Force NDSU to move up

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Force NDSU to move up

Post by catsack » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:32 am

MTnative wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:51 pm
Seriously. The bison are NOT good for FCS football.

Discuss.
I nominate this for dumbest thread of the century!!

85CatGrad

Post by 85CatGrad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:16 am

I asked a couple of Bizon fans the move up question and they said they would like to see their program take that step. They admitted while they enjoy the success at the FCS level, their fan base is becoming complacent. They have had success at every level, so I would expect they would have much success at the next level as well.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:14 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:16 am
I asked a couple of Bizon fans the move up question and they said they would like to see their program take that step. They admitted while they enjoy the success at the FCS level, their fan base is becoming complacent. They have had success at every level, so I would expect they would have much success at the next level as well.

That was my question on the 1st page. I don’t understand why THEY (the bison program) don’t want to move up??? Or maybe they do and something is holding them back?

They would be a legit top 20 team at the FBS level.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:24 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:14 pm
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

That was my question on the 1st page. I don’t understand why THEY (the bison program) don’t want to move up??? Or maybe they do and something is holding them back?

Why move up when the best they could hope for is some also-ran bowl game in Boise or Tucson that nobody cares about?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:27 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:24 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

Why move up when the best they could hope for is some also-ran bowl game in Boise or Tucson that nobody cares about?
I don’t know if I agree with that. I think they could be a legit team at the next level.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:40 pm

PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

Agreed

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:42 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:27 pm
PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

I don’t know if I agree with that. I think they could be a legit team at the next level.
They probably want to be in a big time P5 conference. I think the Big 12 is within reach in the next few years. They would have to add sports. They hung around D2 much longer than they should’ve imo.

While they seem to always play their best* game vs MSU, I think NDSU is a FBS top 25 team every year the past 11 years.

*I may be biased due to that.

Their OL is insane.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

85CatGrad

Post by 85CatGrad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm

PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

Are you serious? Seems pretty obvious to me and all the other teams that have taken that route over the years. To be the best, you have to compete with and beat the best. They have done that resoundingly at the FCS level and have nothing more to prove. I would guess they would have similar success to what Boise State has enjoyed. That program has thrived since moving up.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:47 pm

Like everyone, I’d love to know how the game would’ve played out with Mellott in there. He’s a special player. The injury put the game on an entirely different tangent.

NDSU’s OL is so viscous though. My word. We always laugh when someone says scary good, but it fits in this case. They make life so easy for all their running backs.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:53 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

Are you serious? Seems pretty obvious to me and all the other teams that have taken that route over the years. To be the best, you have to compete with and beat the best. They have done that resoundingly at the FCS level and have nothing more to prove. I would guess they would have similar success to what Boise State has enjoyed. That program has thrived since moving up.
They’d paste BSU. Probably better than 9-10 PAC 12 teams. Top 5 easily in Big 12. A couple years ago they put six players in the draft. Four straight QBs have either been drafted or gotten shots. 5-6 former OL starting in NFL.

Certainly the NCAA needs to redo the divisions.

toM StUber

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:04 pm

I can't see NDSU ever being in a P5 conference. They don't fit institutionally or geographically. If the NCAA changes the current P5, G5, FCS definitions and classifications, that may change everything.

And it appears that some think that NDSU can just go join an FBS conference. They have to be invited. I wouldn't doubt they could get an invite from the Sunbelt or other lowly G5 conference, but that puts them in contention for a crappy who cares bowl.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:20 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:27 pm
PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

They’d be solid but they aren’t getting into a P5 conference and they aren’t exactly a recruiting hot spot. I don’t even see Boise State as a template for them to have success at the G5 level.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:32 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm
PapaG wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:
pop

Which team in the last three decades other than Boise State has moved to 1-A/FBS and played in a thing other than the Boise-level bowls. Not only are they low-tier bowl games, but they are often played in locations that aren’t exactly Miami or Los Angelos.

If the idea is to celebrate an 8-4 season with a December trip to Detroit, then I agree it’s a good move.

MSU’s two home playoff games outdrew several bowl games this winter because those games matter, IMO.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:35 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:04 pm
I can't see NDSU ever being in a P5 conference. They don't fit institutionally or geographically. If the NCAA changes the current P5, G5, FCS definitions and classifications, that may change everything.

And it appears that some think that NDSU can just go join an FBS conference. They have to be invited. I wouldn't doubt they could get an invite from the Sunbelt or other lowly G5 conference, but that puts them in contention for a crappy who cares bowl.
Mountain West seems like a solid landing spot after the Big 12 poaches some of their better programs and that at least gives a very remote chance at being in a NY6 bowl. Even with expanded playoffs the likelihood of getting a shot at the championship is spread over almost 70 teams on that tier.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:45 pm

As a counterpoint, Appalachian State used to dominate 1-AA and I can’t tell you a single thing about them since they moved up divisions. They even beat a Michigan team on the road that ended up a 9-4 team and closed their season by beating #9 Florida in their bowl game.

