Sean Chambers - transfer from Wyoming commits

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Re: Sean Chambers - transfer from Wyoming commits

Post by msuhunter » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:23 pm

RickRund wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:55 am
Maybe Chambers is good buds with Valladay.
Could you imagine Valladay and Ifanse in the backfield together!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:33 pm

msuhunter wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:23 pm
RickRund wrote:
With Neyor on the outside? Lol

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:34 pm

msuhunter wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I'd be very, very surprised if Valladay signed with the Cats. I know the coaches are looking for a drop down or JC running back though to compliment Ifanse.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:47 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:13 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:08 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:45 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:13 pm
utucats wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:58 am
This thread is funny.

Can you imagine putting a kid ahead of Tommy on the depth chart now? Every time that poor kid trips people will be screaming for Mellot.

Tommy is a native kid who is so dynamic, that can’t be replaced. He rose from 4th string to starter under Vigen. I think Coach believes in him plenty.

Depth is a good thing but Tommy is our starting QB.
Yep, but unless the passing game expands, Tommy will never make it through an entire season running the ball 25-34 times a game. It’s unsustainable.

Any updates on his injury? A break or a ligament tear?
I hear this a lot lately but I'm not sure its true. College football is FULL of running QBs. Think about all the option teams, Cal Poly, Kennesaw State, the old Georgia Southern etc. At MSU, Chris Murray ran the ball all the time and never missed a game in almost 2 full seasons. I think TA might've missed a game early in the year when he was QB but finished the season. Tommy was just fine all year until 1 unfortunate play put him out. Its just luck of the draw IMO. Sometimes guys get hurt in football regardless of position.
I think it's more likely that a running QB, especially the way Tommy runs, will get hurt which is why it's so important to have a viable backup plan. Tommy was just fine all year because he only got a handful of touches each game until he was the starting QB.

As far as Chambers being the answer at QB2, I'm not so sure. Each of his first three seasons were ended due to injury and in his fourth he just lost the job. He'll be able to finish a game if Tommy gets hurt but it's too early to tell if he's someone we would be confident in starting games.
Ya, I'm still not buying it. Mellott had 30+ carries vs. SDSU and didn't get injured. He had like 2 last saturday and got injured. It was just awful luck. Had nothing to do with wear and tear on his body.
I agree you dont want him to have 30 carries a game for an entire season. But I'm sure Vigen doesn't want that either. the SDSU game was an outlier with Ifanse out.
You increase your chances for awful luck every time you get tackled. It's why QBs so often slide or run out of bounds rather than fight for every yard. Could Tommy make it through a full season running 15-20 times per game? Sure. But he's more likely to get hurt than a QB that only runs it 5 times per game.

Ultimately we need Tommy to continue to develop (which he will) so that he doesn't need to run as much. We also need quality depth behind him, with a similar playing style, in case something happens.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:50 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:19 pm
91catAlum wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
PapaG wrote:
utucats wrote:
This thread is funny.

Can you imagine putting a kid ahead of Tommy on the depth chart now? Every time that poor kid trips people will be screaming for Mellot.

Tommy is a native kid who is so dynamic, that can’t be replaced. He rose from 4th string to starter under Vigen. I think Coach believes in him plenty.

Yep, but unless the passing game expands, Tommy will never make it through an entire season running the ball 25-34 times a game. It’s unsustainable.

I hear this a lot lately but I'm not sure its true. College football is FULL of running QBs. Think about all the option teams, Cal Poly, Kennesaw State, the old Georgia Southern etc. At MSU, Chris Murray ran the ball all the time and never missed a game in almost 2 full seasons. I think TA might've missed a game early in the year when he was QB but finished the season. Tommy was just fine all year until 1 unfortunate play put him out. Its just luck of the draw IMO. Sometimes guys get hurt in football regardless of position.
I think it's more likely that a running QB, especially the way Tommy runs, will get hurt which is why it's so important to have a viable backup plan. Tommy was just fine all year because he only got a handful of touches each game until he was the starting QB.

As far as Chambers being the answer at QB2, I'm not so sure. Each of his first three seasons were ended due to injury and in his fourth he just lost the job. He'll be able to finish a game if Tommy gets hurt but it's too early to tell if he's someone we would be confident in starting games.
Ya, I'm still not buying it. Mellott had 30+ carries vs. SDSU and didn't get injured. He had like 2 last saturday and got injured. It was just awful luck. Had nothing to do with wear and tear on his body.
I agree you dont want him to have 30 carries a game for an entire season. But I'm sure Vigen doesn't want that either. the SDSU game was an outlier with Ifanse out.
The more hits any player takes, the greater the chance for injury. Those carries don’t even include getting knocked down on pass plays, which also takes a toll.

Ideally your QB doesn’t need 34 rushes in a game. Good luck doing that for an entire season, but for the SDSU game it was the game plan that worked.

It didn’t work against NDSU, and MSU got blown out.
It was working just fine until Tommy got hurt.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:51 pm

PapaG wrote:
utucats wrote:
This thread is funny.

The passing game will expand. Tommy only took first team reps for a few critical weeks this year. With his work ethic, and time, he’ll develop more balance.

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 pm

Absolutely love the pickup of Chambers, keep in mind before he started getting hurt early on in his career there were a lot of comparisons to Josh Allen. I split my time between Laramie and FoCo, watched a lot of Wyoming football, this is a good get. I'm not saying he's NFL talent, but certainly has a big arm and when protected he can play. TM had an incredible season, i have no doubt he'll have an incredible career at MSU at QB, but you can never have too much experience in that room. Plus, Chambers already knows the offense like the back of his hand, so the learning curve will be minimal. I'm all about this, Brent Vigen knows exactly who is getting with this move. This won't hamper TM's development, it will only expedite it.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:57 pm

utucats wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:19 pm
91catAlum wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
PapaG wrote:
utucats wrote:
This thread is funny.

The more hits any player takes, the greater the chance for injury. Those carries don’t even include getting knocked down on pass plays, which also takes a toll.

Ideally your QB doesn’t need 34 rushes in a game. Good luck doing that for an entire season, but for the SDSU game it was the game plan that worked.

It didn’t work against NDSU, and MSU got blown out.
It was working just fine until Tommy got hurt.
Yeah, that’s my point.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:09 pm

Chambers is an excellent pickup for MSU. You're nothing (as you saw Saturday and vs. SDSU and vs. SHSU) without depth. Ask Bobby Hauck. He unwittingly admitted that depth is huge several times this year. I couldn't agree more. Chambers is nowhere near as capable as Mellott, but he's an upgrade. I also think Bauman will be better next year and then who knows about the freshman from Idaho(?). He could be a real stud. Or not.

MSU lost Benson, Okada, Ifanse and continued to roll with Mellott at the helm. You need to be able to do that in some capacity even if the QB1 goes down.

Anyone on here old enough to remember what happened to UM when Dickenson went down with an ankle sprain his junior year? I do. It knocked them out of national title contention. One player can make a huge difference if you don't have depth at that position. Teams need to be built for that contingency.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 pm
Nice pickup. I just hope Vigen only promised him a QB battle and not the job.
Any head coach worth his salt would never promise anyone a starting job and I highly doubt they ever do. The season is over, no one is a starter anymore. Every job is open.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:22 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 pm
Nice pickup. I just hope Vigen only promised him a QB battle and not the job.
Any head coach worth his salt would never promise anyone a starting job and I highly doubt they ever do. The season is over, no one is a starter anymore. Every job is open.
There's no way on god's green earth Vigen promised Chambers the starting job. Tommy Mellott will QB MSU for the next three years. He's the best QB MSU has had in I'm not sure how long at this point. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:34 pm
msuhunter wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I'd be very, very surprised if Valladay signed with the Cats. I know the coaches are looking for a drop down or JC running back though to compliment Ifanse.
I wouldn’t! He’s a good RB but I don’t think he’s going to get many, if any big offers. I think he’d have a great year being a 1-2 punch with Ifanse. I’d say the chances of him landing here aren’t super high but a winning program and a coach he’s familiar with might play a big part.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:42 pm

Chris Murray’s style was different due to his crazy ability to seemingly never take a direct hit. It was commented on here at the time. Chris knew when to go crazy like doing full gainers over the gris. I thought about that when Tommy went flying. Perhaps study some film on Chris, learn a few more escape moves.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:44 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:42 pm
Chris Murray’s style was different due to his crazy ability to seemingly never take a direct hit. It was commented on here at the time. Chris knew when to go crazy like doing full gainers over the gris. I thought about that when Tommy went flying. Perhaps study some film on Chris, learn a few more escape moves.
Agree, but I do remember Chris taking one really nasty hit against Idaho State where I believe he got his helmet knocked off. Chris took one play off but came right back.

Found it in my files.

Last edited by AFCAT on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:52 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Plus, in 22 games at QB for MSU, only 3 times did Murray have more than 20 carries, with the most being 26 against the Griz in the final game of his MSU career.

For comparison, Tommy has games of 25, 17, and 34 rushes in his 4 starts and 3 before getting injured against NDSU.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:07 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:33 pm
msuhunter wrote:
RickRund wrote:
With Neyor on the outside? Lol
Neyor signed with Tennessee.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:17 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:52 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Plus, in 22 games at QB for MSU, only 3 times did Murray have more than 20 carries, with the most being 26 against the Griz in the final game of his MSU career.

For comparison, Tommy has games of 25, 17, and 34 rushes in his 4 starts and 3 before getting injured against NDSU.
He'll get hurt again. It's only a matter of time. QBs get hurt a lot. Some more than others, but hardly any make it a career without getting injured significantly. If someone else is the QB, they'll get hurt, too. Prukop got hurt, even Fran Tarkenton got hurt in his 16th season. He only missed one game prior to that. He was known as The Scrambler because he ran the ball so often. He set the NFL record for rushing yards. The NFL in those days did little to protect QBs. Yet he went 16 years and only missed on game due to injury. Fran never quit playing the game his way.

Tommy Mellott needs to play the game the way he's comfortable playing it. If he changes his style to keep from getting hurt, then he's not going to the be the player he wants to be.

I predict he wins a national title for MSU if he does what he does. Great QB.

toM StUber

KIX
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by KIX » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:15 pm

rivercat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:10 pm
KIX wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:08 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:12 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:46 am
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:23 am
I'll get roasted for this but Tommy has a long ways to go as a passer if we want to be an NC caliber team. Can he do it in the offseason? I sure wouldn't bet against him. But he can't run 20-30 times a game for 13+ games.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see a two-QB system like NDSU ran Saturday.

We'll have a good competition in the spring and likely into fall camp - Mellott, Chambers, Jordan Reed, Casey Bauman and let's no forget Sean Austin who was a 2 star QB at Kuna, ID who is a dual-threat type of guy.

At the very least I think we're going to see some new blood at QB and hopefully some better play than we've been accustomed to the last 6 years at MSU.
I won't roast you and i won't disagree that he needs to develop as a passer, but i think the way Vigen has talked about him he believes that development is already well underway. I believe he's the starter and someone has to take it from him, though. I don't believe there's an open competition. Tommy is ascending, he had shown advancement each week in the middle of a playoff run. Also, there's the intangibles. The team seemed ready to follow this kid. He's a Montana kid, from a town known as one that instills "toughness." In my view that stuff has real value. Results obviously have to follow but they have so far.
I do absolutely agree that he can't survive running like he did against sdsu. I can't imagine that would be the plan with a full offseason program to develop.
I agree. Vigen has a great track record with the QB position. If he thinks Chambers will help the program than I have confidence he will. I am not surprised we brought in an experienced drop down. The way Vigen talks about Tommy, I think Tommy will be the starter next year. He has those intangibles that make him stand out. As mentioned though, with a running QB, you need to have a couple of very good back-ups. Also, good competition is going to make Tommy better. I don't think anyone will outwork Tommy. It is going to be fun to watch how it all develops. Next, I hope we can find some good drop down OL and DL line guys.
Vigen has a great track record with QB's except for this year at MSU. He certainly had google eyes for McKay. This coaching staff couldn't recognize Tommy's talent all year long...Spring ball, Summer, Fall camp and they still settled on a milk toast in McKay? Hmmm...
You mean except for the one year he didn't have his recruits at the QB position and used what the prior staff had brought in?

You mean that Tommy was ready to start against WY and the coaches just couldn't see it?
So, he can't evaluate inherited team talent? Ha, that is his job!! I would've taken TM from the get-go. Couldn't have been worse than McKay and we saw first hand what Rovig could do last Saturday.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:25 pm

KIX wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:15 pm
rivercat wrote:
KIX wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
I'll get roasted for this but Tommy has a long ways to go as a passer if we want to be an NC caliber team. Can he do it in the offseason? I sure wouldn't bet against him. But he can't run 20-30 times a game for 13+ games.

We'll have a good competition in the spring and likely into fall camp - Mellott, Chambers, Jordan Reed, Casey Bauman and let's no forget Sean Austin who was a 2 star QB at Kuna, ID who is a dual-threat type of guy.

At the very least I think we're going to see some new blood at QB and hopefully some better play than we've been accustomed to the last 6 years at MSU.
I won't roast you and i won't disagree that he needs to develop as a passer, but i think the way Vigen has talked about him he believes that development is already well underway. I believe he's the starter and someone has to take it from him, though. I don't believe there's an open competition. Tommy is ascending, he had shown advancement each week in the middle of a playoff run. Also, there's the intangibles. The team seemed ready to follow this kid. He's a Montana kid, from a town known as one that instills "toughness." In my view that stuff has real value. Results obviously have to follow but they have so far.
I do absolutely agree that he can't survive running like he did against sdsu. I can't imagine that would be the plan with a full offseason program to develop.
I agree. Vigen has a great track record with the QB position. If he thinks Chambers will help the program than I have confidence he will. I am not surprised we brought in an experienced drop down. The way Vigen talks about Tommy, I think Tommy will be the starter next year. He has those intangibles that make him stand out. As mentioned though, with a running QB, you need to have a couple of very good back-ups. Also, good competition is going to make Tommy better. I don't think anyone will outwork Tommy. It is going to be fun to watch how it all develops. Next, I hope we can find some good drop down OL and DL line guys.
Vigen has a great track record with QB's except for this year at MSU. He certainly had google eyes for McKay. This coaching staff couldn't recognize Tommy's talent all year long...Spring ball, Summer, Fall camp and they still settled on a milk toast in McKay? Hmmm...
You mean except for the one year he didn't have his recruits at the QB position and used what the prior staff had brought in?

You mean that Tommy was ready to start against WY and the coaches just couldn't see it?
So, he can't evaluate inherited team talent? Ha, that is his job!! I would've taken TM from the get-go. Couldn't have been worse than McKay and we saw first hand what Rovig could do last Saturday.
Again, mckay was the best choice until Tommy developed his passing and mastery of the offense. No way you're starting a freshman in a new offense to begin the season, on a team with championship aspirations. Mckay played well at times, and the change during the bye week was handled correctly imo. I think you've got this one wrong.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:43 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:25 pm
KIX wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:15 pm
rivercat wrote:
KIX wrote:
bobcatbob wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Again, mckay was the best choice until Tommy developed his passing and mastery of the offense. No way you're starting a freshman in a new offense to begin the season, on a team with championship aspirations. Mckay played well at times, and the change during the bye week was handled correctly imo. I think you've got this one wrong.
I agree 100%. I attended almost every Fall camp practice. McKay was clearly the frontrunner. Tommy was learning and worked hard but was nowhere near ready. He had come a long way when he took over as a starter. McKay was fine up until he started regressing the last few games. We had only lost one game with him as QB going into the Griz game. I heard that it was some medical issues he was having that led to the regression. I agree that Vigen handled the change correctly.