Alternatives to Frisco?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Alternatives to Frisco?

Post by bcatfan1 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 am

I actually thought the town and stadium were great. But the turf was awful. That would be my only complaint. We also had no problem with stadium entrance. We were in the long line for the West gate and then noticed there wasn't a single NDSU fan in the line (they know what they are doing). So we walked around to another gate with a very minimal wait line. Concessions were great. I loved that you could still see the game from the upper concourse while getting another beer!

As for the town. It kind of sucks how spread out everything was. We spent a lot of time in an Uber. But it was awesome to have most bars overrun with MSU and NDSU fans! And it seemed that most places were really happy to have the event there.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:16 am

bcatfan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:36 am
I actually thought the town and stadium were great. But the turf was awful. That would be my only complaint. We also had no problem with stadium entrance. We were in the long line for the West gate and then noticed there wasn't a single NDSU fan in the line (they know what they are doing). So we walked around to another gate with a very minimal wait line. Concessions were great. I loved that you could still see the game from the upper concourse while getting another beer!

As for the town. It kind of sucks how spread out everything was. We spent a lot of time in an Uber. But it was awesome to have most bars overrun with MSU and NDSU fans! And it seemed that most places were really happy to have the event there.
I agree. The turf was my main complaint. Everything else was workable. And I know to travel on Thursday just in case travel delays occur.

Despite everything else being good to great, the turf is a major issue. Not sure what soccer requires, but that was awful. Does any Big Sky school still play on grass? I think UNC changed and they were the last.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 am

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:02 pm
The game will never be played in the West. There are 13 teams in the FCS that aren't located in the Midwest or further east. There are 120 teams located in the Midwest, South or East.

Vegas isn't a viable spot because hotel prices are sky high when events are going on.
Sorry, but the two easiest locations in the country to fly to are Las Vegas and Orlando.

And the selection of Vegas hotels is usually always decent. If there are multiple 50,000 attendee trade shows at the same time, then it gets to be an issue. Older resorts like the Rio or Luxor can be booked for $39 per night.
Vegas's busy season is summer, so there should be plenty of rooms available in January. Plus, the weather would be pleasant which I believe factors into the venue decision.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:50 am

Don't conflate the stadium with the turf - I thought the stadium was great. Turf obviously was a problem but everything else was great. Not a bad seat in the house, it's just the perfect size for our subdivision as there are only a handful of fanbases that need to combine together to actually be a concern about getting at ticket, otherwise there will be only be 10k fans if like Villanova plays EWU or something. Lots of parking lots to tailgate, tons of stuff do within a 15-20 minute drive and clearly the city embraces the game (not surprising because NDSU brings in a lot of $ every year).

If they can fix the turf issue I have zero other complaints.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:04 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:50 am
Don't conflate the stadium with the turf - I thought the stadium was great. Turf obviously was a problem but everything else was great. Not a bad seat in the house, it's just the perfect size for our subdivision as there are only a handful of fanbases that need to combine together to actually be a concern about getting at ticket, otherwise there will be only be 10k fans if like Villanova plays EWU or something. Lots of parking lots to tailgate, tons of stuff do within a 15-20 minute drive and clearly the city embraces the game (not surprising because NDSU brings in a lot of $ every year).

I don’t know enough about soccer, but do any professional soccer teams play on turf? Is it all grass? Turf might not be a possibility for the Toyota Center.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty much with you. I wouldn't have minded seeing a stadium with a little bigger capacity, but most years that's not getting filled up, so 20k is a nice number. Entry was bad on the west gate but the east gate wasn't much better. The north gate did look like a better entrance once I got in, I just didn't even know it was there.

I noticed the grass looked better on the jumbotrons than it did to the naked eye. I'm not sure even the best grass surface will be much better if it's wet..that's just bad luck. I'd agree that it would be nice to play on turf.

I also thought Frisco was great. Well, Plano was great. Frisco doesn't have much to offer other than the Cowboys' facility and a bunch of crappy chains along the freeway. There was so much to do in Plano. Granted it's not all within walking distance, but close enough that I seldom spent more than $10 on an Uber ride.

For another option in the future I'd throw out Tempe. Sun Devil Stadium has been redone to accommodate smaller crowds since ASU generally sucks and it's too hot to go to games most of the season. It would still be Christmas break and the fan bases could take over. Plenty of big football games have been played on that field in January.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:12 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:04 pm
CelticCat wrote:

I don’t know enough about soccer, but do any professional soccer teams play on turf? Is it all grass? Turf might not be a possibility for the Toyota Center.
Soccer on turf is definitely looked down upon, grass is greatly preferred. A few MLS teams do play on turf, like the Sounders in Seattle as they share the stadium with the Seahawks. However at top level international competitions turf is not allowed as far as I know. Why despite Seattle selling out MLS games they are able to hold international competitions there.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

RKMCMT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by RKMCMT » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:48 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:03 am
It's January so no matter where you go the weather could be sketchy. So I think we need to go dome. Smallish domes in cool locations with major airports nearby are not plentiful. How about Tampa Bay?
Hate baseball seating at a football game though.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:50 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:12 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Soccer on turf is definitely looked down upon, grass is greatly preferred. A few MLS teams do play on turf, like the Sounders in Seattle as they share the stadium with the Seahawks. However at top level international competitions turf is not allowed as far as I know. Why despite Seattle selling out MLS games they are able to hold international competitions there.
The Portland Timbers play on artificial turf. They never host US National team games though-and there are many pushing to have natural grass installed since the venue doesn't host PSU football anymore. The Seattle Sounders play on turf, but when that venue hosts National Team games they install natural grass on some sort of tray system. Most SEC teams still play football on natural grass I believe including Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, etc.

