Force NDSU to move up

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Martin lewis
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Force NDSU to move up

Post by Martin lewis » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:31 pm

North Dakota has 29 kids from Minnesota on the travel roster and most of their offense and defense line are from Minnesota. We need to get into that recruiting territory and get some of those kids.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:35 pm

Martin lewis wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:31 pm
North Dakota has 29 kids from Minnesota on the travel roster and most of their offense and defense line are from Minnesota. We need to get into that recruiting territory and get some of those kids.

You mean like Lewis Kidd?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:43 pm

Martin lewis wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:31 pm
I read something about this a few years ago. In a round about way, the coaching staff for Minnesota in the 2005-2012 range can be partially blamed for what we’re seeing.

At the time those coaches disregarded the local kids almost entirely and had looked elsewhere for their talent. This left a severely under recruited area that had plenty of D1 talent.

In comes NDSU who was relatively new to D1 at the time. They were able to scoop up a lot of those borderline FBS guys and get them to Fargo. Do that for a few years, see some success, and it becomes the machine it is now. They continue to get those borderline FBS guys consistently. Of course coaching and development is still a big part, but they’re getting highly skilled guys from the get go.

Even as Minnesota has improved, NDSU continues to put guys in the NFL consistently, so if you’re one of those borderline guys that may or may not get a chance to start at Minnesota, why not come to NDSU, probably win a few Natty’s and take your chances at getting an NFL look from there?

With all that said, this thread is dumb, we just need to continue to get better and beat them. It’s that simple. If we’re the 3 or 4th best team in the nation, I want to become #1 by beating the top teams, not by having the top teams leave.

catinthezoo
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catinthezoo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm

Seriously??? Step up and get better. NDSU deserves every bit of praise they get, but they should not be forced to move up. We and everyone else need to step up. A little bit of their run on the championships is because prior dominant schools with dominant cultures at FCS level like Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, and Marshal have moved up, taking away top end competitors (you know, like the Gris winning the conference for a decade after Boise State, Nevada-Reno, and a once damn good fcs Idaho left the big sky).

Plus, Tommy stays healthy today and that is a totally different game. JMU was right there (another school that should not be moving up), the NDSU DB just made a great play at the end. Plus Banks clearly had half his game plan brain in Colorado Springs the past three weeks. Speaking of the Rams, that’s is what the Bison would be if they moved up.

Today sucked.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:48 pm

MountainCat wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:32 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:03 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:57 pm
MountainCat wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:53 pm
Not trying to sound negative, but how in the world does them moving up make sense?!? Bottom line: They recruit college players. WE recruit college players. Today very clearly showed the gap in the players they recruit and the players we recruit. End of story… They had more beef and their horses are bigger and faster. It’s not their fault we didn’t play up to them, it’s the responsibility of our football staff to either recruit up to a different breed of athlete to put us on the same level as NDSU or be satisfied with very clearly occupying the next tier down…
I get what you are saying.... but literally EVERY team in the FCS is considered a "tier down" from NDSU.
All the top FCS schools recruit the exact same pool of athletes. NDSU just does a better job developing them.
Onceacat,

I’m certain there is a high percentage of crossover on recruiting, without question. NDSU consistently scouts, identifies, recruits, lands, and ultimately coaches up the highest number of bigger and better athletes year after year. Elite coaching with relatively low turnover and consistent top end results have to be hugely attractive for any football player. What an incredible recipe for winning results, their records speak for themselves. It was insanely obvious today how much better they were in the trenches than us, we need another level of player in a few spots to match that kind of play. It’ll be interesting to see in the off-season what Coach does with possible transfers to potentially get bigger up front, particularly on the D side.
If memory serves, Carson Wentz & Trey Lance went pretty much I recruited out of high school.

Add in that the playoffs create their own advantage. NDSU seniors have played something like 12 more games…or basically a full season more than MSUs seniors in their college careers. Hard to close that gap without making the semis (like JMU) for 5 straight years.

Bizun 86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bizun 86 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:01 pm

catinthezoo wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:46 pm
Seriously??? Step up and get better. NDSU deserves every bit of praise they get, but they should not be forced to move up. We and everyone else need to step up. A little bit of their run on the championships is because prior dominant schools with dominant cultures at FCS level like Georgia Southern, Appalachian State, and Marshal have moved up, taking away top end competitors (you know, like the Gris winning the conference for a decade after Boise State, Nevada-Reno, and a once damn good fcs Idaho left the big sky).

Plus, Tommy stays healthy today and that is a totally different game. JMU was right there (another school that should not be moving up), the NDSU DB just made a great play at the end. Plus Banks clearly had half his game plan brain in Colorado Springs the past three weeks. Speaking of the Rams, that’s is what the Bison would be if they moved up.

Today sucked.
Tommy plays defense too? This game would have been a blowout with or without your QB. The Bizun took their foot off the gas. Men against boys is what I saw today.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:10 pm

Sooner or later, someone is going to knock off the Bison. If the Cats keep building their program, there’s no reason it couldn’t be them.

They can’t move up if no one wants them. Football-wise, they’d accentuate a lot of conferences. But it’s about money, and they don’t bring a TV market that anyone’s eager to acquire.

I really don’t like the response of “make them leave because we can’t beat them.”

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:52 pm
lakesbison wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:37 pm
MTnative wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:51 pm
Seriously. The bison are NOT good for FCS football.

