What is needed to beat NDSU?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: What is needed to beat NDSU?

Post by rivercat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:23 pm

GOB1SON wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:02 pm
I have a few thoughts (and I'm not trolling or at least don't think I am)

When NDSU moved up back in the early 2000's they played UNI and just got decimated on the line. Skill players were fairly even, and they had a chance to win the game but gave up something like 10 sacks. That was the turning point for Bohl and company (including your head coach). It showed what needed to be done to win at the FCS level and since then the staff has put together a hell of a recipe to recruit and develop linemen that get the job done. SDSU has followed that model (obviously) and is very tough.

SDSU just matches up will with NDSU. Not sure why. This year they won the LOS easily and not sure if it was scheme or what. The NDSU Oline played much better after the loss, so not sure if there were changes made there to scheme or personnel or what or maybe just decided they didn't like getting their asses kicked.

The idea that the MVFC is weak is, I don't know, silly? It is a big, physical league that for the most part plays power football and has great football traditions and facilities. NDSU hasn't "owned" the league outright, it is usually a split title between the Bison and the Jacks or ISU-Red or UNI. Take a look at NDSU's winning margin over the past several years, it's not like they are blowing out these teams. MVFC is pretty good football and the games with the top 5-6 teams are always very competitive and usually come down to the end.

Any Given Saturday played out at the championship game. MSU is a very good team (as an aggie and a land-grant guy, I cheer for the cats regularly). But that Saturday everything gelled for NDSU and they would have won most bowl games at the FBS level (obviously not the big ones, but anyone think Wake Forest or Pittsburgh blows them out?) So it isn't a really great measure of how good the cats are or if it was just the day.

Money has been talked about here, but I'll give you a little on NDSU and it starts with season ticket prices. Seats lower on the 50 are $3K per. Even on the 30 are $1500-2000 per season. I've never seen any other FCS team charge that much (granted I haven't looked around all that much either). It gives the booster club a hell of an advantage for COA and coaches, etc... You can get a season ticket package at UND for under $150; just the tickets at NDSU are over $300 and then there are the seat fees.

That said, I really believe you have the right coach (ND guy!) that can bring the right system. The truth is, with JMU and SHSU moving up there is gonna be a vacuum in the top tier and no reason why MSU can't fill that void. Looks like you are on the right path.
Thanks for your post. You're definitely not trolling. I think you confirmed what most of us knew to be true. I was surprised at the price of your season tickets. I see MSU raising ticket prices because right now demand surpasses supply.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:31 pm

No rational Bobcat fan thinks the MVFC is weak. I think if they didn’t have the Bison they would be basically even with the BSC. With them they are the better conference.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:55 am

Money. A whole lot of money

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:46 am

Stunning. Absolutely stunning.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:22 am

Wow

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:27 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:55 am
Not to take anything away from this, it's a big deal, but the "What It Takes Campaign" raised $413 million for MSU. The goal was $300 million. The amount of money raised in these campaigns is eye popping to say the least.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:24 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:27 am
Montanabob wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:55 am
Not to take anything away from this, it's a big deal, but the "What It Takes Campaign" raised $413 million for MSU. The goal was $300 million. The amount of money raised in these campaigns is eye popping to say the least.
Yeah but the ndsu money is all going to sports. 😉

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Prep for going FBS.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."