Defensive Coordinator

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Re: Defensive Coordinator

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:51 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:01 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:54 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:18 pm
It would be nice if we could get a DC who has held the position before. We're good enough that we don't need to be taking chances on someone that's never done it. It worked out great this season but that doesn't mean it would again. There have to be a few really good FCS DCs that would love to work on a team that will be going to the playoffs at a minimum every year.
There’s one on the current coaching staff, fwiw.
Who on the current staff has been a DC before?
Shawn Howe was DC at Dixie State for three years prior to being hired at Coastal Carolina and then USC.

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:58 pm

I would almost guarantee Vigen knows who he wants to fill the position already. The dude literally has connections all over college of football. I saw the d-line coach at NDSU is coming to CSU as well. Don't be surprised if you see the CSU Rams take a massive jump in college football over the next 3 years.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:23 pm

NOCOcat2005 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:58 pm
I would almost guarantee Vigen knows who he wants to fill the position already. The dude literally has connections all over college of football. I saw the d-line coach at NDSU is coming to CSU as well. Don't be surprised if you see the CSU Rams take a massive jump in college football over the next 3 years.
If CSU does not improve dramatically, it won’t be for a lack of effort. Jay Norvell is the highest paid coach in the MWC. A number of players also followed him from Nevada to Colorado State.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:16 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:01 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:54 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:18 pm
It would be nice if we could get a DC who has held the position before. We're good enough that we don't need to be taking chances on someone that's never done it. It worked out great this season but that doesn't mean it would again. There have to be a few really good FCS DCs that would love to work on a team that will be going to the playoffs at a minimum every year.
There’s one on the current coaching staff, fwiw.
Who on the current staff has been a DC before?
Howe. And he counts Scottie Hazelton as a mentor. Hazelton runs the defense that we do, that’s where Banks learned it. If it’s an internal hire, I expect that it will be Howe or Daly, and I’d bet on Howe.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:17 pm

bcats wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:19 pm
He is a DC who has had success and isn’t coaching currently. I’m not living in the past. Just throwing a name out there like everyone else. Speculation. I wouldn’t be for or against his hiring.
He also doesn’t run the system that Vigen wants to run, and doesn’t have any connection to Vigen. He isn’t a realistic candidate.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:01 pm
If they want long continuity, probably best to go off and hire some older dude that is tired of moving around and just wants to settle down. These young guys are almost always going to be looking to move up for the bigger bucks.
Count me out on guys who just want to settle. Down that road lies complacence and stagnation. Give me younger guys who are on the way up, not old guys who are on the way down.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:05 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:53 pm
AFCAT wrote:
If they want long continuity, probably best to go off and hire some older dude that is tired of moving around and just wants to settle down. These young guys are almost always going to be looking to move up for the bigger bucks.
Count me out on guys who just want to settle. Down that road lies complacence and stagnation. Give me younger guys who are on the way up, not old guys who are on the way down.
Not sure why anyone has a problem with assistant moving up and being replaced. The alternative is much worse.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:12 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:05 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Not sure why anyone has a problem with assistant moving up and being replaced. The alternative is much worse.
Agreed.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:27 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:05 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Yeah, people should remember what happened under Ash when MSU had the same DC for many years before they call too loudly for stability over talent in that position!

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 am

I hope we have a new D coordinator every year!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 am

Bocephus wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 am
Ideally 2-3 years and then move up, but even one year rentals would be better than a guy who is just good enough to stay but not good enough to get a better job.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Sounds good, but I’d like to see the proof on that. Dumb has an older defensive coordinator and they did pretty well.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:19 am

Bocephus wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:19 am
That's what we've been doing on offense.....I wonder if housewright sticks.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:39 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Sounds good, but I’d like to see the proof on that. Dumb has an older defensive coordinator and they did pretty well.
They have a talent advantage and an atypical scheme that is more difficult when you only see it once or twice a year.

Their prior years that defense wasn’t as good. Amazing what a couple of really good CB’s will do to a defense.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:01 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:39 am
AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:19 am
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
They have a talent advantage and an atypical scheme that is more difficult when you only see it once or twice a year.

Their prior years that defense wasn’t as good. Amazing what a couple of really good CB’s will do to a defense.
I think the reason you see a lot of younger DCs in the FCS is because they work for less money. In a lot of cases (not always), it seems the FCS is a developmental step for young coaches. The Cats do have a few veteran coaches on the staff but almost all of them are on the younger side, under 40. The young coaches seem to move on to bigger money, which is great. I personally would like to have longer continuity at the DC and OC level but I doubt it will happen because Bozeman is an expensive place to live and the pay probably isn’t enticing enough for most older and more experienced coaches.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:15 pm

AFCAT wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:56 pm
While I would like to see us promote from within house, I wonder if one year is enough for Coach Vigen to feel comfortable enough to promote Bobby Daily? Howe is a young guy and probably has a better overall grasp of the defense Coach Vigen wants to run. I believe if they are in house they may stay longer than one and done. I certainly don't blame Coach Banks for taking off, but consistency would be nice.
I prefer the younger guys. They're hungry and willing to do a lot to prove themselves that the boomers won't, or just don't have the energy for anymore. The boomers are just trading their time for a paycheck and trying to lock up some decent health insurance.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:37 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:15 pm
AFCAT wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
While I would like to see us promote from within house, I wonder if one year is enough for Coach Vigen to feel comfortable enough to promote Bobby Daily? Howe is a young guy and probably has a better overall grasp of the defense Coach Vigen wants to run. I believe if they are in house they may stay longer than one and done. I certainly don't blame Coach Banks for taking off, but consistency would be nice.
I prefer the younger guys. They're hungry and willing to do a lot to prove themselves that the boomers won't, or just don't have the energy for anymore. The boomers are just trading their time for a paycheck and trying to lock up some decent health insurance.
Cool. What are some examples that the younger guys are willing to do to prove themselves that the older guys won’t do?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:41 pm

If you have a young, up and coming coach who is an alumn those are your best bets for continuity IMO. Obviously you don't give a guy the job solely based on that but those guys typically stick around for a little longer at least as long as they are promoted.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:46 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:41 pm
If you have a young, up and coming coach who is an alumn those are your best bets for continuity IMO. Obviously you don't give a guy the job solely based on that but those guys typically stick around for a little longer at least as long as they are promoted.
I think you are right there, at least for a bit longer than a coach brought in from another program. Having ties to the state, area or region also helps with some continuity from younger guys.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:57 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:37 pm
Cledus wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:15 pm
AFCAT wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
Cool. What are some examples that the younger guys are willing to do to prove themselves that the older guys won’t do?
Most 60-70 year old men probably aren’t going to be as aggressive on the recruiting trail. And let’s be honest, coaching in season takes a ton of time, and as you get older, it gets harder. There are always exceptions, but in a lot of ways, it’s a young(er) mans game. I know if I was in my 60’s, I wouldn’t want to spend 14 hours a day coaching, going over film, and trying to recruit. Not for the salary here.