Discuss.
go bribe Craig Thompson of Mountain West for us please
Good game lakes, pretty impressive. Thanks for the frisco advice on here leading up to it.
youre welcome .. Nate, Nolan and anyone else from MSU that I drank w with this weekend... we had 2 freakin fun nights & tailgate!!!

catinthezoo
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catinthezoo » Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 pm

I agree Coach Entz took his foot off the gas. But we score a lot more and eat a lot of clock doing so. Congrats on the win, but I don’t agree it’s the butt kicking we received today with a healthy MSU QB.

The Great Catsby
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by The Great Catsby » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 pm

catinthezoo wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 pm
I agree Coach Entz took his foot off the gas. But we score a lot more and eat a lot of clock doing so. Congrats on the win, but I don’t agree it’s the butt kicking we received today with a healthy MSU QB.
I thought Rovig moved the ball decently considering the situation. A healthy Tommy and we look a lot better. But our defense did get manhandled and overall we played scared.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:35 pm

The Great Catsby wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:16 pm
catinthezoo wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:21 pm
I thought Rovig moved the ball decently considering the situation. A healthy Tommy and we look a lot better. But our defense did get manhandled and overall we played scared.
Lots of ideas for improvement. But how about preventing going backward? Why would Coach Banks disadvantage his own team like that? His move to Colorado State could certainly have been announced tomorrow instead of three weeks ago. The defense absolutely had to be impacted with the loss of a well-liked coach like that. Sign a secret deal with Colorado State. If they can’t keep a secret then they can’t be trusted anyway. This was a dagger and to watch them today was proof positive of the mental impact.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:42 am

Bizun 86 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:01 pm
catinthezoo wrote:

Today sucked.
Tommy plays defense too? This game would have been a blowout with or without your QB. The Bizun took their foot off the gas. Men against boys is what I saw today.
Thanks for coming on here and kicking us while we are down. Now please go away for another year.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:44 am

lakesbison wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:11 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:52 pm
lakesbison wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:37 pm
MTnative wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:51 pm
Seriously. The bison are NOT good for FCS football.

Discuss.
go bribe Craig Thompson of Mountain West for us please
Good game lakes, pretty impressive. Thanks for the frisco advice on here leading up to it.
youre welcome .. Nate, Nolan and anyone else from MSU that I drank w with this weekend... we had 2 freakin fun nights & tailgate!!!
I'll add my thanks for all the site and ticket wisdom you shared. And you stayed classy after the rout. Much appreciated.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:49 am

MountainCat wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:53 pm
Not trying to sound negative, but how in the world does them moving up make sense?!? Bottom line: They recruit college players. WE recruit college players. Today very clearly showed the gap in the players they recruit and the players we recruit. End of story… They had more beef and their horses are bigger and faster. It’s not their fault we didn’t play up to them, it’s the responsibility of our football staff to either recruit up to a different breed of athlete to put us on the same level as NDSU or be satisfied with very clearly occupying the next tier down…
And they pay their athletes $3,400/year (according to an 8/28/2015 article on Minnesota Public Radio News, perhaps that amount has increased since then) which comes from boosters. I do not know how significantly that helps recruiting but it sure can't hurt.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:05 am

This relevant article appeared in a South Dakota newspaper, the Argus Leader:

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sport ... 110961002/

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:03 am

Bizun 86 wrote:
catinthezoo wrote:

Today sucked.
If you understood football you wouldn't have to ask such a stupid question.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:58 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:49 am
And they pay their athletes $3,400/year (according to an 8/28/2015 article on Minnesota Public Radio News, perhaps that amount has increased since then) which comes from boosters. I do not know how significantly that helps recruiting but it sure can't hurt.
Hmmmm. Go to MSU-you get nice mountain views...go to NDSU-you get $3,400. What to choose, what to choose (from a poor college kid's perspective).

Bizun 86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bizun 86 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:42 am
Bizun 86 wrote:
catinthezoo wrote:

Today sucked.
Thanks for coming on here and kicking us while we are down. Now please go away for another year.
84CatGrad wrote:
Bizun 86 wrote:
catinthezoo wrote:

Today sucked.
The amount of arrogant comments on here by you folks leading up to this game. Better athletes, nobody's scoring 30 on this great defense, Anderson isn't the only great player on D...
You deserve what you're getting. Maybe next time you wanna consider buying out the game as you're chicken ****** program has been known to do! N need to talk o ya next year because you won't be n a position to. We will. G BIZUN!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:17 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:10 pm
It’s a joke. I don’t understand why THEY don’t want to move up?????

They could legitimately compete at the next level... like top 10 team at the next level.... forget how we all feel about it, don’t THEY want that?
Top 10 in FBS? No…

Nebraska north without the recruiting base and history is their FBS ceiling and instead of a destination job for elite young coaches it becomes a stepping stone program playing in what, the Mountain West?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:30 am

Bizun 86 wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:15 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Bizun 86 wrote:
catinthezoo wrote:

Today sucked.
84CatGrad wrote:
Bizun 86 wrote:
catinthezoo wrote:

Today sucked.
The amount of arrogant comments on here by you folks leading up to this game. Better athletes, nobody's scoring 30 on this great defense, Anderson isn't the only great player on D...
You deserve what you're getting. Maybe next time you wanna consider buying out the game as you're chicken ****** program has been known to do! N need to talk o ya next year because you won't be n a position to. We will. G BIZUN!
Do you feel better after this rant? Unless you played in the game, what’s the point of this other than showing your insecurities?

NDSU kicked the Bobcats’ ass. Congrats to their players and most of their alumni and boosters. If MSU was winning at their rate most of us would be thrilled. Sure beats playing in the Jimmy Kimmel Bowl in front of tens of thousands of empty seats.
Last edited by PapaG on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride