2022 Defensive Line

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

2022 Defensive Line

Post by MSU Toddler » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:25 pm

With apologies to those still in mourning over the 2021 team and the championship game (I know I still am), I'm highly curious about the defensive line this fall considering the losses of Benson, Williams, Hardy, and Rollins.

From the MSU roster site and the incoming signees, this is the list that I was able to pull together listing anything d-line related. Sorry in advance for any mistakes or omissions. Name, position, and current grade are from the MSU roster site below as well as the BN post on 2022 commitments.

Ethan Abbott, OL/DL, 2022 Commit
Logan Fredericksen, DE/LB, 2022 Commit
Jake Vigen, DE, 2022 Commit
Dylan Snyder, WR/DE/LB, 2022 Commit
Conner Moore, OT/DE, 2022 Commit

Brody Grebe, DE, Freshman
Zack Black, DL, Freshman
Sebastian Valdez, DL, Freshman
Paul Brott, DL, Freshman
Trey Yates, DL, Freshman

Blake Schmidt, DL, RS Freshman
Marcus Wehr, DL, RS Freshman
Tua Areta, DT, RS Freshman

David Alston, DE, Sophomore
Ben Seymour, DL, Sophomore
Blake Hehl, DT, Sophomore

Kyle Rygg, DL, Junior (heard may not come back)

Tyson Regimbal, DL, RS Junior

I think it that it is a given that Grebe, Valdez, Seymour, Hehl, and Alston will see plenty of playing time. Also assume we will see some transfers.

Any thoughts?

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: 2022 Defensive Line

Post by BStinsMSU » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:27 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:25 pm
With apologies to those still in mourning over the 2021 team and the championship game (I know I still am), I'm highly curious about the defensive line this fall considering the losses of Benson, Williams, Hardy, and Rollins.

From the MSU roster site and the incoming signees, this is the list that I was able to pull together listing anything d-line related. Sorry in advance for any mistakes or omissions. Name, position, and current grade are from the MSU roster site below as well as the BN post on 2022 commitments.

Ethan Abbott, OL/DL, 2022 Commit
Logan Fredericksen, DE/LB, 2022 Commit
Jake Vigen, DE, 2022 Commit
Dylan Snyder, WR/DE/LB, 2022 Commit
Conner Moore, OT/DE, 2022 Commit

Brody Grebe, DE, Freshman
Zack Black, DL, Freshman
Sebastian Valdez, DL, Freshman
Paul Brott, DL, Freshman
Trey Yates, DL, Freshman

Blake Schmidt, DL, RS Freshman
Marcus Wehr, DL, RS Freshman
Tua Areta, DT, RS Freshman

David Alston, DE, Sophomore
Ben Seymour, DL, Sophomore
Blake Hehl, DT, Sophomore

Kyle Rygg, DL, Junior (heard may not come back)

Tyson Regimbal, DL, RS Junior

I think it that it is a given that Grebe, Valdez, Seymour, Hehl, and Alston will see plenty of playing time. Also assume we will see some transfers.

Any thoughts?
I think Regimbal will be a real impact player if he’s healthy. I think we’re set on the edge. Guys like valdez and Grebe made some great impacts on the edge. Curious as to what our interior looks like especially keeping in mind how we got man handled last weekend.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:34 pm

Also curious what they’ll do with Eiden, listed as LB but wondering if he’ll drop down to the line

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:06 pm

I would assume we see a big drop off next year with this group..... but we have literally said that every year for the last 5 years... and not only has it not dropped off, but every year it has improved.

Sooo, who knows. I think it’s as much talent as we have had in that room in a long time, but majority of those guys are freshman or sophomores.

I think Grebe and Valdez have the potential to be all-time greats by the time it’s all said and done. That duo is going to be very, VERY GOOD the next couple years.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:08 pm

Aaron Gerle grayshirted and should be here this spring?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:28 pm

In 2016 Chase Benson came in as a 240lb freshman. He's now listed at 290, over 50 lbs heavier. One of the things Choate set up was to get a dietitian on staff to help the guys gain effective weight. But after Chase the size/strength started to fall off. There are a few guys that could get there

Valdez, Fr. is listed at 251
Blake Schmidt, Fr. listed at 280
Blake Hehl Jr listed at 270

Other guys will play as well but you'd like to get the 2 Blake's get to Bensons 290. Valdez as true Fr. should be able to put 15 to 20 on. I think a Regimbal, Paul Brott or Trey Yates could build depth but those first 3 will probably make up the bulk of the snaps. Our DL rests on the shoulders of those 3 hitting the gym and eating the fridge.

*weights from last 2-deep not roster

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:33 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:08 pm
Correct - got to talk with him at Frisco. He’s stoked to be a Cat.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:54 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:28 pm
In 2016 Chase Benson came in as a 240lb freshman. He's now listed at 290, over 50 lbs heavier. One of the things Choate set up was to get a dietitian on staff to help the guys gain effective weight. But after Chase the size/strength started to fall off. There are a few guys that could get there

Valdez, Fr. is listed at 251
Blake Schmidt, Fr. listed at 280
Blake Hehl Jr listed at 270

Other guys will play as well but you'd like to get the 2 Blake's get to Bensons 290. Valdez as true Fr. should be able to put 15 to 20 on. I think a Regimbal, Paul Brott or Trey Yates could build depth but those first 3 will probably make up the bulk of the snaps. Our DL rests on the shoulders of those 3 hitting the gym and eating the fridge.

