Alternatives to Frisco?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Alternatives to Frisco?

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:36 am

It drove me a little nuts on Saturday leading up to the game to see the FBS broadcasts happening from fancy-a*s Lucas Oil Field, then they cut to the podunk Toyota Field in Frisco. Seriously, that is not a football stadium.

For those of you who went, what did the field conditions look like real-time? From the TV perspective, that grass looked like garbage. Especially, when you tune in and see the conditions of the grass fields for the Raiders and Cardinals.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

js1010
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Alternatives to Frisco?

Post by js1010 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 am

I'm sure its a great venue to watch a soccer game at. It should not host another football game again.

In addition to the atrocious playing field, I don't think its big enough. This year was probably different than years past since both teams have fans that travel well, but I think it could have used another 5,000-10,000 seats. I have seen others mention Vegas as a better spot and I agree; easier to fly in to, virtually unlimited hotels to choose from, plenty of locations for Bobcat get togethers. It'd be great. I think Allegiant stadium would be awesome but maybe a little too big so I think Sam Boyd Stadium would great.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:59 am

js1010 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 am
I think Sam Boyd Stadium would great.
100% Agree. It has 35-40k seating. Excellent idea JS!

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:02 pm

The game will never be played in the West. There are 13 teams in the FCS that aren't located in the Midwest or further east. There are 120 teams located in the Midwest, South or East.

Vegas isn't a viable spot because hotel prices are sky high when events are going on.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:03 pm

js1010 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:52 am
I'm sure its a great venue to watch a soccer game at. It should not host another football game again.

In addition to the atrocious playing field, I don't think its big enough. This year was probably different than years past since both teams have fans that travel well, but I think it could have used another 5,000-10,000 seats. I have seen others mention Vegas as a better spot and I agree; easier to fly in to, virtually unlimited hotels to choose from, plenty of locations for Bobcat get togethers. It'd be great. I think Allegiant stadium would be awesome but maybe a little too big so I think Sam Boyd Stadium would great.
I'm a Vegas lover and I think that would be such a great location! But Frisco has the rights to the game until 2025, so we are stuck with it for the near future.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:21 pm

I was extremely disappointed with the conditions of the turf. They played a bunch of other bowl games right before the FCS and you just can't "patch up" natural grass that is over used. Those conditions work fine if you have a bunch of oversized bullies to run, block, hold, push, pull up and down the field, but if you have a team that relies on quickness and speed you are out of luck

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 pm

Somewhere that has turf, good food, good weather, easy and cheap to fly into.

Punters are people too!!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:38 pm

San Diego

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

bobcatbob24
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcatbob24 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:44 pm

The area is pretty good. I thought this stadium was unworthy of a championship game. Turf condition was dangerous with a minimal amount of rain. It was ridiculous to for some people stand in line over an hour and not get in to see all of the game. People started crowding in impatiently and that got dangerous. Unbelievable that they can’t staff enough security scanners to efficiently get 20,000 into the stadium. Would give this venue 1 star revue.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:51 pm

The NCAA doesn't give two gobs of goat sh-it about FCS football. They just don't.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:13 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:51 pm
The NCAA doesn't give two gobs of goat sh-it about FCS football. They just don't.
You got that right. I learned first hand all about that on Saturday. They didn't even try to hide it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:20 pm

bobcatbob24 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:44 pm
The area is pretty good. I thought this stadium was unworthy of a championship game. Turf condition was dangerous with a minimal amount of rain. It was ridiculous to for some people stand in line over an hour and not get in to see all of the game. People started crowding in impatiently and that got dangerous. Unbelievable that they can’t staff enough security scanners to efficiently get 20,000 into the stadium. Would give this venue 1 star revue.
I wasn’t a fan, especially of the playing surface but the issues of getting in to the game were compounded by most trying to use the same entrance.

bdales30
New Recruit

Post by bdales30 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:33 am

I don’t get it, I was there too and thought it was a great venue. The weather wasn’t ideal or the field conditions but that’s football…old school football, but I thought it was a great venue. There isn’t a bad seat in the house. I like that it’s a smaller stadium kinda like Bobcat Stadium or that other dbag team across the divides stadium so it sells out gets full, gets loud, not a huge stadium where everyone gets spread out and doesn’t feel as intimate. Id hate to play at an nfl stadium. As far as the area, there are tons of great hotel options from your normal hotels with not much to offer other than a place to sleep to great places for families. We brought the whole family including 6 and 8 year old kids and their cousins of similar age so we stayed 20 minutes away at the Great Wolf Lodge with a huge indoor water park, the Gaylord hotel across the street was the same. Top Golf just down the road, the Fort Worth Stock Yards, the entertainment away from the game was endless. And endless dining options. Also having two major airports within 13 miles of each other offered plenty of flight options. I’m not sure what everyone else is bitching about!

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:00 am

Common Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:38 pm
San Diego
I would love to see it here. Oh by the way SDSU is going to open their brand new state of the art 40K seat stadium this fall.

https://snapdragonstadium.com/

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:12 am

bdales30 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:33 am
I don’t get it, I was there too and thought it was a great venue. The weather wasn’t ideal or the field conditions but that’s football…old school football, but I thought it was a great venue. There isn’t a bad seat in the house. I like that it’s a smaller stadium kinda like Bobcat Stadium or that other dbag team across the divides stadium so it sells out gets full, gets loud, not a huge stadium where everyone gets spread out and doesn’t feel as intimate. Id hate to play at an nfl stadium. As far as the area, there are tons of great hotel options from your normal hotels with not much to offer other than a place to sleep to great places for families. We brought the whole family including 6 and 8 year old kids and their cousins of similar age so we stayed 20 minutes away at the Great Wolf Lodge with a huge indoor water park, the Gaylord hotel across the street was the same. Top Golf just down the road, the Fort Worth Stock Yards, the entertainment away from the game was endless. And endless dining options. Also having two major airports within 13 miles of each other offered plenty of flight options. I’m not sure what everyone else is bitching about!
I agree with all this. I thought the Stadium was absolutely fantastic. A gorgeous setting for an FCS National Championship.

Hating the griz since 02.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:12 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:13 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:51 pm
You got that right. I learned first hand all about that on Saturday. They didn't even try to hide it.
What do you mean?

Hating the griz since 02.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:02 pm
The game will never be played in the West. There are 13 teams in the FCS that aren't located in the Midwest or further east. There are 120 teams located in the Midwest, South or East.

Vegas isn't a viable spot because hotel prices are sky high when events are going on.
Sorry, but the two easiest locations in the country to fly to are Las Vegas and Orlando.

And the selection of Vegas hotels is usually always decent. If there are multiple 50,000 attendee trade shows at the same time, then it gets to be an issue. Older resorts like the Rio or Luxor can be booked for $39 per night.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:17 am

Frisco was a really cool town to have the game. Every bar and restaurant was FULL of fans from both teams (a larger city like Vegas would lose that feel). Getting into the stadium was absolutely ridiculous. How the hell do you get 19,000 people through less than 20 check-in points in a reasonable time??? Now getting into the stadium was atrocious, but getting a beer was spectacular! I never waited more than a minute to get a BL. I would also agree that there wasn’t a bad seat in the house, but if you could have added 10,000 more seats, between the Cats and NDSU you could have filled those spots adding to the atmosphere.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:52 am

I like Texas because it's both central and generally good weather in early January. It's seems there are actual FBS football stadiums that could be used. The stadium at SMU for example holds 32,000 people and is in the heart of everything in Dallas for the fans. There are several other possibilities as well, including moving to Houston and playing on the 40,000 seat TDECU Stadium. I didn't care much for Frisco overall.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:03 am

It's January so no matter where you go the weather could be sketchy. So I think we need to go dome. Smallish domes in cool locations with major airports nearby are not plentiful. How about Tampa Bay?