2022 Defensive Line

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: 2022 Defensive Line

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:07 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:26 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:52 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:13 pm
Grebe is an edge. He won’t be moving.
Why?
Because he’s a very good pass rusher, which generally, is more valuable than an off ball LB. Why move him?
Not quite sure why we would move our best DE/Edge player to LB where he would be the 4th or 5th best option (Callahan, Nolan, Danny U, and even Alex J. play a better LB at this point in this defense). Brody is going to be our Daniel Hardy for the next three years.
Well you guys are probably right but just challenging the assumptions. He did great in a specialized role as a pass rusher this season. Not sure that I saw a dominant edge effective against the run game but, with that being said, he possibly could grow into that role. He needs to be on the field more than on pass rush situations with his athleticism and speed. He is the type of kid that will work his hind end off in whatever position coaches elect to use him.

And the comment is not that far out…remember he was recruited as a linebacker and possible two way player getting snaps as a wildcat QB. Brody even mentions in one presser he actually took some snaps in practice earlier in the year….that was pre-Tommy emergence. Even Vigen talked earlier in the year that we might see Brody playing some LB. We do have a good cadre of LB but who says with his speed and smarts Grebe wouldn’t even upgrade that room. And who said an outside LB can’t be an effective pass rusher….Von Miller averages 10 sacks per year from that position. I wonder what Brody wants to play?

Anyway, you guys have all the wisdom here….and I trust the coach will make the right decision.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:15 pm

I’m intrigued by Alston and his height and speed. It will be interesting to see if he can bulk up a bit and be a Hardy-like player.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:18 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:07 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:32 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:26 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:52 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:13 pm
Grebe is an edge. He won’t be moving.
Why?
Because he’s a very good pass rusher, which generally, is more valuable than an off ball LB. Why move him?
Not quite sure why we would move our best DE/Edge player to LB where he would be the 4th or 5th best option (Callahan, Nolan, Danny U, and even Alex J. play a better LB at this point in this defense). Brody is going to be our Daniel Hardy for the next three years.
Well you guys are probably right but just challenging the assumptions. He did great in a specialized role as a pass rusher this season. Not sure that I saw a dominant edge effective against the run game but, with that being said, he possibly could grow into that role. He needs to be on the field more than on pass rush situations with his athleticism and speed. He is the type of kid that will work his hind end off in whatever position coaches elect to use him.

And the comment is not that far out…remember he was recruited as a linebacker and possible two way player getting snaps as a wildcat QB. Brody even mentions in one presser he actually took some snaps in practice earlier in the year….that was pre-Tommy emergence. Even Vigen talked earlier in the year that we might see Brody playing some LB. We do have a good cadre of LB but who says with his speed and smarts Grebe wouldn’t even upgrade that room. And who said an outside LB can’t be an effective pass rusher….Von Miller averages 10 sacks per year from that position. I wonder what Brody wants to play?

Anyway, you guys have all the wisdom here….and I trust the coach will make the right decision.
Von Miller is an edge who typically pass rushes from a 2 point stance, and very infrequently drops into coverage.

Brody Grebe is an edge who typically pass rushes from a 3 point stance, and very infrequently drops into coverage.

Outside of a few nuanced details, they play the same position. A LB in the 4-2-5 (which we run) is an off ball LB (OBLB). Grebe probably could play it because he’s a fantastic athlete, but why move your best pass rusher? It doesn’t make sense.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:15 pm
I’m intrigued by Alston and his height and speed. It will be interesting to see if he can bulk up a bit and be a Hardy-like player.
One of the reasons Hardy was able to bulk up as much as he did was the Covid offseason with no playing. Additionally, he had like two years of football before coming here, so he really didn’t spend any time developing his body for football.

It would be rather atypical to see a drop down from a fairy major program significantly bulk up here. He’s already put on roughly 20 lbs since leaving HS and is listed at 241. I’d love to see him around 255-260, but I’m not sure how likely that is at all. He isn’t gonna put on 15-20 lbs like Hardy did.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:05 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm
AFCAT wrote:
One of the reasons Hardy was able to bulk up as much as he did was the Covid offseason with no playing. Additionally, he had like two years of football before coming here, so he really didn’t spend any time developing his body for football.

It would be rather atypical to see a drop down from a fairy major program significantly bulk up here. He’s already put on roughly 20 lbs since leaving HS and is listed at 241. I’d love to see him around 255-260, but I’m not sure how likely that is at all. He isn’t gonna put on 15-20 lbs like Hardy did.
I don’t believe Hardy started really bulking up until he was asked to move to the dline when Vigen came in. https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 9fd97.html

Alston is only a sophomore, so he has plenty of time to improve.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:24 pm

AFCAT wrote:
After meeting his parents I have no doubt!!!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:38 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Does he have 2 or 3 years left? 2018 redshirt, 2019 no action (but that's one year, 2020 Covid year w no action, 2021 used a year here at MSU. 2 more years w/ a medical redshirt still available?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:21 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:38 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Does he have 2 or 3 years left? 2018 redshirt, 2019 no action (but that's one year, 2020 Covid year w no action, 2021 used a year here at MSU. 2 more years w/ a medical redshirt still available?
I think you answered the question.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Me too. He made two big plays vs EWU. I think a lot of the DL will add size and strength. The whole DL is intriguing. Really liked listening to Hardy talk about them after the playoff games. He was a great mentor.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:06 pm

MSU allowed 20 points (24 below average) to the No. 2 scoring team (EWU) in the nation, 19 points (22 below average) to the No. 3 scoring team (SHSU) in the nation, and 17 points to the No. 10 scoring team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 38 (4 above average) to the No. 12 scoring team (NDSU) in the nation.

MSU allowed 79 yards (149 below avg./2.3 ypc) to the No. 6 rushing team (SHSU) in the nation, 124 (88 below avg./3.8') to the the No. 9 rushing team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 380 (100 over average; 7.6) to the No. 2 rushing team (NDSU) in the nation.

Yeah, yeah, I know NDSU has an awesome offensive line, but are they really that much better than SDSU and SHSU. The SDSU line was pretty imposing looking and they seemed to be having their way early. Shut down SHSU all game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AZBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by AZBobcat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:57 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:30 pm
MSU will have a very good DL again next year. Alston, Seymour, Valdez, Grebe, Hehl, Schmidt. Paul Brott is going to be very good. Probably add a few transfers for depth. Great group. I'm not especially worried about any position group.
You forgot about Aaron Gerle. Spring 2022 transfer in. Was recruited by Choate and tore ACL senior year. Rehabbed and ready to get it on for the Bobcat Nation. https://www.hudl.com/profile/9686059/Aaron-Gerle

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:06 pm
MSU allowed 20 points (24 below average) to the No. 2 scoring team (EWU) in the nation, 19 points (22 below average) to the No. 3 scoring team (SHSU) in the nation, and 17 points to the No. 10 scoring team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 38 (4 above average) to the No. 12 scoring team (NDSU) in the nation.

MSU allowed 79 yards (149 below avg./2.3 ypc) to the No. 6 rushing team (SHSU) in the nation, 124 (88 below avg./3.8') to the the No. 9 rushing team (SDSU) in the nation, but allowed 380 (100 over average; 7.6) to the No. 2 rushing team (NDSU) in the nation.

Yeah, yeah, I know NDSU has an awesome offensive line, but are they really that much better than SDSU and SHSU. The SDSU line was pretty imposing looking and they seemed to be having their way early. Shut down SHSU all game.
The Griz were the #39 scoring team...and they scored exactly their average. Humphry threw 13/22 for 220. Pretty decent day. Gave up 3 yards per carry to a not great UM running team.

Was the UM O-line better than SHSU or SDSU? No way...but there were some matchup issues, a couple blown plays, and, generally a pretty terrible day for the Cat D. Sometimes as a team, the guys just have a bad day. Sucks when its on national TV. (The answer is a resounding "No, NDSU isn't THAT much better than those other teams")