*weights from last 2-deep not roster
If the weights posted are correct (You never know) then:

Valdez came into fall at 260 and went down 10 lbs. Maybe he did not like his quickness at 260 or maybe he was sick for awhile. Don't know.
Schmidt has been in the program 3 years and added a total of 10 lbs. (At his height this may be his max weight to be affective)
Hehl (by his own admission) added a lot of weight real fast before the season and may have to let his body adjust to his weight for awhile.

D-Linemen have to balance speed, quickness, size and strength. That is why it is so tough to find large, fast D-linemen. How many have we had in the last 15 years. Minter, Benson, ??? When Dan Ogden came into the program years back he played a lot as a freshman at 260. Second year also 260, third year 270 and I thought finally he is going to add some bulk. 4th year; 260. He must not of liked his performance at 270. If players are 290 and fast or quick and talented they play for Michigan. If they are 260 and quick and fast they play for MSU.um has the same problem. We have had a few 290 - 300 lbs. interior D-linemen but none I could think of were all American types or first team all big sky for that matter.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

imacat

Post by imacat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:11 pm

It is a fine line. It is possible the extra weight contributed to Chase’s back issues. I have had former players tell me they dropped weight because of back pain.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:30 pm

imacat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:11 pm
It is a fine line. It is possible the extra weight contributed to Chase’s back issues. I have had former players tell me they dropped weight because of back pain.
Weight and colliding with 300 plus pound linemen in practice and games will probably have an affect on your back.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:30 pm
imacat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:11 pm
Weight and colliding with 300 plus pound linemen in practice and games will probably have an affect on your back.
Chase's issue was/is a groin, but yes. Bodies are not meant to be that large and add on violent collisions...can't be good on anything.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:33 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat next to him at the game. Stoked to be a Bobcat is the truth! I predict big things from that kid.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:20 pm

If Rygg doesn’t come back, they’ll need a transfer or tri on the interior. They need to be bigger and stronger there. NDSU manhandled us.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 pm

Dmsubrew wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat next to him at the game. Stoked to be a Bobcat is the truth! I predict big things from that kid.

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... 246b2.html

canyoncat

Post by canyoncat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:35 pm

What about Areta? Saw some good things from him in fall camp, then he disapeared. Thought I saw him on the sidlines in Frisco on crutches. I wouldn't think he needs to play 40 snaps a game, but 20 - 25 would be great.

GO CATS!!!

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:56 pm

Seems like there's a thread about this every year. Obviously it really hurts to lose a batch of guys like that. But thats all normal for college football, especially a position like D-Line. There aren't many 280lb guys that can move coming out of high school, especially committing to FCS.

Usually (obviously there are exceptions) it takes at least 2, maybe 3 years on campus working with nutrition & in the weight room to get an 18 year old ready to play on the lines in FCS. I'd expect to see a couple of those RS freshmen really turn a corner next year (or maybe they already did, but weren't quite ready to crack what was a really solid rotation).

Of course, I also have zero doubt that the coaches are looking for JCs & in the transfer portal for any talent...either a starter or a rotational piece. While obviously there are needs...I'm also not terribly concerned that we are going to have to move Ortt or O'Reilly to rush end.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:09 pm

I trust a schools listed weight of players as much as I trust the CDC with their numbers. That being said for 15yrs gtapp has been one of the first to comment on a players weight when it sounds excessive. I’m sure he’ll chime in to correct me in some fashion but basically he’ll say X pounds isn’t good weight and that’s too much or blah blah blah.

My point is that the roster might ‘say’ 245 and someone who actually knows the kid might know that the true weight (from the kids own mouth) could be 254. Now that kid works out, puts on 10-12 pounds and then that next fall the roster will say X player is 270 and gtapp will lose his mind. I don’t trust listed weights on a roster.

All I know about our DL is after that manhandling last weekend, we need to be bigger, faster, and stronger. And that’s the bottom line from beachside in Kona and a slew of ‘paralyzers’.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:30 pm

MSU will have a very good DL again next year. Alston, Seymour, Valdez, Grebe, Hehl, Schmidt. Paul Brott is going to be very good. Probably add a few transfers for depth. Great group. I'm not especially worried about any position group.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:24 am

Super early stab at the whole roster:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:45 am

Common Cat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
He was one of the 2021 signees that I was disappointed I didn't see on the roster. I assumed he backed out of his NLI. Went and looked at his twitter and saw he is still completely onboard with the Bobcats, liking and retweeting many of the articles and content produced for the team. Really looking forward to see what he can do in the years to come.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if they let go of Tua Areta. He was a project for the team and many of us had high hopes for him being a big anchor on the dline, but he didn't see the field even in garbage time during games and has been hurt/injured quite often, too. Neither of those is a good sign.
Last edited by Team10 on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.