What is needed to beat NDSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

What is needed to beat NDSU?

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:51 pm

The Answer- We need to have an undefeated regular season. Getting us a higher seed in the playoffs, forcing a home game in Bozeman.

As i see it, this is really our only chance. Getting home field advantage, which is HUGE in Bozeman. NDSU is not changing, they haven't changed for 9 years now. Yes, we can keep getting bigger, stronger, etc...... but so are they.... I really think our only chance is to get them to come to Bozeman.

random thought. go cats. helluva season!!!!!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

ruralcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: What is needed to beat NDSU?

Post by ruralcat » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:00 pm

We need to be bigger up front in both sides of the ball. Plain and simple. As much as it pains me especially I’m defense. The Bison center never lost a battle all day.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:01 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:51 pm
The Answer- We need to have an undefeated regular season. Getting us a higher seed in the playoffs, forcing a home game in Bozeman.

As i see it, this is really our only chance. Getting home field advantage, which is HUGE in Bozeman. NDSU is not changing, they haven't changed for 9 years now. Yes, we can keep getting bigger, stronger, etc...... but so are they.... I really think our only chance is to get them to come to Bozeman.

Getting them on the same side of the bracket in Bozeman would we about our best shot.

tdub

Post by tdub » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:03 pm

Today’s game was decided in the battle of their Oline vs our Dline. That’s literally it. Get better there and everything improves.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:12 pm

Better OL and DL. And as great as Troy is at so many things, he isn’t great at taking on blocks. Need some backers who can do that.

It’s tough. The Bison are very good and have a lot of advantages. The get the very best of the borderline FBS players.

ibleedblue
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ibleedblue » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:15 pm

What is really interesting is if there was a year to beat ndsu in the chipper, this was it. They have everyone back and will be even better next year.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:30 pm

ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:15 pm
What is really interesting is if there was a year to beat ndsu in the chipper, this was it. They have everyone back and will be even better next year.
I think the word your thinking of is depressing. That is really depressing

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:31 pm

We need to play on a different surface. We may not have qon but it's a much more even game.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:32 pm

Better O line and Better D line. We got killed up front.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:53 pm

NDSU beats teams on the line of scrimmage. Their QB wasn't touched all day and the RBs were already 7-8 yards downfield before contact was made. On the other side of the ball, their d-line made it impossible to get our game plan going.

We need to continue getting bigger, stronger, and more deep on the lines. Great skill players are awesome to have, but the lines need to be our key emphasis in recruiting.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:58 pm

I thought our o-line was ok today. Yards were tough, but there. Roving had a few nice throws early that were dropped that would’ve put us in scoring position.
But our d-line got pushed around all game long. How many first down 8-9 yard runs did they have? Third and longs? We got handled up front and blockers got to the second level. That is where we need the most improvement, which hurts to say because that was a strength all year long.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:03 pm

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:58 pm
I thought our o-line was ok today. Yards were tough, but there. Roving had a few nice throws early that were dropped that would’ve put us in scoring position.
But our d-line got pushed around all game long. How many first down 8-9 yard runs did they have? Third and longs? We got handled up front and blockers got to the second level. That is where we need the most improvement, which hurts to say because that was a strength all year long.
Agreed, I feel that our O line held their own. Wasn’t great, but they weren’t a liability by any means. Our D line vs their O line is where this game was lost. And it’s not close.

Size wise, that’s an NFL O line that NDSU is putting out there. Running our 250-260lb Dlineman is only going to get so far against those guys. We need two Chase Bensons out there on the interior to help take up blocks and get a push to free up the DE’s a bit, and unfortunately today we didn’t have that.

FA_Q_M
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FA_Q_M » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:14 pm

Simple answer: invest big time in recruiting offensive and defensive linemen.

It is very clear, and it blows my mind, that NDSUs BIGS are dominant. They almost literally have an NFL offensive line.

No matter how much some things change, some things stay the same: football is a game won and lost by big men. True at every level.

In this era of video game and fantasy football, it's sometimes forgotten.

I'm hoping this is Vigen's plan

the ghost of cat_stache_fever

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:16 pm

I think I could be a 100 yd rusher behind their line!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:22 pm

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
I think the field conditions favored the OL today. Entz said as much in his post game presser. Running to the perimeter was also a problem. Running between the tackles is NDSU's specialty, we are better at running on the edge, the conditions played to NDSU's strength and diminished our strength.

By far not the only reason we lost but it was another factor.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:06 pm

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
They converted at least 4 3rd and 7 or longers that I remember. We are a read and react defense and we couldn't do that on that field. We had several chances to get off the field on their first drive and gave up big plays on 3rd...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:10 pm

It’s almost like you have to build a team to run power between the tackles on that joke of a football field.

Bear Spray II
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bear Spray II » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:18 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

We have to get better. We're getting better, but we and the rest of the FCS aren't closing the gap with NDSU. Depth at QB killed us today. I can't wait to see who transfers in for Vigen this year, and who the new coaches are. We need an indoor practice facility. We need to keep the faith - what a fantastic, fun season, so proud to be a Bobcat!!

406Fanatic
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 406Fanatic » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

Um.....NDSU just beat you on a neutral site.

406Fanatic
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 406Fanatic » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:24 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:22 pm
MTCowpoke22 wrote:
I think the field conditions favored the OL today. Entz said as much in his post game presser. Running to the perimeter was also a problem. Running between the tackles is NDSU's specialty, we are better at running on the edge, the conditions played to NDSU's strength and diminished our strength.

By far not the only reason we lost but it was another factor.
Both teams play at home on artificial turf. Both teams played on the same field. No advantage one way or another.