there — what if they were coached up like the defense was?
Nobody says UM needs a ST coach. I assume those asking for a ST coach believe Vigen doesn’t have the chops to handle that position or at a minimum, outperform Hauck.