Since their move to FBS, Appalachian State has played in 7 bowl games against the Toledos and Ohios of FBS in front of thousands of empty seats. Whoopity doo.

What a ride

QRS
New Recruit

Post by QRS » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:00 pm

The Winchester Brothers couldn't beat the Thundering Herd.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:14 pm

No way they get a P5 invite with a stadium that seats 18,700.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:19 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:45 pm
As a counterpoint, Appalachian State used to dominate 1-AA and I can’t tell you a single thing about them since they moved up divisions. They even beat a Michigan team on the road that ended up a 9-4 team and closed their season by beating #9 Florida in their bowl game.

Since their move to FBS, Appalachian State has played in 7 bowl games against the Toledos and Ohios of FBS in front of thousands of empty seats. Whoopity doo.
To counter that. App State was very good, not absolutely not anywhere even in the ballpark of dominate in the same way NDSU has been. I’d compare them to gris from mid 90’s to 2010, James Madison of the last decade. To me, the current MSU teams would be pretty competitive with those teams. But NDSU is clearly ahead of the entire pack by a mile. Their style of football would translate well in my opinion.

But back on the thread topic, I personally don’t want them to move up. I want to beat them. Also I don’t think they’ll move up, there’s way too many other factors at play beyond football success.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:20 pm

Bizun 86 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:42 am
Bizun 86 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:01 pm
catinthezoo wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm
Seriously??? Step up and get better. NDSU deserves every bit of praise they get, but they should not be forced to move up. We and everyone else need to step up. A little bit of their run on the championships is because prior dominant schools with dominant cultures at FCS level like Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, and Marshal have moved up, taking away top end competitors (you know, like the Gris winning the conference for a decade after Boise State, Nevada-Reno, and a once damn good fcs Idaho left the big sky).

Plus, Tommy stays healthy today and that is a totally different game. JMU was right there (another school that should not be moving up), the NDSU DB just made a great play at the end. Plus Banks clearly had half his game plan brain in Colorado Springs the past three weeks. Speaking of the Rams, that’s is what the Bison would be if they moved up.

Today sucked.
Tommy plays defense too? This game would have been a blowout with or without your QB. The Bizun took their foot off the gas. Men against boys is what I saw today.
Thanks for coming on here and kicking us while we are down. Now please go away for another year.
84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:42 am
Bizun 86 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:01 pm
catinthezoo wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm
Seriously??? Step up and get better. NDSU deserves every bit of praise they get, but they should not be forced to move up. We and everyone else need to step up. A little bit of their run on the championships is because prior dominant schools with dominant cultures at FCS level like Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, and Marshal have moved up, taking away top end competitors (you know, like the Gris winning the conference for a decade after Boise State, Nevada-Reno, and a once damn good fcs Idaho left the big sky).

Plus, Tommy stays healthy today and that is a totally different game. JMU was right there (another school that should not be moving up), the NDSU DB just made a great play at the end. Plus Banks clearly had half his game plan brain in Colorado Springs the past three weeks. Speaking of the Rams, that’s is what the Bison would be if they moved up.

Today sucked.
Tommy plays defense too? This game would have been a blowout with or without your QB. The Bizun took their foot off the gas. Men against boys is what I saw today.
Thanks for coming on here and kicking us while we are down. Now please go away for another year.
The amount of arrogant comments on here by you folks leading up to this game. Better athletes, nobody's scoring 30 on this great defense, Anderson isn't the only great player on D...
You deserve what you're getting. Maybe next time you wanna consider buying out the game as you're chicken ****** program has been known to do! N need to talk o ya next year because you won't be n a position to. We will. G BIZUN!
How pathetic are you? You just win the National championship and you have to go to the opponents website to gloat. Did even spend any time celebrating? What a loser?

And how many MSU fans did you say this to directly in Frisco? Zero I am sure. Internet tough guy loser.

HerdThat
New Recruit

Post by HerdThat » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:14 pm

Hi all, Bison fan here.

Just wanted to add to some points that have been talked about here:

1. NDSU fans would have liked to have Tommy play the whole game. It wouldn't have changed the outcome of who won, but it always sucks to have your QB1 go down and not play. Bobcats would have scored a bit more, but the NDSU Oline was so far beyond what the Bocats defense could handle, it would not have changed to overall outcome of NDSU winning.

2. NDSU can't move up unless they get a conference invite. And even then, $$$$ comes into play. It's tough to move up unless they can raise a ton of money year in and year out from donors. Not to mention, most conferences don't want us due to geographic isolation and small market. If the money was there, and the invite was there, NDSU would be FBS. Stars would need to align in order for that to happen. North Dakota is just so small population wise, and they have two "major" colleges, so that hurts with state funding being split, and fan base/donor money being split. Granted NDSU probably has 80% of the fan base, but it makes a difference. Especially when it comes to donors, that extra 20% makes a large difference.

3. Great turnout by MSU fans. Especially considering weather and flight cancellations due to Rona.

4. Someone mentioned that the 3.4k/year that athletes get at NDSU is a game changer...we won 4 titles before that even was in place, so it has nothing to do with the meager 3.4k that they get.

Thanks!