2022 Regular Season Prediction Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2022 Regular Season Prediction Thread

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:05 pm

After our performance in the semis what are our chances at GameDay?

What game(s) do you predict will be picked up by ESPN tv?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:14 pm

A couple follow up points to some of the posts. Regarding the comment about playing at NAU "always" being tough, I'll dispute that. I remember back in the Kramer era we had not beaten them in Flagstaff in forever... went down there and I think we literally beat them by like 60 or 70 points or something stupid like that.

Secondly, regarding the Oregon State game... I wonder what the score would have been in Frisco if NDSU had played them instead of MSU? My guess is, 28 to 13, NDSU.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:28 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:05 pm

I'll say gameday in Bozeman for Cat/Gris if we're both top 10. The Weber game at home on ESPN2 or U.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:28 pm
coloradocat wrote:

I'll say gameday in Bozeman for Cat/Gris if we're both top 10. The Weber game at home on ESPN2 or U.
I still think Cat/gris will always be a longshot based on where it falls on the calendar but between the big push for last year's game and the great presentation of the SDSU game I think we might have a shot. Both teams should easily be in the top 10 unless something goes horribly wrong.

After the defensive battle against Weber last season I doubt ESPN picks that game up. Especially with Weber bringing back even less firepower than they had before.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:29 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:34 am
kwcat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:18 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am
Honestly EWU should be down next year. History says the next guy is as good or better than the last at QB but I think it will be a bit of a rebuilding year for them. We get Weber at home who's lost a lot of talent as well, NAU at walkup skydome is always iffy. We might drop a game but really by all accounts we should be 9-1 (loss to OSU) going into Cat/gris.

There is an Air Force Cat and an AFCAT on BN. I chose AFCAT before I knew there was an Air Force Cat, but he was here first. Anyway, I’m guessing you are writing about me. Just upload your photo at postimages.org. Copy the second link they provide, the direct link, click on the img icon (looks like a mountain silhouette), and post the link between the two “img”.
Thanks AFCAT

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:11 am

Oregon State was 3-5 in their final 8 games and this game will be played up in Portland at PGE. We should be 2-0 and bursting with confidence, and Cat fans will work hard to pack that place. I wouldn't necessarily bet the Cats on a push line, but yeah, I absolutely think we can win that game. I'll be there to help make sure of it.

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:11 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:00 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I still think Cat/gris will always be a longshot based on where it falls on the calendar but between the big push for last year's game and the great presentation of the SDSU game I think we might have a shot. Both teams should easily be in the top 10 unless something goes horribly wrong.

After the defensive battle against Weber last season I doubt ESPN picks that game up. Especially with Weber bringing back even less firepower than they had before.
Has anyone looked at Weber’s schedule next year? Talk about brutal…they play now an FBS JMU team and then FBS Utah State and then their conference schedule includes every playoff team from this year (MSU UM EWU sac state and UC Davis).

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:11 pm

Tommy makes this team something different. We got to see that in the playoffs. We win out and roll into the playoffs with the top seed.

Oregon State is the game where we all believe and I pull this prediction out and start another classless “told you so” thread \:D/

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:11 pm
Tommy makes this team something different. We got to see that in the playoffs. We win out and roll into the playoffs with the top seed.

Oregon State is the game where we all believe and I pull this prediction out and start another classless “told you so” thread \:D/
Cats need to make it a point to use its depth. I don’t see ifanse making it through a full season running the ball 280 times again next year and same goes for Mellot. In four games he ran it 113 times which was almost doubled what RB2 Elliot had all season (62).

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:08 am

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 am
utucats wrote:

Cats need to make it a point to use its depth. I don’t see ifanse making it through a full season running the ball 280 times again next year and same goes for Mellot. In four games he ran it 113 times which was almost doubled what RB2 Elliot had all season (62).
For what we touted as a deep running back room, sure looked thin this year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 am

MSU is tough to bet against. I'd say 90% 10-1; 10% 11-0. Oregon State was 7-6 last year. That game isn't unwinnable. They were better than Wyoming last year. Toughest game aside from OSU is UM, but that is a home game and MSU has won around 12-13 straight at home.

Probably won't be as good on defense, but I don't see a huge drop off with guys like Danny U, Grebe, Ortt and the DL depth keeping things mostly intact.

Definitely better on offense compared to the entire season. Perhaps not as good as the first two playoff games (w/Ifanse). Better than the SDSU (w/o Ifanse) and NDSU (w/o Mellott) playoff games.

The QB position is going to be very good. Not just statistically, but Tommy is such a clutch, smart player. His plays vs. Idaho were crucial and he did a lot of that on his own.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 am
MSU is tough to bet against. I'd say 90% 10-1; 10% 11-0. Oregon State was 7-6 last year. That game isn't unwinnable. They were better than Wyoming last year. Toughest game aside from OSU is UM, but that is a home game and MSU has won around 12-13 straight at home.

Probably won't be as good on defense, but I don't see a huge drop off with guys like Danny U, Grebe, Ortt and the DL depth keeping things mostly intact.

Definitely better on offense compared to the entire season. Perhaps not as good as the first two playoff games (w/Ifanse). Better than the SDSU (w/o Ifanse) and NDSU (w/o Mellott) playoff games.

The QB position is going to be very good. Not just statistically, but Tommy is such a clutch, smart player. His plays vs. Idaho were crucial and he did a lot of that on his own.
I agree with everything here, although I think it's entirely possible we get better on defense. Ya, it makes no sense but I've been saying we'll probably take a step back on defense for like 5 or 6 years in a row (Especially DL), and some how they've literally gotten BETTER, each and every year. I think just the fact that Vigen is now established and wil be running the show for the second year, will cause this. Might not have a high draft round player on the D, but the overall defensive team quality and depth might be better. I'm sure there will be some new absolute studs coming in as well.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:12 am

utucats wrote:

Even if we lose to OSU I think we get a 1 or 2 seed. MSU is head and shoulders above the rest of the BSC. Everyone in the conference has major flaws. MSU is solid in every phase.

The best thing that happened for MSU was Reimer getting starts. With him and Session at OT, Sain and Redd at OG, Perkins at C (at a minimum cuz someone like Kittles or Fleischman could beat one of them out) it’s going to be a roll fest every week with TT at QB. I bet we average 40-45 ppg.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 am

catatac wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

I agree with everything here, although I think it's entirely possible we get better on defense. Ya, it makes no sense but I've been saying we'll probably take a step back on defense for like 5 or 6 years in a row (Especially DL), and some how they've literally gotten BETTER, each and every year. I think just the fact that Vigen is now established and wil be running the show for the second year, will cause this. Might not have a high draft round player on the D, but the overall defensive team quality and depth might be better. I'm sure there will be some new absolute studs coming in as well.
If you’ve been saying we take a step back and we get better, would you mind predicting like two steps back for 2022?

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:11 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Glancing at the slate that weekend, I'd say OU v OKST gets Gameday...that or Austin Peay v Alabama.

As for the Cats season, we take a huge step forward offensively w/ improved QB play, whoever that is. If Chambers ends up being better than Tommy, the O will be unstoppable. W/ Tommy, it's already pretty close to that. We're surely taking a step back defensively. Losing the talent we lost, including our DC, it's going to be tough to match that production.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:14 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 am
catatac wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:15 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

If you’ve been saying we take a step back and we get better, would you mind predicting like two steps back for 2022?
Lol, sure! :)

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:17 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:11 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Glancing at the slate that weekend, I'd say OU v OKST gets Gameday...that or Austin Peay v Alabama.

As for the Cats season, we take a huge step forward offensively w/ improved QB play, whoever that is. If Chambers ends up being better than Tommy, the O will be unstoppable. W/ Tommy, it's already pretty close to that. We're surely taking a step back defensively. Losing the talent we lost, including our DC, it's going to be tough to match that production.
I thought there was no way we'd replace Brayden Konkol, Jahque Alleyne, JoJo Henderson, Bryce Sterk, Greg Filer, Damien Washington, Josh Hill and Derek Marks but we got somehow even better. And we hired a young inexperienced DC to replace a Bobcat legend, both as a player and a coach.

Not saying we won't take a step back, seems almost impossible we won't but I've been wrong before. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:22 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:17 pm
ND0479 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I thought there was no way we'd replace Brayden Konkol, Jahque Alleyne, JoJo Henderson, Bryce Sterk, Greg Filer, Damien Washington, Josh Hill and Derek Marks but we got somehow even better. And we hired a young inexperienced DC to replace a Bobcat legend, both as a player and a coach.

Not saying we won't take a step back, seems almost impossible we won't but I've been wrong before. :lol:
Exactly! I'm in the same boat. Realistically it's hard for me to look at who we lose and say we'll be better in 2022 but it is crazy how we just seem to get better and better on defense every year for about the past five years. Will be interesting to look at the stats after 2022 in terms of yards and points allowed, YPC, etc... and see how they compared to 2021.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:17 pm
ND0479 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

It's just that none of those guys are named Troy Andersen. Just going to have to replace his production collectively.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:54 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:52 pm
It's just that none of those guys are named Troy Andersen. Just going to have to replace his production collectively.
I'm like you in how do you replace TA. One thing I fall back on is that in 2019, the Cats manhandled the gris as well as beat AP and Albany without him (please don't bring up NDSU...). Gives me some faith that in a collective effort.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.