Alternatives to Frisco?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Alternatives to Frisco?

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 pm

I doubt you will see the FCS leave Frisco. I was told by an NDSU fan that the town works their asses off year round for this event. They are already planning next years FCS Championship game and all the events and stuff that goes into it. It will be years before they look for another venue.

Punters are people too!!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:23 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 pm
I doubt you will see the FCS leave Frisco. I was told by an NDSU fan that the town works their asses off year round for this event. They are already planning next years FCS Championship game and all the events and stuff that goes into it. It will be years before they look for another venue.
2025……contract runs to 2025.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:39 pm

nevadacat wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm
js1010 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 am
I'm sure its a great venue to watch a soccer game at. It should not host another football game again.

In addition to the atrocious playing field, I don't think its big enough. This year was probably different than years past since both teams have fans that travel well, but I think it could have used another 5,000-10,000 seats. I have seen others mention Vegas as a better spot and I agree; easier to fly in to, virtually unlimited hotels to choose from, plenty of locations for Bobcat get togethers. It'd be great. I think Allegiant stadium would be awesome but maybe a little too big so I think Sam Boyd Stadium would great.
Sam Boyd is a nice stadium, but too far away from the heart of the city. I agree that Allegiant may be too big, but it's location makes it a far superior venue to Boyd.
Sam Boyd in Vegas would be a GREAT option. Was in Vegas about 10 years ago and watched NAU beat unlv when beavis hack was their coach. Loved every second of it. It has the same options for extra curricular activities and then some that Dallas has. Allegiant Stadium is way to big for this particular game. Somewhere between the 20-30k capacity is perfect.

Herd
New Recruit

Post by Herd » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:34 pm

Not sure what all the fascination is with Vegas. That does not thrill me as a viable location. Frisco rolls out the red carpet, and is warm and welcoming. Vegas has none of that, not feeling it at all. Frisco works at being fan friendly, Vegas isn’t doing any f that.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 pm

Herd wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:34 pm
Not sure what all the fascination is with Vegas. That does not thrill me as a viable location. Frisco rolls out the red carpet, and is warm and welcoming. Vegas has none of that, not feeling it at all. Frisco works at being fan friendly, Vegas isn’t doing any f that.
Gotta agree with the herd. Vegas wouldn't give 2 shakes about an FCS championship. We had a great time in Frisco. Better field conditions, thats about my only complaint.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 am

Herd wrote:
Totally agree. I'm a huge Vegas guy. Probably head down about 4-5 times a year. But in terms of this game, I don't see the appeal.

As a first-time Frisco attendee, I was so impressed with the area and how they treated the fans and the game in general. Obviously with NDSU being there every year many places catered to them, which even that I thought was kind of cool. But everyone I encountered knew about the game, had basic knowledge of the Cats, and asked if I thought we had the team to knock off NDSU.

You wouldn't get any of that in Vegas. I was very impressed with Frisco as a whole and would love to get back down there.

Bizun 86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bizun 86 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:51 am

js1010 wrote:
I'm sure its a great venue to watch a soccer game at. It should not host another football game again.

In addition to the atrocious playing field, I don't think its big enough. This year was probably different than years past since both teams have fans that travel well, but I think it could have used another 5,000-10,000 seats. I have seen others mention Vegas as a better spot and I agree; easier to fly in to, virtually unlimited hotels to choose from, plenty of locations for Bobcat get togethers. It'd be great. I think Allegiant stadium would be awesome but maybe a little too big so I think Sam Boyd Stadium would great.
What difference does it make to you guys anyway?
You're just planning on going as an impartial fan?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:29 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:57 am
Herd wrote:
Totally agree. I'm a huge Vegas guy. Probably head down about 4-5 times a year. But in terms of this game, I don't see the appeal.

As a first-time Frisco attendee, I was so impressed with the area and how they treated the fans and the game in general. Obviously with NDSU being there every year many places catered to them, which even that I thought was kind of cool. But everyone I encountered knew about the game, had basic knowledge of the Cats, and asked if I thought we had the team to knock off NDSU.

You wouldn't get any of that in Vegas. I was very impressed with Frisco as a whole and would love to get back down there.
With some planning, Vegas could be incredible. For example, the MGM grand has 5,000+ rooms. With a little planning, they could get a block of 4,000 rooms for one of the teams. Can you imagine the atmosphere with 4,000 MSU fans (probably 8,000 people based on double occupancy) all at one hotel? They could do the same at another hotel like Mandalay Bay for the other team. It would be unbelievable! And like mentioned earlier, Vegas is one of the easiest places in the country to fly to.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:31 am

Bizun 86 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:51 am
js1010 wrote:

What difference does it make to you guys anyway?
You're just planning on going as an impartial fan?
And you wonder why NDSU fans are considered the worst in FCS football? How pathetic is your existence trolling a rivals website after you already won the national championship?

