Alternatives to Frisco?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

nodak651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Alternatives to Frisco?

Post by nodak651 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:08 am

There is only one choice and it's Nashville. Awesome party city. Near tons of FCS schools. Easy for pretty much anyone in the country to get to. Tons of hotels. Awesome main street for everyone to congregate at. More casual fans. Far enough south to have warm enough weather for football. New soccer stadium there seats 30k which is also a perfect number.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:58 am

If it's going to be in Texas it should be in the Houston area. Houston is pretty easy to get to and has two airports like Dallas does. It's warmer than Frisco and close to the beach. Yeah Galveston in January is pretty iffy but it's supposed to be in the mid 70s today. Not Hawaii but still a nice change of pace for us northerners. If not there then I would pick Orlando. My bias for warm weather is probably over the top but it is what it is.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:10 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:35 pm
Apogee Stadium

University of North Texas in Denton, Texas

Capacity 30,850

Field surface: Powerblade HP artificial turf
Ahhh...that reminds me, I forgot to get a coffee mug from University of North Texas while down there. That was near the top of the list for Texas souvenirs I wanted to bring home.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:10 am
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Apogee Stadium

Capacity 30,850

Ahhh...that reminds me, I forgot to get a coffee mug from University of North Texas while down there. That was near the top of the list for Texas souvenirs I wanted to bring home.
What an odd souvenir I thought so I googled them. Wow, that is pretty bad.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:23 am

rivercat wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:21 am
wbtfg wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Apogee Stadium

Capacity 30,850

What an odd souvenir I thought so I googled them. Wow, that is pretty bad.
:lol:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:26 am

Anyone know how the bidding process works? All options suggested I think are great. But does Vegas care enough to even try to get this game? I think that’s what Frisco has going for it. They love the game there and want it to be there.

Weird how we all had different experiences down there. I felt like almost everyone working in the bars we went to knew about the game. I talked to one bartender at the Drunken Donkey for like 10 minutes about the game. He said staff almost fights for shifts this weekend cause NDSU travels so well but he’s never seen another fanbase match them like we did this year. It was so cool.

In the end I couldn’t care less where the game is at. Just found it funny NDSU has been there for a decade and seems to love it, we go there once and immediately try to find places “better”. This game could be in Akron and I’d make the trip and love it.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:43 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Apogee Stadium

Capacity 30,850

this would be perfect, so long as they can sell beer. :)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:51 pm

nodak651 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:08 am
There is only one choice and it's Nashville. Awesome party city. Near tons of FCS schools. Easy for pretty much anyone in the country to get to. Tons of hotels. Awesome main street for everyone to congregate at. More casual fans. Far enough south to have warm enough weather for football. New soccer stadium there seats 30k which is also a perfect number.

That would also be cool!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:56 pm

wbtfg wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Apogee Stadium

Capacity 30,850

:lol: :lol: :lol:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Okay, I get it now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Pounder
New Recruit

Post by Pounder » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:08 pm

Proper soccer surfaces are supposed to be softer. Thing is, Dallas (and Houston) both share with football. Eh, 4+ years ago, the Timbers took on 3 injuries in the playoffs on a torn-up pitch in Houston and I’m still a bit bitter.

I also lived in the Bay Area decades ago. The 49ers had a preseason game in Barcelona then, took on a bunch of injuries, some in media and on the team blamed it on the soft surface. So, eh…

So Montana State plays Oregon State in Portland this fall. It’s a softer Field Turf, which I don’t think is why Portland State left (the rent, yes, that’s part of it). It gets replaced every 2-3 years, and there have been years where it’s harder. Doesn’t seem like you’re a super speed team… it might slow down OSU a bit.

As for relocating from Frisco, eh, MLS 1.0 teams (Dallas is one of the originals) are more like to sell their souls out out for every little thing. Hey, I saw San Diego State playing in the Galaxy’s stadium in November. I wouldn’t count on much change. HOWEVER, the Orlando City stadium is a bit larger than Toyota. And Las Vegas is the front runner for the next MLS expansion franchise. The bid winners promise a new park nearer the Strip than Allegiant. If they try to grow grass in a Vegas summer, that’ll be… interesting. So who knows.