I think the problem is grass, even in Texas doesn't grow in December and January. So the field can't heal up from 2 bowl games in December and who knows how many high school games in the late fall.

nevadacat
Member # Retired

Post by nevadacat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:02 pm

js1010 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 am
I'm sure its a great venue to watch a soccer game at. It should not host another football game again.

In addition to the atrocious playing field, I don't think its big enough. This year was probably different than years past since both teams have fans that travel well, but I think it could have used another 5,000-10,000 seats. I have seen others mention Vegas as a better spot and I agree; easier to fly in to, virtually unlimited hotels to choose from, plenty of locations for Bobcat get togethers. It'd be great. I think Allegiant stadium would be awesome but maybe a little too big so I think Sam Boyd Stadium would great.
Sam Boyd is a nice stadium, but too far away from the heart of the city. I agree that Allegiant may be too big, but it's location makes it a far superior venue to Boyd.

...for today we raise, the BLUE and GOLD to wave victorious!... GO CATS GO!

WetBreeches
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by WetBreeches » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:07 pm

kmax wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:12 pm
Cataholic wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

There are even a lot of top flight soccer players who will not play on artificial turf.

WetBreeches
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by WetBreeches » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:09 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 am
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
The game will never be played in the West. There are 13 teams in the FCS that aren't located in the Midwest or further east. There are 120 teams located in the Midwest, South or East.

Vegas isn't a viable spot because hotel prices are sky high when events are going on.
Sorry, but the two easiest locations in the country to fly to are Las Vegas and Orlando.

And the selection of Vegas hotels is usually always decent. If there are multiple 50,000 attendee trade shows at the same time, then it gets to be an issue. Older resorts like the Rio or Luxor can be booked for $39 per night.
Vegas's busy season is summer, so there should be plenty of rooms available in January. Plus, the weather would be pleasant which I believe factors into the venue decision.
Vegas' busy season is not summer. Once it starts hitting 98+ degrees it slows down. Certainly the first/second week of January wouldn't be as busy as peak times.

WetBreeches
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by WetBreeches » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:17 pm

Thought the stadium was a great venue for championship. Sight lines were great, restroom waits were short and never waited for food or drink. Field was rough and getting in the gate took forever (even went to opposite side of tailgate area).

Town of Frisco was great. Bars and hotels decorated with team swag. Friday night party at Concrete Cowboy was fantastic, they even found clips of '84 Championship game and were playing them on the big screens in bar. Frisco had tons of food, hotel and entertainment options. I feel like if it was moved to a town like Las Vegas there would be positives and negatives. One major negative being less of a community wide awareness and involvement in the game. But alas, all the chatter about better venues/cities/etc are mute because it is a bid system, so as fans, we really have zero say in future locations.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:26 pm

WetBreeches wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:09 pm
Cledus wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Vegas' busy season is not summer. Once it starts hitting 98+ degrees it slows down. Certainly the first/second week of January wouldn't be as busy as peak times.
That is not factually accurate at all. Their busy time is summer. Here are visitor statistics:
If the image doesn't zoom, here's the link: LVCVA Visitor Statistics

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:34 pm

Cledus wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:26 pm
WetBreeches wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:09 pm
Cledus wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

That is not factually accurate at all. Their busy time is summer. Here are visitor statistics:
If the image doesn't zoom, here's the link: LVCVA Visitor Statistics
You can't really use 2021 stats since the data would be so skewed by Covid and people being willing to travel more once vaccines were widely available in the Spring. I looked at 2018 and it's quite constant throughout the year. Two busiest months were March and October.

jaquelethargic
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by jaquelethargic » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:53 pm

There was no coffee in the stadium and the field was in rough shape by the end of the game. Everything else is mostly apples to apples.

bandit218
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bandit218 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:11 pm

The field during the 2013 championship game against Towson was 10 times worse. It looked like the sod had been rolled out the day before. Players would go to make a cut and a 2’ chunk of turf would tear up. They actually had staff replacing chunks during timeouts. I believe it was an ice storm a couple months earlier that caused those problems, but I t really impacted the edge rushing for Towson.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:37 pm

Cledus wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I was in Vegas for new years a few years ago and it was 17 degrees. It can get very cold in Vegas in January

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:45 pm

js1010 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 am
I'm sure its a great venue to watch a soccer game at. It should not host another football game again.

In addition to the atrocious playing field, I don't think its big enough. This year was probably different than years past since both teams have fans that travel well, but I think it could have used another 5,000-10,000 seats. I have seen others mention Vegas as a better spot and I agree; easier to fly in to, virtually unlimited hotels to choose from, plenty of locations for Bobcat get togethers. It'd be great. I think Allegiant stadium would be awesome but maybe a little too big so I think Sam Boyd Stadium would great.
Allegiant Stadium hosted the four high school football state championship games on a single day. Sounds they like to use the stadium for other events, even though they don’t come even close to filling it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:05 pm

And in Vegas we can blow through even more cash than we did getting to and watching the game in Frisco. I’m down! \:D/

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter