2022 Regular Season Prediction Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

2022 Regular Season Prediction Thread

Post by catatac » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:06 am

I didn't see one of these posted yet so figured I'd start it. Can we beat Oregon State? Probably not, but who knows. At this point I'd guess we end up at 9-2 again, but probably a decent chance at ending 10-1. Assuming we start the season ranked #2, this will put us as a top four seed, or very possibly in the top 2..l hope throughout the playoffs. Depending on bracketing, obviously want to get NDSU at home, or meet them again in Frisco. Unless we figure out how to manufacture a dominant OL with multiple NFL players on it, and also bolster the interior DL... NDSU will control us again. I'm hopeful.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2022 Regular Season Prediction Thread

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:14 am

Do we know the schedule yet?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:14 am
Do we know the schedule yet?
https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/schedule/2022

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BgCATfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BgCATfan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:47 am

I still don't get the Eastern game. Makes no sense.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:06 am
I didn't see one of these posted yet so figured I'd start it. Can we beat Oregon State? Probably not, but who knows. At this point I'd guess we end up at 9-2 again, but probably a decent chance at ending 10-1. Assuming we start the season ranked #2, this will put us as a top four seed, or very possibly in the top 2..l hope throughout the playoffs. Depending on bracketing, obviously want to get NDSU at home, or meet them again in Frisco. Unless we figure out how to manufacture a dominant OL with multiple NFL players on it, and also bolster the interior DL... NDSU will control us again. I'm hopeful.
The Bison have never lost in Frisco. They have lost playoffs in the Fargo Dome. The home crowd would factor but i'd almost rather play them on the turf in the dome than the grass at Frisco.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am

Honestly EWU should be down next year. History says the next guy is as good or better than the last at QB but I think it will be a bit of a rebuilding year for them. We get Weber at home who's lost a lot of talent as well, NAU at walkup skydome is always iffy. We might drop a game but really by all accounts we should be 9-1 (loss to OSU) going into Cat/gris.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am

D
Last edited by kwcat on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:18 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am
Honestly EWU should be down next year. History says the next guy is as good or better than the last at QB but I think it will be a bit of a rebuilding year for them. We get Weber at home who's lost a lot of talent as well, NAU at walkup skydome is always iffy. We might drop a game but really by all accounts we should be 9-1 (loss to OSU) going into Cat/gris.
[/quote
Last edited by kwcat on Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:51 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:06 am
Beating an Oregon State team 3rd game of the year might be a lot tougher than surprising a Pac12 team early in the year.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 am

I like the schedule...... can someone explain why we are plying AT eastern Washington again??? Wtf.

On the road at NAU is always tough no matter what.

Like others have said though, we should be able to get through this schedule with only 2 losses, maybe even 1 loss... who knows though, it’s super early to be able to make any accurate predictions.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:28 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 am
I like the schedule...... can someone explain why we are plying AT eastern Washington again??? Wtf.

Like others have said though, we should be able to get through this schedule with only 2 losses, maybe even 1 loss... who knows though, it’s super early to be able to make any accurate predictions.
The at EWU thing is a bit of a head scratcher. The only guess I can come up with is that in the original schedules we would have been @SUU with EWU not on the schedule and with SUU leaving that forced EWU back into our rotation for next year. :shrug:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:34 am

kwcat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:18 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am
According to the schedule we don’t play Missoula community college next year. They’re so good they come here to play them selves!
I know Air Force cat has posted it a couple of times but I need to figure out how to post pictures on here with a screenshot
There is an Air Force Cat and an AFCAT on BN. I chose AFCAT before I knew there was an Air Force Cat, but he was here first. Anyway, I’m guessing you are writing about me. Just upload your photo at postimages.org. Copy the second link they provide, the direct link, click on the img icon (looks like a mountain silhouette), and post the link between the two “img”.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm

kmax wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:28 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:25 am

The at EWU thing is a bit of a head scratcher. The only guess I can come up with is that in the original schedules we would have been @SUU with EWU not on the schedule and with SUU leaving that forced EWU back into our rotation for next year. :shrug:
Yeah, probably just an unfortunate necessity due to Covid and SUU leaving the conference. MSU also played/plays Idaho State at home in both '21 and '22.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:32 pm

This is way way way too early to be thinking about this because our roster is nowhere near complete but sure why not:

9/3 - McNeese State - W
9/10 - Morehead State - W
9/17 - @Oregon State - L
9/24 - @EWU - L
10/1 - UCD - W
10/8 - ISU - W
10/15 - @UNC - W
10/22 - Weber - W
11/5 - @NAU - W
11/12 - @CP - W
11/19 - UM - W (always pick a W here I've decided)

9-2 and because the 2 losses are in the beginning of the season I think we get like a 3-4 seed.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:15 pm

9/3 - McNeese State - W
9/10 - Morehead State - W
9/17 - @Oregon State - L
9/24 - @EWU - W
10/1 - UCD - W
10/8 - ISU - W
10/15 - @UNC - W
10/22 - Weber - W
11/5 - @NAU - L
11/12 - @CP - W
11/19 - UM - W

9-2 prediction
2 losses may come in the form of:
OSU and 1 of: EWU/NAU/CP - just thinking one loss on the road - Oregon State is good, but you never know - wouldn't it be nice to finally take down a Pac-12 team? Most of those upsets, however, occur on opening day, as it did for the griz - OSU will have 2 tough games before we play them - Boise State and Fresno State, which takes away our sneak attack advantage IMO

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 pm

I like us at 9-1 going into the Brawl. Handle business there and get a top two seed. Lose that one and suddenly I think we're a 4-5 seed.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:58 pm

I don't see us losing an FCS game before Cat/gris.

We play @EWU but their offense should be less explosive next year. We play @NAU but that game is after the bye week so we should be rested and ready. There shouldn't be any question about the other games. Cat/gris comes down to the QB situation on both teams.

Before last year I would have called Oregon State a toss up but they somehow seem to actually be good now. We may have to hope they are looking ahead to their game against USC the following week.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

nutman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by nutman » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:14 pm

We just won 3 games that were as tough or more tough than our 2022 conference slate. Why pick to lose any ? I’d argue that Cal Poly will be a more difficult game than EWU. We gave up our home game against the Griz, why doesn’t EWU have the give up one?

Not that it matters, make them more difficult and give us the best. We need to beat the best to be the best.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:11 pm

nutman wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:14 pm
We just won 3 games that were as tough or more tough than our 2022 conference slate. Why pick to lose any ? I’d argue that Cal Poly will be a more difficult game than EWU. We gave up our home game against the Griz, why doesn’t EWU have the give up one?

Not that it matters, make them more difficult and give us the best. We need to beat the best to be the best.
I was thinking the same thing about CP. I think with the transfer portal we'll see SOME programs rebuild really fast. Not everyone will be successful at it, but Baldwin can coach. Used to be you had to recruit HS kids and wait 3 years until they were ready. He gets a few of his guys in there and by mid-November they could be dangerous.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:10 pm

10-1.
As the defending national runners-up, I wouldn't pick us to lose any FCS games at all next year. We already beat EWU in Cheney this year, and Barriere will be gone. Gris will be good but the game is in Bozeman so the Cats should be favorites. We might lose at Oregon State, but that's the only game I think we'll be underdogs in.