Season Tickets

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Season Tickets

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:22 pm

Renewed all of my season tix tonight. Still crossing my fingers they’d listen to my brilliant idea and let people who wanted to pay extra get physical tix like the olden days.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:51 pm

Reminds me of an article Greg Rachac wrote when money was being raised for the Sonny Holland end zone project. He said it was an unnecessary waste of money and if it went forward the Cats would be playing in a half empty stadium for every game except Cat - gris.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:12 am

The prices for NDSU must be some of the reason that several of the people I talked to in Frisco said they haven’t had season tickets for the last 3-5 years. They said they typically go to one or two playoff games and the NC. I watched a couple home games this year and their fans don’t even watch the game. Why would you spend $3k to sit on your phone during a football game? Sure hope our prices never get to that level.

Punters are people too!!

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:43 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:12 am
The prices for NDSU must be some of the reason that several of the people I talked to in Frisco said they haven’t had season tickets for the last 3-5 years. They said they typically go to one or two playoff games and the NC. I watched a couple home games this year and their fans don’t even watch the game. Why would you spend $3k to sit on your phone during a football game? Sure hope our prices never get to that level.
Supply and demand. Fargo metro population is a quarter million. Winning program, bigger population, high demand, high prices. From what we heard from a Bison poster, that cash really helps their program.

MSU needs:
IPF
Added capacity/new East Side
Cost of attendance.

Season tickets are now hard to obtain and every home game sold out this year. While I love the bargain I'm getting, it is time to raise ticket prices some.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:10 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:43 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Supply and demand. Fargo metro population is a quarter million. Winning program, bigger population, high demand, high prices. From what we heard from a Bison poster, that cash really helps their program.

MSU needs:
IPF
Cost of attendance.

Season tickets are now hard to obtain and every home game sold out this year. While I love the bargain I'm getting, it is time to raise ticket prices some.
I'll be paying $105.00 a game per seat this up coming season. Hate to break the news to ya. I pay enough.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:20 am

Now all we need is for the 3rd Qtr. police brigade to join this conversation and then we all will be better off.

If your left, you aren’t right.

js1010
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by js1010 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:11 am

rivercat wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

MSU needs:
IPF
Cost of attendance.

I agree, it is a supply and demand issue. However, one advantage we have over the Fargo Dome is we can increase supply. If Demand is really outpacing supply to the point that prices reach that of NDSU's then its time to build on to the stadium and add a few thousand seats.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:32 am

js1010 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:11 am
rivercat wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:

MSU needs:
IPF
Cost of attendance.

I agree, it is a supply and demand issue. However, one advantage we have over the Fargo Dome is we can increase supply. If Demand is really outpacing supply to the point that prices reach that of NDSU's then its time to build on to the stadium and add a few thousand seats.
Agree. Needs to be 25k.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:55 am

It's not an either or, its both. Capacity and price increase.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:01 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:55 am
It's not an either or, its both. Capacity and price increase.
Unfortunately this is reality however, when capacity increases the new areas should be able to keep prices reasonable so that those that have been buying tickets for 15+ years can still attend even if it’s in different seats

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:32 pm

Just my perspective: been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years, and attending games faithfully since the mid-80s. I remember a time $5 could get you through the gates, and sometimes you could go for free when people were giving tickets away during a certain coach's tenure (He who shall not be named). I like where prices are at currently, and I like the fact the school has tied membership into the Bobcat Club with season tickets. I've also written checks (nothing significant) to many of the previous stadium expansion projects.

I don't mind the average raise in ticket prices from time to time. Economically, it's necessary. But I think one thing that gets overlooked is that many season ticket holders reside outside the Gallatin Valley. The cost of attending Bobcat football games comes with additional expenses - gas/flights, lodging, meals, etc. These expenses have all increased rapidly, especially in Bozeman. I can't imagine what the total cost is that I have shelled out over the past 30 years to watch Bobcat football. Again, I am not complaining; just making an observation.

Right now, I am about at the top of my spending limits when you start adding up the total costs of attending 6 season home games, and then throw in 2-3 playoff games. This year was the first season in a loooooong time that I actually missed a game, due to previous commitments. But unfortunately, I have to evaluate these expenses as it appears the cost of living overall is outpacing my current income level. While the community of Bozeman is growing rapidly, it will be many, many years before Bobcat football will be able to rely solely on "local" attendance to fill the stadium. Montana is a big state, and the program will continue to be dependent on drawing a fanbase that has to put many miles under their belt to get to Bozeman. MSU would be wise to make sure they keep all the additional expenses that Bobcat football fans incur in mind when evaluating ticket prices.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:38 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:32 pm
Just my perspective: been a season ticket holder for nearly 20 years, and attending games faithfully since the mid-80s. I remember a time $5 could get you through the gates, and sometimes you could go for free when people were giving tickets away during a certain coach's tenure (He who shall not be named). I like where prices are at currently, and I like the fact the school has tied membership into the Bobcat Club with season tickets. I've also written checks (nothing significant) to many of the previous stadium expansion projects.

I don't mind the average raise in ticket prices from time to time. Economically, it's necessary. But I think one thing that gets overlooked is that many season ticket holders reside outside the Gallatin Valley. The cost of attending Bobcat football games comes with additional expenses - gas/flights, lodging, meals, etc. These expenses have all increased rapidly, especially in Bozeman. I can't imagine what the total cost is that I have shelled out over the past 30 years to watch Bobcat football. Again, I am not complaining; just making an observation.

Right now, I am about at the top of my spending limits when you start adding up the total costs of attending 6 season home games, and then throw in 2-3 playoff games. This year was the first season in a loooooong time that I actually missed a game, due to previous commitments. But unfortunately, I have to evaluate these expenses as it appears the cost of living overall is outpacing my current income level. While the community of Bozeman is growing rapidly, it will be many, many years before Bobcat football will be able to rely solely on "local" attendance to fill the stadium. Montana is a big state, and the program will continue to be dependent on drawing a fanbase that has to put many miles under their belt to get to Bozeman. MSU would be wise to make sure they keep all the additional expenses that Bobcat football fans incur in mind when evaluating ticket prices.
Yeah...that's the tricky part. Should the athletic dept use strictly supply/demand when setting prices? Or are there other factors like families, travel expenses, etc?

It's definitely a fine line to walk. I'm sure a program wants to maximize revenues so they can enhance facilities, pay their coaches a wage to live in the gallatin valley, increase recruiting budget, etc., etc., etc. But all without alienating a loyal fan base. It's a tricky position to be in.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:12 pm

Camo_Cat wrote:

Camo Cat, is 100% right. I live six blocks from Reno H. Sales Stadium. " That's it's name and it never should of been changed." It's easy for me to go to games. The amount of people who come from out of town is large. A lot of time and money to get here. Start jacking the price and you'll see a drop in those numbers. We've had season tickets since 1973, when I was a kid. I've seen a lot of up and down in crowd numbers. The downs when I couldn't give tickets away. Ups, when friends are always wanting a ticket if you have any extras. Like last season. How many of the new fans are going to be in the stands and paying crazy money, when we have some down years? Fair weather fans are just that. Don't go pricing out the true die hard fans that have gone through the ups and downs of Bobcat Football. All you have to do is look at Bobcat Basketball attendance numbers, to see how fast things can go to crap.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:14 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:12 pm
Camo_Cat wrote:

Camo Cat, is 100% right. I live six blocks from Reno H. Sales Stadium. " That's it's name and it never should of been changed." It's easy for me to go to games. The amount of people who come from out of town is large. A lot of time and money to get here. Start jacking the price and you'll see a drop in those numbers. We've had season tickets since 1973, when I was a kid. I've seen a lot of up and down in crowd numbers. The downs when I couldn't give tickets away. Ups, when friends are always wanting a ticket if you have any extras. Like last season. How many of the new fans are going to be in the stands and paying crazy money, when we have some down years? Fair weather fans are just that. Don't go pricing out the true die hard fans that have gone through the ups and downs of Bobcat Football. All you have to do is look at Bobcat Basketball attendance numbers, to see how fast things can go to crap.
I agree 100%. Wait until there is some more consistency in winning playoff games. Without Troy!

2024 Resume dominance

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:16 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:14 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

I agree 100%. Wait until there is some more consistency in winning playoff games. Without Troy!
Maybe we get TA and Hardy to contribute their signing bonuses to the IPF....

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:49 am

Helcat72 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Seriously? How many years of playoffs is enough? Do you really think that now Troy has graduated the Cats won't be good?

I think it is not unreasonable to think that one of the top FCS schools in every facet will be a top 5 team every year. I believe those are the expectations from Pres Cruzado down.

Last year the average attendance pushed 20K in a stadium with 17,777 capacity. Season tickets arent available to all willing to buy them. If MSU doesn't ride this wave of success in all sports and move the facilities plan forward, I believe it will be huge missed opportunity.

Replacing the East Side Bleachers is becoming a must. How many people slipped and fell during the SDSU game? My 80 mother in law is damn sure footed but I had ahold of her arm every step.

And if you're going to replace them, they have to build them bigger to increase revenue and to grow the fan base. The way to make the athletic programs stronger is to increase the number of people that care about them.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:58 am

rivercat wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:49 am
Helcat72 wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Camo_Cat wrote:

Seriously? How many years of playoffs is enough? Do you really think that now Troy has graduated the Cats won't be good?

I think it is not unreasonable to think that one of the top FCS schools in every facet will be a top 5 team every year. I believe those are the expectations from Pres Cruzado down.

Last year the average attendance pushed 20K in a stadium with 17,777 capacity. Season tickets arent available to all willing to buy them. If MSU doesn't ride this wave of success in all sports and move the facilities plan forward, I believe it will be huge missed opportunity.

Replacing the East Side Bleachers is becoming a must. How many people slipped and fell during the SDSU game? My 80 mother in law is damn sure footed but I had ahold of her arm every step.

And if you're going to replace them, they have to build them bigger to increase revenue and to grow the fan base. The way to make the athletic programs stronger is to increase the number of people that care about them.
+1...strike while there's a lot of support and momentum around the team.

bcats

Post by bcats » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:26 am

MSU has had steady increase in the amount of attendance and ticket sales. They have increased the price accordingly and are still selling out. The campus, academics, athletics, and general population of Bozeman and surrounding area are experiencing growth and success like never before. We got priced out of our season tickets a few years ago but also because of our own kids growing and experiencing their own activities on Saturdays. It didn’t make much sense to keep them living in Billings when we couldn’t make most of the games anymore. Now that we live in Glasgow it would make even less sense. But that hasn’t stopped us from making plans and going to games when we can. We just have seats wherever we can get them and that’s never been a problem finding tickets. It is true that MSU relies heavily on people traveling from all over but as the local area grows more of them will pick up season tickets and more of us will support when we can and how we can. It’s good for the school to capitalize on the success and growth of the program and school when they can. There will come a time when it’s not so easy to do so. That is why I think it’s imperative to get the athletic plan pushed through as quickly as possible because we never know what the economic future will hold in the area. Seems right now it’s as hot as it’s ever been and to keep the momentum going the time must be now to keep building and growing.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jimmy V

Just my opinion-- Byron Stulc

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:21 pm

I know fans of big time college teams, like the Georgia Bulldogs, that have never even been to the teams state let alone saw a game in person. Even with the growth in the Bozeman area and Montana, do the Cats gain fans that just move into the area and don’t have a connection to the university like most of us do? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I don’t know of anyone that has moved here and just starts following the Cats. Excluding former players and their families, every Cat fan that I know of has been a fan since birth or a young age or since going to school at MSU

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:37 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:21 pm
I know fans of big time college teams, like the Georgia Bulldogs, that have never even been to the teams state let alone saw a game in person. Even with the growth in the Bozeman area and Montana, do the Cats gain fans that just move into the area and don’t have a connection to the university like most of us do? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but I don’t know of anyone that has moved here and just starts following the Cats. Excluding former players and their families, every Cat fan that I know of has been a fan since birth or a young age or since going to school at MSU
I have talked to a handful of folks who moved to the area and enjoy cheering for the cats/ going to games, I think there are probably more of these fans than you think. Not sure that any of these turn into donors, but certainly good for ticket sales.