Where Does the Roster Need Help?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Where Does the Roster Need Help?

Post by rivercat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:31 pm

Phat Daddy wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:28 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:03 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:55 pm
There aren’t any areas of desperate need. I think Leighton was either injured or off his game late in the year. That needs to get fixed. Need a special teams coach.
+1 on that, Mr. Tomcat. Hopefully the defense will continue to eliminate the need to receive more than 1-2 kickoffs per game, and with the new rule pretty much what is needed is good judgment and a good fair catch signal. But there were opportunities for big returns at times. Punt returns need to create a problem for the opposing team, not the reverse. Lots of work to be done there, but with the athletes in hand a lot of yards and a few scores are possible.

I remember at least two kickoffs or punts that were returned for touchdowns that were called back for unnecessary penalties on the return. Didn’t Willie house one against Wyoming that would have been the game winner? That is exactly why a quality special teams coach is needed. The guys are there — what if they were coached up like the defense was?
Nobody says UM needs a ST coach. I assume those asking for a ST coach believe Vigen doesn’t have the chops to handle that position or at a minimum, outperform Hauck.
Not a very good comparison. Hauck has been a special teams coach for other coaches. Special teams is what he knows. Vigen knows qbs and offenses which is a much higher skill set.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 am

catatac wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:44 pm
technoCat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:18 pm
The one glaring need I see is size on the dline. Seems like everyone else can get 1-2 300lb guys to soak up blocks. Why can't we? I think we have guys almost every where else so depth would be nice but not the highest priority.
We got a monster that came in at 400, slimmed down to 350 and by all the reports I heard way back when was a team favorite, kicking ass on the weights, etc..... and yet apparently never panned out.
If you're talking about Tua Areta, he was a redshirt freshman who got injured halfway through the season. Way too early to close the book on a guy who was always going to be a project player.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:59 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 am
catatac wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:44 pm
technoCat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:18 pm
The one glaring need I see is size on the dline. Seems like everyone else can get 1-2 300lb guys to soak up blocks. Why can't we? I think we have guys almost every where else so depth would be nice but not the highest priority.
We got a monster that came in at 400, slimmed down to 350 and by all the reports I heard way back when was a team favorite, kicking ass on the weights, etc..... and yet apparently never panned out.
If you're talking about Tua Areta, he was a redshirt freshman who got injured halfway through the season. Way too early to close the book on a guy who was always going to be a project player.
Thanks for the info, I had no idea he was injured. I remember several posts about him during the season and don't remember anyone saying anything about injury, but I do remember multiple posters saying he wasn't good enough to crack the two deep. Certainly didn't want to put the kid down as I've been one of his biggest supporters since he arrived. Hope we get to see him dominating on the DL this Fall!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!