Granger
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Granger » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:46 pm

You all make important points but the first and most important question for me is whether a national championship football game should ever have to be played on a field like that? No. I don't care about the city/state etc. but the field has to be championship quality and this one wasn't. Saw it firsthand.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:03 pm

Pounder wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:08 pm
Proper soccer surfaces are supposed to be softer. Thing is, Dallas (and Houston) both share with football. Eh, 4+ years ago, the Timbers took on 3 injuries in the playoffs on a torn-up pitch in Houston and I’m still a bit bitter.

I also lived in the Bay Area decades ago. The 49ers had a preseason game in Barcelona then, took on a bunch of injuries, some in media and on the team blamed it on the soft surface. So, eh…

So Montana State plays Oregon State in Portland this fall. It’s a softer Field Turf, which I don’t think is why Portland State left (the rent, yes, that’s part of it). It gets replaced every 2-3 years, and there have been years where it’s harder. Doesn’t seem like you’re a super speed team… it might slow down OSU a bit.

As for relocating from Frisco, eh, MLS 1.0 teams (Dallas is one of the originals) are more like to sell their souls out out for every little thing. Hey, I saw San Diego State playing in the Galaxy’s stadium in November. I wouldn’t count on much change. HOWEVER, the Orlando City stadium is a bit larger than Toyota. And Las Vegas is the front runner for the next MLS expansion franchise. The bid winners promise a new park nearer the Strip than Allegiant. If they try to grow grass in a Vegas summer, that’ll be… interesting. So who knows.
#RCTID!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:30 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:51 pm
nodak651 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:08 am

That would also be cool!!
If it's a football/soccer pitch then I'd pass on it because of what we saw with the turf in Frisco. If it's a dual purpose field for soccer it will be natural and if weather is an issue can be problematic for football. That said, if we still played on natural turf all year like back in the good old days, then I'm down. We don't, so I would always vote field surface first.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm

Why not just play it in Fargo so they can keep all their money there?

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:24 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm
It’s like the (paraphrased) song says — “If you’re gonna play in Fargo, you need a shovel in the van.” I don’t care if they play indoors, nobody would want to go outdoors.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:58 am

On Tuesdays Nuanez now interviewed Jim O'day talking about this subject and I learned a couple things. 3 places bid on hosting when the Chattanooga contract ended. Chattanooga, Frisco, and Missoula. I didn't know that they had tried to bid for it. They didn't get it because the committee thought it might be to cold and Missoula doesn't have the Motels, Airports, and transportation to really handle an Influx of 10K to 20K people. I have heard that Birmingham AL is interested in bidding once Frisco's current contract runs out. Truth is if Frisco put down a true football surface they would really be hard to beat. DFW, Hotels, places to eat and things to do. If you get a chance and can get past the occasional off hand swipe at MSU, its a decent listen.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

grizgirl
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizgirl » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:41 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:58 am
On Tuesdays Nuanez now interviewed Jim O'day talking about this subject and I learned a couple things. 3 places bid on hosting when the Chattanooga contract ended. Chattanooga, Frisco, and Missoula. I didn't know that they had tried to bid for it. They didn't get it because the committee thought it might be to cold and Missoula doesn't have the Motels, Airports, and transportation to really handle an Influx of 10K to 20K people. I have heard that Birmingham AL is interested in bidding once Frisco's current contract runs out. Truth is if Frisco put down a true football surface they would really be hard to beat. DFW, Hotels, places to eat and things to do. If you get a chance and can get past the occasional off hand swipe at MSU, its a decent listen.
You should feel good about the off hand swipes. You guys are beating us at practically everything. I remember when it was MSU’s people making them. It goes with the territory and is a sign of inferiority.

Go Dark Brandon!!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:28 pm

If uofm wants to bid on it they would probably need a gofundme... Could they use the open dorm capacity for lodging?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:52 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:24 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:31 pm
It’s like the (paraphrased) song says — “If you’re gonna play in Fargo, you need a shovel in the van.” I don’t care if they play indoors, nobody would want to go outdoors.
Why not Eastern Washington's field in Spokane? I mean, come on, who gives a damn about small college football? North Dakota? They even provide FCOA.