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:29 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

With some planning, Vegas could be incredible. For example, the MGM grand has 5,000+ rooms. With a little planning, they could get a block of 4,000 rooms for one of the teams. Can you imagine the atmosphere with 4,000 MSU fans (probably 8,000 people based on double occupancy) all at one hotel? They could do the same at another hotel like Mandalay Bay for the other team. It would be unbelievable! And like mentioned earlier, Vegas is one of the easiest places in the country to fly to.
I think aspects like you mentioned would be great. But for the overall feel of the game and the experience surrounding it for the weekend, I think it would lose it's luster in Vegas. No one in Vegas would give a crap about the game except the two fanbases. I was impressed in Frisco that every bar and restaurant I went into, every uber, even just talking to people on the street, they knew about the game, and seemed to embrace it.

But you are right, if I'm just talking about my own fandom and experience, I could watch this game anywhere if it meant the Cats were playing in it. But I think the entire city of Frisco seems to embrace it which I thought was very cool.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:09 pm
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

I think aspects like you mentioned would be great. But for the overall feel of the game and the experience surrounding it for the weekend, I think it would lose it's luster in Vegas. No one in Vegas would give a crap about the game except the two fanbases. I was impressed in Frisco that every bar and restaurant I went into, every uber, even just talking to people on the street, they knew about the game, and seemed to embrace it.

But you are right, if I'm just talking about my own fandom and experience, I could watch this game anywhere if it meant the Cats were playing in it. But I think the entire city of Frisco seems to embrace it which I thought was very cool.
Having been to countless state tournaments and meets in Montana, I most enjoy the ones in Butte and Great Falls. I know this is a smaller scale but I think the same logic holds true. Sure, Billings, Bozeman and Missoula have more to do, but they couldn't care less that you're in town for it. In fact they act like it's a nuisance most of the time in those towns. But in Butte and GF, they're happy to have you and they're far more hospitable. I do feel like Vegas gets so many groups and tourists that they wouldn't even notice we're there. And sure, that doesn't matter, but that welcome in Frisco was fun. A little bit of Vegas goes a long way for me. I feel like if I got there Thursday I'd be half dead by Saturday. And I can only buy so many $16 Coors Lights.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:52 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

Having been to countless state tournaments and meets in Montana, I most enjoy the ones in Butte and Great Falls. I know this is a smaller scale but I think the same logic holds true. Sure, Billings, Bozeman and Missoula have more to do, but they couldn't care less that you're in town for it. In fact they act like it's a nuisance most of the time in those towns. But in Butte and GF, they're happy to have you and they're far more hospitable. I do feel like Vegas gets so many groups and tourists that they wouldn't even notice we're there. And sure, that doesn't matter, but that welcome in Frisco was fun. A little bit of Vegas goes a long way for me. I feel like if I got there Thursday I'd be half dead by Saturday. And I can only buy so many $16 Coors Lights.
Totally agree. You can always do what I did and spent a night in Vegas before Frisco and one more night for good measure coming home. 8)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:15 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

The greatest state hoop tournament in Montana history was the State C Boys tournament in in Helena. From the early 50s to 1980. Cato “The Cat” Butler did the play-by-play for every game and it was broadcast statewide. They had to move it because too many Helenans started going and people were getting turned away. It was at CMR the next year and it was never the same.

So, yeah, the idea of having it in the same location is good. I didnt see very many “Welcome to Frisco ndsu and msu fans!” signs or marquees, but maybe I missed it. Perhaps it’ll take a few more years. No one I talked to knew anything about a championship football game going on.

I’d think someone in an area that is more of a hotbed for FCS football would bid. I’d like to see UM/MSU bid jointly on the game. If one makes it, it’s in the other’s stadium. If both make it, then the team that didn’t host Cat-Griz hosts it. Even if Villanova plays SE Louisiana it would sell out. The cities of Bozeman and Missoula would pull out all the stops.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:20 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:15 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

The greatest state hoop tournament in Montana history was the State C Boys tournament in in Helena. From the early 50s to 1980. Cato “The Cat” Butler did the play-by-play for every game and it was broadcast statewide. They had to move it because too many Helenans started going and people were getting turned away. It was at CMR the next year and it was never the same.

So, yeah, the idea of having it in the same location is good. I didnt see very many “Welcome to Frisco ndsu and msu fans!” signs or marquees, but maybe I missed it. Perhaps it’ll take a few more years. No one I talked to knew anything about a championship football game going on.

I’d think someone in an area that is more of a hotbed for FCS football would bid. I’d like to see UM/MSU bid jointly on the game. If one makes it, it’s in the other’s stadium. If both make it, then the team that didn’t host Cat-Griz hosts it. Even if Villanova plays SE Louisiana it would sell out. The cities of Bozeman and Missoula would pull out all the stops.
I love the idea of having it in more of an FCS hotbed. To me that's more of a northern tier of the country idea at this point, given how many of at least the powerhouse southeast teams have moved up the last 10 years. I'm not coming up with anything awesome that isn't a huge advantage to the defending champs, given you either need fairly temperate weather or a dome at that time of the year. Boise? I love the cat/griz idea but weather would be a major deterrent id think. I like how you're thinking though.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:06 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

Remember the class C tourney well. That was an event in Helena when I was a kid. I absolutely loved watching all the different teams and I know my parents business put out a special effort for the fans and the tourney helped the local economy.

I didn’t see any great welcome in Frisco either. Heck, our hotel didn’t seem to know what was going on and they had lots of NDSU fans and MSU fans staying there.

I wouldn’t mind going to Vegas. That would be funner than Frisco.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:24 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:06 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

Remember the class C tourney well. That was an event in Helena when I was a kid. I absolutely loved watching all the different teams and I know my parents business put out a special effort for the fans and the tourney helped the local economy.

I didn’t see any great welcome in Frisco either. Heck, our hotel didn’t seem to know what was going on and they had lots of NDSU fans and MSU fans staying there.

I wouldn’t mind going to Vegas. That would be funner than Frisco.
I think Vegas is a viable option. Lots of flights going there. A drier climate and more options when it comes to things to see and do before and after the game. Sam Boyd stadium does not get as much use anymore. Some might say it’s too big a venue but I’ve seen bowl games there where it was not even close to being sold-out, well under 20K.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:56 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

I didn't see "welcome to Frisco" signs either, but I did get a lot of people (uber drivers, wait staff, hotel staff) who knew about the game and were at least interested in why we were there.

I think it would be fun to have the game in MT but the weather is beyond bad in January, plus if, say NDSU and SDSU play each other, I'm not sure where 20,000 fans are staying in any hotel in MT. I still think somewhere in the Phoenix area would be fun too. Vegas would be plenty fun, I just think it might be a little too much fun, and I guarantee it would've cost me at least an extra grand there.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Apogee Stadium

University of North Texas in Denton, Texas

Capacity 30,850

Field surface: Powerblade HP artificial turf

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:58 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:35 pm
Apogee Stadium

University of North Texas in Denton, Texas

Capacity 30,850

Field surface: Powerblade HP artificial turf
Texas probably has 75 stadiums big enough to host--half of which are high school stadiums. This stadium would be good, and Denton is just up the road from Frisco.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:10 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:56 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Herd wrote:

I didn't see "welcome to Frisco" signs either, but I did get a lot of people (uber drivers, wait staff, hotel staff) who knew about the game and were at least interested in why we were there.

I think it would be fun to have the game in MT but the weather is beyond bad in January, plus if, say NDSU and SDSU play each other, I'm not sure where 20,000 fans are staying in any hotel in MT. I still think somewhere in the Phoenix area would be fun too. Vegas would be plenty fun, I just think it might be a little too much fun, and I guarantee it would've cost me at least an extra grand there.
That's cool. None of the Uber drivers I had knew about it.

Yeah you're probably right about hotel space. Nonetheless, I think Montana would be an awesome destination, especially for the NoSoDaks. They love to come to Montana and go skiing at Big Sky. I think ND, SD and MT are the best place for it. There doesn't seem to be anywhere else that really has passionate fans. Montana has the most passionate FCS fans in the nation. If UND and USD ever start getting into they can approach us, but they seem to be a ways off, which is why I think Montana should be the host. It should be a no-brainer. The NCAA, if it cares, should make that happen.

A lot of the NoSoDaks have friends with condos up at Big Sky. I just think having the game in an area that already knows about it would be the ticket. That's what was so great about the C tourney in Helena. Everyone in town was ready for it. The fans from all the small towns (travel was so much more difficult back then, so coming to Helena was a big deal for them both in terms of difficulty and excitement). There was a great connection there. People here still talk about it and it's been over 40 years ago. Broke all the fire codes. We don't have a gym large enough here to host it ever again. You need at least 6,000 seats. I think Carroll is just under 4,000. The all-time record for attendance at a hoop game in Montana is a Class C game at the Metra. I think it was Plenty Coups vs. Bridger. Billings is a great basketball town. Both those towns are nearby, so they generated a lot of local interest. It was back in the 80s when basketball was still at its peak.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber