2022 transfer portal tracker

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Re: 2022 transfer portal tracker

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:34 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:32 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:20 pm
BStinsMSU wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:25 pm
I think our WR room is pretty solid but I have no doubt there’s search for a grad transfer bigger body to replace Stewart. I think the Smith/Gardner/WP/Dowler/Patterson rotation is still pretty talented, just pretty raw overall and undersized
Not sure I agree with a deep WR room. In my opinion, if we were deep, we would’ve seen more receptions from guys. Not knowing the exact numbers but I’d be shocked if after McCutcheon, there was anyone with 25+ receptions. Not trying to pick on anyone in particular but McCutcheon was ‘the’ go to guy all season. Others were capable but the QBs favored 86. Was it because they trusted him or did he get open more or did he fight harder for balls in flight? 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Again, not knowing numbers, I’d bet 86 had 65%+ of the receptions? Can someone verify or deny, honestly?
I agree and I'd bet that 65% is a low percentage, especially if we're only talking WRs.
I was being generous cuz I don’t want to get into a giant pissing match. Lol

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 pm

coloradocat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:
I think our WR room is pretty solid but I have no doubt there’s search for a grad transfer bigger body to replace Stewart. I think the Smith/Gardner/WP/Dowler/Patterson rotation is still pretty talented, just pretty raw overall and undersized
Not sure I agree with a deep WR room. In my opinion, if we were deep, we would’ve seen more receptions from guys. Not knowing the exact numbers but I’d be shocked if after McCutcheon, there was anyone with 25+ receptions. Not trying to pick on anyone in particular but McCutcheon was ‘the’ go to guy all season. Others were capable but the QBs favored 86. Was it because they trusted him or did he get open more or did he fight harder for balls in flight? 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Again, not knowing numbers, I’d bet 86 had 65%+ of the receptions? Can someone verify or deny, honestly?
I agree and I'd bet that 65% is a low percentage, especially if we're only talking WRs.
And this is exactly why he set a single season yards record. He'd have had an even better year without the drops.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:44 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:34 pm
coloradocat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:

I was being generous cuz I don’t want to get into a giant pissing match. Lol
I just looked it up and Willie caught more passes than I thought. Lance (or Lanc in two cases according to the stats listed on the team website) caught 63 of the 129 WR receiptions for 48%. Willie/Willi had 31 and Jaden Smith had 12.

I'd say the room has potential but so far it's very raw. A transfer would have every opportunity to have a Lance-type year.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:37 pm
coloradocat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:

And this is exactly why he set a single season yards record. He'd have had an even better year without the drops.
He would have had a better season if McKay was able to get the ball in his vicinity when Lance was wide open. He didn't drop many easy balls.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:41 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:29 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:

He would have had a better season if McKay was able to get the ball in his vicinity when Lance was wide open. He didn't drop many easy balls.
I think you’re all probably right, but I also think that the only pass our offense could execute is the “go be the better receiver in man coverage 20 yards downfield” which Lance was, pretty much every time, and that’s gonna give him a shot at the next level. I think the talent (exclude Smith) is we have a deep room of quick footed, speedy slot receivers who can create space at the line of scrimmage in short-medium levels passing. I don’t think McKay had the arm strength to make those passes happen. But I think our offense will evolve and to do my best off season arm chair coaching, I’d think to go along with the receivers we have, there will be a great deal of bubble screen/slant/drag concepts to just let really fast dudes get in space to compliment Ifanse/Mellott/Chambers running through people.

Alright Vigen, you can send my check in the mail. Hope I saved you some time this off-season I fixed everything and I’ve been known to never be wrong

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 am

BStinsMSU wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:41 pm
rivercat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:

I think you’re all probably right, but I also think that the only pass our offense could execute is the “go be the better receiver in man coverage 20 yards downfield” which Lance was, pretty much every time, and that’s gonna give him a shot at the next level. I think the talent (exclude Smith) is we have a deep room of quick footed, speedy slot receivers who can create space at the line of scrimmage in short-medium levels passing. I don’t think McKay had the arm strength to make those passes happen. But I think our offense will evolve and to do my best off season arm chair coaching, I’d think to go along with the receivers we have, there will be a great deal of bubble screen/slant/drag concepts to just let really fast dudes get in space to compliment Ifanse/Mellott/Chambers running through people.

Alright Vigen, you can send my check in the mail. Hope I saved you some time this off-season I fixed everything and I’ve been known to never be wrong
Won’t be many slants or drags. I think we’ve seen maybe 10 passes over the middle in the past 35yrs. We threw a pass over the middle to Willie Patterson once.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:16 am

And over the middle to Andrew Patterson when Matt Snell picked off three defenders at once. I watched that play over and over as it was amazing how he cleared out. What ever happened to Andrew Patterson? Kid showed serious wheels on that touchdown.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:04 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 am
BStinsMSU wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:41 pm
rivercat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
BStinsMSU wrote:

Won’t be many slants or drags. I think we’ve seen maybe 10 passes over the middle in the past 35yrs. We threw a pass over the middle to Willie Patterson once.
It’s week 1 of the off-season. I’m in dream big mode

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:52 am

Does anyone know if there is a good site where you can track players that enter the portal (from MSU specifically)?

Honestly I’m surprised there has not been more names pop up at this point of MSU players moving on...? Every year there will be a handful no matter what, and I would think most of them would do it asap, so they increase their chances/opportunities of getting picked up...

Side note- but I hope we don’t lose anyone! I think it says a lot about the program’s culture and direction, if just a few players are leaving.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:38 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:52 am
Does anyone know if there is a good site where you can track players that enter the portal (from MSU specifically)?

Honestly I’m surprised there has not been more names pop up at this point of MSU players moving on...? Every year there will be a handful no matter what, and I would think most of them would do it asap, so they increase their chances/opportunities of getting picked up...

Side note- but I hope we don’t lose anyone! I think it says a lot about the program’s culture and direction, if just a few players are leaving.
Bobcat Nation or follow every player on Twitter or on Instagram. If an MSU player goes in the portal, you’ll probably read it here within minutes.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:48 am

Added Ravi Alston to the list.

Am I missing anyone else who has entered the portal from the bobcats? Only having 2 confirmed at this point is shocking to me!... maybe I’m just used to the choate years, where we would have lost around 30 players by now. Hahaha

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:41 pm

Just heard an interesting comment from Ross Tucker on the Dan Patrick Show. He said coaches have told him that they love the transfer portal because the players can only transfer without penalty once whereas high school recruits are all free agents that could leave at any time. The transfers have to make it work on their new team.

I think the likelihood of in-state HS recruits transferring out is very low so the real risk is out of state kids. I wonder if we'll start to spend less time recruiting out of state HS players and focus on the portal instead.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:31 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:41 pm
Just heard an interesting comment from Ross Tucker on the Dan Patrick Show. He said coaches have told him that they love the transfer portal because the players can only transfer without penalty once whereas high school recruits are all free agents that could leave at any time. The transfers have to make it work on their new team.

I think the likelihood of in-state HS recruits transferring out is very low so the real risk is out of state kids. I wonder if we'll start to spend less time recruiting out of state HS players and focus on the portal instead.
There's definitely good and bad with that. It's good when we can pick up a good player, bad if we lose someone we have penciled in to the starting lineup for the next few years.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:19 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:31 pm
coloradocat wrote:

There's definitely good and bad with that. It's good when we can pick up a good player, bad if we lose someone we have penciled in to the starting lineup for the next few years.
Yeah, this kind of dawned on me thinking about Jared White signing at the 11th hour. He's a guy who thought he had better prospects out there. I can't help but think him coming to MSU at the 11th hour is like a guy who's settling for a junior college right out of high school until he can prove himself. I'm not saying he's doing that by any means, but with the ease of transferring, you'd have to think those stretch guys we used to love are a little higher risk prospects. Maybe there's a sweet spot in there where you're trying not to bring the blue chippers in just to get them ready to play at a higher level. Whether teams want to shop the portal or not, they may be forced to because players will move after two years.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:33 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:19 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:31 pm
coloradocat wrote:

Yeah, this kind of dawned on me thinking about Jared White signing at the 11th hour. He's a guy who thought he had better prospects out there. I can't help but think him coming to MSU at the 11th hour is like a guy who's settling for a junior college right out of high school until he can prove himself. I'm not saying he's doing that by any means, but with the ease of transferring, you'd have to think those stretch guys we used to love are a little higher risk prospects. Maybe there's a sweet spot in there where you're trying not to bring the blue chippers in just to get them ready to play at a higher level. Whether teams want to shop the portal or not, they may be forced to because players will move after two years.
If we can get more than one player drafted per decade we'll be able to get and keep a lot of guys that are low end FBS types. Unfortunately we're in a chicken and egg situation right now. We can't get those guys because we rarely get anyone to the NFL, much left drafted, and we can't get guys to the NFL because we don't get enough tweener recruits to come here and stay all the way through.

If we can develop guys just a little more than we did with Hardy/Kidd/Lance to get them from UDFA to late round picks then we should start pulling in more guys that realize they can still make it out of MSU.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:24 pm

[media] [/media]

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:38 pm

Any other players that have entered the transfer portal at this point (confirmed)?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Team10 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:24 pm
[media] [/media]
All the best Matthew.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:21 pm

imacat wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 pm
Team10 wrote:
[media] [/media]
All the best Matthew.
He'll need all the best wishes he can get. Elon's 2021 roster has a whopping SEVEN QB's on it. Only one is a senior.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:24 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:21 pm
imacat wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 pm
Team10 wrote:
[media] [/media]
All the best Matthew.
He'll need all the best wishes he can get. Elon's 2021 roster has a whopping SEVEN QB's on it. Only one is a senior.
Look at the 2022. Lost several.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back