Sean Chambers - transfer from Wyoming commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Sean Chambers - transfer from Wyoming commits

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:35 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:29 pm
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:17 pm
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 2 quarterback system. Remember, Vigen is coaching for a 15 game season. They’re both gonna play.
Does Vigen have a history of running a two QB system?
I don’t know, but it seems logical to run two guys if you’re going to run your qb.
How many teams (or what % of teams) that have a starting QB that runs use two QBs?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 pm
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see a 2 quarterback system. Remember, Vigen is coaching for a 15 game season. They’re both gonna play.
I don’t know, but it seems logical to run two guys if you’re going to run your qb.
How many teams (or what % of teams) that have a starting QB that runs use two QBs?
Probably not many. It seems to work for NDSU. We’ve done it with success as well.And Vigen did it with McKay and Tommy.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:40 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:47 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:47 pm
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Probably not many. It seems to work for NDSU. We’ve done it with success as well.And Vigen did it with McKay and Tommy.
In fairness, most of the fans here thought the fence was acceptable at best (EWU) or “god awful” at worst (UM & WSU) with McKay & Mellot.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Tommy Mellott was fantastic in his three games as a starting QB, but there are a LOT of factors at play here.

Most significantly, how quickly can TM be on the field at 100%? If he's not 100% in the fall, there is no way I put him on that field unless he is not willing to redshirt a year. As many have mentioned, Chambers seems to fit Vigen's mold as a starting QB. The MSU offensive game plan is easy to execute as a starting QB and his accuracy numbers do not need to be fantastic in this particular system to be successful.

Getting a 3* QB recruit is never a bad thing for an FCS program. Chambers showed a lot of potential at Wyoming under Vigen (he had a 6-2 record, including a win over an SEC team). As others have mentioned, if you need or want to get 20-30 carries out of the QB position, it's much better to split those carries between two QB than it is to overburden one individual. I think the MSU offense is going to be built to destroy other defenses. Only one FCS team can currently do this, but MSU had the blueprint down and was only missing depth to really drive it home.

BStinsMSU

Post by BStinsMSU » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm

He’s lookin good in Blue and Gold!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

RICO CAT

Post by RICO CAT » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:00 pm

Imagine both in the backfield at the same time! Interesting possibilities there with #22 in the mix.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:51 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:47 pm
Tommy Mellott was fantastic in his three games as a starting QB, but there are a LOT of factors at play here.

Most significantly, how quickly can TM be on the field at 100%? If he's not 100% in the fall, there is no way I put him on that field unless he is not willing to redshirt a year. As many have mentioned, Chambers seems to fit Vigen's mold as a starting QB. The MSU offensive game plan is easy to execute as a starting QB and his accuracy numbers do not need to be fantastic in this particular system to be successful.

Getting a 3* QB recruit is never a bad thing for an FCS program. Chambers showed a lot of potential at Wyoming under Vigen (he had a 6-2 record, including a win over an SEC team). As others have mentioned, if you need or want to get 20-30 carries out of the QB position, it's much better to split those carries between two QB than it is to overburden one individual. I think the MSU offense is going to be built to destroy other defenses. Only one FCS team can currently do this, but MSU had the blueprint down and was only missing depth to really drive it home.
Chambers is going to be an excellent backup to Mellott. I'm glad we got him. Backup QB was one of MSU's biggest weaknesses in 2021. Every team needs a good backup QB if it's to be considered a team with good depth. If we had Chambers vs NDSU it would've made a big difference. (Nothing against Rovig, he's a great guy and great leader)

Mellott will absolutely crush it in 2022. He'll get a chance to completely figure out the nuances of playing QB early in the season against teams that aren't of the same caliber of SHSU and SDSU. Oregon State will be a great test for him I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he leads the Bobcats to a win in that game. By mid-season he'll have ironed a lot of the 'thinking man's' parts of the game and add it to his instinctual repertoire. Incredible combo. He's already one of the most instinctual QBs in the nation.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:43 pm

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:08 pm

Wow. Those are really encouraging statements. He was a three time team captain at Wyoming? That's pretty incredible. We are going to have very solid QB depth in 2022.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:15 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:08 pm
Wow. Those are really encouraging statements. He was a three time team captain at Wyoming? That's pretty incredible. We are going to have very solid QB depth in 2022.
Agreed. Really liked what he said about Tommy having earned the job but still needing that competition and depth to make the position even stronger.